Free Agency Thread - 2018

People keep on knocking Hood. Why? Based on a handful of games with Clev. Short Memory. Hood averaged almost 17ppg and 39 from 3 in all his seasons with Utah.
If you bothered to watch Hood in the playoffs last year, you’ll see Clev made him a spot shooter with low usage. Not exactly a Hood strength.
Hood’s usage rate went down significantly in Clev. 17.3 compared to 28.7 in Utah.
In addition, he is a very good perimeter defender.

Unfortunately, there’s no stat for how many times you’ve made your man pick up his dribble. There are, however, stats that show Hood only gave up 0.75 points per possession on 46.2 percent shooting in isolation with the Cavs season (80th percentile) and hasn’t surrendered a point in isolation in the playoffs.

He’s surrendering just 0.63 points per possession to pick-and-roll ball-handlers this postseason and hasn’t surrendered a point to spot-up shooters. In fact, his lone problem area this postseason has been defending players coming off of screens (2.25 points per possession) and considering the Cavaliers’ switch-heavy scheme, it’s difficult to assess why that is although it could simply be a lack of communication from the backline.

In terms of simple stats like steals though, Hood is averaging 1.1 steals per 36 minutes this postseason (5th on the Cavs). Hood is certainly an alert defender and has turned quite a few solid defensive possessions into instant offense. He’s also has an 8’7 vertical. So, please don’t spout that he’s really a SG.

What about Brook Lopez? (would prefer Vucevic) The guy has turned into a 3 point shooter and can score around the rim he's soft as but he can block a shot he could help out a ton with Fox in terms of spacing the floor. Sign Lopez and trade WCS/JJ/Mason/Temple for a decent SF

What about Brook Lopez? (would prefer Vucevic) The guy has turned into a 3 point shooter and can score around the rim he's soft as but he can block a shot he could help out a ton with Fox in terms of spacing the floor. Sign Lopez and trade WCS/JJ/Mason/Temple for a decent SF
He's going back to the lakers most likely. I like Lopez but he's too old for the core and he'd undermine the Kings leverage in trading Willie.

Capela/Nurkic please. I still think Harry can be a solid starter, but you don’t pass on the best players in FA because they play center at this point

One thing to watch for is both Milwaukee and San Antonio are hard capped. That means we have the potential of making an offer to their restricted free agents that they can’t match.

I was blown out to see, per bleacher report, what the Spurs were asking the Lakers for Kawhi. Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, and two1st rounders.

Good luck, I would love to see the Lakers youth movement gutted but thats crazy thinking for a player who refuses to play for a team.

I was blown out to see, per bleacher report, what the Spurs were asking the Lakers for Kawhi. Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, and two1st rounders.

Good luck, I would love to see the Lakers youth movement gutted but thats crazy thinking for a player who refuses to play for a team.
Why help a rival on the cheap?

Now I agree that what they asked for is silly but by that same notion the Lakers are their rival and generally teams don't want to help their rivals if they can avoid it. Fleece them if you can, or sell to a team out east even if it's for a lesser price because in that scenario you stick it to the Lakers and more importantly you stick it to Kawhi.

Here's a crazy thing I saw on reddit... the Kings are only 3 years away from holding the longest playoff appearance drought of all time.

this has dramatically shifted my mind on the FAs this year. We need talent bad. I'm fine with anything now... Hood? sure. Parker? sure. Nurkic? sure.

How about 2yr deals? We're so horrible. We need as much talent as we can get.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Here's a crazy thing I saw on reddit... the Kings are only 3 years away from holding the longest playoff appearance drought of all time.

this has dramatically shifted my mind on the FAs this year. We need talent bad. I'm fine with anything now... Hood? sure. Parker? sure. Nurkic? sure.

with how lopsided the conferences are for the next couple of seasons and maybe for the forseeable future, the Kings holding the longest playoff drought might not seem so far fetched. The longest has to be courtesy of the Clippers, right?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I merged the Zach LaVine posts into the Zach LaVine thread. Seemed silly to have parallel discussions in two different threads. :)

Completely agree the current talent we have imo is not that good and the past 3-4 off seasons of only signing guys that have capped out or declined badly has really killed us. I'm for signing any player with above average talent/potential at this point i can hearing we are not in a win now mode but we never will be in a win now mode signing the likes of Temple/Rondo/KK/Z-Bo.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Completely agree the current talent we have imo is not that good and the past 3-4 off seasons of only signing guys that have capped out or declined badly has really killed us. I'm for signing any player with above average talent/potential at this point i can hearing we are not in a win now mode but we never will be in a win now mode signing the likes of Temple/Rondo/KK/Z-Bo.
...which is exactly why we need to quit looking so desperate to sign any free agent left available. I'd rather see us fill our roster from summer league players than grab another team's problem AGAIN. If we're truly committed to this rebuild/youth movement, we must quit settling for pieces that don't fit.

That's why I was cool the Hezonja stuff but I don't get the interest in LaVine. It makes far more sense to me to add a young SF, even if it's a Caboclo type and let guys grow together. We have a million SGs already, and some with legit NBA talent. If the Jackson and whatever young competition we find for him can't get it done let Bogdan/ Shump/Temple get those minutes while our guys expire for next year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That's why I was cool the Hezonja stuff but I don't get the interest in LaVine. It makes far more sense to me to add a young SF, even if it's a Caboclo type and let guys grow together. We have a million SGs already, and some with legit NBA talent. If the Jackson and whatever young competition we find for him can't get it done let Bogdan/ Shump/Temple get those minutes while our guys expire for next year.
I still remain unconvinced that there's really that much interest from the FO. It makes zero sense and we'd probably be Iguodala'd anyway. I don't see Vlade bringing anybody onto the team that doesn't definitively fill a need at this point.

I still remain unconvinced that there's really that much interest from the FO. It makes zero sense and we'd probably be Iguodala'd anyway. I don't see Vlade bringing anybody onto the team that doesn't definitively fill a need at this point.
I hope that's the case. I could see Vlade helping out agents who are trying to get their guy a better deal to garner some good will for next year. We'll see though.

Philly got a lot of players on the roster atm like 16 I would try snag Rashaun Holmes/Justin Anderson and TLC from them, Holmes is a double double with a couple blocks waiting to happened with enough playing time.

Well, if Vlade wants to go pure evil he can start offering RFA huge contracts down the list:
LaVine
Parker
Smart
Capela

All of those guys teams have indicated they will match, so why not send all of those teams into cap hell. ;) And all of those players and agents will owe the Kings a favor. Muahahaha.