Following 2018 draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t find any real basketball minds that are terribly high on Bamba. The quants (eg Kevin O’Connor) and basketball neophytes (eg Kevin O’Connor) seem bewitched by Bamba because wingspan. Are there any front offices in front of us that are overly reliant on quants? Dallas, maybe? Memphis’ owners?

Jerry West built some great teams with differing characteristics, but he had a knack for finding guys who loved the game and played hard (also signed Shaq who was big maybe on both counts). Here’s my question I always ask: would Jerry West draft this guy? Answer on Bamba....resounding no.
Yeah, I listened to a couple of the Ringer's draft podcasts recently and came away decidedly not impressed. In general, the Ringer has been a little underwhelming of late (perhaps I am beginning to age out of its target demographic). I miss Grantland.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
people are sleeping on Bamba, he has a lot of tools you can try to develop and work with him on. If he is available when the Kings draft at 6-8 slots, best believe he would be one of those high risk high reward type of picks and I'd be fine with that selection, the Kings need to take chances and not always go with the safe pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
people are sleeping on Bamba, he has a lot of tools you can try to develop and work with him on. If he is available when the Kings draft at 6-8 slots, best believe he would be one of those high risk high reward type of picks and I'd be fine with that selection, the Kings need to take chances and not always go with the safe pick.
Well I'm not sleeping on Bamba. I watched him player in at least 20 games last year, and I'm sorry, but he has some serious holes in his game. Number one, he's not that great an athlete, which is pointed out in the article I posted. He gets compared to Gobert, but Gobert is taller and longer, and at the moment, more skilled. I mean have you seen Bamba try and post up? At times it's almost comical, and were talking college. How well will he fare going up against players just as tall and much stronger than him?

Look, I think Bamba can be a good player down the road but it's going to take time. In a draft this strong, I think it's foolhardy to take a player at 7 that's going to require a couple of years to get up to speed to play in the NBA. You want to gamble, trade down and take Mitchell Robinson who is better athlete, and is probably a better player right now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We should note that he has not hired an agent, so for now he is simply "testing the waters" and he has...about a month?...to withdraw and retain his NCAA eligibility.
Yep, you beat me to it. If he can get a promise that's appealing then he might stay, but other wise he'll probably return to Villanova. Wonder if DiVencenzo will follow suit?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well I'm not sleeping on Bamba. I watched him player in at least 20 games last year, and I'm sorry, but he has some serious holes in his game. Number one, he's not that great an athlete, which is pointed out in the article I posted. He gets compared to Gobert, but Gobert is taller and longer, and at the moment, more skilled. I mean have you seen Bamba try and post up? At times it's almost comical, and were talking college. How well will he fare going up against players just as tall and much stronger than him?

Look, I think Bamba can be a good player down the road but it's going to take time. In a draft this strong, I think it's foolhardy to take a player at 7 that's going to require a couple of years to get up to speed to play in the NBA. You want to gamble, trade down and take Mitchell Robinson who is better athlete, and is probably a better player right now.
since you've seen him play more than most of us, let me ask you this, how long has Bamba been playing basketball?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
since you've seen him play more than most of us, let me ask you this, how long has Bamba been playing basketball?
Well I've done as much research on the kid as I can, and it appears he's been playing basketball since he was a kid. Both his brothers played basketball in college. Very different from Willie Cauley-Stein for instance who didn't really start playing basketball until his sophmore year of highschool. Of course Bamba wasn't always 6'11" with that huge wingspan, and like a lot of big men who shot up quickly, he's probably still going through some adjustment to his height.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I don't dislike Bamba, or think he's going to be a bust. I just don't like drafting him as high as seven. If we were picking at 10 or after, then I think he'd have more value. He's going to be a work in progress offensively, and he's going to struggle defending on the perimeter. In the NBA I think he'll get most of his points on alley oops and put backs. Eventually he should do well in the P&R, but it'll take a while. For some reason they don't run many P&R's in college, and as a result many big's don't have much experience defending it.

I don't like projecting a player, such as comparing him to Gobert. Every player is different, but sometimes that label sticks to a player for part, or all of his career, rightly or wrongly. Willie was compared early on to Tyson Chandler, and as a result, everyone thinks he should be the second coming of Tyson Chandler, and he's not. He's an entirely different player. There's no good or bad in that, just different. I think over time Bamba will leave his mark, and then some young player will be compared to him. Vicious cycle!

A comparison I would do is Bamba versus Jaren Jackson. Jackson is a far better player right now especially if you compare per 40 minutes. And I think the dropoff is significant at this stage of their careers. But the dropoff between Jackson and lets say Carter, isn't as great. I'm not talking about potential now, because you and I can envision whatever we want that potential to be. I'm talking about the current ability of each player. Right now, Mikal Bridges is a better player than Bamba, and he can impact a game in multiple ways. Five years from now, is very hard to project. I know what I would want to expect from Bamba, but he doesn't come with a guarantee.

He's a very bright kid, and from what I've read, a hard worker with desire, and I wouldn't bet against him. So he's going to take a while, and if your OK with that, then fine! But patience isn't a strong suit on this forum. My realistic expectations for Bamba long term would be someone that can protect the basket and grab rebounds. Maybe he can become a stretch five down the road. One of the things that was touted about Bamba was that he already had a 3 pt shot. And, one of the things that was criticized about Bagley, was his lack of a 3 pt shot. The actual results are interesting.

Bamba took just a tick over 50 threes last season and shot 27%. Bagley took just a tick over 50 three's and shot 39%. Ayton, who wasn't even brought up in the 3 pt discussion took even more three's and shot 35%. JJJ also had a good year in that dept shooting 39%, and the king of the three point shot among bigs was Carter who shot 41%. Now all those players circumstances were different and that has to be taken into consideration, but I think we can safely say, that Bamba has some work to do in that area.

If someone asked me who I thought was the safest player out of that group to bet on, I'd probably say Carter. Who of that group has the most upfront potential, Ayton. Who could end up being the best player out of that group 5 years from now, Jaren Jackson. Who is the most fun to watch out of that group, Bagley. But, Bamba could fool everyone and be something special in a few years. Or, they all could. Now that's committment!

Last edited:
Well I've done as much research on the kid as I can, and it appears he's been playing basketball since he was a kid. Both his brothers played basketball in college. Very different from Willie Cauley-Stein for instance who didn't really start playing basketball until his sophmore year of highschool. Of course Bamba wasn't always 6'11" with that huge wingspan, and like a lot of big men who shot up quickly, he's probably still going through some adjustment to his height.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I don't dislike Bamba, or think he's going to be a bust. I just don't like drafting him as high as seven. If we were picking at 10 or after, then I think he'd have more value. He's going to be a work in progress offensively, and he's going to struggle defending on the perimeter. In the NBA I think he'll get most of his points on alley oops and put backs. Eventually he should do well in the P&R, but it'll take a while. For some reason they don't run many P&R's in college, and as a result many big's don't have much experience defending it.

I don't like projecting a player, such as comparing him to Gobert. Every player is different, but sometimes that label sticks to a player for part, or all of his career, rightly or wrongly. Willie was compared early on to Tyson Chandler, and as a result, everyone thinks he should be the second coming of Tyson Chandler, and he's not. He's an entirely different player. There's no good or bad in that, just different. I think over time Bamba will leave his mark, and then some young player will be compared to him. Vicious cycle!

A comparison I would do is Bamba versus Jaren Jackson. Jackson is a far better player right now especially if you compare per 40 minutes. And I think the dropoff is significant at this stage of their careers. But the dropoff between Jackson and lets say Carter, isn't as great. I'm not talking about potential now, because you and I can envision whatever we want that potential to be. I'm talking about the current ability of each player. Right now, Mikal Bridges is a better player than Bamba, and he can impact a game in multiple ways. Five years from now, is very hard to project. I know what I would want to expect from Bamba, but he doesn't come with a guarantee.

He's a very bright kid, and from what I've read, a hard worker with desire, and I wouldn't bet against him. So he's going to take a while, and if your OK with that, then fine! But patience isn't a strong suit on this forum. My realistic expectations for Bamba long term would be someone that can protect the basket and grab rebounds. Maybe he can become a stretch five down the road. One of the things that was touted about Bamba was that he already had a 3 pt shot. And, one of the things that was criticized about Bagley, was his lack of a 3 pt shot. The actual results are interesting.

Bamba took just a tick over 50 threes last season and shot 27%. Bagley took just a tick over 50 three's and shot 39%. Ayton, who wasn't even brought up in the 3 pt discussion took even more three's and shot 35%. JJJ also had a good year in that dept shooting 39%, and the king of the three point shot among bigs was Carter who shot 41%. Now all those players circumstances were different and that has to be taken into consideration, but I think we can safely say, that Bamba has some work to do in that area.

If someone asked me who I thought was the safest player out of that group to bet on, I'd probably say Carter. Who of that group has the most upfront potential, Ayton. Who could end up being the best player out of that group 5 years from now, Jaren Jackson. Who is the most fun to watch out of that group, Bagley. But, Bamba could fool everyone and be something special in a few years. Or, they all could. Now that's committment!
Way to go out on a limb. :p

bajaden

Hall of Famer
For those that are in love with Ayton over Bagley, or vice versa here's another article from the Stepien that does a nice breakdown of not all, but parts of each players game through comparison. I don't totally agree with the final analysis, but I have to admit that he's quite convincing, and right about most of it. Anyway, if your interested, it's worth the read, and might make you re-think your opinion of both players.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/04/19/offensive-upside-deandre-ayton-vs-marvin-bagley/

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If the Kings are looking to use their 2nd round pick on a player to stash in Europe, there are several that I like. One that I've seen play a few times this year that I like is Tadas Sedekerskis, a young 6'9"/6'10" SF. He's a good athlete that can play above the rim a little bit. He's turned himself into a pretty good 3 pt shooter as well shooting around 40% when I last checked. He has a well rounded game and is capable of scoring in a multitude of ways from the outside shot, to post ups. He runs the floor well, and has decent to good handles. I don't know what his contract status is right now, or if he has a buy out or not. But I believe he's thrown his name into the draft.

Anyway, here's a video of him addressing his strengths.

Clearly he is a super nice kid, and has the type of personality that you'd want in a locker room. But I just don't know if I see him as a big time player. He could go either way. One of the things people constantly ignore in prospects is mental make-up and personality, for obvious reasons as it's so tough to guage. I could go either way with Mikal. But in terms of personality/confidence, this is exactly the reason I prefer Miles. OK Mikal has the measurables, but they are not everything. Miles is an elite athlete with some shot-selction issues. Listen to him speak and listen to what his teammates say about him. He's loved by everyone. And he has that charismatic, confident personality that is simply not easy to find.

I remember commenting on this forum about Mitchell last year. I actually remember seeing him being interviewed and thinking that he has exactly the type of personality that a star has, and I'm fairly sure I found it noteworthy enough to post about. I didn't call him being a star, don't get me wrong. But people regularly ignore the character side of it. And when they don't, they often confuse being a nice guy with being a good NBA player. I have no idea either way how Mikal will turn out. But I do know being a nice guy doesn't cut it in the NBA. You need an edge. Hopefully Mikal has it if we take him.

Mikal certainly played with an edge on the court. I agree that I like players who have a lot of confidence, but it can be a two-edged sword. The same mental makeup that makes a star can keep a guy who could be a solid NBA player from accepting that role.
While Mikal doesn't have the same personality as Miles, he has never lacked confidence or the willingness to play whatever role he was asked to play.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Clearly he is a super nice kid, and has the type of personality that you'd want in a locker room. But I just don't know if I see him as a big time player. He could go either way. One of the things people constantly ignore in prospects is mental make-up and personality, for obvious reasons as it's so tough to guage. I could go either way with Mikal. But in terms of personality/confidence, this is exactly the reason I prefer Miles. OK Mikal has the measurables, but they are not everything. Miles is an elite athlete with some shot-selction issues. Listen to him speak and listen to what his teammates say about him. He's loved by everyone. And he has that charismatic, confident personality that is simply not easy to find.

I remember commenting on this forum about Mitchell last year. I actually remember seeing him being interviewed and thinking that he has exactly the type of personality that a star has, and I'm fairly sure I found it noteworthy enough to post about. I didn't call him being a star, don't get me wrong. But people regularly ignore the character side of it. And when they don't, they often confuse being a nice guy with being a good NBA player. I have no idea either way how Mikal will turn out. But I do know being a nice guy doesn't cut it in the NBA. You need an edge. Hopefully Mikal has it if we take him.
Mikal would need a teammate or two on whatever team he lands on to toughen him up if the issue here is mental toughness. I don't recall Durant or Curry coming out of school being tough or having an edge, they were considered nice. Then you surround them with a player like Westbrook and/or Draymond and they now all of a sudden have an edge because of his presence. KG had that same effect on his teammates when he played for Boston and Minny.

Mikal would need a teammate or two on whatever team he lands on to toughen him up if the issue here is mental toughness. I don't recall Durant or Curry coming out of school being tough or having an edge, they were considered nice. Then you surround them with a player like Westbrook and/or Draymond and they now all of a sudden have an edge because of his presence. KG had that same effect on his teammates when he played for Boston and Minny.
Both KD and Steph were alphas on the court. I don't really see with with Mikal. Not that it really matters, as nobody is really expecting him to be at their level. I get Wesley Johnson vibes off Mikal. I hope I'm wrong.

Mikal certainly played with an edge on the court. I agree that I like players who have a lot of confidence, but it can be a two-edged sword. The same mental makeup that makes a star can keep a guy who could be a solid NBA player from accepting that role.
While Mikal doesn't have the same personality as Miles, he has never lacked confidence or the willingness to play whatever role he was asked to play.
Agreed. It's not an exact science. I'm just more skeptical of Mikal than everybody else seems to be.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sorry, but the facts don't bear out this toughness issue. I have no clue where this idea is coming from. You know who else was a nice guy off the court and who played with a very stoic appearance? Kawhi Leonard!!!!!!! There is nothing soft about Mikal Bridges. Talk is cheap. It's results that matter, and Mikal was the defensive player of the year in the Big East conference. I don't want to turn this into a contest between Miles and Mikal, but Mikal is taller, longer, a better shooter, and a better defender than Miles. There's a reason most draft boards have Mikal ahead of Miles. Right now, he's a better player. And, I think once both players get to the combine, you'll discover that Mikal is a very good athlete as well.

The question we all need to ask ourselves is first, what kind of team are the powers that be trying to build, and what kind of player that's available fits best into that scheme? The reason I love Mikal is because he's a very good shooter, and the Kings are trying to build a team that spreads the floor. He's an outstanding defender, and the Kings are a team that needs defense. He's an unselfish player who will move the ball to the open man rather than force a bad shot, and the Kings are trying to build a team that moves the ball.

I can't say all those same things about Miles, who by the way, I do like. Just not as much. Does Miles have a better chance at being a star than Mikal? I have no idea, but no one knew that Kawhi or that Paul George would become who they became. They were both know as very good defensive players that needed to improve their outside shot. Neither of them was know to be a good ball handler, but both became better in that area. So it's possible that Mikal could end up being a star.

Mikal's main asset this season was his consistency. He may not have been spectacular every game, but he showed up for every game, and when his team needed it, he almost always rose to the occasion by taking over a game. I'll take a player that walks the walk, over a player that just talks the talk any day. Since Donovan Mitchell has been brought up, lets talk about him. I watched him play a lot at Louisville, and I really like him, but couldn't decide exactly what he was. I don't remember him ever entering into anyone's conversation when PG's were being discussed. And most of the conversation on the forum was about PG's.

Anyone that says they knew how good Mitchell was going to be please raise your hand. If your hand is up, your either lying, or you had a vision from God. There are those rare players that come along where you feel fairly safe predicting stardom. But they are rare. Then there are the outliers that surprise everyone. Not that they become good players, but because they become great players. I never doubted that Mitchell would be a decent to good NBA player. I can name several players that will be drafted in the bottom of the first round, and the top of the 2nd round this year that will fall into that category.

There's no doubt that the Kings need a very talented player. But I think drafting a player that fits into what the team is trying to build is also just as important. We don't need a hero ball, me first player, no matter how talented he might be. If your building a race car, you don't put street tires on it, no matter how expensive those tires are. All the parts have to fit, or your just wasting your money.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Wow, Kevin Huerter declared for the draft. That totally changes my immediate outlook. I love this kid! I just didn't think he would throw his name into the fray. I'll be curious to see where the pundits rank him. This is a talented kid that can really, really shoot the ball. Maryland didn't go anywhere this season, so there wasn't much of a spotlight put on Huerter, but anyone who follows college basketball knows how talented he is. I just think everyone thought he would stay another year at Maryland, and so there wasn't much talk about him. The most common comp for him is Klay Thompson. Similar size and body type. Might be a little better athlete than Thompson.

Here's some highlights from one of his games:

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Spellman put his name in the draft
That's what I'm talkin' about! I hope he stays in the draft. If being in the top 10 is the litmus test for him, then he comes out this year. I can't imagine teams picking M. Bridges over Spellman. Bridges is the 3rd most talented player on that Villanova team, imo.

Come on out, Spellman!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You're not suggesting we promise DiVincenzo at #7 are you? Because I don't think that #36 is necessarily what he would be looking for.
ABSOLUTELY! First, what I suggested was that the Kings, if they have any brains, should be talking to Spellman about taking him at #7 or #8 if they don't hit the lottery jackpot. Second, if DiVincenzo comes out I would seriously contemplate taking him over Spellman. That would be a very tough call for me because I like both of them a lot. In any case, they BOTH are more talented than M. Bridges, no doubt in my mind about that!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
ABSOLUTELY! First, what I suggested was that the Kings, if they have any brains, should be talking to Spellman about taking him at #7 or #8 if they don't hit the lottery jackpot. Second, if DiVincenzo comes out I would seriously contemplate taking him over Spellman. That would be a very tough call for me because I like both of them a lot. In any case, they BOTH are more talented than M. Bridges, no doubt in my mind about that!
All three players are very talented, and also very different. I won't get into a debate over which player is better because to be honest, I love all three and won't take sides in that argument. I think it's a matter of which player is the best fit for the team. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Bear in mind though, that Mikal has been the guy this year along with Brunson, and has been the focus of the other teams defense as a result. Also bear in mind that Spellman showed up at Villanova with a weight problem, weighing over 300 pounds. To his credit, he's lost a ton of weight and hopefully those days are behind him.

DiVincenzo had some off court issues in highschool. But has been a very good boy since coming to Villanova. All three players have risen to the occasion in games when needed, so all three appear to embrace taking the tough shot. If you were to ask me which of the three is the best player right now, I'd have to say Mikal. He's a better shooter, defender and has the best BBIQ of the three right now. Doesn't mean he'll be the best player 3 years from now, but he's the safest to bet on. And, he's a way better athlete than you realize. Just doesn't flaunt it like some players do.

Wow, Kevin Huerter declared for the draft. That totally changes my immediate outlook. I love this kid! I just didn't think he would throw his name into the fray. I'll be curious to see where the pundits rank him. This is a talented kid that can really, really shoot the ball. Maryland didn't go anywhere this season, so there wasn't much of a spotlight put on Huerter, but anyone who follows college basketball knows how talented he is. I just think everyone thought he would stay another year at Maryland, and so there wasn't much talk about him. The most common comp for him is Klay Thompson. Similar size and body type. Might be a little better athlete than Thompson.

Here's some highlights from one of his games:

woah, not sure I see the Klay comp, but if NBA scout see it, I don't expect him to drop outside of the top 10. I don't think he'll remain in the draft, but if he does, I think he'll go late lotto-mid1st. He's a TRUE sophomore(finally a player true to his age!). He's slightly younger than Ayton, Porter Jr, and Bamba. I hope he doesn't make the mistake of other Maryland players. Melo Trimble, and now Justin Jackson(not ours). Jackson actually signed with an agent already. He would've been a 1st rounder last year, not sure about this year..especially since his shooting looked flukey.

I'll pass on Spellman at #7.............. I'd take Mikal 10/10 over Spellman. That's kinda crazy. I became less impressed when Spellman when I realized he's almost 21 despite only being a freshman.

edit: I'll add, I don't see Spellman being anything except a high level role player. When you're picking 7th in the draft with one of the least talented rosters in the NBA, you can't afford to draft Spellman. That's the type of move to get a GM fired.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'll pass on Spellman at #7.............. I'd take Mikal 10/10 over Spellman. That's kinda crazy. I became less impressed when Spellman when I realized he's almost 21 despite only being a freshman.

edit: I'll add, I don't see Spellman being anything except a high level role player. When you're picking 7th in the draft with one of the least talented rosters in the NBA, you can't afford to draft Spellman. That's the type of move to get a GM fired.
If Spellman is a role player, then Bridges is the 12th man off the bench.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
All three players are very talented, and also very different. I won't get into a debate over which player is better because to be honest, I love all three and won't take sides in that argument. I think it's a matter of which player is the best fit for the team. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Bear in mind though, that Mikal has been the guy this year along with Brunson, and has been the focus of the other teams defense as a result. Also bear in mind that Spellman showed up at Villanova with a weight problem, weighing over 300 pounds. To his credit, he's lost a ton of weight and hopefully those days are behind him.

DiVincenzo had some off court issues in highschool. But has been a very good boy since coming to Villanova. All three players have risen to the occasion in games when needed, so all three appear to embrace taking the tough shot. If you were to ask me which of the three is the best player right now, I'd have to say Mikal. He's a better shooter, defender and has the best BBIQ of the three right now. Doesn't mean he'll be the best player 3 years from now, but he's the safest to bet on. And, he's a way better athlete than you realize. Just doesn't flaunt it like some players do.
One might say that Brunson is a better player than all of them - right now. But we know that any intelligent team doesn't draft on what a player is "right now." I'm fully aware of Spellman's prior weight issue. If anything, he can get even leaner and better in the NBA. I'm not impressed with Bridges' athleticism, especially his ability to drive, finish, and make plays off the bounce. He does remind me of Lionel Simmons in his ungainliness going toward the basket.

Saying Bridges is athletic reminds me of Darren Collison. Sure, you could come up with certain objective standards to say Collison is athletic. He's got the speed and quickness. He's athletic in those terms. But he's not fluid. He's robotic, and therefore he's not really athletic in terms of an NBA point guard. Same thing holds for Bridges as an NBA forward in my view. He'll be a good 3 point shooter, a good defender, a good 3 and D guy, a good "other," but I think that's about it. Is Bridges a "safe" pick? Sure, at #7 or #8 he's probably a safe pick. I just don't think the Kings should be bunting for a single in this draft, and if they swing for the fences Bridges is not the guy, imo. If you get Bridges you aren't even sure he can win out over Jackson in the competition for minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.