Dalembert Now the Starting Center

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
http://hardcourtmayhem.com/kings/

“I am going to change the line. Hopefully it will be the last time this year. Now that Sammy’s healthy, I think he is the right fit to start with Carl, Beno, Omri and Tyreke. This is something that we always envisioned doing, we just haven’t been able to do it until now.”

Well, there you go. Can't say I disagree eventhough I want to see Cousins starting. We can't continue to play from behind, and Cousins won't learn as fast by being in foul trouble 3 mins into every game.

Last edited:
I really want to see Cousins get ROTY and this will probably hurt his chances. When it comes down to it though, I'd rather see the team win enough games to fight for the 7th or 8th spot and if not starting Cousins helps in that regard then so be it. Maybe he can put up better numbers coming off the bench anyways, who knows. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
I'm unbelievable impressed with DeMarcus' attitude shown by his response:

“I thought it was a great idea and I think it will really help the team. I won’t have to start the game off and I’m still learning. Coming in off the bench, I can see how aggressive the game is so I can know how aggressive to be and not be. I’ll get the feel of the game a lot better.”

And equally impressed with our coaching staff's ability to communicate with our guys and create buy in and good chemistry.

If this follows trend then in three games Dally will be benched. I do believe that he should start though- if Cousins can't start at the 4 then he should come off the bench.

“I thought it was a great idea and I think it will really help the team. I won’t have to start the game off and I’m still learning. Coming in off the bench, I can see how aggressive the game is so I can know how aggressive to be and not be. I’ll get the feel of the game a lot better.”
Not bad for a supposed malcontent troublemaker, huh?

I'm impressed with Cousin's attitude, as well. I just really like that kid. If he's on the bench to start, he can observe the other team's bigs up close and maybe pick up some things about them, before he's just thrown out there. Besides, I think he'll get plenty of minutes, anyway, if he can stay out of foul trouble.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Everyone around Cousins raves about his intelligence. He's no idiot. He realizes his foul trouble is hurting both the team and his development. This should not only help his development,but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him finishing games over Dally if he's clicking offensively.

Also, as much as I would love Cousins to get ROY, I don't like his chances against Wall an Griffin. Just don't see it happening.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Everyone around Cousins raves about his intelligence. He's no idiot. He realizes his foul trouble is hurting both the team and his development. This should not only help his development,but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him finishing games over Dally if he's clicking offensively.

Also, as much as I would love Cousins to get ROY, I don't like his chances against Wall an Griffin. Just don't see it happening.
ROY would be nice, but as long as he develops into the all star center I think he can be, thats all I care about. The other advantage he'll have coming off the bench is that for the most part, he'll be up against the other teams bench players, which should make for an easier adjustment to the NBA. The ROY thing is mostly about numbers, and to get numbers, you need minutes. Being put in a position where perhaps he'll foul less, could actually help him in winning ROY.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

And equally impressed with our coaching staff's ability to communicate with our guys and create buy in and good chemistry.
I'm very pleased with that response. You just got mega-points in my book, Cousins.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think this was the right time to make the change. Dalembert played a key role in the Laker game and we clearly need his defense on the floor as much as possible to stay competitive. I think this will probably help Cousins in the short run because teams aren't going to be going at him in the opening minutes and getting him in early foul trouble. Coach can choose when to sub him in this way or maybe even who to sub him in for (Landry or Dalembert). The other option would have been to move Landry to the bench, but if Cousins is going to accept a bench role now is the time to do it. He still has a lot to learn on defense. I remain skeptical whether we'll even need Landry moving forward since Cousins seems pretty capable of providing offense already and Thompson is a much better rebounder. But it is clear that we need Dalembert on the floor, maybe even more than we thought we did, so moving him into the starting lineup is the right decision.

Great decision by Westphal, let Dally guard the starting big and allow the team to start with more of a defensive attitude and then let DMC come in and score against the backup as well as hopefully rack up less fouls as he is not playing against the star player in the beginning of the game.

Boogie will still get a lot of minutes as I don't think Dally can stay out of foul trouble for long. Watching him in that Laker game he committed some silly fouls and at times just looked like he could not get out of the way. He's still got a ways to go I think before he can produce like he used to.

Not bad for a supposed malcontent troublemaker, huh?
Exactly. During the ESPN game last night the announcers, er, Flaker homers, made reference to Cousins' 'troubles.' I have not seen this at all in preseason and during the start of the regular season. I think he'll be just fine. Whatever 'troubles' he had are in the past. Sure he'll get a TF here and there like everyone else and complain for some calls like everyone else does. I think there's very good chemistry between him and PW. I agree that Dalembert should be the starter. Cousins can come in off the bench and still be very effective. Go Kings!

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Boogie will still get a lot of minutes as I don't think Dally can stay out of foul trouble for long. Watching him in that Laker game he committed some silly fouls and at times just looked like he could not get out of the way. He's still got a ways to go I think before he can produce like he used to.
Er..huh?

The last 2 games he has averaged 12rebs a game and hasn't had mroe than 3 fouls in any game, including in 28min last night.

But fortunately his career long pattern has been as a 25-30min guy, so its not like his normal usage would mkae him a 38 min a night guy leaving Cousins wiht scraps anyway. Just hope in the starting lineuop he can inspire us to actually play some defense. Its been ridiculous so far this year.

I still think Landy is a bigger issue on defense ( and on the boards ) then Cousins.

Until Landry gets taller ( unlikely ) teams will continue to beat us up inside and/or on the glass.

I'm very pleased with that response. You just got mega-points in my book, Cousins.
Let's all now sing Kumbaya... Seriously!

Seems the Kings are ok, Cousins is ok, Dally's a block-star, Donte still got wide grin from the bench, Cisco and Omri hugging each other at every opportunity, Reke making highlight reels almost nightly, Beno solid starting or back-up QB, Landry scores, DJax making Kings fans forget Brockmonster, JT good 'nuff sweeping the glass, and all in all - looking forward to a bang up season of bigger, better, badder!

Er..huh?

The last 2 games he has averaged 12rebs a game and hasn't had mroe than 3 fouls in any game, including in 28min last night.

But fortunately his career long pattern has been as a 25-30min guy, so its not like his normal usage would mkae him a 38 min a night guy leaving Cousins wiht scraps anyway. Just hope in the starting lineuop he can inspire us to actually play some defense. Its been ridiculous so far this year.
I didn't look at the numbers I watched his play vs the Lakers. He just couldn't seem to get out of the way at times and looked a little rusty still I guess.

Seems the Kings are ok, Cousins is ok, Dally's a block-star, Donte still got wide grin from the bench, Cisco and Omri hugging each other at every opportunity, Reke making highlight reels almost nightly, Beno solid starting or back-up QB, Landry scores, DJax making Kings fans forget Brockmonster, JT good 'nuff sweeping the glass, and all in all - looking forward to a bang up season of bigger, better, badder!
Nice! This post is definitely half full!

After watching the pre-season and start of season this is a good move. I am very happy with how Cousins' is accepting of this role and really it seems like all of our players are accepting of the role. He realizes he has a foul problem he needs to cure by learning the game more but I don't expect him not to be out there when his offense is needed. Hopefully he will actually gain playing time because he won't pickup so many fouls early but that will be something we'll have to see as games progress. I don't view this as a bad thing and fully expect Cousins to retake the starting spot later this year due to the increase he will probably make in his overall game (mainly just learning the NBA).

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Given everyone is on favor of this decision, do we just pretend all the "fire Westphal" comments in the game thread didn't happen?

Unbelievable.

Given everyone is on favor of this decision, do we just pretend all the "fire Westphal" comments in the game thread didn't happen?

Unbelievable.
If there is one opinion you should never trust when it comes to coaches, it's the fans. They fire 100% of every coach hired. And second on the ignore list is the owners. They can run off good coaches too.

Er..huh?

That be his one year career long pattern at KU, correct???;) Don't take it personal just having fun. I saw the Big Cuz sucking wind after some extended time so I know from where you speak.

I love this move of Dally starting. I also think Cousins will see plenty of playing time. His attitude is great to see and right on. Watch how the refs are calling it and play accordingly.

KB

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
That be his one year career long pattern at KU, correct???;) Don't take it personal just having fun. I saw the Big Cuz sucking wind after some extended time so I know from where you speak.

I love this move of Dally starting. I also think Cousins will see plenty of playing time. His attitude is great to see and right on. Watch how the refs are calling it and play accordingly.

KB
He was refering to Dally.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I'm impressed with Cousin's attitude, as well. I just really like that kid. If he's on the bench to start, he can observe the other team's bigs up close and maybe pick up some things about them, before he's just thrown out there. Besides, I think he'll get plenty of minutes, anyway, if he can stay out of foul trouble.
Yep! We'll see lots of him during his learning process and I think he'll progress faster this way.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

KB
err, Brick was talking about Dalembert.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

When you think of all the discord over the past few years with players and coaches, man it's nice to have some harmony over on that bench.

I really want to see Cousins get ROTY and this will probably hurt his chances. When it comes down to it though, I'd rather see the team win enough games to fight for the 7th or 8th spot and if not starting Cousins helps in that regard then so be it. Maybe he can put up better numbers coming off the bench anyways, who knows. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
For as long as Blake Griffin and Wall are playing at the standard that they are, Cousins is just about no chance to get the ROY. It really doesn't matter anyway. Cousins will still play his 20-25 minutes each game (provided he stays out of foul trouble) and it might even improve his chances somewhat considering that more often than not, he will be playing against other teams second units.

A change needed to be made. We recruited Sammy as a defensive anchor and he was always going to be the starter. Now that he is healthy and we have stunk up the place with our defence (especially in 1st half) it makes sense. Dalembert is a better complement to Landry and Cousins can attempt to stay out of foul trouble against the lesser likes.