Cousins Back for Team USA

The issue is Team U.S.A. loves getting the defensive stud/rebounding/low offensive USG C's on the roster and let the wings take care of the offense.
Then how do you explain Kevin Love's inclusion on the previous team? He's not a low offense, defensive stud by any measure.

Cousins is a much better match against the Euro bigs.

I dont know how many bigs they generally take dont pay attention to intl ball. But Love, Howard, Aldridge and Davis will go without question.

I dont know how many bigs they generally take dont pay attention to intl ball. But Love, Howard, Aldridge and Davis will go without question.
They have already put together their 19-man team.
Initially that included Love, Griffin, Davis, Drummond, Faried, & Cousins.
Howard was not invited.
Aldridge declined and now Griffin has pulled out.

Next week they start their camp to begin preparations for the FIFA World cup, so they aren't going to invite any other bigs to camp unless someone else pulls out. Considering that they replaced a big with a small (Griffin with Wall), I think that points to them being comfortable with the bigs that they have invited to the camp already.

They normally take 3 bigs at the minimum so Cousins should make the final 12-man roster after the summer camp.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I think that Cousins' chances of making the team rest with Kevin Love, whom I'm not convinced will decide to play, anyway. If he does decide to play, they may decide that they don't need Cousins' offense, and go with Drummond. If Love does sit out, Cousins is a lock.

While it's certain he's worthy of an invite I'm not entirely convinced Cousins is a good fit on any roster that intends to play international ball. The interior power game doesn't seem to be as effective in international basketball. I only have one example and that is to this day Tim Duncan refuses to play FIBA ball. The flopping and quick whistles tend to neutralize contact around the basket.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
  1. To be fair, that comment probably carries a lot less weight than it did when Duncan was in his prime.
  2. Cousins isn't a power post in quite the same way Duncan was; he's not as dominant on the block as Prime!Duncan, but he arguably has more moves.
  3. We've gotten better at coaching against the international game since the last time Duncan played, and we've gotten significantly better at selecting for players who can play with each other. I don't think that Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson and FSM could have played together under any circumstances, FIBA rules, or otherwise.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
While it's certain he's worthy of an invite I'm not entirely convinced Cousins is a good fit on any roster that intends to play international ball. The interior power game doesn't seem to be as effective in international basketball. I only have one example and that is to this day Tim Duncan refuses to play FIBA ball. The flopping and quick whistles tend to neutralize contact around the basket.
Er...Cousins is actually kind of a Euro style big man. Maybe the best Euro style big man the states has to offer, although Davis may have a claim too. His inside/out game is perfectly suited for that game, same way the Gasol brothers' have been.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Slim was spot on! Love pulls out of team USA! Cousins has to be a certainty now!
Yeah, that would be pretty ridiculous is he didn't make it now. If anything, he's the guy Team USA wants those guys to be. Perfect opportunity now to break that honors/awards cherry.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
For those that haven't seen it:

With his trade demand from the Minnesota Timberwolves unresolved, Kevin Love has withdrawn from playing with Team USA just days before training camp for the FIBA World Cup is set to begin.

Love excelled in his role as a good-shooting big man during the 2012 London Olympics, as his ability to hit outside shots is valuable in international competition. Team USA will enter training camp with just four big men on the roster including DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond and Kenneth Faried. Because of the depth issue and his shooting ability, small forward Chandler Parsons could end up playing some at power forward.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketb...ove-minnesota-timberwolves-withdraws-team-usa

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Er...Cousins is actually kind of a Euro style big man. Maybe the best Euro style big man the states has to offer, although Davis may have a claim too. His inside/out game is perfectly suited for that game, same way the Gasol brothers' have been.
Dead on. Not sure what these other people have been watching. Just who has the US had to play for the championship? Spain, with the Gasol brothers. If Cuz isn't a Euro style center, then neither are the Gasols. Strange how they keep getting into the championship game. Cousins is the perfect center for the team. Put Anthony along side of him, which probably makes too much sense, and you'll dominate the post.. With Love now out of the picture, I'd be stunned if he doesn't make the team. It's time for the changing of the guard anyway.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If Cousins doesn't make it now with Love and Griffin out, then something is really wrong here.
He is on a rehabilitation tour of sorts with the media to help change the perception of him. I suspect if he continues to make this effort, people's minds will change. At some point people have to notice that he's a good guy and just comment on his skills. Heck, in my view, he always has been a good guy but a good guy who loses control. That doesn't make him unique. I suspect Team USA has studied him a little closer and his odds are very good. He really needs this recognition to help, as bricklayer kind of said, to turn the tap on and start the awards coming his way. It seems like people are unwilling to give that first bit of league wide praise.

If he doesn't make the team I will be very perplexed or as you said it "something is really wrong here."

gunks

Hall of Famer
Last season, it seemed like the tide was turning on Cousins rep.

A LOT of away team announcers would just rave about him. The season before last it was all "headcase this, headcase that", even as he trashed opposing teams. Last year you got the feeling that everyone was starting to realize that they were watching a future HOFer drop near 20/20 games left and right.

Hell, there had even been a lot less Cousins bashing on this board... Of course, IT was here to take a lot of the hater heat.

Last season, it seemed like the tide was turning on Cousins rep.

A LOT of away team announcers would just rave about him. The season before last it was all "headcase this, headcase that", even as he trashed opposing teams. Last year you got the feeling that everyone was starting to realize that they were watching a future HOFer drop near 20/20 games left and right.

Hell, there had even been a lot less Cousins bashing on this board... Of course, IT was here to take a lot of the hater heat.
He was a headcase the season before last. Fortunately last season he was just more of your typical hot-head with a few flare ups which I think everybody can live with.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Someone asked Colangelo about Drummond's chances now and he basically said he was almost a lock as he brings what we are looking for in defense , rebounding and blocking shots and has a great attitude....but we will see what he has learned over the last year. Cuz is going to get screwed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That 's good news for the Kings and his regular season peformance
You could not possibly be further from the truth, if I"m reading your comment correctly.

If DMC continues to be spurned in his attempts to break into the upper echelons of NBA activity, it will not be pleasant for anyone. He is a warrior - a competitor who knows he has an incredible talent and wants to match that talent with others at the same level.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Someone asked Colangelo about Drummond's chances now and he basically said he was almost a lock as he brings what we are looking for in defense , rebounding and blocking shots and has a great attitude....but we will see what he has learned over the last year. Cuz is going to get screwed.
Depends on how the team is structured, doesn't it? This USA team has great outside shooting and probably doesn't seem to need a guy who can play smash mouth, in the post, offensive basketball. Maybe they don't think they need a big who can hit from the outside. I think that's a mistake, personally, as I think it's always good to have a reliable guy in the middle in case of a bad game from the outside shooters.

Why not have a guy who can put the Gasol brothers in foul trouble? That guy is not Drummond.

I have a feeling I am going to be very irked.