City council vote and latest news, rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KJ says he knows the NBA will look favorably on us because we have done EVERYTHING we could and more. I agree...

Green growth, education and the Kings.

Works for me, Mayor Johnson.

He says we're on the cusp of doing something special and I certainly agree.

WE ARE SACRAMENTO!

I hope someone can put together video link with just last 20 minutes or so of this state of city address - brilliant!

The goast of Heather Fargo passes in the night never to be heard from again.

Also don't know if anyone has mentioned this... Argh, it was just mentioned in the middle of my post! Maloofs aren't too fond of Burkle, and would likely feel more inclined to accept a bid from Matrov than the former. Not sure if it was intentional or just how it worked out, but it's certainly a good thing.

Also don't know if anyone has mentioned this... Argh, it was just mentioned in the middle of my post! Maloofs aren't too fond of Burkle, and would likely feel more inclined to accept a bid from Matrov than the former. Not sure if it was intentional or just how it worked out, but it's certainly a good thing.
Is Mastrov a big enough owner for the NBA? Im kinda nervous how the mayor made a point of separating Burkle and Mastrov. Mastrov buying the team, Burkle financing the arena.

That's one of the best speeches I have witnessed, full of vision and preparedness to elevate the city to the next level. Even though I'm far away from Sacramento, damn I am proud. Sacramento see you soon!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Is Mastrov a big enough owner for the NBA? Im kinda nervous how the mayor made a point of separating Burkle and Mastrov. Mastrov buying the team, Burkle financing the arena.
Best of all possible combinations. No potential conflict of interest as far as Burkle's various ownerships go, etc. This is a good thing!

No chance we lose the team. Sonics fans are being their typical uninformed selves. Poor guys, they are getting their hopes up for nothing.

That was pretty awesome. Great day to be a Kings fan. I wish I could have been in the same room as the Maloofs watching the speech.

Can't believe the Monarchs are coming back. Huge advantage over Sea.

Let's also not forget that Mastrov was also pretty damn close to buying the Warriors so I am sure he wouldn't be placing a bid unless he could afford it.

It's over for Seattle.

I would imagine he is. He may not be top of the list of richest owners, but the Maloofs have managed to own a team (albeit poorly) for a decade whilst being far less rich than Mastrov. I don't think we'll see any selling of 2nd rounders and dumping #5 picks with Mastrov just to save a few dollars. Any new owner is going to seem like zillionaire in comparison to what we've had to put up with.

Okay, folks. No more speculation. Mastrov will buy the team and Burkle will build the arena at Downtown Plaza, partnered with the new owners of the Downtown Plaza.
I've been looking at the ownership situation from afar: so is this it in a nutshell?

Mastrov = team
Burkle = arena w/ Downtown Plaza
KJ = GOAT?

Congrats everyone. That's great news!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
He lost me at taking a WNNA franchise from someone else. Dumb move IMO.
I really don't think that's the case. WNBA teams have been going bankrupt and folding. If we get a team from another city it won't be because we outbid local owners, it'll be because their current ownership can't afford them any longer and no one else steps up. I don't think the WNBA is adverse to expanding, especially to an already proven market with a brand new arena. It's a non-issue really in my opinion. Totally different situation. And I'm glad he brought it up because a commitment to the WNBA represents a symbolic commitment to furthering the NBA brand. Not to mention creating jobs for more female athletes.

When the Monarchs were in their prime, winning championship and losing in the finals in the other, I loved that team. We'll see if its actually economically sustainable this go around
It's not about the viability. It's more about saying don't take our team with one breath and saying to another we. Will take your team with the next breath.

I would really relax on saying that Seattle are out of this. It's not over by a long shot. We did everything that was asked of us and more, so the right outcome clearly is to have the Kings remain here. However life isn't fair and stranger things have happened. I'm optimistic, but cautiously so. This could still go either way. Though there is no legitimate argument that anyone could put forward for moving the team at this point (I know Seattle fans will dispute this, but frankly they're biased, and I don't care. We're biased too, but the facts favour us in a landslide to anyone who observes the hard facts). But I'd be cautious, or it will be even more gut wrenching if the unthinkable happens.

I really don't think that's the case. WNBA teams have been going bankrupt and folding. If we get a team from another city it won't be because we outbid local owners, it'll be because their current ownership can't afford them any longer and no one else steps up. I don't think the WNBA is adverse to expanding, especially to an already proven market with a brand new arena. It's a non-issue really in my opinion. Totally different situation. And I'm glad he brought it up because a commitment to the WNBA represents a symbolic commitment to furthering the NBA brand.
this is a fair point

Amazing night for kings fans and tons of good news here. My only concern is the Mastrov vs Hansen/balmer pockets, in terms of the bid, attractiveness to other billionaire owners and the ability to compete with them. I'm slightly anxious about that but overall a great night.

Status
Not open for further replies.