Chuck Hayes injury

Awesome!:rolleyes:

Don't we do ****ing medicals these days before signing players to contract?

I do hope for Chuck's sake its nothing serious and he can continue living his life to the fullest.

Last edited:
Awesome!:rolleyes:

Don't we do ****ing medicals these days before signing players to contract?

I do hope for Chuck's sake its nothing serious and he can continue living his life to the fullest.
exactly what I was thinking

though I wish Chuck the best, if this is a career ending heart condition, he should never have been signed

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I'll stay positive about this, if he had some sort of long term or pre-existing heart defect there's no way he could have gotten through a half decent physical exam and into the league in the first place with nobody noticing. Could be anything, hope the best for Chuck and the Kings.

Don't freak out yet, folks. Further testing may mean it's nothing at all. Or it may be very minor. I've had "abnormalities" on those things, too.

Don't freak out yet, folks. Further testing may mean it's nothing at all. Or it may be very minor. I've had "abnormalities" on those things, too.
Me too. At two different times I've had docs demand an EKG before I could do sports. I'm probably not as important as Hayes so the tests stopped there, ;)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well I know he had an exam before signing. It almost looks like they've gone back and had another look at one of the tests. I like others have had an irregular heart beat, as well as arterior fibulation. It didn't prevent me from playing. A pill a day means baja can play. So I'm optimistic.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This is an area given the limited amount of info given where I am a little out of my element. I THINK an echo cardiogram is performed because of a concern about the size of the heart. Some athletes have large hearts and apparently sometimes this is just a normal varient and sometimes it's a problem. In any case, I want to hear more.

This is an area given the limited amount of info given where I am a little out of my element. I THINK an echo cardiogram is performed because of a concern about the size of the heart. Some athletes have large hearts and apparently sometimes this is just a normal varient and sometimes it's a problem. In any case, I want to hear more.
EKG's are also done in the case of an irregular heartbeat, at least in my case it was.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
For those who don't know, I am an MD. That's why I feel a little responsible for giving medical info. My specialty has nothing to do with the heart but I have done quite a bit of reading on the use of a stress echocardiogram. I am not sure I know what is going on with Hayes. But I will babble onward.

The echocardiogram is used to find areas of the heart with arterial insufficiency among many other things. It's a very simple non-invasive test to see how the heart is functioning. It's like a sonogram. It allows for the heart muscles to be watched very carefully. It is looking for an area that isn't being fed blood adequately. In such an area, the heart muscle will not contract well because of lack of oxygen which the blood provides.

So it is looking for an area that could cause a heart attack. It is also commonly used after someone has had heart damage to see how well the heart is functioning. It is used to find other defects like with leaky heart valves, holes in the heart, etc.

This all puzzles me. What on earth could have happened that made the Kings medical personnel even think of doing this? He must have had a symptom. If so, what? My original idea that his heart might be enlarged - not uncommon in athletes - and they are trying to determine if this enlarged heart is due to a disease or if it is just a normal finding in a guy who works his butt off.

Tune in later. Hope I haven't created more confusion as I am mystified.

Addendum: Stupid me. I should have read OP more closely. They have found something wrong. I can't off hand think of anything that would be good or harmless. Extra tests might mean coronary angiography but that is speculation but not bad speculation.

Last edited:
This all puzzles me. What on earth could have happened that made the Kings medical personnel even think of doing this? He must have had a symptom. If so, what? My original idea that his heart might be enlarged - not uncommon in athletes - and they are trying to determine if this enlarged heart is due to a disease or if it is just a normal finding in a guy who works his butt off.

Tune in later. Hope I haven't created more confusion as I am mystified.

Addendum: Stupid me. I should have read OP more closely. They have found something wrong. I can't off hand think of anything that would be good or harmless. Extra tests might mean coronary angiography but that is speculation but not bad speculation.
They found it during the stress test in his physical. There were some anomolies in the results.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
They found it during the stress test in his physical. There were some anomolies in the results.
A stress test isn't part of a normal physical. Now, if it is, I say bravo! to the Kings staff. I just kind of doubt it is part of the normal physical as they might not have signed him. It is being incredibly thorough if a routine part of any physical. As I have never heard of another King since 1985 having a sress echocardiogram (it would have to be abnormal to be mentioned in the media) let me ask this question of all the young athletes who have tried to make sense of my meanerings: have any of you had a stress echocardiogram? Not just an echocardiogram but one where they get you exercising so your heart rate hits about 190 and they watch how the heart reacts.

The main point is that I can't think of anything normal that would show something possibly wrong. It isn't unusual for a medical test to appear to be bad news and with further investigation to be found to be nothing. I am not a cardiologist but also am not brain dead and cannot think of anything benign that would show an abnormality requiring the dreaded "more tests."

As an athlete and with many other friends who compete in various sports I haven't had a stress echo nor any one of my friends. As far as I know the only time you take it is if you have symptoms or a family history. The last couple years though, with the news being more vigilant in reporting deaths of apparently healthy individuals in marathons/triathlons I think more people have been requesting the test out of fear. With Chuck being in the older range, I wouldn't be surprised if someone mentioned to him he should get the test done to be safe.

Section 101 says it was found during a stress test in his physical. That might also point to his heart rate being slightly abnormal from what the trainers would have expected hence the further test and the news coming later than we would expect.

Hope the guy is ok!

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
First, this is not an "injury" rather a medical condition detected during a routine exam. Second, lets pray it is nothing similar to what the Celtics found about Jeff Green's medical condition as reported today. He is now to have cardiac surgery for an aortic aneurism detected also during a routine medical exam and will be out for the year. So lets keep our fingers crossed for Chuck Hayes.

A stress test isn't part of a normal physical. Now, if it is, I say bravo! to the Kings staff. I just kind of doubt it is part of the normal physical as they might not have signed him. It is being incredibly thorough if a routine part of any physical. As I have never heard of another King since 1985 having a sress echocardiogram (it would have to be abnormal to be mentioned in the media) let me ask this question of all the young athletes who have tried to make sense of my meanerings: have any of you had a stress echocardiogram? Not just an echocardiogram but one where they get you exercising so your heart rate hits about 190 and they watch how the heart reacts.

The main point is that I can't think of anything normal that would show something possibly wrong. It isn't unusual for a medical test to appear to be bad news and with further investigation to be found to be nothing. I am not a cardiologist but also am not brain dead and cannot think of anything benign that would show an abnormality requiring the dreaded "more tests."
These are pro athletes though, I'm sure they go through all kinds of tests that an aveage joe wouldn't go through considering there is a team willing to pay for it because they have millions of dollars wrapped up in the health of that player. Hopefully he's OK and it's nothing serious.

Jeff Green's contract is "likely to be voided" because of his heart issue. I'm just saying. Lots of heart issues right now. Lamarcus Aldridge from the trail blazers is dealing with something right now too.

I didn't want to make light of the situation, but "abnormalities" doesn't really tell us anything. Some abnormalities are seious, some won't affect his ability to play. All we know is the docs saw something they want to look at further.

I've had numerous EKG's, stress tests (one physical, one chemical), numerous echo-cardiogram tests, I've worn a 24-hour monitor twice, etc. So far I have atrial fibrillation, since my early 20's (controlled by medication). Three of my valves have minor leakage, also not a bar to physical activity. Latest echo shows mildly impaired left ventricular relaxation, apparently not too serious, at least at this time. One test showed a dark area that could have indicated part of my heart was dead tissue from a heart attack. Cardiologist said it was probably a just shadow, because my heart was pumping fine.

So, there can be a lot of "abnormalities" seen. All we can do is wait and see what further testing shows. I'll just say a little prayer that Hayes will be just fine.

I am a 6-way bypass survivor so have gone through the gamut of tests Chuck is likely going through as well. In my case I had chest pain with exercise but when they did the first stress test everything looked normal. It was only during a second stress test in which dye was injected then filmed were they able to determine that the bottom half of my heart wasn't beating but only during exercise. (Everything was normal when not exercising.) When they discovered that they immediately scheduled my surgery and wouldn't let me leave the hospital. I guess where I am going with all this is I am sure they have done a myriad of tests, got results back almost immediately and already expect what is going on with him, and the fact that he hasn't been rushed in for surgery should be a good sign hopefully.