Cavs @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post, IMHO. People really need to take a deep breath and think about it ... We're the Kings; they're the Cavaliers. They played a good game tonight and only won in overtime. There's no shame in that. And the plus is that our young team will take lessons away from tonight's game that just might help them in the game on Saturday.

GO KINGS!
Yeah. It was a dissapointing loss... but its hard for the best teams in the league to keep up with the Cavs when Lebron James, the best player in the NBA, is playing in top form.

Really? Tyreke took Lebron to the hole to tie the game up with half a minute left. Tyreke is one of the main reasons we won 3 of 4 coming into this game, and now you don't think he can run an offense? Please.

And quit making excuses for Omri. He had a good game, but had a horrible last 6 minutes. You learn how to space the floor at a pretty elementary level of basketball. Its not Westphals fault Omri got in the way at the end of regulation, and its not Westphals fault Omri jacked up 2 bad shots in overtime.

I love Omri, but quit blaming his mistakes on everyone else. He's a very impressive rookie, but he's not ready to take over games. Its not Tyreke's/Beno's job to only look to get Omri off. It's a team game.
he was 11-25. He tied the game. He is strong enough to get some to fall when he challnages the interior defense. But you won't win like that.

Really? Tyreke took Lebron to the hole to tie the game up with half a minute left. Tyreke is one of the main reasons we won 3 of 4 coming into this game, and now you don't think he can run an offense? Please.

And quit making excuses for Omri. He had a good game, but had a horrible last 6 minutes. You learn how to space the floor at a pretty elementary level of basketball. Its not Westphals fault Omri got in the way at the end of regulation, and its not Westphals fault Omri jacked up 2 bad shots in overtime.

I love Omri, but quit blaming his mistakes on everyone else. He's a very impressive rookie, but he's not ready to take over games. Its not Tyreke's/Beno's job to only look to get Omri off. It's a team game.
I didn't see Lebron trying to force isos like Tyreke...hmmm...why is that?

Great post, IMHO. People really need to take a deep breath and think about it ... We're the Kings; they're the Cavaliers. They played a good game tonight and only won in overtime. There's no shame in that. And the plus is that our young team will take lessons away from tonight's game that just might help them in the game on Saturday.

GO KINGS!
Yep. We played a great game, and our youth cost us in the end. No reason to be down on this team.

As a side not, I hate the way after we lose a close game to one of the top road teams in the league, a lot of people are blaming the loss on Westphal. He is a COY candidate, and is playing a MAJOR role in turning this franchise around, and now he's getting killed because we lost to a top 5 team. He put us in a position to have a chance to win, and the 2nd youngest team in the league didn't pull through. It happens. But don't get all over coach just ecause this game didn't go our way.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I was at the game, and Arco was rocking.
Almost a great experience.
---

As much as he was the reason we were in the game, I think this game was lost the second the Cavs put LeBron on Tyreke.

It was like Reke just got starstruck and said to himself "Im schooling LeBron, now", but despite how many one on one drive attempts LeBron;

1: Stayed in front of him forcing a J which was mostly missed.
2: On the rare 1 or 2 times he got by he missed the layup.

I love the guy, but I think tonight was a learning experience for him.

I didn't see Lebron trying to force isos like Tyreke...hmmm...why is that?
Whats your point? Tyrke isn't Lebron freaking James. He's a 20 yr old rookie playing in his 26th career game. Are you seriously blaming him for not playing at the same level as the reigning nba MVP?

I cant believe this crap. A team that was playing 2 rookies, a 2nd year player, a 3rd year player down the stretch and we go to OT and people are bi......?

Dont get me wrong, I am very disappointed, we had nothing but 1 on 1 in the entire overtime period, that was awful, but just the fact that this YOUNG team played VERY well and was oh so close to winning against one of the best teams in the league shows how far this team has come. We should not even be in the game. We should go 3-7 or 4-6 at best coming up. So when it happens are so many of you going to sit around and complain about how poorly they played?

Can we have just a little less negativity??
They lost a winnable game. I am measuring everything by the talent they have now, not what they didn't have last year.

A

AriesMar27

i know it sucks that we lost... but look at it from a cavs fan perspective, the cavs were supposed to destroy the kings but were forced into overtime. we werent supposed to beat the cavs but we gave them a good fight. until overtime which sucked....

Whats your point? Tyrke isn't Lebron freaking James. He's a 20 yr old rookie playing in his 26th career game. Are you seriously blaming him for not playing at the same level as the reigning nba MVP?

Exactly bro... He's a baby. His shooting will improve. But his decision making will improve the most as time continues.... Just like Lebron James and all the other players learn.

To sick Lebron James on your Rookie then double him is a sign of what we have here... not bad not bad at all.

1: Stayed in front of him forcing a J which was mostly missed.
2: On the rare 1 or 2 times he got by he missed the layup.

I love the guy, but I think tonight was a learning experience for him.
Lesson: Being the go to guy on your team doesn't mean you have to be the one to score, just the one to create.

Lesson may have been learned. We'll see what he does against the kobes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i know it sucks that we lost... but look at it from a cavs fan perspective, the cavs were supposed to destroy the kings but were forced into overtime. we werent supposed to beat the cavs but we gave them a good fight. until overtime which sucked....
Thank you. And yes, I'm somewhat astounded to see myself making that comment.

;)

No. I am not saying or expecting him to play at that level.I am saying forcing those Isos and trying to finish at the rim all the time is a losing proposition and Tyreke should understand that. I guess he doesn't have the jumper yet so he drives and blow up so many possessions. what can you do.He went 11 of 25. You won't finish at the rim against the top teams. It worked to tie the game, but he missed enough for the Kings to lose.There is no reason for casspi to score 16 points in the first half and only 2 in the second. He didn't get cold. the offense stalled. There is no movement, no cuts, no pick and roll, just one on one with Tyreke pounding the ball. To me , if they lose all three home games then it is a failure. I am not going to say boy they were so close to beating the lakers or the nuggets.

A

AriesMar27

Thank you. And yes, I'm somewhat astounded to see myself making that comment.

;)
i couldnt look at it any other way. knowing that the team can compete against good teams just as well they do against bad teams is nice to see... if that had happened against the bulls i would be pissed. we should beat them, the fact that the team played the cavs pretty even for 48 minutes is hella cool... :cool:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No. I am not saying or expecting him to play at that level.I am saying forcing those Isos and trying to finish at the rim all the time is a losing proposition and Tyreke should understand that. I guess he doesn't have the jumper yet so he drives and blow up so many possessions. what can you do.He went 11 of 25. You won't finish at the rim against the top teams. It worked to tie the game, but he missed enough for the Kings to lose.There is no reason for casspi to score 16 points in the first half and only 2 in the second. He didn't get cold. the offense stalled. There is no movement, no cuts, no pick and roll, just one on one with Tyreke pounding the ball. To me , if they lose all three home games then it is a failure. I am not going to say boy they were so close to beating the lakers or the nuggets.
If - and that's an incredibly big IF - the Kings were an elite, playoff-bound team, you MIGHT have a point. But they're not. They're a young team, still rebuilding and learning. Tyreke Evans is going to make mistakes; it's part and parcel of being a rookie in the NBA. If you don't let him have free reign to make AND learn from those mistakes, you'll never see him fully develop as a player.

Those of us who have been Kings fans through the really horrible years have every right to be excited about what we're seeing ... and what we're seeing is growth and improvement. If you don't see it, it's quite likely it's because you weren't around for the really bad times.

Yeah, i posted the pic just for fun. I hope the team learns a lot from this loss.

I think when Bron guarded Reke, Reke just wanted to add Bron to the pile of bodies he's accumulated this week. :D

Really? Casspi trying to take over .. What a shame.
Well, the way I saw it, Omri was trying to take over, to win the game. What is the shame, and what is the problem? Who else would be bold enough to do so? Evans also couldn't score in OT.

Anyway, good effort. Cavs are obviously a better team, so consider it to be a duty to be paid on the way. Better luck next time, with an equal opponent.

Can't wait till Tyreke has a respectable jumper. Won't be able to play his so loose. I was impressed they put Lebron... the best athlete in the world on him. Shows alot. Can't wait till Kmart comes back so we can make teams pay for doing such things.

One way or another with Reke on the floor there is going to be a mismatch on the floor... Either through size or talent as the opposing team has no choice but to go to the bench to match up physically.

If - and that's an incredibly big IF - the Kings were an elite, playoff-bound team, you MIGHT have a point. But they're not. They're a young team, still rebuilding and learning. Tyreke Evans is going to make mistakes; it's part and parcel of being a rookie in the NBA. If you don't let him have free reign to make AND learn from those mistakes, you'll never see him fully develop as a player.

Those of us who have been Kings fans through the really horrible years have every right to be excited about what we're seeing ... and what we're seeing is growth and improvement. If you don't see it, it's quite likely it's because you weren't around for the really bad times.
I will see it as a failure. Am I allowed to feel like that?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I will see it as a failure. Am I allowed to feel like that?
Yes, but people who don't feel that way are just as entitled to their opinions as you are to yours. And don't expect to get a lot of agreement. You're acting as though this is a finished-product team...and it's not. It's a rebuilding team whose record last year included SEVENTEEN wins. My educated guess is that you're going to find a majority of Kings fans disagree with the idea that not beating the Cavs is indicative of failure. And if that happens, I hope you can live with being in the minority with your opinion.

Well, the way I saw it, Omri was trying to take over, to win the game. What is the shame, and what is the problem? Who else would be bold enough to do so? Evans also couldn't score in OT.

Anyway, good effort. Cavs are obviously a better team, so consider it to be a duty to be paid on the way. Better luck next time, with an equal opponent.
Casspi doesn't have the "take over ability", at least not yet, and he tried to anyways. Not only that, they were horribly misguided and totally guarded shots, as well as just outright garbage low possiblity shots in the first place. We all know he's a rookie, but his success might make himself forget that sometimes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Casspi doesn't have the "take over ability", at least not yet, and he tried to anyways. Not only that, they were horribly misguided and totally guarded shots, as well as just outright garbage low possiblity shots in the first place. We all know he's a rookie, but his success might make himself forget that sometimes.
IMHO people are being too hard on the rookies. They're playing far above expectations and they're feeling the thrill of playing before an excited fan base. Let them make their rookie mistakes and learn from them. We saw three good quarters of TEAM ball before there started to be some chinks in the armor. They desperately wanted to win, and just didn't know how to go about getting it done against Lebron James and company.

Westphal will work with them. I know it's tough, but have faith and have patience. They're only going to get better as time goes on. I promise.

:D

Tyreke and Omri both made mistakes down the stretch, but they both also played a great game. I'm excited that a few of our young guys want the ball with the game on the line. I love the confidence. Thats not something you can teach. Was the execution good? No,not at all. Itw ill get better. JT was the oldest starter out there for us tonight.

Our young guys aren't intimidated, think they should win, don't back down, and are improving. This team has a lot of talent, a lot of potential, and a lot of growth they will have to go through. But back in July, did anyone think that in late december we would be so pissed off about a loss to the Cavs in overtime,with Lebron and Mo both having great games?

S

sactownfan

It was an absolutely competitively and entertaining game. Our players played at a level I hadn't seen from a king squad in a long time.. Mistakes were made but wow their playing so much better than I expected... These mistakes will be addressed over time... It was a great game

On a different note, Shaq's age is becoming a very large hindrance on him and he has almost become a hindrance to this team. No longer is he a dominant force inside. No longer does he strike fear into the opposing team. Just look at our own Spencer Hawes, who would go home and cry mommy if he were playing the Shaq of a few years ago. But today, Spencer banged inside with him and Shaq wasn't able to control the paint. It's almost sad seeing a great like Shaq go down, but as a Kings fan, there's some happiness in there too that no longer will we see the Shaqtus poke us.

Status
Not open for further replies.