Cavs @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt he was trying to disrespect Tyreke. Was just trying to get in the rookies head a little nothing wrong with that. Just showes he was concerned about losing the game. Saw the game again... lebron did not stop tyreke as much as tyreke stopped himself. The shots missed were jumpers.... his weakness. Drove the ball 3 times go the rim 3 times. 1 pass 2 close shots one missed from nerves... happens to rookies... happens to everyone LBJ included.

Last edited:
IMHO people are being too hard on the rookies. They're playing far above expectations and they're feeling the thrill of playing before an excited fan base. Let them make their rookie mistakes and learn from them. We saw three good quarters of TEAM ball before there started to be some chinks in the armor. They desperately wanted to win, and just didn't know how to go about getting it done against Lebron James and company.

Westphal will work with them. I know it's tough, but have faith and have patience. They're only going to get better as time goes on. I promise.

:D
I'm not being to hard on the rookies. He's playing great, I wouldn't have it any other way. However, the criticism needs to be their if he is going to get any better. The fact is that they were horrible "rookie" shots. The fact that I am making such a big deal about it shows how good Casspi really is already. I hope that Casspi realizes how crap those shots were and knows not to do it next time, and if he doesn't Westphal needs to teach him, which I'm sure he will.

It sucks to lose, but I think this is a game they will learn a lot from, and its a good thing they have 3 days until the Lakers game, so they can have some time to absorb the lessons.

First of all, there are a lot of positive things the Kings can take from tonight's game. The defense was solid most of the game, and the Cavs had to work hard for their points. Spencer had a solid game. Casspi had an amazing first half.

Westphal admitted to a mistake he made in leaving the starters on the court a bit too long. He usually doesn't do that, but in any case I'm sure he will take that into consideration next time, even if his starters are doing as well as they did tonight.

I guess Omri was really exhausted and unfocused in overtime. Otherwise, it's hard to explain those two bad plays he made. He knows Anthony Parker better than just about anyone in the NBA, since Parker played for Maccabi and is one of the most famous basketball players in Israel of all time. And knowing Parker that well, he should've known that beating him off the dribble is almost impossible (just like Tyreke should've known that beating Lebron to the rim would not be an easy task, and he should probably consider some other options when the game is this close).

The most important lesson, though, was that it's great to have someone like Tyreke who can win games like he has done in the past week, but Tyreke and the team need a backup plan, incase that doesn't work out. And teams like the Cavs, Lakers, and Nuggets will definitely know what to do to stop Tyreke at the end of the game if they know that he has no other option but to try to win it himself. I think that even PW got so caught up in the hype that made Tyreke out to be some kind of superman, and told him to make the final play, even though the Cavs were well prepared for it. But the truth is, Tyreke is an amazing basketball player, but he's also human and he and everyone else need to understand that. He should watch the tape of the game and follow Lebron. Even though Lebron can drive to the basket any time he wants to, he is still aware of where his teammates are at every point in the game and if he sees someone in a better position, even if he's already driving, he will pass the ball to that person. Tyreke is not there yet in terms of his court awareness (although he will get there pretty soon with PW as his coach).

Anyway, good game. Sucks to lose, but now it's time to beat the Lakers!

given his past I stick with my orginal statement
He can be a D B and sure it is a DB move but it's really more about trying to get in someones head then trying to disrespect a player.

Hell more fire for tyreke to get better. If he gets a jumper even the great king wont be able to guard him... hell I don't think he can guard him now let alone with a jump shot. Tyreke messed up because Lebron was over his head mentally.... not physically.

Tyreke could have done alot to hurt the Cavs today if not by his scoring his drive and setups. Like I said earlier. His jumper will improve with time but his decision making will improve even more and that's what will make the kid deadly.

I dont think theres a whole lot to be learned from tonights game. Unless learning how to shoot freethrows well and defending the paint are included.there must be between 5-10 games this year that were lost due to a poor team freethrow percentage.

After watching the game a second time I have to say this was one of our best games of the year. We just took one of the favorites for the championship to OT starting no one over 23.

We could get into the details of why we lost or we could appreciate the growth that has happened in the last month to get us to this point. Particularly:

- Turnovers... 9 on the game and wow what amazing improvement from the Kings.

- the two young wings. Donte played great D on Lebron when he was in there and never seemed to lose his head and played within himself. Omri came out shooting the lights out and working hard.

- Spencer Hawes. Its amazing how effective he is when he just plays within himself. When Spencer focuses on defense and rebounding, the scoring tends to come through putbacks and short shots off drive and dishes.

Sure Tyreke held the ball a bit late in the game but he's a young superstar learning what it takes to close out games against other superstars. It was his first time playing Lebron and I guarantee next time he will adjust. Sure we missed some free throws that would have won it, but that's been a concern for a while and with the shooters we have its something im confident we will fix. The Cavs made some rediculous shots, benefitted from some youthful mistakes, and got the advantage in the calls a championship contender gets against an up and coming team and we still took them to OT.

We played great no sense missing the forest for the trees, we're growing...I'm thrilled with tonight.

"It was a good experience," Evans said. "I have known LeBron for a while now and growing up and watching him play. At the end of the game he was laughing at me and saying that this is where the superstar steps up. He did a good job finding open teammates and we didn't."

What a great game. I'm not too disappointed that Evans and Omri tried to be glorious and failed miserably; I blame it on the Arco Thunder and they will get used to it.
I can't wait to see how Kobe guards Evans!

That loss is DIRECTLY THE RESULT OF SPENCER HAWES.

4 THREES BY "Z" FROM THE CORNER AND SPENCER HAWES NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. NOT EVEN IN THE FRAME. Easy to win games when you can get a high percentage three point shooter launch threes from his favorite shot again and again with the game on the line. I have no idea why PW left Hawes in the game, but it cost the Kings the game. Hawes's defense is terrible and it showed big time in the last 3 minutes. That should have been Brockman guarding "Z". At least there would have had a hand in "Z"'s face on those shots he made. or made "Z" work harder for those shots. I guess you can call that a learning experience for Hawes, but I think we have a right to be angry. Hawes was guarding the invisible man who was under the rim. The invisible man didn't attempt a shot, but if he had he would have easily scored on Hawes. Everyone else does, so why not imaginary figures. WHO was Hawes Guarding in the POST that was more important than "Z" in his favorite spot on the court that everyone knows he loves and hits a high percentage of shots from. Defense by Hawes, even token defense would have made all the difference

What was Westphal doing leaving in Hawes down the stretch? This must be future building move, because in a game like the one against a powerhouse team, the margin for error is small and rebounding is paramount, Hawes gave us nothing.NADA, Zilch!! We needed another answer in this game to win. How GREAT would it have been if "The BROCKNESS MONSTER " had been in there playing defense and getting the big rebounds, this outcome would have been a whole lot different. Brockman in and maybe we win this game. Coach Wesphal, do NOT underestimate the power of a full house. You could see the team respond by coming out great in the third. The 4 Evans is roughly 25/7/7, for the Kings rookie sensation!! Those numbers have the coaching staff elated! The Kings are elated about the way the new rookies have responded! Great JOB Evans up on the nite!!

I think Westphal used this as a barometer game to see what Hawes has and if he can BE a starter in this league. Hawes showed flashes of ability throughout the game, but with the game on the line, the defense went through him like a hot knife through butter. We need to trade Hawes and K9 for a Starting Center. I know those are hard to come by, but the fact of the matter is, Center is the weakness possession on this team. And Hawes is the overwhelming cause for how weak our center position is. Funny how when the game is on the line, teams run iso's to whoever Hawes is defending. It is as obvious as the nose on your face. Hawes is an easy 2 point field goal or a trip to the line. A HUGH WHOLE in the middle of your defense that is for sure!

That must be VERY frustrating for our team to cope with. Hawes seems to be regressing not improving. Anderson Verajao is not an allstar. Hawes made him look like a superstar. Hee-Hawes seems to turn ordinary centers who often look foolish into allstars for a night. Hawes has helped centers and forwards all across the league pad their numbers so that they look great atht he end of the season. In fact, Hawes is the WORST center in the league. I saw WAY TOO MANY MOVES that easily dislodged Hawes from his post position letting others teams score at will against Hawes. It is time to make a permanent change at center. Let him come in with the 2nd unit that plays scrappy tough and see if his energy level increases. If NOT, Hawes is a prime candidate to make that long bus ride to Reno for the rest of the year or until he develops into something more that a center that wont be a detriment to the team.

Last edited:
4 THREES BY "Z" FROM THE CORNER AND SPENCER HAWES NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. NOT EVEN IN THE FRAME. Easy to win games when you can get a high percentage three point shooter launch threes from his favorite shot again and again with the game on the line.
Z averages two 3 pointers a season; he's shot 21/78 (26.9%) in his career before going 3 for 3, not 4, tonight bringing his percentage to an amazing 29.6%. He just got hot from the corner and Hawes did his best to get to him. He had to help out with LBJ going to the basket.

It took LBJ to shoot 14/30, Mo to shoot 10/19, and Z to shoot 10/14 to beat us and the Kings still could've pulled off the win. Most of these shots were guarded as best as they possibly could be. If either Mo or Z had an off night or actually shot the percentage they're shooting this season, or if LBJ didn't light it up in the 1st half, Kings win without a doubt.

given his past I stick with my orginal statement
I agree. There was a sequence when Tyreke was going one on one with Lebron and missed the jumper and Lebron found Shaq for an easy dunk on the other hand, and as Lebron walking to Cavs timeout huddle he gave that dismissive look to one of his teammates "what is he trying to do against me..." maybe I am completely off but I think it has something to do with Tyreke going one on one with him. Noah was completely right about all the dancing in that Cavs-Bulls game. Not that the Cavs would be down 35 to the bulls, but if Lebron would lead a team to such a comeback I am sure he would rub it in nicely. Not shaking the Magic players hands... As much as I like him as a dominating force, he can improve in the having some class department.

Yes, but people who don't feel that way are just as entitled to their opinions as you are to yours. And don't expect to get a lot of agreement. You're acting as though this is a finished-product team...and it's not. It's a rebuilding team whose record last year included SEVENTEEN wins. My educated guess is that you're going to find a majority of Kings fans disagree with the idea that not beating the Cavs is indicative of failure. And if that happens, I hope you can live with being in the minority with your opinion.
I said losing all 3 games.

On a different note, Shaq's age is becoming a very large hindrance on him and he has almost become a hindrance to this team. No longer is he a dominant force inside. No longer does he strike fear into the opposing team. Just look at our own Spencer Hawes, who would go home and cry mommy if he were playing the Shaq of a few years ago. But today, Spencer banged inside with him and Shaq wasn't able to control the paint. It's almost sad seeing a great like Shaq go down, but as a Kings fan, there's some happiness in there too that no longer will we see the Shaqtus poke us.

Hold those thoughts for late March. Everybody knows the Big Diesel doesn't start to roll until playoff time (stint with PHO not accounted for).

I kind of like the fact that the first time Lebron was on Tyreke all alone that Tyreke wanted to show him up. It might of been the wrong thing to do for this game, but it was kind of like when Rocky took some shots against Clubber Lang and stoodd there and basically said lets go. Lets get it on. Tyreke was not afraid, as a matter of fact, he was a little cocky. And make NO MISTAKE superstars are COCKY.

This was a great game. This YOUNG team is making statements each night. They arent making the finals this year, forget it. But to be where we are right now after the past 2 seasons is a wonderful thing.

The crowds are going ot return to Arco and we all have a team worth getting excited about.

Now if someof you could tone donw your blame game crap.

Blamng Westphal for the loss?? Histerical.

Had Tyreke made that last shot everyone would be on here singing his praises for making such a great move by NOT calling a timeout.

Hold those thoughts for late March. Everybody knows the Big Diesel doesn't start to roll until playoff time (stint with PHO not accounted for).

I dont think so. Shaq is a shell of his former self. Like the other person said, even Spencer was not intimidated one bit. I always hated Shaq (dont kow why, he was always hell of funny, and an overall good guy... but he was a Laker) and now I find myself a little sad watching him. He will not be a factor at all as to how far the Cavs go. Ad this is likely it for the Diesel.

(snip)

Blamng Westphal for the loss?? Histerical.

Had Tyreke made that last shot everyone would be on here singing his praises for making such a great move by NOT calling a timeout.

True, myself included. I noticed that the nature of his recent perceived genius has been hinged upon luck. That being said, to be successful you must be willing to take risks. I blame the loss on Mo Williams, but because Westphal didn't call a timeout I sat and boiled over with frustration for his late game risk taking. After a while the feeling passed, and I felt good about taking the Cavs to OT in the face of great performances by a number of their players.

Last edited:
I dont think so. Shaq is a shell of his former self. Like the other person said, even Spencer was not intimidated one bit. I always hated Shaq (dont kow why, he was always hell of funny, and an overall good guy... but he was a Laker) and now I find myself a little sad watching him. He will not be a factor at all as to how far the Cavs go. Ad this is likely it for the Diesel.

You may be right again, but remember how he put up solid numbers for the Suns? Hell, he put up near all-star numbers for the Suns after everyone said he was washed up. Everybody is saying it again. Lakers fans I know are telling me that Shaq is the real speed bump in the Cavs road to the title. No one will know until play off time whether he can really help or hinder Lebron. Given last nights sampling, I didn't really see him have more of an adverse effect than Big Z. I didn't see an improvement over Big Z either though.

4 THREES BY "Z" FROM THE CORNER AND SPENCER HAWES NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. NOT EVEN IN THE FRAME.
The game was over before he it the first one. The Cavs were already up 4 and the Kings didn't score in OT.

Didn't read the thread, but Evans needs to push the ball. One time he should have been called for an 8 second violation in the last 2 minutes and another was very close. Run the dam ball over the half court then slow down if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.