Brandon Knight?

I think we all agree we need a decent back up point.

I think targeting Lin is our main option but just maybe a player like Brandon Knight could be as interesting since he's probably even cheaper to get. He's barely getting minutes on the Rockets and they already said they'd be open to trade for him.

He'd be an upgrade over Frank and Yogi and would be a great asset if he could play like in his Bucks days. He'd fit in great in our style of play.

The more I think about it the more I like it.

We could just trade Ben for pennies on the dollar, or cut him outright. Knight is a combo guard anyway. He used to be a pretty good player so I'd be interested.

His assist numbers are terrible but he plays with Harden who takes a shot every time he gets his hands on the ball so I'd take that assist number w/ a grain of salt.

Not sure what the price tag would be. Can't imagine it's much of anything.

Personally, I'm happy with Yogi Ferrell and the occasional Frank. This team needs to focus on getting better defensively within the front court, we've got plenty of offense.

off topic but I didn't realize that Khris Middleton was packaged with Brandon Knight in exchange Brandon F'ing Jennings... What a horrendous move by the Pistons.

Personally, I'm happy with Yogi Ferrell and the occasional Frank. This team needs to focus on getting better defensively within the front court, we've got plenty of offense.

off topic but I didn't realize that Khris Middleton was packaged with Brandon Knight in exchange Brandon F'ing Jennings... What a horrendous move by the Pistons.
At the time Knight was a decent up and coming player, but Middleton was a nobody. He was a 2nd round pick putting up meh numbers. He was probably thought of as a no name throw in. I don't think anyone imagined he would turn into what he is now.

Jennings is such a strange story. He exploded onto the scene when he arrived in the NBA and then...his play suddenly dropped off a cliff and he faded into obscurity.

At the time the trade didn't look that unbalanced, but time obviously tells a different story now.

The more I think about it the more I like it.

We could just trade Ben for pennies on the dollar, or cut him outright. Knight is a combo guard anyway. He used to be a pretty good player so I'd be interested.

His assist numbers are terrible but he plays with Harden who takes a shot every time he gets his hands on the ball so I'd take that assist number w/ a grain of salt.

Not sure what the price tag would be. Can't imagine it's much of anything.
Exactly what I was thinking. A low risk trade. If it turns out to be nothing, so be it. But he could be a real asset as a back up point or shooting guard. He also is just 28 years old so he's still able to get his game back on track. The stats he's putting up now don't say too much since he's just not getting any minutes at all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think we all agree we need a decent back up point.

I think targeting Lin is our main option but just maybe a player like Brandon Knight could be as interesting since he's probably even cheaper to get. He's barely getting minutes on the Rockets and they already said they'd be open to trade for him.

He'd be an upgrade over Frank and Yogi and would be a great asset if he could play like in his Bucks days. He'd fit in great in our style of play.
Sorry, but I don't agree with your first statement. The more I see of Yogi, the more I'm convinced we can utilize him and concentrate first on upgrading our SF.

Whenever someone says "he'd be a great asset if he could play like in his _______ days," I get nervous. Add in his recurring injury problems and I think he's a hard NO.

Kevin O'Connor @KevinOConnorNBA
The Rockets have had trade discussions with the Grizzlies on a potential trade involving Brandon Knight, according to league sources. Houston has been offering a first-round pick to get rid of Knight’s contract.

-----
If we get a late first just for taking Knight, I would jump at that.

The Rockets have had trade discussions with the Grizzlies on a potential trade involving Brandon Knight, according to league sources. Houston has been offering a first-round pick to get rid of Knight’s contract.

-----
I been saying we should offer Bjelica the Rockets need a PF who can space the floor and unlike Ryan Anderson do other things as well, if the Rockets bomb out on Mirotic there is not many better "stretch 4's" than Bjelly. Im also assuming the trade with the Grizz would involve Green since he would be a amazing fit for them.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

-----
Knight is owed $15.6M next year (on top of the $14.6M pro-rated for this year). How much do you think a late first-round pick is worth?

I been saying we should offer Bjelica the Rockets need a PF who can space the floor and unlike Ryan Anderson do other things as well, if the Rockets bomb out on Mirotic there is not many better "stretch 4's" than Bjelly. Im also assuming the trade with the Grizz would involve Green since he would be a amazing fit for them.
I think trading Houston Beli or Green would be doing them a massive favor. If Houston wants to get rid of Knight, they're going to be the one's doing the favors for other teams. I'm guessing Knight + first rounder for expirings. I wouldn't give up a solid starter or even a solid rotational player for a guy with a big contract and a late pick in a weak draft. Houston has no leverage here.

I would take on Knight under the following circumstances only....

1. A 1st round pick is attached to Knight's contract AND
2. That 1st round pick becomes an integral part of the follow on trade that returns Porter or Ingram to the Kings.

If we are not on-trading that pick for a long term SF, then no thanks.

I would take on Knight under the following circumstances only....

1. A 1st round pick is attached to Knight's contract AND
2. That 1st round pick becomes an integral part of the follow on trade that returns Porter or Ingram to the Kings.

If we are not on-trading that pick for a long term SF, then no thanks.
This is where I'm at. We need a guy who can start at SF and then we can worry about depth. Until we have that option in place, taking on new salaries for small returns (and helping out our competition by freeing up their salary space) is doing us no favors and making moves for making moves sake. We spent a lot of time paying for rash decisions attempting quick fixes and are finally in an enviable space. We have a nice core that should be reaching their prime at or around the time the existing top teams start to fall off. We're so close so why get impatient now?

This is where I'm at. We need a guy who can start at SF and then we can worry about depth. Until we have that option in place, taking on new salaries for small returns (and helping out our competition by freeing up their salary space) is doing us no favors and making moves for making moves sake. We spent a lot of time paying for rash decisions attempting quick fixes and are finally in an enviable space. We have a nice core that should be reaching their prime at or around the time the existing top teams start to fall off. We're so close so why get impatient now?
Taking on those salaries might have made sense last season or even the season before once we traded DMC. However, with the progress the team has made this season, the last thing we need to do is take on long term salary in order to get a pick or two. That is counter productive unless that pick or two is a big part of the trade to address position of need in the long term. Making moves for the sake of making them makes no sense to me and it is counter productive.

I would rather trade a couple of 2nd round picks that we have stock piled to get a player that would fill a need for us (e.g. Lin). Again, even though its the freaking Lakers, I would happily take on salary in their potential AD trade if it means that Ingram ends up with the Kings as part of that trade. Not sure how realistic that is but unless we are getting a major long term piece for the team, I am not taking a bad contract into the cap space just to get a pick in the late 20s.