Artest Has Been Suspended for Game 2!!!!

Well Artest did do something he knows he shouldn't have done and he didn't get away with it. What bothers me is that when I saw the replays of Manu's elbow to Ron's mouth, I thought it looked intentional too. Manu kind of looks back toward Ron and then slams his elbow back into Ron's face as he (Manu) turns.

If its right that Ron be suspendeed and it probably is, then Ginobili should be suspended too, IMHO. Altho I'm positive the Spurs fans will defend that.:rolleyes:

Just to point out regarding the complaints about "what was Duncan doing hip checking Artest". Check the video and check SAR's right arm.

SAR and Duncan were crossing the lane and SAR extends his right arm pushing off of Duncan who then stumbled into Artest.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
striker said:
Just to point out regarding the complaints about "what was Duncan doing hip checking Artest". Check the video and check SAR's right arm.

http://www.ezekielbearsports.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=26441

SAR and Duncan were crossing the lane and SAR extends his right arm pushing off of Duncan who then stumbled into Artest.
Reef doesn't have the strength to do that to Tim Duncan with his whole body, let alone one arm.

Three things likely happened.

1) Duncan was swerving to avoid Reef's hand.

2) That looks like a designed play to scrape Ron off and allow Manu to slice to the hoop as Duncan clears out his man running to the opposite side of the floor. Hence the butt bounce = basically an ilegal screen.

3). Its Ron Artest, and the Spurs wanted to be rough with him and get in what little extra pops they could.

NONE of those three involve Tim Duncan being violently thrown off balance by a half hearted handcheck, conveniently right into Ron Artest's back.

striker said:

http://www.ezekielbearsports.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=26441

Kenny (not SAR) could have barely grazed TD with his fingertips. If someone grazes you on your shoulders,
(1) you don't stick your butt out and
(2) definitely you don't lean towards the person "pushing off" of you.

Last edited:
smart move by that ******* pop. now they can beat us by 40.

anyway, this doesn't suprise me one bit. the nba has been ****ting on us for as long as i remember. artest too.

BULLS***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK Ron Artest had his forearms up...but Manu is flailing all over the place....its was really more incidental contact that a malicious blow.

And if he really wanted to lay into him why would he look away from his target at the same time....what a joke....TOny Parker or Duncan does the same thing....NO ONE at the league office would notice.

What bullsnot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to get routed tomorrow....but at least there will be fire in our bellies on Friday.

Bricklayer said:
Reef doesn't have the strength to do that to Tim Duncan with his whole body, let alone one arm.

NONE of those three involve Tim Duncan being violently thrown off balance by a half hearted handcheck, conveniently right into Ron Artest's back.
A guy running across the lane, on one leg, shoved with an extended arm by another guy and he can't be knocked off balance? You must have done very poorly in physics.

coolhandluke said:
It's Kenny, #9. TD does a intentional hip-check. See image here.
Basketball games are not played in still life. Back it up. You're missing the two handed shove that gets Duncan in that position. If you want I'll post the video on RealGM with a poll so we can get some more objective observations.

I am sorry.. I cannot bad mouth the NBA on this one. The Maloofs rolled the dice when they traded Peja for Artest and it was working out well to this point. He was being a model citizen, but as many said when we first heard the news about getting him they were hoping he didn't pull a "Ron Artest" while in Sacramento. He clearly was trying to get Manu. You throw your arm out and hit someone in the head you should get in serious trouble. Of course, because of his rep he may get the suspension quicker than someone else who doesn't have his rep--all the more reason why he should have kept his head and not thrown a forearm at the direction of the persons head who earlier in the game had most likely cheap shotted you!! Once again because he cannot keep himself under control the whole franchise will pay. Maybe I am simplifying things to much... but to me if you ARE Ron Artest coming back after being suspended for most of one year, you mostly like will have to be very careful in how you choose to be "physical" with opponents. Fair or not--that is his life based on his previous bad choices. It is not like he was an altar boy before he showed up in Sacramento. He didn't earn this kind of scrutiny in Sac town.:(

striker said:
Basketball games are not played in still life. Back it up. You're missing the two handed shove that gets Duncan in that position. If you want I'll post the video on RealGM with a poll so we can get some more objective observations.
Unfortunately, pictures don't lie. If you can prove a two handed shove, go ahead and show it.

i'm very disappointed in the league for this ruling. it shows both a lack of scruples and very poor taste. it's a slap in the face to the kings after an already embarrasing loss, and it further shows that the league prefers to play favorites rather than play fair, and i'm sorry, that's bull****. the fact that both ron artest and manu ginobili floored each other during the same game remains, and the fact that only one of them was under review also remains.

advertent, inadvertent...it doesn't matter. here's the ruling as handed down by stu jackson:

Sacramento’s Ron Artest Suspended

NEW YORK, April 24, 2006 – Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings has been suspended one game without pay for making forearm contact to the head of Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.

http://www.nba.com/news/artest_060424.html

"forearm contact to the head"?!?! what the hell does that mean? and why does manu ginobili's "elbow contact to the lip" not deserve the same punishment? the nba's lack of equality, both from their officials and from their front office, is growing tiresome.

Bricklayer

coolhandluke said:
It's Kenny, #9. TD does a intentional hip-check. See image here.
This looks to be the play they were running. If it works, then Manu either slices to the hoop off of Duncan's ***, or pops free in the bottom corner. Ball looks to be at a bad angle for delivery, but Parker can probably take car of that with a dribble or two.

Woudl not entirely shock me if the top half of that looks like Nazr coming over to set a pick on Bibby so that Parker can pop free into the top of the key area (with Brad too deep to help). But that's just speculation.

Attachments

Last edited:
Padrino said:
"forearm contact to the head"?!?! what the hell does that mean? and why does manu ginobili's "elbow contact to the lip" not deserve the same punishment? the nba's lack of equality, both from their officials and from their front office, is growing tiresome.
Because that was unintentional where as Artest's elbow was clearly intentional. Artest should know by now not to do stupid crap like this. He is under the microscope.

I don't even know what to say. It it what it is and he is will not play. Personally, the only way that I could agree that a suspension was warrented was if manu was suspended as well. As somebody pointed out, "the last time I checked, the mouth was part od the head." I also do not understand was it ws announced today. Why not do it Sunday? We basically wasted a whole day of pratice yesterday.

This stinks. I am going to try to stay positive, but it is hard.

chelle said:
I don't even know what to say. It it what it is and he is will not play. Personally, the only way that I could agree that a suspension was warrented was if manu was suspended as well. As somebody pointed out, "the last time I checked, the mouth was part od the head." I also do not understand was it ws announced today. Why not do it Sunday? We basically wasted a whole day of pratice yesterday.

This stinks. I am going to try to stay positive, but it is hard.

I agree..I believe manu got away with one. But still.. just because someone else behaves badly it is no excuse for what Ron did. He of all people should know that he is being closely scrutinized based on his past. I am not saying that is "fair" but that is life. Ron made a bone-headed decision and now the whole teams pays.:(

Padrino said:
NEW YORK, April 24, 2006 – Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings has been suspended one game without pay for making forearm contact to the head of Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.

http://www.nba.com/news/artest_060424.html

so was this not a rule in 2002? and if it was then why wasn't kobe suspended for making bibby's nose bleed? can david stern PLEASE answer this?? PLEASE??

Bricklayer

kingsfannPDX said:
so was this not a rule in 2002? and if it was then why wasn't kobe suspended for making bibby's nose bleed? can david stern PLEASE answer this?? PLEASE??
Actually I don't think it was a rule in 2002. At least not of the mandatory variety. Uolj was saying this came about because of Peeler -- maybe the Peeler/KG incident from '04?

kingsfannPDX said:
I believe the NBA decided that Bibby threw a "hard foul" with his nose.:rolleyes:

ImaKingsFan said:
I agree..I believe manu got away with one. But still.. just because someone else behaves badly it is no excuse for what Ron did. He of all people should know that he is being closely scrutinized based on his past. I am not saying that is "fair" but that is life. Ron made a bone-headed decision and now the whole teams pays.:(
yeah we all know what ron did was stupid and we can be angry at ron. but i think everyone including myself is angry at the double standards this league has.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ImaKingsFan said:
I am sorry.. I cannot bad mouth the NBA on this one. The Maloofs rolled the dice when they traded Peja for Artest and it was working out well to this point. He was being a model citizen, but as many said when we first heard the news about getting him they were hoping he didn't pull a "Ron Artest" while in Sacramento. He clearly was trying to get Manu. You throw your arm out and hit someone in the head you should get in serious trouble. Of course, because of his rep he may get the suspension quicker than someone else who doesn't have his rep--all the more reason why he should have kept his head and not thrown a forearm at the direction of the persons head who earlier in the game had most likely cheap shotted you!! Once again because he cannot keep himself under control the whole franchise will pay. Maybe I am simplifying things to much... but to me if you ARE Ron Artest coming back after being suspended for most of one year, you mostly like will have to be very careful in how you choose to be "physical" with opponents. Fair or not--that is his life based on his previous bad choices. It is not like he was an altar boy before he showed up in Sacramento. He didn't earn this kind of scrutiny in Sac town.:(
Good points all...

It's just so frustrating. I've revised my signature.

I still love this team. But I wonder if they - or perhaps I - are/am cursed.

Sometimes you're the windshield. Other times you're the bug. Today the Kings are clearly the bug... I hope tomorrow they're the windshield.

GO KINGS!!!

this artest thing reminds of that line in scarface. he says something like "you need people like me, so you can point ****ing finger and say, 'that's the bad guy,' so say goodnight to the bad guy"