49ers

Ch 13's website is reporting that a 31 yr old man fell to his death at the 49er game today. Apparently, he was sitting on a wall on the concourse when he fell about 20 feet.

What a shame. Sounds just like the young man that fell at ARCO a short while back.

Prayers and condolences for his family and friends. :(
That is just so sad. Thoughts and prayers.

Yeah Willis had his second straight 18 tackle game.
Willis is an amazing football player. He can be the centerpiece of that defense up there.

The 9ers shouldn't have let go of Norv Turner. Would have had two very qualified assistant coaches for a young, up-and-coming (before this season) team in Turner and Mora Jr.

As far as Smith goes, he hasn't really had a chance to show anything one way or the other. He still just in his third year, has only about 30 appearances, and showed some pretty good improvement in his second year. He's battled through injuries this year, and doesn't really have any offensive talent around him. Gore is having a horrible season, especially compared with the way he played last year.

I think he should be named the starter at the beginning of training camp next season, and he should be allowed to grow and mature as a quarterback with the team. There isn't going to an available qb that will improve your team next year, even if Colt Brennan somehow survives past the top five. Just ride it out with the young guy that you paid all that money to, and if he can't get together after four years in the League, then you can part ways with him. But I think it's premature to give up on him already.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Smith is named the starter at the beginning of training camp and STILL doesn't show the improvement you think he's capable of, will you finally come over to the "Smith was a mistake" camp?

Just curious as I think people are giving Smith more excuses than they've given any other QB of the 49ers ...

My opinion, of course, was always that I didn't want him. And yes, if he does show improvement and prove himself worthy, I shall admit my mistake.

:)

I'll give him a chance in training camp but also want the coaching staff whether it is Nolan or someone else to bring someone in for competition.

If he was never injured and played as bad as he has when he was in there then I'd be in the 100% bust get him out of here category.

If Smith is named the starter at the beginning of training camp and STILL doesn't show the improvement you think he's capable of, will you finally come over to the "Smith was a mistake" camp?

Just curious as I think people are giving Smith more excuses than they've given any other QB of the 49ers ...

My opinion, of course, was always that I didn't want him. And yes, if he does show improvement and prove himself worthy, I shall admit my mistake.

It's a little bit easier for me to be patient; I'm not a 49ers fan. :p

I just don't think it's time to cut bait with the guy, not just yet. He showed the ability to make plays as a second year guy. Usually, a quarterback needs at least three seasons to get acclimated, and by then you know what he's going to be. He hasn't had three seasons as the quarterback. I should add, I am not a huge Alex Smith or Utah fan; I thought the Niners should have gone with Aaron Brooks.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'll give him a chance in training camp but also want the coaching staff whether it is Nolan or someone else to bring someone in for competition.
In the days of no salary cap, this was easy. We could warehouse Young until Montana showed a little age. But now, we really can't afford another quarterback that is good enough to compete with Smith.

I'll go back to my argument that we need a better offensive line. Remember two weeks ago when the team with 10 sacks on the year got 6 sacks on us? Pretty awful pass protection, eh? Even then, I have doubts about Smith like VF21 but there is no easy solution and a second of time more in the pocket could up the pass completion percentage.

Good grief, for awile yesterday I though Hill was competitive. :)

And it gets worse., gotta register to view the whole story :/

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_7689770?nclick_check=1

49ers' Smith rips into Nolan for turning team against him

In his strongest act of rebellion to date, Smith on Monday said that Nolan has tried to "undermine" his reputation in the locker room. In an exclusive interview with the Mercury News, Smith said Nolan made it clear to teammates that the quarterback was using injuries as an excuse for poor performance, a charge that has left Smith's locker-room reputation in shambles.
"But at that point my arm wasn't getting any better. In fact, it was getting worse and I was going to go get a second opinion. (Nolan) can spin it however he wants to, but the first thing Dr. Andrews told me when he saw me was 'This is much worse than I thought.' "
He came out and said some things to the team," Smith said. "It was like he was telling his side of it and I didn't want to get into it. . . . That was my biggest concern when he did that: I felt it was trying to undermine me with my teammates.
there is much more too.

Man this team is messed up :(

Dang, that's a bummer. I liked Nolan because he seemed to have the respect of his players and be able to bring in players that would make for a good locker room and would respond to his leadership. The team's overachievement last year seemed to bear that out. But he's struggled this year to do anything right, and now this issue with Smith has gotten far enough along that it's concerning. I actually believe Smith's side more than I might believe Nolan's.

I still think Nolan should get another year, but now I'm becoming much less hopeful that he'll be able to take advantage of it. :(

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I guess I'm the anti-uolj because I tend to believe Nolan more than Smith. Bottom line, though, is that this truly sucks...

:(

I also strongly dislike players who take their grievances to the media. Shut up, Smith. Suck it up and deal with it privately. This hurts the entire team and it's not fair to the guys who are trying to do their jobs.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That would be a gutsy move but maybe not the worst idea in the world.
Two main reasons it won't happen:

1. Dr. York will not make a gutsy move.
2. Dr. York will not make any kind of move that requires him to spend more money to remove a problem he helped cause.

I'm glad it won't happen.

I hate quick/rash decisions. In this case, it's actually borderline, and I wouldn't necessarily call it a rash decision. But staying the course for one more year leans toward the attitude I'd prefer from the owner.

I'd say in modern day sports, not firing the coach is the gutsy move.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I hate how Alex is being the whiny baby now.

A month ago when Nolan held out Alex for the Giants game wasn't Alex self-proclaimed ready to go? Didn't Nolan call him a warrior for going out there and trying? It's not until he failed miserably until he called back on the shoulder. Putting it on the coach.

I had been a firm anti-Alex person for awhile now, but this just makes me an Alex hater.

I want the guy gone.

Soon.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm glad it won't happen.

I hate quick/rash decisions. In this case, it's actually borderline, and I wouldn't necessarily call it a rash decision. But staying the course for one more year leans toward the attitude I'd prefer from the owner.

I'd say in modern day sports, not firing the coach is the gutsy move.
Staying the course for one more year would be fine, if I had any faith in the ownership of the team. I do not. I have not since the day Eddie D was forced to turn over ownership to Denise and Dr. York.

I have yet to see ANY indication from Dr. York, who seems to be making all the key decisions, that he gives one whit about the 49ers as a team, as a franchise, as a tradition.

Man Nolan is a real piece of crap. I don't see how you guys can blame this on Alex. People say Nolan keeps a good lockerroom or whatever, no he doesn't. He just gets rid of the guys who don't let him walk all over them. Look at Barlow, he called NoWin hitler and he's gone. Julian Peterson is fine in Seattle and he's playing very well. I mean Nolan is just a bad guy.

And you guys say about Smith that he's at fault for this but that is just being a hater. I don't see how it's his fault Nolan is a piece of trash. He didn't say anything for a while, he came back and played after ESPN reported he should be out for the year, and he didn't say anything and apparently Nolan treated him like crap. Then that doesn't stop so what is he supposed to do? Nolan was talking trash about his own player in the lockerroom and that's pretty pathetic for a guy that's supposed to be a coach, to do that to someone. If it wasn't for our crappy O-line Smith would never been injured in the first place. Eventually Smith had to do something to get Nolan to stop doing this to him so he did. Nolan should be FIRED.

Oh and I'm not saying Smith is good or anything, just that he's been wronged.

Staying the course for one more year would be fine, if I had any faith in the ownership of the team. I do not. I have not since the day Eddie D was forced to turn over ownership to Denise and Dr. York.

I have yet to see ANY indication from Dr. York, who seems to be making all the key decisions, that he gives one whit about the 49ers as a team, as a franchise, as a tradition.
I haven't seen any indication that he doesn't give a whit about the 49ers.

Indications that he does include spending big money in free agency (including the largest contract for a defensive player ever I believe), perfectly nice tributes to Walsh and others, and trying to find the best staff he can find to make football decisions rather than make them himself.

I don't know whether I'd consider him a "good" owner or not, it's too hard to tell, but I haven't seen him do anything to deserve much criticism.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Man Nolan is a real piece of crap. I don't see how you guys can blame this on Alex. People say Nolan keeps a good lockerroom or whatever, no he doesn't. He just gets rid of the guys who don't let him walk all over them. Look at Barlow, he called NoWin hitler and he's gone. Julian Peterson is fine in Seattle and he's playing very well. I mean Nolan is just a bad guy.

And you guys say about Smith that he's at fault for this but that is just being a hater. I don't see how it's his fault Nolan is a piece of trash. He didn't say anything for a while, he came back and played after ESPN reported he should be out for the year, and he didn't say anything and apparently Nolan treated him like crap. Then that doesn't stop so what is he supposed to do? Nolan was talking trash about his own player in the lockerroom and that's pretty pathetic for a guy that's supposed to be a coach, to do that to someone. If it wasn't for our crappy O-line Smith would never been injured in the first place. Eventually Smith had to do something to get Nolan to stop doing this to him so he did. Nolan should be FIRED.

Oh and I'm not saying Smith is good or anything, just that he's been wronged.
Oh please. You're throwing around words like "hater" to describe people who don't like Smith while you totally trash Nolan?

Last time I checked it was Smith whining to the press. He needs to suck it up, shut up and GROW up.

lol what else should he have done to stop this problem??? Nolan is a pathetic coach and I am glad SOMEONE stepped up to rip him. Nolan isn't even a real coach, he's an excuse for a coach. He has no idea about the offensive side of the ball and he's a total JERK. I wasn't originally a Nolan hater, but about your pot calling kettle comment-guess what, he's turned me into a hater lol and I'll admit it. Smith has a torn up shoulder. 2 torn ligaments in his throwing shoulder. Nolan threw him under the bus and so have some other people. I would like to see ANYONE play well with a grade 3 seperation on their throwing shoulder. I'm not saying he's great or even good, but what Nolan did to a guy trying to play with a severe injury is pathetic and disgusting. The guy has no business in the NFL. He's a stupid fool who couldn't score in a game of madden.

Smith tried shutting up and playing in intense pain. Then Nolan blamed everything on the guy when he had a bad injury that was affecting his play. He tried talking to Nolan. That's what was said in the articles I've read anyway. Nolan didn't listen and turn him into the lockerroom clown and pretty much a dead man walking. How is a guy supposed to do well when his coach undermines him like this and he has a severe injury? Not too many people would.

No matter what you think of Smith, you HAVE to see that we NEED to fire NOLAN.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, BMiller but you resorting to calling Nolan a jerk, etc. just takes away any kind of desire I have to discuss this. You're so enamored of Smith for whatever reason you're blind to his defects.

I'm enamored to Smith? I'm not even saying he's a good player. I'm just saying what was he supposed to do if talking to Nolan hadn't worked, which it didn't? Just sit there and take everyone clowning on him while he has a bad injury? Seriously what should he have done? I want to know.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Talking to Nolan didn't work because Alex said he was good to go, and after being completly lame for a few games he decides to bring up the shoulder again.

If he would have flat out said "I can't go" a month ago, would Nolan have MADE him start?

The fact of the matter is Nolan was playing out 'warrior' of a 'franchise QB' because he said he was ready to 'lead' the team.

And bringing up Barlow in an argument against Nolan? You may not like him, but you can do a helluva lot better than that one.

It was just a quick example to show that a lot of the players who have had problems with Nolan have had problems with his dictator personality. Getting Nolan guys, not willing to work with "non nolan guys", etc. Everything must be done Nolan's way or not at all.

Here's a timeline of the Nolan Smith rift: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?&entry_id=22655

Smith and Nolan both stuck to that line, but the real problem then was the swelling and inflammation in Smith's forearm, possibly brought on by a premature and vigorous rehabilitation after Smith's arm had atrophied somewhat from weeks in a sling. Smith met with Nolan to express his disappointment in how the strength staff had handled his rehabilitation.
Nolan told Smith not to mention the arm injury and so Smith didn't, but a few players were joking with Smith about how a ball flew from his grasp while he was trying to throw during the bye week, so reporters knew about forearm injury. Smith was also wearing a wrap on his arm. The injury prevented Smith from making a fist and one source said he needed a pain injection to play.
Smith did talk to Nolan about his injuries and Nolan did nothing. All Smith did was try to help his team and then when it didn't work out Nolan blamed it on Alex instead of making the best decision for the team.

Actually I hear some fans got some money together and are having one of those planes fly over the game on sunday and it will say fire nolan lol

I don't see how Nolan keeps his job, if the season ends as is next year will be even worse.
---

ALEX SMITH

"As I was driving away from the facility yesterday after addressing the media, a reporter approached my car and informed me that he was going to write an article where my teammates commented on me in a negative way. It was a brief exchange. I initially reacted out of frustration based on the questions that were being asked, but the article does not reflect how I truly feel.

"This whole season has been frustrating for everyone.

"I can see how an article like this can be very damaging, but I know my relationships with Coach Nolan and my teammates are stronger than that.

"I met with Coach Nolan today and I never intended this to be a distraction for the team or their preparation for the upcoming game.

"My focus now is to concentrate on getting healthy so I can return and continue to help my team."

MIKE NOLAN

"Alex and I met today and discussed today's report. I understand how he can be caught off guard. It is a difficult time for Alex. He has not had to deal with an injury that will require surgery before.

"The relationship Alex and I have developed over the past three years is stronger than a negative news story.

"Our focus is on getting Alex healthy and our team prepared for Cincinnati."
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=712559

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Some guys behind me at the game on Sunday were calling for Nolan's firing about 5 minutes into the game!
And fans at Kings games used to call for Adelman's head, too. The main frustration for 49er fans is that everything that can go wrong is going wrong. And that always leads to the traditional jumping off the cliff and taking the (coach, player of your choice) with them.

I think Nolan has had an impossible task this year dealing with a lot of things totally out of his control. I think Alex Smith is nowhere good as he or some fans think he is. One situation is fixable. The other isn't. But I'm sure there are loyal NINER fans who believe the exact opposite.

We 49er/Kings fans are a surly lot. I really feel sorry for those who also follow baseball. If they're A's or Giants fans, they have three strikes against them.

As a St Louis Ram fan,

...I'm around dudes who think that the "Whiners" are a bunch of puke-colored losers who are the dark side of the Antichrist and are the #1 team to hate. "Whiner" week seems to bring out the worst in some St Louis Ram fans.

I don't support the hate-the-Whiners, er, 'Niners approach, as I grew up in 'Niner territory and have a lot of friends who are solid 'Niner fans, plus respecting the 'Niners was a matter of survival when I was the only Ram-color-wearing dude in a bar loaded with drunk 'n pissy 'Niner fans watching an ugly game in which the Rams were spanking the 'Niners. Of course there were times when the 'Niners were spanking the Rams badly, such as the times in the '80's, during the Montana era. I got lots of free sympathy beer in those times. :D Montana was sumpth'n else--I always liked to watch him play, especially his patented come-from-behind clutch play. Wow. I'm glad that I got a chance to see Montana play live before that amazing era's curtain closed.

Despite my being a Ram fan, I actually respect the 'Niners, as it is a storied franchise with a long and proud history of championship success; nevertheless, I still love to see my Rams spank the Niners...when that happens, that is, given the lame-ness of the Rams today. Oh well. The cycle of sports, like 21 says...teams rise and fall, come and go, score and punt and so on.

But the interesting thing is that most fans remain fans of their respective teams for life, as if they have a lifetime, no-break contracts with their teams, regardless of how bad a teams low-point cycle may be. Interesting.