49ers

Are horrible!!!!

I'm depressed and can't wait for the Kings season to start. Then I can at least direct my depression into a new direction.:(

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'd like someone to explain to me WHY - in the middle of a thorough thrashing - they're allowing an obviously injured Alex Smith to continue to play.

I think they continued to let him play in order for hiim to find something, ANYTHING, positive to carry over to next week.

49ers are probably the worst team in the league right now. Their defense is slightly above average, but this is one of the worst offenses to hit the NFL in the past decade.

The team has been a complete disappointment in all respects. We all bought whatever MIke Nolan was selling a couple of years ago, but two years, many draft picks and a slough of free agent money later, it all rings hollow. This team should NOT be the worst team in the NFL anymore and they clearly are.

You'll have to roll the dice on the worst team in the league...
My Rams really suck!
At least your Niners have won 2 games....which is sad. Especially losing at home. We have to be one of the lowest achieving divisions in the NFL.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I still miss Eddie deBartolo...and never more than today. This is worse than painful; it actually hurts more because it doesn't hurt any more (if that makes any sense at all).

I still think we are looking in the right direction. Not really moving there yet but we have a few pieces that I like, unlike a few years ago in the Erickson era.

Debartolo was great, loved him, but he was working with no salary cap. Things need to be done the way New England has done things. For instance, they have our 1st round pick next year, which at this point looks to be a real good pick. Those early 80's Niners did have some great drafts though.

At least you aren't a Bangal fan..

this year has been anythign but fun. My whole team has given up. First all the defense gets injured so we have to sign people weekly to keep up with the inhuries. Than Chad Johnson goes crazy on all the coaches/Carson Palmer, and now Carson gives up..

Ugly looking team..

We play the niners this year.. Any bets going?

I will say Bengals 11 Niners 9 :) Ugly game too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Debartolo was great, loved him, but he was working with no salary cap.
I'm referring more to Eddie's LOVE for the team and the fans. What I saw today was just an example of how Dr. York can talk the talk but he certainly cannot walk the walk or instill the desire to walk the walk in others...

I am not a happy NINERS fan right now.

Today's game was garbage, more over disgusting. I hope the 49ers fire their Offensive Coordinator and when the hell is the team gonna score touchdowns instead of those lame field goals I see every time they play. :mad:

Today's game was garbage, more over disgusting. I hope the 49ers fire their Offensive Coordinator and when the hell is the team gonna score touchdowns instead of those lame field goals I see every time they play. :mad:
I seriously can't understand the bootleg they run, they way they run it. Alex always seems to take a weird angle on it. I'd like to say it's because a defender is in his face, which is true most of the time but even when it's free, he takes a weird angle that cuts off options.

Alex has guts, it's too bad our offensive line sucks, our offensive coordinator sucks, and our WRs suck. Nolan's an idiot and we need to fire Hostler, he's awful.

At this point start Hill at WR because Lelie and Battle aren't even doing anything. No team is scared of Gilmore either. The only threat we have that scares people is Vernon. Lets see what we got with Hill. We probably aren't going to the playoffs anyway.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hope Nolan doesn;t lose his job over this. From afar looked like a good oyung coach. But always make a good scapegoat in these situations, and then some other team gets to scoop them up already seasoned.

I'm referring more to Eddie's LOVE for the team and the fans. What I saw today was just an example of how Dr. York can talk the talk but he certainly cannot walk the walk or instill the desire to walk the walk in others...

I am not a happy NINERS fan right now.
Agreed - I am not a happy niners fan either. Super excited coming into the year, but after the first two wins I had this lingering "ickiness" that stuck with me. Something was clearly wrong with this team, and something is clearly wrong with this team. The offense as a whole is just a mess and it just seems like they aren't playing hard enough on offense.

I think the problems start with Alex Smith. Sure, the line hasn't been good this year, but even when he's had protection, he hasn't made the throws that an NFL starting quarterback needs to make. I"m starting to think that he's going to fall into the David Carr, Joey Harrington, Tim Couch mold where they're just no good and the only reason they're really playing is because they were a #1 draft pick. After 4 games this year - 2 TD's, 650 yds, and a completion percentage of 50% - pathetic for a starting quarterback by anyone's standards.

Please Alex, show me some glimpse of hope over this last half of the season.

I think they actually have an extremely difficult time even getting into field goal range.

I like Nolan, as a Player Evaluator and as a Defensive Coordinator, but the late loss of Norv Turner as our OC killed us.. It's STILL in the our offensive player's heads.. Norv Turner is GONE fellas.

I think they actually have an extremely difficult time even getting into field goal range.
To clarify what I said, I'm just tired of the 49ers settling for field goals on the Offense instead of trying to score some TDs. In most of the games I've seen, the 49ers get within field goal range and score their points off of FG's and that definitely has to change immediately.

To clarify what I said, I'm just tired of the 49ers settling for field goals on the Offense instead of trying to score some TDs. In most of the games I've seen, the 49ers get within field goal range and score their points off of FG's and that definitely has to change immediately.
Well, they're only averaging 12 points per game and just a bit over 200 yards per game, meaning they're rarely getting within field goal range even.

To add to my above post, I don't think Frank Gore is the problem. Teams have no reason to fear a deeper pass (20 yards +) and they consistently play 8 men in the box. This makes it nearly impossible for Gore to consistently have space to run. It's amazing he's been able to average 4 yards per carry with all the attention he and the running game get.

I'm sick as everyone else and each week it gets worse and more pathetic.

At half time the half time guys laugh at us.

Nolan bs's that it's all execution and Hostler is doing a great job.

I don't know what to say...Alex has regressed and so has this team.

I want Bill Cower.

Well, they're only averaging 12 points per game and just a bit over 200 yards per game, meaning they're rarely getting within field goal range even.

To add to my above post, I don't think Frank Gore is the problem. Teams have no reason to fear a deeper pass (20 yards +) and they consistently play 8 men in the box. This makes it nearly impossible for Gore to consistently have space to run. It's amazing he's been able to average 4 yards per carry with all the attention he and the running game get.
Yea, I see what your saying. Too bad Gore might of re-injured his ankle and bottom line I think Alex Smith needs a few more years to mature and become a better QB and most of the points scored from the Niners are from FG's and I think that comes from the fact that the Niners QB's aren't that great right now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Die-hard Niner fans from here will remember that I was never sold on Alex Smith in the first place. I don't think he's anywhere near as good as he was touted to be and I don't think a few more years to mature will make that much difference. He doesn't have any kind of real field vision and I don't think that's something you learn. Guys like Montana and Young had it, Smith doesn't...

My 2 cents

I totally agree, this is not a good time to be a Niner fan. Frankly, the entire Bay Area is stinking it up...from the end of a pathetic Giants season, to a what looked to be promising Cal Bears season flopping into nothingness, to a super-dud Niners season (even the Sharks aren't meeting expectations)...I could scream.

But I firmly think that of our problems, and we have many of them, Alex Smith and Mike Nolan are not atop the list.

The offensive playcalling has been horrendous from the get-go. Our up-and-coming defense barely eeked us out two victories at the beginning of the year, one to a team that is 0-8. Some of Hostler's playcalling inexperience was expected, but this guy seems to have no idea what is going on. I don't think he could be successful if he inherited the entire New England offense. For those of you that have watched most of the games, have you not caught yourself yelling at the tv: "why the heck would you call that play" at least 20 times this year?

Now, I think we would have had a little more success under the less-than-stellar playcalling of Hostler if our offensive line didn't completely unravel from day-1. I mean, that is the reason why people are getting injured. And you can't blame Staley, he's a newbie. Allen is on his last breath, Jennings is crap, Heitmann isn't the same after breaking his leg (Brad Miller anyone?). We have to rebuild our offensive line in the offseason and that will not be easy.

The third thing I think we must address before we begin to think about Smith and Nolan is the defensive line. We made huge strides this year on the defensive end relative to last year. There is no doubting that. But the engine is not fully built yet. Abrayo Franklin hasn't exactly been what we've needed and considering that BY is done after this year, we are going to have to rebuild our defensive line too. Marques Douglas has been awesome, but he will just get double-teamed if we don't get him the help he needs.

Finally our WR's. Blech. I don't even want to start with these guys because I will just end up puking in my mouth. Give Hill some reps...it's not like he will ever see the ball but maybe he could at least run the routes, get open, and pretend like the ball will be there so that maybe when we right this ship he will be a contributor. We desperately need a #1 reciever.

I'm not saying that there aren't potential problems with Smith and/or Nolan. But I just think that in terms of importance, the ones I have listed are more prevalent.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^Excellent points, BawLa. I have yelled at the TV ... repeatedly ... over some of the lunatic plays being sent in for Smith or anyone else to try and run.

I guess you're right; there's a lot more wrong than just Smith. It's so hard to see any kind of light at the end of the tunnel; all I can think of is that the light is actually a train and we're really in deeper trouble than we imagined.

Good post BawLa.

I still think we are looking in the right direction. Not really moving there yet but we have a few pieces that I like, unlike a few years ago in the Erickson era.

Debartolo was great, loved him, but he was working with no salary cap. Things need to be done the way New England has done things. For instance, they have our 1st round pick next year, which at this point looks to be a real good pick. Those early 80's Niners did have some great drafts though.
Agreed.

I still like Nolan. The biggest reason being that he got the team to win games they really had no business winning. They really didn't have 7-9 talent last year, but even after major blowouts they still stuck with it. Now the team is in a serious spiral for the first time under his watch, and I'm not sure if he'll be able to figure out a solution. I'm hoping nobody makes any rash decisions, I'd like to see Nolan finish the '08 season and Smith start it at the very least. After that, if things aren't working, then I'd be open to replacing either or both (depending on what actually transpires).

Die-hard Niner fans from here will remember that I was never sold on Alex Smith in the first place. I don't think he's anywhere near as good as he was touted to be and I don't think a few more years to mature will make that much difference. He doesn't have any kind of real field vision and I don't think that's something you learn. Guys like Montana and Young had it, Smith doesn't...
Two words come draft day will solve ALL of the Niners Woes..

COLT BRENNAN!

He is the next great QB.

Good post BawLa.

Agreed.

I still like Nolan. The biggest reason being that he got the team to win games they really had no business winning. They really didn't have 7-9 talent last year, but even after major blowouts they still stuck with it. Now the team is in a serious spiral for the first time under his watch, and I'm not sure if he'll be able to figure out a solution. I'm hoping nobody makes any rash decisions, I'd like to see Nolan finish the '08 season and Smith start it at the very least. After that, if things aren't working, then I'd be open to replacing either or both (depending on what actually transpires).
I'm completely with you on this. I think firing Nolan now, or before next year is just too early. I say we give him and Smith another year to show they can be productive.

If it doesn't work before the end of next year, well, back to the old drawing board.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Two words come draft day will solve ALL of the Niners Woes..

COLT BRENNAN!

He is the next great QB.
Only problem is four words:

ALEX SMITH and SALARY CAP

We can't afford to get another QB as long as Smith is pulling down the major bucks.

Lets just start over again. Keep.. Willis, Clements, Lawson, Vernon Davis, Staley, Andy Lee our MVP and blow the rest up. The rest also includes the coaches.

We are the worst team in football.