49ers

We need to bring in some QB competition for Alex next year.

Hmmm.. let's see who's an UFA.. Rex Grossman, Josh McCown.... LOL wow.. :(

Other Free Agent Quarterbacks
Ken Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns
Ryan Fitzpatrick RFA Cincinnati Bengals
Drew Henson UFA Minnesota Vikings
Cleo Lemon UFA Miami Dolphins
Jared Lorenzen UFA New York Giants
Jamie Martin UFA New Orleans Saints
Jim Sorgi UFA Indianapolis Colts

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Sorgi actually get resigned by the Colts...Which is pretty lame because I would actually have liked to sign him...Peyton Manning's long-time understudy has to have picked up some game management skills just by watching the leader, and combine that with any sort of ability he has and you probably have a pretty decent QB.

I would like to hope someone like Colt Brennan falls to either the second or third round...He has a gimmick offense, but he has been wildly successful the past two years, and despite the gimmicky college offense he is obscenely ACCURATE and that is something you can't really teach to much...Hopefully other teams look and just mindlessly pass...If not draft an experiment in the late rounds...Who knows...You really can't be that much worse that what we have now.

That's the one thing I won't fault Nolan for. Upon hearing that his big $$$ QB is still injured I think the only thing he could do was announce that Smith will not be starting. Anything else would, I believe, actually be a violation of NFL rules.
Yeah it would make sense, might as well just put him on IR and get him to have the surgery.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Have I mentioned recently how very much I hate the Rams? Do you think it's a coincidence they used to be in LA, where I also hate the Lakers? Or could it be symptomatic of a deeper, more troubling hatred?

Isn't it pathetic that I'm reduced to thoughts like this while the 49ers-Ram game is on?

sigh...

I'm so frustrated with this offense that I feel confused inside. Like when you wake up during a nap to a loud doorbell or something.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Any lingering respect I had for Mike Nolan left when he didn't go for the 4th and 10. Trent Dilfer was in the groove and so were the fans. Getting a field goal that STILL left us a TD behind was just an indication Nolan has NO faith in the team whatsoever.

Blech...

Being a Rams fan, that game was no picnic.
Lucky to dominate defensively then almost lose at the end.
Both teams played extremely conservative. You would have thought they were playing for first place instead of last.

I used to despise the Niners as well...but now I just feel sorry for both teams!

I guess it's all about the pride for the players & the fans, take the good with the bad:cool:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Any lingering respect I had for Mike Nolan left when he didn't go for the 4th and 10. Trent Dilfer was in the groove and so were the fans. Getting a field goal that STILL left us a TD behind was just an indication Nolan has NO faith in the team whatsoever.

Blech...
I had not one issue with that...Especially because Joe Nedney is one of the best onside kickers in the league...Say what you want, but if there goes a different bounce and we recover the kick Nolan looks good for his decision. Even after they recovered, the defense did their job.

Just playing to his teams, er, for lack of a better term "strengths."

And what is there to have faith in? The offense has not earned any sort of any sort of respect from anyone.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Blech...
Yup.

Also, this offense has more problems than just the quarterback and wide receivers and offensive line and coaching and ..... It also has the most aggravating tendency to get a penalty. This is not limited to minimum wagers either. I don't get it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I had not one issue with that...Especially because Joe Nedney is one of the best onside kickers in the league...Say what you want, but if there goes a different bounce and we recover the kick Nolan looks good for his decision. Even after they recovered, the defense did their job.

And what is there to have faith in? The offense has not earned any sort of any sort of respect from anyone.
I don't want to create an argument here as I understand your point and this kind of coaching won us the first two games.

But ...... it is a slap in the face to the offense. These guys already feel awful and then their coach does something unusual. Also, an onside kick is fine when not expected but when everybody on the planet knows it's coming, it's tough to win it. The ball still has to go 10 yards and that's an advantage to the receiving team.

Small point in the greater order of things. This team has an amazing amount of problems. Maybe we'll get another chance to draft a quarterback or maybe better yet, with the high pick that is coming, trade down and get two more studs for the offensive line.

Smith is still young (man, I'm being optimistic) and an iron clad line in front of him would make his life easier.

This season is over. Hate to say it.

Maybe we'll get another chance to draft a quarterback or maybe better yet, with the high pick that is coming, trade down and get two more studs for the offensive line.
That high pick is going to New England btw.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

I didn't see the game but I agree - if you're down 9/10/11 and you have 4th and long in FG range you take the kick and then try the onside. You need the onside either way and if you fail to convert the 4th you're still down two scores.

I saw an article earlier this week stating that onside kick percentages are up significantly this season so I suspect this line of thinking will continue to prevail.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

We shall agree to disagree. When you have a team that has done as poorly as the 49ers and they suddenly get hot, you GO FOR IT! Does the phrase "no guts, no glory" sound at all familiar?

That was a conservative call at a time when - perhaps for the first time and possibly last in this season - the circumstances dictated taking a big chance. NO ONE would have faulted him for it. Nolan just doesn't have it in him to take the big chance. I shudder to think what would have happened if Mike Nolan had been the coach when Montana was here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't see the game but I agree - if you're down 9/10/11 and you have 4th and long in FG range you take the kick and then try the onside. You need the onside either way and if you fail to convert the 4th you're still down two scores.

I saw an article earlier this week stating that onside kick percentages are up significantly this season so I suspect this line of thinking will continue to prevail.
Sorry, pdx but if you didn't see the game, I don't think you realize the kind of momentum Trent Dilfer had AND the way the fans were with him. It was a typical Nolan call - done strictly by the book with no consideration towards what was actually happening on the field. At this point, I would lie, cheat or steal to see Nolan actually show some creativity and go with the flow. NO ONE in that stadium would have protested had he gone for the 4th and long.

Oh, and one more thing? They WEREN'T down 9/10/11. They were down by 13-6.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sorry, pdx but if you didn't see the game, I don't think you realize the kind of momentum Trent Dilfer had AND the way the fans were with him. It was a typical Nolan call - done strictly by the book with no consideration towards what was actually happening on the field. At this point, I would lie, cheat or steal to see Nolan actually show some creativity and go with the flow. NO ONE in that stadium would have protested had he gone for the 4th and long.
I felt the air of enthusiasm go out of me and I can only imagine how the team felt.

I'm not sure I would have made the same call, but it was hardly conservative. Nolan played for the win instead of the tie. He did not make the standard decision, he went out on a limb and made the risky call.

Obviously, Nolan had more faith in his special teams to recover an onside kick than he did in his offense to convert a 4th and 10 (and if you just looked at the percentages he might be right).

In the end, there really wasn't anything new here. The defense played a little better than it has recently. Everything else was pretty much status quo for this crappy season.

San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback Alex Smith, who has struggled with shoulder and forearm problems since suffering a Grade III separation of his right shoulder on Sept. 30, will likely need at least two more weeks of rest and rehabilitation, and even then might still require surgery to repair the damage.

The first overall choice in the 2005 draft, Smith was examined on Tuesday by noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Sources close to Smith said Andrews apprised the third-year veteran that the shoulder separation was not significantly improved and might actually be worse in some ways than when he initially viewed the original MRI of the injury three weeks ago.

"It's a third-degree separation, which is what our doctors diagnosed originally," 49ers spokesman Aaron Salkin told ESPN.com's Chris Mortensen. "He needs a couple of more weeks of rehab, then we'll see where he's at."

Smith will return to the Bay Area and undergo more rehabilitation. Smith's agent, Tom Condon, told Mortensen that Andrews believes "surgery may be necessary" if the shoulder does not stabilize after two weeks of therapy.

Given the results of Andrews' examination, there apparently is some possibility now that Smith will not play again in 2007.

Until Tuesday, Smith had not visited with Andrews in person since the injuries. Andrews had, however, studied the MRI results and other tests conducted in San Francisco and had essentially served as a consultant to the 49ers' medical staff.

Smith, 23, complained last week that his throwing arm was "killing" him, and revealed that, in addition to the shoulder separation, he had developed tendinitis in his forearm. He had a cortisone injection for his forearm soreness at mid-week but that did not markedly improve the condition.

Condon suggested that the tendinitis, which kept Smith from being able to grip the ball properly and almost certainly contributed to his recent inaccuracy, may have resulted from an overly aggressive rehabilitation regimen on the part of the 49ers.

There was definitely some tension last week between Smith and head coach Mike Nolan. The quarterback broadly hinted that Nolan was perhaps not as supportive of him as he could have been. Nolan indicated that he may not have understood the seriousness of the injury and said that Smith wanted to play.

Both sides eventually agreed that, at the least, there was a lack of communication. Condon agreed that nobody had the correct information.

"The original MRI didn't show its severity but Dr. Andrews said that's because Alex was laying down when he had the MRI," he said. "Whenever Alex sat up during the exam Tuesday, his clavicle moved way up. That's not normal. It affects him most severely when his arm comes through on his throwing motion."

Nolan criticized Condon on Monday for airing his opinions.

"I don't respect the source," Nolan said. "It would be like me trying to pretend to be a doctor."

In his seven starts this season, Smith has completed 94 of 193 passes for 914 yards, with only two touchdown passes and four interceptions, for a passer rating of 57.2. Perhaps in part because of the shoulder and forearm injuries, the former Utah star has appeared to regress in some areas over his performance of a year ago.

Smith started the first four games of the season before sustaining the shoulder separation, then missed two games before returning to the lineup for three contests. With his arm clearly aching -- some opponents and teammates said Smith grimaced nearly every time he threw the ball -- he sat out last Sunday's game and veteran Trent Dilfer started.

Dilfer will remain the starter for Sunday's upcoming game at Arizona, and likely for the foreseeable future.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3121191

Last edited:
Some comments from our old friend Mr. Kreidler:

Two for the price one: Turner taking down two franchises

It's probably even too much to speculate on what might have happened if the Nolan-Turner partnership had been given another year to run, in 2007. But, staring at the carcass on the field along Candlestick Point these days, it's tempting. And this, too: You hate for a decent guy like Turner to be the punchline to the joke about the time that the coach left one team and joined another, and both got worse.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=kreidler_mark&id=3123377

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Regardless of the outcome, I am very proud of what our Niners have done in Arizona today.

Strickland deserves the game ball, IMHO, just for breaking up that pass that could have been the dagger in our hearts.

GO NINERS!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
YES!!! And the Niners win in OT, due in GREAT PART to the fantastic rundown by Patrick Willis, our first-round draft pick, to deny the Cardinals the TD.

EXCELLENT play by our defense and nice, solid play by Trent Dilfer. And what about Andy Lee?

Dang! This was fun!!!

NINERS!!