49ers

He may not of passed for many yards but still played well while being pressured the whole time against the number 2 or 3 D in the NFL.

Gaines Adams hit on him was cheap...he speared him, put his helmet straight into his ribs and Hill missed the next play and what does Hill do when he comes back? throws a TD ^_^

Go BY

Last edited:
Hill has officially put both the Dilfer and Smith to complete and utter shame on the year.

Hill should definitly be penciled in at number 1 next year when camp opens.
:eek: That is exactly the kind of game Smith would have had after his injury, and he would have done much better before it.

I was much more excited about Gore, Willis and Clements than I was about Hill.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not convinced Hill is the next Joe Montana but I think he's certainly shown that Alex Smith isn't, either.

It is obvious that Hill has proven that our O-line is not as bad as it seems. A shuffle of the feet here, a side step there and step up and make your decision. Alex just can't do that..

SLAB

Hall of Famer
:eek: That is exactly the kind of game Smith would have had after his injury, and he would have done much better before it.

I was much more excited about Gore, Willis and Clements than I was about Hill.
Has Alex thrown three TD passes in one game on the year? That would be a resounding NO as he has all of 2 on the year.

Alex would have wilted like a dead flower under the pressure of the Bucs and we would have lost by a wide margin had he been playing.

That's how bad he's been this year.

Different O-line though, Smiley and JJ were playing before now we are using some of the younger offensive linemen like Baas and Snyder I think. Still though Hill obviously has better pocket presence than Smith, he looks a lot more poised and under control while sometimes Smith looks like a fish out of water. On Sunday Hill had to deal with WRs dropping the ball sometimes and the amount of passes completed went down because of it though, just like Smith had to deal with earlier in the year. Can't we just leave it at "they'll compete for the starting spot in training camp+preseason next year"?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Different O-line though, Smiley and JJ were playing before now we are using some of the younger offensive linemen like Baas and Snyder I think. Still though Hill obviously has better pocket presence than Smith, he looks a lot more poised and under control while sometimes Smith looks like a fish out of water. On Sunday Hill had to deal with WRs dropping the ball sometimes and the amount of passes completed went down because of it though, just like Smith had to deal with earlier in the year. Can't we just leave it at "they'll compete for the starting spot in training camp+preseason next year"?
You still convinced Alex Smith is all that and a bag of chips?

;)

Seriously, I'll be honest. I feel a lot better about next year knowing that the QB job is up for grabs and NOT pre-ordained to be Smith's. Can we agree it's up for grabs? Oh yeah...

:)

Last edited:
You still convinced Alex Smith is all that and a bag of chips?

;)

Seriously, I'll be honest. I feel a lot better about next year knowing that the QB job is up for grabs and NOT pre-ordained to be Smith's. Can we agree it's up for grabs? Oh yeah...

:)

Yea I just want whoever is better at QB, I'm not quite ready to give up on Smith yet but I think Hill should have a shot at the starting job next year because of what he's shown and Smith hasn't, and also he should have a bit of an edge over Alex IMO. If Smith tears it up next year or is the better player that'd be great but if that's Hill that's great too, I'm just happy that like you said the job is up for grabs:)

First off I hate you niner fans because I am a Bengal fan, and you stole TWO superbowls from my team. The first being a goal line stand that ended our hopes, and the second was a dropped int (Fulcher of the Bengals dropped the interception that would have ended the game, and we know the Taylor TD reception that crushed our hopes)

Than you have this year.. BAH!

Anyhow, How do the niner fans feel about Shaun Hill? He has come on and given you all a decent QB. Now the coaches need to let him pass the ball.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Heheheh. I have a commemorative crystal mug from SuperBowl XXIII. In case you've forgotten, the score that year was SAN FRANCISCO 20. Cincinnati 16. Watching the Montana years and then the Young years, it's clear to me that Alex Smith is neither a Montana nor a Young...

;)

As far as Hill goes, I think his main benefit is in showing that Alex Smith ISN'T the QB some thought he would be. Will he (Hill) be our QB going forward? I don't know but he's certainly going to liven up training camp next year.

Heheheh. I have a commemorative crystal mug from SuperBowl XXIII. In case you've forgotten, the score that year was SAN FRANCISCO 20. Cincinnati 16. Watching the Montana years and then the Young years, it's clear to me that Alex Smith is neither a Montana nor a Young...

;)

As far as Hill goes, I think his main benefit is in showing that Alex Smith ISN'T the QB some thought he would be. Will he (Hill) be our QB going forward? I don't know but he's certainly going to liven up training camp next year.

Well yeah, Smith is definitely not a Montana or Young. If Hill turns out to not be the answer I'd honestly be relieved if he ended up as good as a guy like Phillip Rivers. Hopefully Hill can be the answer or Smith can improve though. I'd love to see what Hill can do next year, after his finger heals and he has an offseason of working out getting stronger and stuff, practicing with the 1st string players and hopefully under a real offensive coordinator with a #1 WR. Also need to improve the o-line, regardless of who the QB is.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I may be frustrated with the record but you cannot fault the heart of the 49ers. I have no idea what they're going to do next year without Bryant Young. I did hear them mention that while he's saying this is his last season, it's not cast in stone... And then I see him limp off the field.

...sigh...

And our draft pick goes to New England? Yeah, like they need it...

I may be frustrated with the record but you cannot fault the heart of the 49ers. I have no idea what they're going to do next year without Bryant Young. I did hear them mention that while he's saying this is his last season, it's not cast in stone... And then I see him limp off the field.

...sigh...

And our draft pick goes to New England? Yeah, like they need it...

This is our 5th consecutive losing season, 3rd under Nolan, and I think that's a record but I'm not sure. But man Nowin Nolan is terrible, and the horrible thing is he and Smith and Dilfer will probably be back. Might as well get ready for another losing season next year. I wonder if we'll make the playoffs by 2010?:(

If Nolan returns, he will not be the GM too. An actual GM will be hired. (I'd make Nolan GM and hire a coach that understands down, distance and timeouts)

Dilfer is done.

Look for another QB to be signed to compete w/Hill and Smith.

Hostler is gone.

I vote for Singletary as Head Coach and (at the owner's insistence) a West Coast Offensive Coordinator. I'd keep the Special Teams and Defensive coaches as they are.

Major upgrades needed at wide receiver. Interesting that Darrel Jackson dropped everything thrown until Hill started throwing to him!:cool:

A pass rusher is desperately needed!

Wonder if Nolan keeps his job, they canceled his news conference earlier that he does every Monday and he spoke all day with york today and into the night and they will talk more tomorrow.

A point of concern for me is the probable loss of Mike Singletary. He is going to garner a lot of attention and interviews for vacant head coaching jobs.

I thought the blip about Mike Martz was interesting. I think he would be a great coordinator for us. I don't know why Detroit would let him go, though. Their offense has been potent the last two seasons. If it wasn't for a lack of a running game this year and injuries (again) to their receivers, they would of made a better push for the playoffs. Kitna has a strong arm, and functions well in Martz's system.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly why Detoit wants to get rid of Martz but there is a reason I suppose. One thing that does concern me if we did get Martz is that he'd probably leave after one season, especially if we have a good season. He'd probably get Head Coach offers, which would leave us with another OC after next season.

Singletary is being pursued so we can't do much about that but hopefully he can stay just for the Willis factor alone.

not sure how we can run martz system...we have no wr's, qb's or oline to block for the qb.

depressing day -_-

Mike Singletary will most likely leave...all our best coaches do...Nolan will fail and Mike Singletary succeed I bet...another brilliant move by the Yorks...I wish they would sell!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Another sucky season and another sucky decision by the Yorks. I cannot get enthusiastic about this team any longer. As long as the Yorks are owners, the 49ers go nowhere. <sigh>