2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

I dont understand the outrage over the DDV thing.,.. does anyone here think some other NBA team is going to actually pay him 7MM next season?

So basically people are surprised/mad the Kings arent going to outbid themselves??
Yeah, outrage is a no go, but that's why you pick up his QO though, in case they do, they might be willing to give up something in trade.

Yeah, outrage is a no go, but that's why you pick up his QO though, in case they do, they might be willing to give up something in trade.
But his QO, paying him 7 mil, is probably more than he’ll even get offered on the open market. That’s why he said the kings would be bidding against themselves if they offered it.

They can add role players but they likely aren't going to be the role players we want to add. More than likely will not be at DDV's level.
What is DDVs level exactly? Cause DDV, while average across the board and a good depth piece, is basically a 1st round bust. The outcry that’s happening like we just gave a Klay Thompson level talent his walking papers is wild.

They can add role players but they likely aren't going to be the role players we want to add. More than likely will not be at DDV's level.
That's fine, but the Kings need length, not more combo G's unless the talent upgrade is substantial. Donte might be playing hard ball and asking for a full MLE deal, if so, good luck Donte. I can see a team doing that but for Sac that would be a bad idea.

What is DDVs level exactly? Cause DDV, while average across the board and a good depth piece, is basically a 1st round bust. The outcry that’s happening like we just gave a Klay Thompson level talent his walking papers is wild.
DDV is a starter/high-level 6th man that's already proven to be a valuable asset to a championship team. Impact stats, everything lines up with him being very very good.

He's not someone I would have paid $15mil+/season, but he's a role player that the Kings basically never get access to. $10mil/season should have been a no-brainer.

What do you mean by the lesser MLE? The Bi-annual exception? That's at just a tad over $4M this year. Is that enough to sign DDV?
Yeah the bi annual exception...

The way I look at it is the Kings can offer what many teams cannot with an exception like that, and thats a real role/ chance to showcase their skills for a bigger contract next season and even vie for a starting spot..

same thing goes for the bigger non taxpayer exemption.

As the game of musical chairs goes on and more players are stuck without a spot, that exception will look better and better.. I dont see why teams would be rushing head over heels for DDV's services in this current climate/free agent pool.

when I look at the list of SG's there's names there that i'd be happy with that bi -annual exemption, and in a 'worst case scenario' where the musical chairs game goes wrong n the kings end up without their top priorities -- I personally would roll the dice on Trevelin Queen the reigning G-League MVP , whos 6'6 same age as Donte, avgd 25.3ppg, 6.7rebs, 5.2ast, 3.2 stls in the g-league. He used to be homeless/living in a car at Junior college, to now having collected all the accolades there are to be had in the g-league (finals mvp n all 1st team defense).

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’m going to wait and see what the next move is in regards to DDV.
We still have both Davion and TD at SG and I prefer Davion over DDV…..maybe even TD over DDV but I think Ham said the Kings may be in on a front line starter. Whether that is a Collins/Huerter deal or some other remains to be seen.

Coach Brown may have some influence on Payton and a desire by Payton to join his former coach.

And the other guys who I’d like to see here if we were looking at just solid guys is Bruce Brown. He would be excellent.

DDV is a starter/high-level 6th man that's already proven to be a valuable asset to a championship team. Impact stats, everything lines up with him being very very good.

He's not someone I would have paid $15mil+/season, but he's a role player that the Kings basically never get access to. $10mil/season should have been a no-brainer.
That's true, but what did he do for them in the playoffs the year they won? Might be a reason there as to why the Bucks were willing to sell him off so cheap.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm quoting you because you would probably have the answer. Do the Kings still have his Bird Rights?
Yes, he hasn't changed teams in free agency, so we have his full Bird rights unless we renounce them. But that seems fairly inconsequential if we're not going to sign him to even an MLE-level deal. I mean, we could in principle use the MLE on somebody else and use Bird to sign DDV to $5M or so, that wouldn't fit into the BAE.

I’d agree to an extent of your assessment of DDV. Here’s the thing, Kings are nowhere close to being a competitive team in need of a quality depth combo guard who doesn’t excel anywhere but won’t hurt you either but has some veteran experience to provide stability for 10+ mil a season. Not even close to needing that type of player, that’s a type of player a competing team adds to round out their roster. Not a team who’s been a dumpster fire for decades, lacking talent or even young pieces with some semblance of upside. And to use 10+ mill on the very definition of a “mid” combo guard, to me, is the more foolish move.

Yes unless they renounce them too. He still has a cap hold.
And this is interesting too. When teams look to hang onto a player they don't usually do this. They could always offer a big contract on day 1 but you'll almost certainly be risking it and betting against yourself in the end. The Thunder declined Dorts team option but they still decide his future as a restricted FA apparently so this is probably as a thank you to someone like him. Doing this with a QO player as a thank you is more often done to not be a stumbling block to a player getting a deal elsewhere.

I dont understand the outrage over the DDV thing.,.. does anyone here think some other NBA team is going to actually pay him 7MM next season?

So basically people are surprised/mad the Kings arent going to outbid themselves??
Per Cunningham the QO was $6.6mm - and that’s only 1 year. For reference Justin Holiday was making $6mm last year. 37 year old PJ Tucker making $7mm for the Heat. Rudy Gay making $6mm at the end of Utah’s bench.

$7mm really isn’t that much for a starting caliber player especially a young one with upside

more significantly you can almost be sure he won’t take it since it’s a 1-year deal and he’s likely looking for 3-5 especially with his injury history.

the point of the QO isn’t to get him for that $$$ but to get the rights to match his contract. My guess is the staff saw something with his body and play that makes them think he’s not a good long term investment but it’s still such an odd decision to not even extend the offer sheet

Per Cunningham the QO was $6.6mm - and that’s only 1 year. For reference Justin Holiday was making $6mm last year. 37 year old PJ Tucker making $7mm for the Heat. Rudy Gay making $6mm at the end of Utah’s bench.

$7mm really isn’t that much for a starting caliber player especially a young one with upside

more significantly you can almost be sure he won’t take it since it’s a 1-year deal and he’s likely looking for 3-5 especially with his injury history.

the point of the QO isn’t to get him for that $$$ but to get the rights to match his contract. My guess is the staff saw something with his body and play that makes them think he’s not a good long term investment but it’s still such an odd decision to not even extend the offer sheet
Well and this does give credence now to Ham having sources with Donte and he flat out came out at the end of last year and said no question, Donte's people weren't happy post trade.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And this is interesting too. When teams look to hang onto a player they don't usually do this. They could always offer a big contract on day 1 but you'll almost certainly be risking it and betting against yourself in the end.
I can't imagine that the Kings would decline a $6.6M QO and then turn around and offer a big contract. If they wanted to sign DDV to a big contract they would have tendered the QO to make sure no other team jumped in with a better offer they didn't have an opportunity to match, and then offered the big contract. No, they either think they can get him on the cheap, or they don't want him all that badly.

First round bust? He was picked 17th in a strong draft and has justified his draft position easily.

The outcry isn't that we gave up Klay Thompson. The outcry is over the fact that acquiring DDV level players through free agency is very difficult for this team. Go look through the free agent signings from the last 10 years and you'll be pretty disappointed in what you see. Whether you think DDV is any good or not doesn't change the fact that the Kings rarely sign anyone that is better than DDV.

I can't imagine that the Kings would decline a $6.6M QO and then turn around and offer a big contract. If they wanted to sign DDV to a big contract they would have tendered the QO to make sure no other team jumped in with a better offer they didn't have an opportunity to match, and then offered the big contract. No, they either think they can get him on the cheap, or they don't want him all that badly.
I would hate them to do it, but do they maybe need Donte on a price hike to get up over the cap? Or do the cap holds do that anyway? If they overpaid Donte on a 1 year deal that to me would be way better than any long term guarantees.

I disagree. I dont see the market for him getting paid that much, he hasnt proven to be a starting quality player for a good team. 7mil is a lot, maybe not in the scope of everyones contracts in the NBA, but in the scope of this summers free agency, and the wiggle room the Kings have to work with, i'd argue it is.

The Kings hands are tied! It behooves them to try and do the most they can with the exceptions they have..

DiVicenzo shot 35% from the field last year...... (33% for the bucks and then 36% for the Kings)

the thing is too did he really earn a multi-year deal? I feel like there's scenarios where the Kings could sign a vet on a 1 year deal and that leaves them with options rather than squeezes the cap for next summer rather than locked in on a guy who might not be a great fit.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Yeah exactly. He's up in 2 seasons. And with Thybulle being a RFA next year as well, we'd basically be saying those 2 would be how we spent our 2023 cap space (with Springer).
Yeah, so that wouldn't be a bad trade then. Harris as a stop-gap "win now" player to give us a 3 headed monster of sorts with Fox and Ox while Murray gets up to speed.

Then when his contract is up we have cap for Sabonis!