2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

How often do we bring in players with DDV's talent level in free agency? Almost never. Holmes, 1 year Rondo rental...that's about it.

We're probably going to watch all our wish list free agents go to other teams and wind up with over the hill vets and scraps as usual.
"We feel Nic Batum is a savy veteran presence with a lot of bball IQ/shooting and defense that will really help put us over the top. He's a perfect fit for us"

-Monte in 2 days probably.

How often do we bring in players with DDV's talent level in free agency? Almost never. Holmes, 1 year Rondo rental...that's about it.

We're probably going to watch all our wish list free agents go to other teams and wind up with over the hill vets and scraps as usual.
He's a solid player but this is a career role player that plays solid defense. He's a solid piece and offering him a QO was the smart move, even if they intend to bring him back, but in the end, he's a decent combo G that won't change the direction of any team. If he were the Bucks wouldn't have traded him the way they did.

The clueless talk and freaking out about no extending a QO to a very mid king SG with no real stand out qualities is surprising to be honest haha. DDV is/was never going to be the reason we won any games. He’s a quality, well rounded depth who if paid 7 mil as he would on a QO would have been overpaid for the production he’s put out this far into his career honestly. Not offering a QO but still having interest means we feel like we can take him or lose him, but it’s going to be at a lower number if we do in fact keep him.

The clueless talk and freaking out about no extending a QO to a very mid king SG with no real stand out qualities is surprising to be honest haha. DDV is/was never going to be the reason we won any games. He’s a quality, well rounded depth who if paid 7 mil as he would on a QO would have been overpaid for the production he’s put out this far into his career honestly. Not offering a QO but still having interest means we feel like we can take him or lose him, but it’s going to be at a lower number if we do in fact keep him.
I dont see why they couldnt still get him with the lesser MLE if they wanted too... There's not gonna be some huge market for DDV in free agency

Ham actually got a scoop on Woj. He knows someone tied to the DDV camp for sure.

So ****ing dumb, I hate it. He's the exact kind of role player the Kings have been allergic to and a big reason they've remained bad.
I was thrilled with the Murray selection, and I cared little about the Kings trading out of the second round, especially if they're able to bring over Vezenkov, so I thought draft day was quite successful. But this is just a head-scratcher of epic proportions for me. I do not get it at all. I think a fully-recovered DDV is perfect either starting next to Fox or as a utility combo guard off the bench. I don't know why Monte didn't extend the QO. It seemed like such a no-brainer. Maddening, this one is. :mad:

I dont see why they couldnt still get him with the lesser MLE if they wanted too... There's not gonna be some huge market for DDV in free agency
The thing about Donte is if he was unhappy here and the Kings bring him back at half the value he wanted that's not a good thing. They already have a potentially unhappy Holmes waiting in the wings. I would expect him to go to a team that he feels will give him a chance on a prove it deal so he can bust out next year if that's all it took.

"We feel Nic Batum is a savy veteran presence with a lot of bball IQ/shooting and defense that will really help put us over the top. He's a perfect fit for us"

-Monte in 2 days probably.
I'd be surprised if we get anyone at Batum's level lol

He's a solid player but this is a career role player that plays solid defense. He's a solid piece and offering him a QO was the smart move, even if they intend to bring him back, but in the end, he's a decent combo G that won't change the direction of any team. If he were the Bucks wouldn't have traded him the way they did.
Plays solid defense, can hit the 3 ball and is an above average passer. All things the Kings either need or don't have enough of. When was the last time we signed a guy that does those sort of things and he actually joined the team and did those things?

I think we are over exaggerating Sacramento's ability to attract free agents. Free agents like DDV almost never sign with us so you don't just give up your chance to keep them for nothing. In the end, other free agents will just use Sac to prop their value up and then sign with another team and leave us winding up with Ty Jerome/Tony Snell level free agents. It's exactly why we're trotting out guys like Metu, Jones and a past his prime Harkless. More talented free agents can just sign elsewhere and not wind up in basketball hell.

Between this and the second rounders plus whatever happens with Ivey, this feels like the summer the fan base starts to legitimately question Monte

hope this works out but not even extending a QO is malpractice. You only do that if you’re done with the player completely and have no intention of trying to keep him

Between this and the second rounders plus whatever happens with Ivey, this feels like the summer the fan base starts to legitimately question Monte

hope this works out but not even extending a QO is malpractice. You only do that if you’re done with the player completely and have no intention of trying to keep him
He's been hitting at a "C" average for a long time. Monte is pulling a full Bonds Era Brian Sabean: draft the high floor pick at #4, punt draft picks for the budget, fail to extend a QO to a young player for the budget...in order to get his version of Michael Tucker. Come on down Tobias Harris.

I'd be surprised if we get anyone at Batum's level lol

Plays solid defense, can hit the 3 ball and is an above average passer. All things the Kings either need or don't have enough of. When was the last time we signed a guy that does those sort of things and he actually joined the team and did those things?

I think we are over exaggerating Sacramento's ability to attract free agents. Free agents like DDV almost never sign with us so you don't just give up your chance to keep them for nothing. In the end, other free agents will just use Sac to prop their value up and then sign with another team and leave us winding up with Ty Jerome/Tony Snell level free agents. It's exactly why we're trotting out guys like Metu, Jones and a past his prime Harkless. More talented free agents can just sign elsewhere and not wind up in basketball hell.
Sacramento can add role players and hopefully, when they do, they add one that can legit play SF too. Donte is a PG/SG. I see him as more Davion than that other guy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
What do you mean by the lesser MLE? The Bi-annual exception? That's at just a tad over $4M this year. Is that enough to sign DDV?