2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

Full midget? Malik Monk is undersized, but Huerter and Murray have considerable length at their positions. Unless I'm missing something, those are the Kings acquisitions thus far this offseason. I have no problem with characerizing these acquisitions as counter to a prioritizing of defense, but "full midget" is a gross exaggeration.
Have you seen Huerter’s perimeter defense? It ain’t pretty.

I can’t wait for the Cali Classic n SL to start, so people will stop projecting Murray as someone who can play and defend the 3 spot. Dude is a 4, who‘s ceiling is entirely contingent upon his ability to defend the 5. The only threes he’ll be able to defend are the Tobias Harris types.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I can’t wait for the Cali Classic n SL to start, so people will stop projecting Murray as someone who can play and defend the 3 spot. Dude is a 4, who‘s ceiling is entirely contingent upon his ability to defend the 5. The only threes he’ll be able to defend are the Tobias Harris types.
Man, I really hope we’re deada** wrong about Keegan, but I still just don’t get it.

This is your whole schtick, isn't it? Adopt a condescending tone, make outlandish claims, then present strawmen when challenged. I already conceded that the Kings' offseason moves were not conducive to improving the team's defense. And I made no mention whatsoever of Murray playing the 3. I believe he's a 4/3 flex, who can swing down when matchups are favorable. But in the modern NBA, he still has length at the 4, just as Huerter has length at the 2. Thus, I took issue with your ridiculous assertion that the Kings had gone "full midget," when they clearly haven't.

Fox
Huerter
Barnes
Murray
Sabonis

Barring further offseason moves, that's a very likely starting unit with plenty of length. Defensively-challenged? Sure. But hardly "full midget."

This is your whole schtick, isn't it? Adopt a condescending tone, make outlandish claims, then present strawmen when challenged. I already conceded that the Kings' offseason moves were not conducive to improving the team's defense. And I made no mention whatsoever of Murray playing the 3. I believe he's a 4/3 flex, who can swing down when matchups are favorable. But in the modern NBA, he still has length at the 4, just as Huerter has length at the 2. Thus, I took issue with your ridiculous assertion that the Kings had gone "full midget," when they clearly haven't.

Fox
Huerter
Barnes
Murray
Sabonis

Barring further offseason moves, that's a very likely starting unit with plenty of length. Defensively-challenged? Sure. But hardly "full midget."
Haha every fan base has their people like him. There’s no convincing him of anything or speaking logically with rationale.

Fox
Huerter
Barnes
Murray
Sabonis

If you’re conceding that Murray is a 4, who can only defend the three occasionally, why do you count him as a perimeter defender when my contention is they went full midget on the perimeter.

If you’re conceding that Murray is a 4, who can only defend the three occasionally, why do you count him as a perimeter defender when my contention is they went full midget on the perimeter.
Cause this isn’t the 90’s or early 2000’s haha. 4’s can play, and often do, from the perimeter. You’re entire argument of us going full midget when only one player gained replacing one lost is actually shorter, yet has just as much length, is quite a stance to take.

Man, I really hope we’re deada** wrong about Keegan, but I still just don’t get it.
I think he’s going to be good. I like the base on his shot. Especially how he moves off the ball n squares up for his shot. It’s balanced n reminds me of Klay. What I don’t get is the on the ball creation n on the ball scoring stuff. And how he’ll be able to defend threes. High floor. Maybe high ceiling if he can defend the five.

Cause this isn’t the 90’s or early 2000’s haha. 4’s can play, and often do, from the perimeter. You’re entire argument of us going full midget when only one player gained replacing one lost is actually shorter, yet has just as much length, is quite a stance to take.
There’s a difference between can play and can play well. And you’re kinda bad at math. Harkless, Holiday, DDV vs. Monk, Huerter, and Murray.

I don't count Murray as a perimeter defender. That's my point. Your contention is ridiculous because it only applies to one among the Kings' offseason acquisitions, and I don't think adding a single undersized SG who may very well be a microwave scoring sixth man constitutes going "full midget." The Kings' rotation will feature plenty of length. They're certainly not the Raptors, who are trying to construct an entire roster of guys who are 6'8". But nor are they strictly a small ball squad.

There’s a difference between can play and can play well. And you’re kinda bad at math. Harkless, Holiday, DDV vs. Monk, Huerter, and Murray.
Only one is shorter than the man he’s replacing hahaha. It’s one thing to be a buzz kill, but at least do a little homework. And how about we give the rookie a little longer than two weeks into his NBA career before we write him off completely from being able to do something haha. And as I said earlier, Monk has longer length than DDV anyhow. Good lord man.

I don't count Murray as a perimeter defender. That's my point. Your contention is ridiculous because it only applies to one among the Kings' offseason acquisitions, and I don't think adding a single undersized SG who may very well be a microwave scoring sixth man constitutes going "full midget." The Kings' rotation will feature plenty of length. They're certainly not the Raptors, who are trying to construct an entire roster of guys who are 6'8". But nor are they strictly a small ball squad.
That's true but they are a squad that will likely have to count 5 of their top players as G's with TD and Huerter being your slide to the 3 guys. The balance isn't perfect but not horrible if they finally do decide to run those guard lineups. Then it comes down to whether it works or not because when you have some level of imbalance and it doesn't work, we of all fans know the look of it right off the bat, haha.

What length? Fox and TD are 6’3. Monk is 6’4 maybe. Davion is maybe 6’1. Huerter is maybe 6’7. That’s 1 good, but undersized defender. One legit sized, but bad defender. And three undersized, but bad defenders. Huerter is essentially the same size as Holiday, but a much worse defender. Monk is maybe the same height as DDV, but less stout, and significantly worse defender.

At the 3 spot, you have Barnes. That’s it. Last year, it was Barnes and Harkless.

Shrinking on the perimeter when the issue was a lack of length last season is just repeating the same, dumb mistake.

Some of these elite guys are sooooooo hard to like, as in they just aren’t likeable and they do nothing to help themselves.

KD is a turd, Kyrie is just weird, Ben Simmons is soft, etc, etc

Giannis on the other hand seems genuinely appreciative of where he’s at and his status.
yeah this current crop of NBA players are difficult to root for. There are a few legit guys still that are authentic such as Dame time, Russ, Jimmy.

Only one is shorter than the man he’s replacing hahaha. It’s one thing to be a buzz kill, but at least do a little homework. And how about we give the rookie a little longer than two weeks into his NBA career before we write him off completely from being able to do something haha. And as I said earlier, Monk has longer length than DDV anyhow. Good lord man.
And on the flipside, I hope they aren't going to put this Bagley level "You can be like Giannis and do everything at any spot" stuff on a rookie. He does things quite well, let him do them. If he can play as a true wing, great, if he can't, don't force him because you have a missing component and needs. Otherwise get ready for the value to sink. It's hard not to see the Kings taking a square peg and attempt to force it into a round hole. It's almost a legacy at this point. lol. Between he and Barnes I think there's enough skill and size for it to work out.

That's true but they are a squad that will likely have to count 5 of their top players as G's with TD and Huerter being your slide to the 3 guys. The balance isn't perfect but not horrible if they finally do decide to run those guard lineups. Then it comes down to whether it works or not because when you have some level of imbalance and it doesn't work, we of all fans know the look of it right off the bat, haha.
All of that is a non issue, if there is an eraser anchoring the defense. Maybe Queta turns into Gobert overnight. Doubtful.

What length? Fox and TD are 6’3. Monk is 6’4 maybe. Davion is maybe 6’1. Huerter is maybe 6’7. That’s 1 good, but undersized defender. One legit sized, but bad defender. And three undersized, but bad defenders. Huerter is essentially the same size as Holiday, but a much worse defender. Monk is maybe the same height as DDV, but less stout, and significantly worse defender.

At the 3 spot, you have Barnes. That’s it. Last year, it was Barnes and Harkless.

Shrinking on the perimeter when the issue was a lack of length last season is just repeating the same, dumb mistake.
I don't think I'm as concerned about their height as I am about the bulk and known defensive abilities. Of course, a good defense is a great offense these days.

All of that is a non issue, if there is an eraser anchoring the defense. Maybe Queta turns into Gobert overnight. Doubtful.
It will be interesting to see what Brown does. I'm hoping he lets the bigs play up and aggresive rather than continuing to play drop on pick and roll. Gobert types are for sure going to be better doing than than Domas but we watched Gobert get swatted like a fly right out of the playoffs by PG13 playing C a season or two back. Shotblocking is nice but defense is played with the feet now. Combine that with length and versatility and you're going to be pretty good on that end in the playoffs. It eventually comes down to 3 point arsenals though. We saw that full on this playoff run.

It will be interesting to see what Brown does. I'm hoping he lets the bigs play up and aggresive rather than continuing to play drop on pick and roll. Gobert types are for sure going to be better doing than than Domas but we watched Gobert get swatted like a fly right out of the playoffs by PG13 playing C a season or two back. Shotblocking is nice but defense is played with the feet now. Combine that with length and versatility and you're going to be pretty good on that end in the playoffs. It eventually comes down to 3 point arsenals though. We saw that full on this playoff run.
Kings neither have length, versatility, nor enough good feet. And the player with the best feet, he plays defense 5% of the time.

Literally everything I have read about Huerter today (other than this board) calls him an average defender with high BBIQ. I am not sure where the narrative that he is a turnstile comes from, because the people who actually watched him day in and day out say he is competent defensively, tries hard, understands team defense, doesn’t get routinely beat, and is generally not the weak link on the floor. A stopper he is not, but competent and average probably makes him one of our best 5 defenders.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The thing about Mike Brown is that he loves playing zone (and this season, he's really started learning into the Box-and-1). In man, he'll probably use more hedges and switches than Luke did but I don't know how much man we'll actually play.

Alternate facts are very prevalent these days.

These people are supposed to be more knowledgeable, but even if that is too debatable (Though they are paid to do the job, I digress), they are at least much more educated with their experience combined with direct first-hand information on the subject.

But who cares about that? I saw what I saw. ;)

Literally everything I have read about Huerter today (other than this board) calls him an average defender with high BBIQ. I am not sure where the narrative that he is a turnstile comes from, because the people who actually watched him day in and day out say he is competent defensively, tries hard, understands team defense, doesn’t get routinely beat, and is generally not the weak link on the floor. A stopper he is not, but competent and average probably makes him one of our best 5 defenders.
That’s cause he is an average defender who’s a very smart player.