SI: Kings trying to ship out Bibby before trade deadline

Actually, it just dawned on me (I'm slow) that Gooden may not even be the part that matters.

From the trade scenarios rumored, it does seem like the Kings are finally going to rebuild mode, instead of patch jobs, by going after enders and a pick. If so, then that is the good news to me.

How can Petrie do his job:mad: when he gets handicapped by ownership. I would not be surprised if Petire calls it quits soon if this keeps continuing. If the Maloofs are impacting his job he might leave because this is his reputation on the line.
LA supposedly wouldn't consider trading Bryant, Odom or Bynum under any circumstances, just wanted someone to take their role players... so I don't think it's any big loss. We can live without Luke Walton.

Still, I have to agree... I've spent the last year or more wondering how long it will be until Petrie quits.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
How can Petrie do his job:mad: when he gets handicapped by ownership. I would not be surprised if Petire calls it quits soon if this keeps continuing. If the Maloofs are impacting his job he might leave because this is his reputation on the line.

I agree in principle, but in this particualr instance mayeb the Maloofs were right. There would have been considerable outcry from the fanbase too when Kobe and Lamar and Mike came to town and slapped us around. I dunno, I think the Lakers shoudl be considered fair game in a trade, but mayeb its jsut the rumors of what we've gottten back. Trading with L.A. where either we get the major player or we swap major players...ok now I guess. But trading away a major player TO them, for a package of uncertainty, and having that major player being a guy at the core of the great rivalry of years past...don't like them running around nixing ****, but don't like that Geoff was going there in the first place.

Is this bye bye, Bibby?

The trade deadline is today, and the Kings still are shopping their point guard

By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer

Published 12:00 am PST Thursday, February 22, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1
Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)
Geoff Petrie was discussing the past, when the absence of cell phones meant the days before the NBA's trading deadline were spent holed up in an old-fashioned office by an old-fashioned phone.
Unless, of course, his team wasn't involved in any serious talks, in which case an appearance at the headquarters wasn't always necessary.
"Sometimes there are certain years when you just know that you don't have anything going on and you're not going to get anything going on of substance," the Kings' basketball president said.

This, however, is not one of those years. Speaking from his office late Wednesday afternoon, Petrie said there had been plenty of chatter but no deals intriguing enough to sign off on as yet.
With the trading deadline at noon PST today, the Kings have been actively trying to exchange point guard Mike Bibby for the right building pieces, and Cleveland continues to appear the most likely option. The Cavaliers have been aggressively trying to acquire Bibby in what they see as a vital piece toward a title run. Trades have been discussed involving three or more teams, though a Kings official said none of the talks had reached the point where deals were being turned down.
And should Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry wake up this morning willing to offer the Kings the right mix of youth, draft picks and/or expiring contracts they want, an 11th-hour deal might be made. (Ferry and Bibby share the same agent, David Falk.) A trade is unlikely, however, without involving another team.
"I've talked to Cleveland, (but) it's just conversation," Petrie said from his office before he left at approximately 5 p.m. "In general, it's not right now realistic that there's some sort of magic bullet out there for us, I think, in terms of some immediacy. I think if we do anything, it would be more geared toward the future and some combination of things that give us some flexibility potentially and hopefully some talent, too. It still remains to be seen. Right now, there's nothing of any substance to really talk about."
Yet even if the deadline comes and goes without a deal, recent days have revealed what is a deliberate plan on the part of Kings management. In essence, it is the decision to build for the long term rather than hold out for short-term hopes.
"It comes down to what makes sense to you and is part of some general plan going forward from where you are what you're trying to do," Petrie said. "If things come along now that fit into that, then we'd be inclined to do them. If we don't, then we won't. We'll wait for the opportunity that does."
It is the very sort of leverage that might pay off today. The mainstay in the Kings-Cavaliers discussions has been Drew Gooden, the forward who has two seasons and $13.5 million left on his contract. That's less than half of Bibby's deal (two seasons, $28 million), leaving plenty of room for discussion of how to fill the gap.
Acquiring point guard Eric Snow would work financially, but his age (33) and contract (two years remaining, $14 million) are not the direction the Kings would like to go. The expiring contract of former Kings center Scot Pollard ($2.2 million), according to sources unauthorized to talk, was discussed as, essentially, an aid to the numbers cause.
And, as Petrie noted, there is more to be discussed than Bibby. A source said Monday that Chicago was interested in Kings forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, but Petrie said, "We have nothing going with Chicago."
"I know there's a certain amount of buzz out there about Mike, but it still doesn't preclude the possibility that someone else could get traded at some point, too," Petrie said. "If we don't do anything, we're going to go forward with the guys we have, continue to evaluate that and gear up for what you can do at the draft and in July."
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/127311.html

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
"In general, it's not right now realistic that there's some sort of magic bullet out there for us, I think, in terms of some immediacy. I think if we do anything, it would be more geared toward the future and some combination of things that give us some flexibility potentially and hopefully some talent, too."

Sounds like Geoff may finally be getting it.

I agree in principle, but in this particualr instance mayeb the Maloofs were right. There would have been considerable outcry from the fanbase too when Kobe and Lamar and Mike came to town and slapped us around. I dunno, I think the Lakers shoudl be considered fair game in a trade, but mayeb its jsut the rumors of what we've gottten back. Trading with L.A. where either we get the major player or we swap major players...ok now I guess. But trading away a major player TO them, for a package of uncertainty, and having that major player being a guy at the core of the great rivalry of years past...don't like them running around nixing ****, but don't like that Geoff was going there in the first place.
Someone (Director of Media Relations, maybe?) called into KHTK yesterday afternoon to set the record straight that the Laker deal was nixed only because the offer sucked. Which, of course, could be a big ol' load of hooey, but...

Phew, in any case. I don't share the fervent Laker hate than a lot of Kings fans do, and I certainly don't think that any and all dealings with them should be avoided just because of the rivalry, but Bibby in Laker yellow is something that I just wouldn't want to see. Especially not thoroughly kicking our asses with Kobe and Lamar by his side. Nein danke.

If Bibby is traded , the days of Divac,Cwebb,Peja,Doug,Bibby is over. I can't believe that a team which had so much success in the past probably won't have one starting player in matter of years. I really can't of a team that lost all their original 12 players except of Miller .

piksi

Hall of Famer
If Bibby is traded , the days of Divac,Cwebb,Peja,Doug,Bibby is over. I can't believe that a team which had so much success in the past probably won't have one starting player in matter of years. I really can't of a team that lost all their original 12 players except of Miller .
days were over when Vlade was let go

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Gooden is only marginally better, and bigger, than KT. He;s 6'8", turned into a strong reboudner, makes a lot of mental mistakes, can;t block a shot etc.

And the problem is that Cleveland doesn't have their #1 this year. Forgot who's got it, but its not them. So makes things tough. I would still want Varejao, but in a multiple team deal, a pick from soembody would not hurt.

As a slight aside, the Hornets are now rumored to be looking for a possible deal Note that they have a couple of nice enders in Desmond Mason and Marc Jackson, a couple of rookie bigs (who have sucked so far, but are young) and their pick.
Thanks for the info on the #1. In the Cleveland game, Gooden looked significantly better than either SAR or Thomas to me. In fact, I thought he was as much to "blame" for their win as James. He dominated on the boards. As for mental mistakes, my gawd, Thomas has got to lead the league in that, by far. But I haven't seen a ton of Cleveland games, so Gooden't performance might have been the exception to the rule. After all, the Kings have made a lot of players look like All Stars lately. I'm with you though, if we got Varejao I would be ECSTATIC!

And regarding the Hornets thread, I'm all for rookie bigs who are young, raw, and athletic. Roll the dice, baby!

I am trying to make sense of this trade between the Kings and the Cavs. One question comes to mind.

Why would we want Gooden? I understand he would have to be involved to make it work but why would the Kings want him? He has 3 years and over $20 million left on his contract. Also, he is just another underachieving PF that we'd be adding to the roster.

the lastest from realcavsfans.com, Cavs GM Danny Ferry on a local show this morning:

"I would be surprised if we make a deal by the end of the day."

"We have talked about Mike Bibby, but, at this point, it'd be a big surprise if anything were to happen there."

"The deals that have been proposed have not made sense of us."

"I have not spoken to Scottie Pippen"

"On offense, we need to attack the basket more, this should not be a jump shooting team"

"Who knows what happens today? But I think at this point we're ready to make a decision on a trade, but we're willing to go forward with what we have right now."
doesn't sound promising

For some reason I've never really felt like a trade was going to happen before the deadline. I have a feeling that this is the team we are going to have till we hit TDOS.

I'll admit, though, that I've been wrong before, so I guess we just need to wait till the end of the day and see. Did someone say that the deadline is 3:00??

If there is a trade and it's Mike Bibby I will have mixed feelings. If we get younger talent with a clear step towards the future I will accept that it's the direction we need to go. I would, however, be sad to see Bibby go in the sense that it's the final piece of the team I REALLY loved. Don't get me wrong, I love the Kings. I honestly do. But back in the days of Vlade, Webb, Christie, Mike, Peja, & Bobby I loved not only the team but each of the players.

Obviously those days have been gone for quite some time. Whether you believe the good times ended when Webb was injured, when Vlade left, when Webb or Peja was traded, or at some other specific point in time, I know we all agree those days are long gone. But, at the same time, Bibby is the one piece that still provides us a link to those glory days, and for that reason it will be very emotional for me when he leaves.

From Chad Ford's chat:

Dayton, Ohio: Chad, are the Cavs going to get the Bibby deal done???

Chad Ford: (12:09 PM ET ) I just don't think they have the assets unless they can find a taker for either Larry Hughes or Zydrunas Ilgauskas. The Cavs don't have many assets or expiring contracts. For the Cavs to pull off a deal with the Kings, they'd have to include like five players to get one. Look for the Cavs to perhaps make a smaller deal for a point guard using Drew Gooden as the bait.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=14718

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/nba/blog/
The latest on Mike Bibby: The deal with Cleveland was hitting a snag this morning, said a person involved in the situation. The reason? Bruised egos over the leaking of the proposal that would've freed Bibby from Sacramento. That's only one of the many reasons why it's so hard to get trades done at the deadline. A few years ago, Miami's Pat Riley pulled the plug on a trade for Jamal Mashburn because he was so miffed that his secret discussions got out.

Correction, FERRY's got to get a deal done...he's going balls to walls out for Bibby and is hellbent on acquiring him, especially now with Wade out for the stretch run.
Exactly, the heat is on Ferry, not GP. The Cavs want to win right now. Kings are looking at the long term, which we can do just as well in the off-season, if there isn't a good offer now.

EDIT: I'm very sure Geoff can't be happy about the leak. I can almost guarantee it didn't come from him.