Zach Lowe dumps on Kings - in other news, water is wet

ive mentioned this before, but there is no way Hill was brought in to win now and go to the playoffs. i think they overpaid him on purpose to acquire him so that they would have something of value to trade eventually. in the meantime, they figured he would be a good mentor to Fox. now, they might have overestimated what they could eventually get for him (second rounder as it stands now), and also the impact he would have on Fox’s development and those two things were the mistake here, but I do not think they brought him in to win now. thats why his contract was only guaranteed for 2 years.
"to acquire him so they would have something of value to trade eventually... Shumpert, who coincidentally didn't play a minute after the Kings traded for him and is owed 11 million. This was a mistake period. Should I go on... how about signing Matt Barnes to a 2 year deal-one of those character guys. They are grasping at straws and Vlade is the one who takes the heat. Get a Jerry West, Danny Ferry, or a Sam Hinke with a game plan.

Lowe is spot on. Nothing else to say about it. Until the Kings show some semblance of being a competent organization, the beatings will continue.

We better Hope Bagley, Fox, and Giles are the next big 3. If not. Rinse and Repeat. At that point; Joerger,Vlade gone. Vivek sell the team.

Lowe is spot on. Nothing else to say about it. Until the Kings show some semblance of being a competent organization, the beatings will continue.

We better Hope Bagley, Fox, and Giles are the next big 3. If not. Rinse and Repeat. At that point; Joerger,Vlade gone. Vivek sell the team.
Giles...Has anybody seen him actually play. Can he stay healthy? What I do know, after watching him in person, he has hitch in that stroke. btw Same with Willie. Watch them up close. Just saying. No Klay Thompson here. Kevin Martin anybody?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Giles...Has anybody seen him actually play. Can he stay healthy? What I do know, after watching him in person, he has hitch in that stroke. btw Same with Willie. Watch them up close. Just saying. No Klay Thompson here. Kevin Martin anybody?
I'm pretty sure that nobody around here who is excited about adding Giles to the rotation next year anticipated that Giles' value would come in being a three-point sharpshooter.

16 of 30 teams make the playoffs. Instead of going with an experienced GM, we went with a rookie. We had 27 wins last year. We had virtually no injuries. The number 2 in the draft might very well become a good player/an all-star or not. However, history has shown us that he will not be much help next year.

And when we have 35 or so of quasi wins (playing against team that have an inducement to tank), we will be able to watch Boston operate with our only first round pick next year that went along with the aforementioned pick swap when Vlade fleeced Philly.
How many times will this be repeated before next Junes draft? I think it will be written about more than Willie's perceived shortcomings and replace tanking for those choosing the half empty glass route:) As for me I'm going to enjoy the Young Fellas and every one of those 35 or so wins:D

dude12

Hall of Famer
How many times will this be repeated before next Junes draft? I think it will be written about more than Willie's perceived shortcomings and replace tanking for those choosing the half empty glass route:) As for me I'm going to enjoy the Young Fellas and every one of those 35 or so wins:D
No kidding. Rest assured it will be something because the sky is always falling in that world.

I've seen a couple of people who for whatever reason, infer that Giles can shoot...
My expectation is that Giles can and will do it all. He’ll rebound and block shots like a beast. He’ll splash down jumpers from near and far. He’ll setup his teammates like John Stockton and finish like Karl Malone. He’ll inspire his teammates to be great. And he’ll become everyone’s favorite, making Doncic a distant memory.

My expectation is that Giles can and will do it all. He’ll rebound and block shots like a beast. He’ll splash down jumpers from near and far. He’ll setup his teammates like John Stockton and finish like Karl Malone. He’ll inspire his teammates to be great. And he’ll become everyone’s favorite, making Doncic a distant memory.
haha very optimistic. Personally, I think if he does very well in SL, we'll see him play 20mins out of the gate, but if he struggles a lot in SL, then the Kings will bring him in slowly and make up an excuse not to play him.

haha very optimistic. Personally, I think if he does very well in SL, we'll see him play 20mins out of the gate, but if he struggles a lot in SL, then the Kings will bring him in slowly and make up an excuse not to play him.
His clips show him being able to shoot off the dribble and he even nails some step back 3s. His form doesn't look bad doing it either but of course he could go 1 for 10 and the clip just shows the one made shot. The few Kings practice clips of him have him practicing long distance 2s and 3s and while his shot isn't as accurate as Skal's or even WCS's from the clips, he at least looks to be capable of possibly shooting at some point in the future. He's much more fluid than Skal or WCS so he's got a chance there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK, but let's AT LEAST look at the per-40 stats before getting too crazy here:

Points per-40
Bagley: 24.9
Cousins: 25.8

Rebounds per-40
Bagley: 13.1
Cousins: 16.8

Assists per-40
Bagley: 1.8
Cousins: 1.7

And I'd keep in mind that Bagley's amazing FG% is propped up by the fact that he got a ridiculous number of lobs and putbacks - you can find like 10-minute videos that are nothing but dunks at Duke - which aren't likely to be quite as available against NBA defenses.

I like Bagley. I think Bagley can be a great player and maybe even a franchise player if we are lucky. But there's a cart and there's a horse and there's an order they're supposed to go in or else it doesn't work.

I dont buy it. As Cousins gets more playing time he becomes less efficient due to being tired. Bagley however never seems to tire and maintains that high efficiency. And I dont think it is fair to coincide that with his high fg% just because he is as much of a beast near the rim. Cuz did play with Wall who is one helluva point man dropping dimes. That's like to say that Bagley would have been a better fit next to Wall than Cuz because Bagley can finish better.

Bagley shot 39% at Duke on 1.8 attempts per game. Not a lot of attempts but it's a good start for young guy. His foundation looks good in that area and with his drive/work ethic I think there's a good chance that his 3 pt. game continues to improve.
I also wanted to bring up his high school shooting stats and compare them side by side:

High School: 0.5 3PM / 1.7 3PA / .286 3PT % / 3.9 FTM / 5.8 FTA / .675 FT%
College-Duke: 0.7 3PM / 1.8 3PA / .397 3PT% / 4.0 FTM / 6.3 FTA / .627 FT%
Both (HS-Duke): 0.6 3PM / 1.7 3PA / .346 3PT% / 4.0 FTM / 6.1 FTA / .648 FT%

That's quite the jump in 3PT% when the line is further back in college. What is the outlier? It's such a small sample size with these one and dones, I think their shooting form plays a much bigger role in a scouts decision. On Bogdanovic's first 57 3PAs (Bagley shot 58 at Duke) as a pro, he shot 33%. It's hard to judge solely by 3PT%.

I will say that I really like his form, and that his jumper looks very smooth. Knowing his work ethic, drive, and thirst to get better, I can see him becoming a 38%-42% 3pt shooter in this league. It might not be at a high volume where he is taking contested or step back threes, but I think he can become a very good shooter when it's all said and done.