Zach Lowe dumps on Kings - in other news, water is wet

"Wait and see" still worked for me after the preposterously lopsided Stauskas deal. It worked for me after the bizarre way the George Karl ordeal played out. It barely worked for me after Matt Barnes was signed to a multi-year deal as a veteran presence. I thought I was done for sure after Vlade tried to tell me that DeMarcus was the problem and then openly admitted that he panicked and took a bad deal because he felt he had no other choice. Lucking into De'Aaron Fox bought them some time. Then we got months of George Hill being bad-mouthed in the press (and among the fans) for not living up to his $20 million a year contract and a salary dump trade which brought back nothing of substance for the prize free agency signing of last summer. I'm not capable of following this train-wreck any longer. Some of my all-time favorite players were treated like garbage by this organization under Vlade's watch and yes I hold him responsible for that. Comes with the territory. The exasperation has nearly murdered my love of basketball.

Do I know that Bagley is not a franchise player? No. Nobody has a crystal ball. But I'm pretty close to sure. If comparing notes with other teams makes you feel better I suppose that's relatively harmless. But then Ben McLemore was seen by a lot of people as the most talented player in his draft. Thomas Robinson was widely viewed as a sure-thing top 3 pick before his draft as was Jahlil Okafor. Consensus about most draft prospects is group-think. It's why things like Hasheem Thabeet second overall happen and why guys nobody has heard of (with names no one can pronounce) like Antetekuonmpo go much later than they should. I watched more tape this year than any other I can remember because we've never had a pick as high as #2 in the time I've been a Kings fan. I refused to accept that our current GM spends less time evaluating prospects than I do but the evidence seems clear on that now. At the start of the year before I'd seen him play a game in college I had Bagley #2 on my big board right after Ayton and the more I watched him the more he slipped to the point where I had him at #10 on draft day which is, coincidentally, also where I had Cauley-Stein in 2015. I knew Cauley-Stein was a mistake -- yet people here tried to tell me he was some kind of defensive savant. Whether Doncic is as good as I believe he will be doesn't really matter. There were several directions we could have gone with that pick and taking Bagley is one of the picks that convinces me once and for all that Vlade is terrible at judging talent. Nobody knew what he was thinking with Papagiannis and Richardson and both of them have been cut already so it's not like he has a stellar track record of going against the grain either. Bagley is a trap pick -- he's got flashy numbers and he can jump but can he actually play basketball? At an NBA level, sure. Because I expect him to get better. But at a superstar level? The eye test says no. He's got too far to go to get there.

Vlade Divac isn't a mediocre GM or even a poor one, he's bottom of the barrel history-making bad. He's in a class now with David Kahn, Isiah Thomas, and Billy King. And look, this does nothing to tarnish his legacy as a player. Michael Jordan has a terrible resume as a lead executive too. It happens. You just grit your teeth and move on. The only reason I felt a need to respond to this topic is that I feel bad so many good fans haven't recognized yet that this ship is sinking. The sooner Vlade is shown the door the better. I can tell you how this is going to play out over the summer. Our first round pick is gone next year which means every scrap of available cap space is going to be burned in pursuit of "win-now" veterans. Vlade has done this every summer since he got the job so that part isn't new. But we're facing a roster crunch already with 8 rookie contracts still on the books plus Bogdanovic. At the end of next season a decision has to be made on Cauley-Stein's future. Then the year after that it will be Buddy, Frank, and Skal. These players are going to start getting expensive fast and that's when those win-now veteran contracts really hurt. Just ask any Washington Wizards fan.

Hope is fine so long as it's tied to something genuine. False hope isn't helping anyone, just prolonging the misery. I don't want you to think that just because everyone who has problems with this front office has been driven away that there are no contrary opinions. I used to think guys like Zach Lowe and Adrian Wojnarowski were just misinformed about the details of what's happening in some tiny small-market franchise the rest of the nation generally ignores except when it makes for a good headline. The cloud has lifted though and it's become crystal clear that they were right all along. Our team has been hijacked. This is exactly what I told myself I wouldn't do -- monologue-ing a long list of grievances. This has already gone far too long. Both my post and the kicking down the road of the future of the Kings... just wait until next year. One more draft pick, one more free agent signing. It's coming just around the corner, have faith! I'm sorry to say this because I love this team but it's not. We have a mediocre coach, a mediocre roster, few assets with which to build, and a horrendously bad GM who has done nothing but squander opportunities since he was promoted. I feel bad for the kids on the team who, through no fault of their own, are going to become targets for the fans (just like George Hill was) once people start to do the mental calculus of squaring their unrealistic expectations with reality. I am but one voice of many so don't take my word for it. Just look around and see if anything I'm saying makes sense. I'm sticking around here only because I consider the good folks on this forum to be my friends. I'm not going to hammer you over the head with negativity. This is it, I got it all out in one fell swoop. I'm merely trying to stage some kind of intervention here in this one topic because the way this team has treated its fans is not acceptable and all the apologizing for blatant mis-management is preventing you from seeing what has become obvious to 99.9% of the world.

So that's it. I'm done talking Kings basketball. I'll try to find other things to talk about every now and then. I wish you good luck. I'll probably be back but only after Vlade is gone. Fortunately I don't think it will take that long. This is a notoriously fickle business that demands results after all.
Your continued love for George Hill amuses me. You were all on fans for dumping on Hill despite admittedly not watching many games. And it's not as if he went on to star for the Cavs. The guy just flat out underperformed vs any reasonable expectations for his contract.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on Vlade.. George Hill's performance and dumping him is not one of them. If anything, it's giving him that contract.

I was listening to the Ringers' post draft podcast (all of them had Doncic #1 on their boards) and they said that a lot of teams had Doncic around 6 or 7 on their boards. This leads me to believe that the Kings weren't the only team to think Doncic wasn't as good as a lot of the draft sites.
This is fairly apparent, in retrospect. I know Atlanta wanted Young, but it’s not hard to beat the deal they got from the Mavs. All the BS about Boston loving Doncic before the draft...clearly untrue. Brown and the Memphis pick gets them Doncic, easy. Two expendable pieces, if they really love Doncic, and they kept their powder dry.

Look, us armchair GMs can watch the film and to every NBA aficianado he was #2 at worst. So Phoenix takes Ayton? OK, fine. We take Bagley? Alright, that’s a coin flip I guess. Not my preferred selection, but there’s not much daylight between the two as prospects, if any. Then Atlanta trades him?!? For Trey Young? Wait, I’m missing something, because Schlenk is competent. There’s something about Doncic that the armchair fan is not privy too, because based on the film there is no #6 or worse player in 2019 that is going to make up the difference between Doncic and Trey Young.

Given our state over the last several years, it's perfectly logical for non-team writers to dump on us. If we start playing well, they will change their tune. Ultimately, the team has to perform for the narrative to change.

And despite being one of the more optimistic folks here, and believing in this group, I would say that it's a bit premature to praise Vlade (and equally to dump on him). It's not as if other GMs before him had major success. In all these years of lottery selections, we've had one major win (DMC), who was a no-brainer at the point where we picked him. Reke might have also made the list had injuries not limited him, and some guys picked after him not had MAJOR success. I left out IT, because not only was I focusing on lottery picks, but also because his major success came after he left us. The story on some of these guys is still to be written, so we shall wait and see, but we have not had much success in either draft picks, trades, FA, since our decline began.

While culture is a much abused word, I think that matters. Successful organizations find ways to make even lower picks successful, while bad franchises mess up higher picks too. We ourselves found excellent players late in the draft very consistently, who went on to have long, successful careers in the league for several years. Since then, we have messed up on most of our high picks too. This is one reason I was in tune with getting vets last year. Time will tell if any of that paid off or not.

Brown was one of Boston's untouchables.
Everything is untouchable according to Ainge and his army of media puppets, such as former Celtics blogger Zach Lowe, until its not. And then, when Ainge make a trade, his fawning media acolytes immediately declare that it was a “heist” that they got something or someone valuable for players/picks that they did not even value that much, if at all.

The NBC draft pod had criticism for Vlade as well, namely to do with his explanation and how bewildering it is.

By all-star weekend of this coming season, it will be two years since Vlade said he'd step down if the Kings weren't better. It doesn't look good for him right now.

The NBC draft pod had criticism for Vlade as well, namely to do with his explanation and how bewildering it is.

By all-star weekend of this coming season, it will be two years since Vlade said he'd step down if the Kings weren't better. It doesn't look good for him right now.
how long before our new capable, experienced, Ainge-esque GM we hire after Vlade quits builds us a playoff powerhouse? should not take a guy like that long...

I have not stop rooting for the kings since they moved to Sacramento. I remember all the losing seasons and still bought my season tickets year after year.
I moved to Colorado in 1998 and Wow alot of you got to see the great run the team had and I got to see them on tv and went to the nuggets to watch the kings once again a year.
I plan on seeing them in Cleveland this next season.

Maybe some of the folks should be thankful we still have a team in Sacramento or maybe I just like a underdog as I find myself watching more browns games the last couple of years and never the Lebron Cavs.
I’m right there with you. I haven’t lived near Sacramento for 25 years, and honestly never will for the rest of my life, yet for some reason can’t let go of this team. What’s the point at leaving now. o_Oo_O

I'm not a Vlade hater but I laughed hearing Grant address a caller on the radio today by saying "it doesn't matter what you think because Vlade REALLY knows what he's doing" with a massive emphasis on "really" as if Vlade is Danny Ainge or something.

The big disaster running this team into the ground was the Cousins pick. Not that I blame anyone for picking him. But we tried and tried to build something around him and it would not work. Not that I want to rehash all of that. I also suspected Cousins would get hurt. We waited to long to move him and mortgaged our future trying to make it work. Thank goodness they changed course. For better or for worse I'm glad Vlade stood up and picked his man this year.

Yes the Papa pick was bad. But with the trade down at least we got something. A smart move overall considering the cupboard was pretty bare. Now we have a lot of young pieces. We will see how it shakes out.

It is probably more exciting than trying to bring more aging vets in here to compliment Cousins comming off of injury.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The big disaster running this team into the ground was the Cousins pick. Not that I blame anyone for picking him. But we tried and tried to build something around him and it would not work. Not that I want to rehash all of that. I also suspected Cousins would get hurt. We waited to long to move him and mortgaged our future trying to make it work. Thank goodness they changed course. For better or for worse I'm glad Vlade stood up and picked his man this year.

Yes the Papa pick was bad. But with the trade down at least we got something. A smart move overall considering the cupboard was pretty bare. Now we have a lot of young pieces. We will see how it shakes out.

It is probably more exciting than trying to bring more aging vets in here to compliment Cousins comming off of injury.
Sure, because a freak injury that was probably partially incited because Alvin Gentry rode Boogie into the ground while Brow was injured is totally something that also would've happened in a completely different set of circumstances.

I'm not even really disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that you can't just assume that a freak injury is going to happen.

Sure, because a freak injury that was probably partially incited because Alvin Gentry rode Boogie into the ground while Brow was injured is totally something that also would've happened in a completely different set of circumstances.

I'm not even really disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that you can't just assume that a freak injury is going to happen.
Well Cousins was having issues with his feet the year before he got traded. He has always had trouble with getting up and down the court. I realized maybe it wasn't just laziness. That was my thinking anyway.

Non-contact usually means it was coming...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Non-contact usually means it was coming...
But it was coming because he was playing 44 minutes a night for a couple of months leading up to the injury and pretty much having to carry the entire team on his back while Davis was injured. Two games before he got injured, he 51.5 minutes which is not healthy for any basketball player, let alone a seven footer.

o_O

The Cousins pick isn't what "ran the team into the ground." That pick would have been the best possible outcome for any franchise in the position the Kings were in when they drafted him. A potential superstar had landed in their lap. Their subsequent drafting of Jimmer Fredette, Thomas Robinson, Ben Mclemore, and Nik Stauskas is surely more responsible for the team's struggles during Cousins' tenure than Cousins himself. That's four absolutely terrible first-round picks in a row, without even getting into the endlessly lateral trades and the regrettable use of cap space on a parade of mediocre free agents.

It's hard enough to win in the modern NBA with a franchise big man instead of a franchise guard. It's much harder if you can't surround your franchise big man with anything that resembles complementary talent. Had the Kings blown just one less draft selection by snagging Damian Lillard in 2013, the entire trajectory of that era of Kings basketball may have been different. Failing to build around Cousins after drafting him was a blunder of the highest order, but framing the Cousins pick itself as the source of the failure strikes me as an inability to see the forest for the trees.

o_O

The Cousins pick isn't what "ran the team into the ground." That pick would have been the best possible outcome for any franchise in the position the Kings were in when they drafted him. A potential superstar had landed in their lap. Their subsequent drafting of Jimmer Fredette, Thomas Robinson, Ben Mclemore, and Nik Stauskas is surely more responsible for the team's struggles during Cousins' tenure than Cousins himself. That's four absolutely terrible first-round picks in a row, without even getting into the endlessly lateral trades and the regrettable use of cap space on a parade of mediocre free agents.

It's hard enough to win in the modern NBA with a franchise big man instead of a franchise guard. It's much harder if you can't surround your franchise big man with anything that resembles complementary talent. Had the Kings blown just one less draft selection by snagging Damian Lillard in 2013, the entire trajectory of that era of Kings basketball may have been different. Failing to build around Cousins after drafting him was a blunder of the highest order, but framing the Cousins pick itself as the source of the failure strikes me as an inability to see the forest for the trees.
Bruh. You cant argue with Grant Napear..

Sarcasm emoji

o_O

Ok point taken. I'm looking forward to the future. Water under the bridge now. I hope Cousins comes back from his injury and has success. I'm not really interested in rehashing this. Some posters really bashed recent moves and I felt the need to get involved. Which was a mistake.

On Lowe's pod, the rock bottom was taking Bagley, saying they had a super team, and that Bagley could play the 3. They also went over the terrible Philly trade and the terrible draft history.

Basically that Kings fans want everyone fired.
what terrible draft history? Vlade has only been here two years. PDA is the one that is trash

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Your continued love for George Hill amuses me. You were all on fans for dumping on Hill despite admittedly not watching many games. And it's not as if he went on to star for the Cavs. The guy just flat out underperformed vs any reasonable expectations for his contract.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on Vlade.. George Hill's performance and dumping him is not one of them. If anything, it's giving him that contract.
With these two statements I believe you're making my point for me. :)

I'm not in love with George Hill. He's a journeyman that Vlade paid like a superstar and as a result a large chunk of the fans treated him like a criminal when he (shocker!) played more like a journeyman than a superstar for all of three and a half months. And I'm disgusted that this franchise (through various media channels) allowed the narrative to proliferate that Hill was such a problem that he needed to be dumped mid-way through his first year.

Based on any reasonable reading of his career to-date, George Hill did everything that could have been expected of him. He's not going to single-handily transform a terrible defensive team into the Spurs. He's not going to score the ball like a lead guard. What he is going to do is play and behave like a consummate professional and pass some of that discipline along to the kids and by all accounts he did exactly that. Failure to understand the nuance of that situation is exactly why I'm predicting similar outcomes for our newest franchise "saviors". It's not fair to the players to build them up as something that they're not.

With these two statements I believe you're making my point for me. :)

I'm not in love with George Hill. He's a journeyman that Vlade paid like a superstar and as a result a large chunk of the fans treated him like a criminal when he (shocker!) played more like a journeyman than a superstar for all of three and a half months. And I'm disgusted that this franchise (through various media channels) allowed the narrative to proliferate that Hill was such a problem that he needed to be dumped mid-way through his first year.

Based on any reasonable reading of his career to-date, George Hill did everything that could have been expected of him. He's not going to single-handily transform a terrible defensive team into the Spurs. He's not going to score the ball like a lead guard. What he is going to do is play and behave like a consummate professional and pass some of that discipline along to the kids and by all accounts he did exactly that. Failure to understand the nuance of that situation is exactly why I'm predicting similar outcomes for our newest franchise "saviors". It's not fair to the players to build them up as something that they're not.
Well yes and no.. your argument would make sense were it not for his last year in Utah. Well partially at least. We paid for that George Hill, and we didn't get anything close to him. You are changing the narrative by saying we simply paid for a journeyman. Much like if Clint Capella goes on to underperform next season, you can't say that well he was a journeyman. At the moment, he's being treated as much more than that despite being very much a roleplayer thus far in his career.

One could argue that stats aside, he did not provide veteran leadership, appearing disinterested in many games and so on. This is a nuance or impression you'd get only by actually watching the games, which you did not. You know, it's one thing if he came in, tried to score more and just failed. It's another to be given a role and simply not do it, even if that role was unreasonably given. If your boss gave you a huge promotion to do a job you weren't prepared to do, you wouldn't just continue doing what you'd always did and then say hey it's not my fault you paid me for something I wasn't prepared for. You'd try, and maybe you'd fail, but you'd try. George Hill by all appearances, did not try. You don't score 5 points in 30 minutes if you are trying. And when he did try, the difference and result was obvious.

Last edited:
Well yes and no.. your argument would make sense were it not for his last year in Utah. Well partially at least. We paid for that George Hill, and we didn't get anything close to him. You are changing the narrative by saying we simply paid for a journeyman. Much like if Clint Capella goes on to underperform next season, you can't say that well he was a journeyman. At the moment, he's being treated as much more than that despite being very much a roleplayer thus far in his career.

One could argue that stats aside, he did not provide veteran leadership, appearing disinterested in many games and so on. This is a nuance or impression you'd get only by actually watching the games, which you did not. You know, it's one thing if he came in, tried to score more and just failed. It's another to be given a role and simply not do it, even if that role was unreasonably given. If your boss gave you a huge promotion to do a job you weren't prepared to do, you wouldn't just continue doing what you'd always did and then say hey it's not my fault you paid me for something I wasn't prepared for. You'd try, and maybe you'd fail, but you'd try. George Hill by all appearances, did not try. You don't score 5 points in 30 minutes if you are trying. And when he did try, the difference and result was obvious.
Hill was the worst PG we have had since Ramon Sessions he suckered Vlade into giving him a massive deal, he was an embarrasment who got outplayed by two rookies and than went to the Cavs where he had a chance to win a ring and couldn't even muster up any energy to help them. If we were paying him 10million a season it would have been an overpay. Dude just sucked the air right out of me watching him on the Kings.

In my view, this was another mistake by Vlade as GM. Why did they grossly overpay George Hill with a 3 year almost 60 million dollar contract. They again misread what the team could do. They again got caught up thinking playoffs. Instead, Vlade realized that he didn't have the club to do it, and by Dec. he was searching for a way out of the George Hill contract. Now you are stuck with Shumpert-a guy Vlade doesn't want- at 11 million this year. Plan, this sure doesn't seem like a plan to me. This is if I throw enough s*** against the wall, maybe something will stick. How can someone defend this signing when we were no-where near a playoff team. Though I'm confident, that Vlade is the guy who takes responsibility for the signing while the final decision to make the signing is made upstairs....He has input, appears as the loyal face of the franchise, but remains only as part of the decision making process and not the final say.

Why else would you still have a rookie GM who has continually produced less than 500 ball, who made a terrible trade to build around Cousins and now onto plan b. Because he's not the one who ultimately makes the calls.

In my view, this was another mistake by Vlade as GM. Why did they grossly overpay George Hill with a 3 year almost 60 million dollar contract. They again misread what the team could do. They again got caught up thinking playoffs. Instead, Vlade realized that he didn't have the club to do it, and by Dec. he was searching for a way out of the George Hill contract. Now you are stuck with Shumpert-a guy Vlade doesn't want- at 11 million this year. Plan, this sure doesn't seem like a plan to me. This is if I throw enough s*** against the wall, maybe something will stick. How can someone defend this signing when we were no-where near a playoff team. Though I'm confident, that Vlade is the guy who takes responsibility for the signing while the final decision to make the signing is made upstairs....He has input, appears as the loyal face of the franchise, but remains only as part of the decision making process and not the final say.

Why else would you still have a rookie GM who has continually produced less than 500 ball, who made a terrible trade to build around Cousins and now onto plan b. Because he's not the one who ultimately makes the calls.
ive mentioned this before, but there is no way Hill was brought in to win now and go to the playoffs. i think they overpaid him on purpose to acquire him so that they would have something of value to trade eventually. in the meantime, they figured he would be a good mentor to Fox. now, they might have overestimated what they could eventually get for him (second rounder as it stands now), and also the impact he would have on Fox’s development and those two things were the mistake here, but I do not think they brought him in to win now. thats why his contract was only guaranteed for 2 years.

Advanced stats say that George Hill was one of our best players before we traded him but most of that is because of how efficiently he shot the ball. He was garbage at just about everything else. I wasn't expecting a lot from him but I thought he would be a 14-15ppg 5ast guy for us since he was clearly supposed to be the best player when he signed with us.

His departure was just strange to me. George Hill isn't a stupid person but I just don't understand the reports that he didn't know what he was getting into here. If we could see it from our couches, I don't know how a player in the business wasn't able to see it. One look at the roster and you knew this team wasn't contending for anything. I don't know what he was so irked about.

Advanced stats say that George Hill was one of our best players before we traded him but most of that is because of how efficiently he shot the ball. He was garbage at just about everything else. I wasn't expecting a lot from him but I thought he would be a 14-15ppg 5ast guy for us since he was clearly supposed to be the best player when he signed with us.

His departure was just strange to me. George Hill isn't a stupid person but I just don't understand the reports that he didn't know what he was getting into here. If we could see it from our couches, I don't know how a player in the business wasn't able to see it. One look at the roster and you knew this team wasn't contending for anything. I don't know what he was so irked about.
Hill is washed up point blank. He tried to mask that by using his Utah media sources to throw Vlade under the bus. It shows how great LBJ is and how weak the eastern conference is that they made it as far as they did.