Would you trade #2 and a young player (Buddy/Bogi/WCS/Skal/JJ) for Kawhi?

Would you trade #2 and a young player for Kawhi?

• Yes

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No

Votes: 52 96.3%

• Total voters
Kawhi Leonard incredibly talented NBA player - top 10 talent easily. As a great two-way player I'd say top 6-7. But for me proposed trade is a no go for one big reason. Leonard is not a team leader, not even a silent leader. Basically keeps mostly to himself and is strangely introverted in an almost anti-team mate fashion.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Whatever the hell happened last year has soured me on him. Wouldn't risk it.

Then there's also the whole "he'd probably leave as soon as he could" part as well.

Kawhi Leonard incredibly talented NBA player - top 10 talent easily. As a great two-way player I'd say top 6-7. But for me proposed trade is a no go for one big reason. Leonard is not a team leader, not even a silent leader. Basically keeps mostly to himself and is strangely introverted in an almost anti-team mate fashion.
Indeed. The strange drama with the Spurs has been disconcerting. How did he not make it to a single playoff game to cheer on his teammates from the bench? And what is the deal with this injury? Why do he and “his group” feel the need to be so cagey about it? Why’s it taking so long to heal? If the Kings already had another foundational piece in place, maybe you pull the trigger, because at least then the timeline makes sense. But if Deandre Ayton could fall into my lap at #2, there’s no way I’m sacrificing the future of my franchise for Kawhi Leonard with questions hanging about his health, and on the back side of an unnecessarily dramatic divorce from the most stable and well-respected franchise in the NBA. Let a playoff contender roll those dice.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
no sir....Kings don't have enough to surround him to compete and Kawhi will be entering his prime. Besides, he faked an injury most of the season, speculation on my part of course, but that's how I feel...what's that say about him? If he can't succeed in an organization like San Antonio...guess he didn't want to be Pop's robot. Kings are on a fine course right now, rebuild with the youth you have, hopefully one or two evolve into something special and have yourselves set up for a bright future with no drama and no incentive to win right now.

No thanks.

The media and I’m sure his “group” will have us thinking there is no way to keep him almost as soon as he gets here. They’ll probably be right. I’m a little wary of him after he caused the first drama in San Antonio for as long as I’ve been alive. Milking an injury past it’s typical course is a red flag whether real or fake. Spurs are a winning franchise, a contender if he’s healthy, he’s their best player, he’s paid well, and he’s considered the best two way player. Yet, it sounds like he doesn’t want to be there. I’m guessing these are things that are likely to come to Sacramento.

Of course if there was more assurance that
Leonard would be our guy, he’s only 26 and the best two way player but it would take the 2 and half the farm and we can easily see ourselves set back another 10 years after a year and a half

Considering his current injury and contract statuses, along with other factors pointed out in this thread ---- an emphatic NO.

If I knew with absolute certainty he would be 100% healthy going forward and that he'd re-sign with the Kings long term ---- possibly. It would depend upon what they'd have to give up in addtion to the #2 draft selection.

Not even close. Even if Kawhi weren't on a 1 year deal (which makes this trade a complete non-starter anyway), I wouldn't flip #2 for Kawhi, much less us adding anything to it. What does Kawhi fix? He's not adding 20+ wins by himself and we just depleted our assets to actually improve our team for eventually sustaining playoff runs.

Wrong timeline for us. Now if Boston wanted to give us one of Brown or Tatum and our pick back I would consider that.
Yeah, something like this is a lot closer, but probably still not enough. Or grabbing one of the super young stars (KAT, Kristaps, Ben Simmons type) for the pick.

There is more than a fair chance that the #2 pick does not end up being as good a player as Kawhi let alone better.

However, Kawhi is in his prime while most of our players are 2-3 years removed from hitting their most productive years. On top of that you need to consider the health and the contract in this thing. Ideally, you want as many of your core players hitting their prime at the same time as you can to give yourself the best chance of being really good. While Kawhi is undoubtedly a star, by the time our players start playing their best, Kawhi will be slowing down.

Now if we still had a fit and healthy in prime Cousins on out team then my answer would be HELL YEAH!!!!

My initial answer would be no because he can opt out of his contract and leave after next season. So unless be committed to an extension before the deal then I wouldn't consider it.

There's also the question mark next to his name because of injuries. Can you build a team around someone that seems injury prone? Realistically I'd say he needs a strong supporting cast to help take some of the load off him. We aren't really well positioned to do that.

I'd stick with the 2nd pick and take Ayton or Doncic.

One has to ask themselves what could be the issue between Kawhi and the Spurs? Since it does not make sense as the Spurs are a fine organization. What is wrong with this picture?

IMO after what Durant chose to do and watching his fortunes change with the GSW one could say, "who could blame him?" Durant does not have to work as hard and gets to win more. Kawhi may want this as well, but of course it is only conjecture on my part.

dude12

Hall of Famer
No.....stay with the process and see who our keepers are going forward. Way to early in the process to make a deal like this when we have no idea what Giles is, how good Fox will be and what the pick will become.

lol @ some of you who said that he wasn't successful in SA. He was the finals MVP not that long ago. SMH

But I do agree with the vast majority of the people on this board. I would not trade that pick for him. Why?

1. He has an injury history that concerns me. He was out last year against the warriors in the playoffs. (although it was a fluke/dirty play) Can he truly come back and become an elite player again?

2. He would not to stay here, even if the Kings were willing to throw a crapload of money at him.

3. The Kings are not ready to win right now. What they should do is to collect assets. What they SHOULD do is to take bad contracts along with 1st round draft picks. I don't know why Vlade hasn't leveraged his salary cap in that way yet. It seems that Houston, Miami, and Washington are prime teams that may need to shed salary.