Kings/ Warriors Trade Idea

I have to assume the Warriors are looking to trade their picks or Wiseman as there contention window with Klay/Steph/Green is potentially closing. I just don't see any blue chip guys out there for them to trade for? Who is really on the block? They don't have any cap space to sign free agents either.

Kings trade Harrison Barnes, Buddy Hield, '21 second round pick
Warriors trade James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins #14

Why for the Kings? The Kings have nice depth at the guard positions with Fox, Haliburton, Wright and Davis (yeh I know he is restricted) Buddy doesn't want to come off the bench for a team that can't make the play-in and it's probably time to move him. They add a young center since they will likely lose Holmes and another mid first rounder to draft a ZWill or Garuba. Yeh they have to take on Wiggins but they get 2 years to see if his improvement is for real. If it is you have a younger piece that fits the timeline, if not he comes off the books.

Why for the Warriors? They don't have time to develop Wiseman and they need veterans right now around their core so they can take another crack at a title. Adding two veterans to help win now takes the pressure off drafting a player that can help right away at 7. They can simply take best player available.

Kings Lineup

Fox/Wright
Haliburton/Davis
Wiggins/ ZWill
Johnson/ Wagner
Wiseman

Warriors Lineup
Steph/Mitchell
Klay/Buddy
Barnes
Green
Looney

Buddy coming off the bench for the Warriors would be pretty crazy. 3 of the best shooters in NBA history on one squad. I would expect him to be a 6th man of the year candidate on a squad like this.

Last edited:

kb02

All-Star
I have to assume the Warriors are looking to trade their picks or Wiseman as there contention window with Klay/Steph/Green is potentially closing. I just don't see any blue chip guys out there for them to trade for? Who is really on the block? They don't have any cap space to sign free agents either.

Kings trade Harrison Barnes, Buddy Hield, '21 second round pick
Warriors trade James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins #14

Why for the Kings? The Kings have nice depth at the guard positions with Fox, Haliburton, Wright and Davis (yeh I know he is restricted) Buddy doesn't want to come off the bench for a team that can't make the play-in and it's probably time to move him. They add a young center since they will likely lose Holmes and another mid first rounder to draft a ZWill or Garuba. Yeh they have to take on Wiggins but they get 2 years to see if his improvement is for real. If it is you have a younger piece that fits the timeline, if not he comes off the books.

Why for the Warriors? They don't have time to develop Wiseman and they need veterans right now around their core so they can take another crack at a title. Adding two veterans to help win now takes the pressure off drafting a player that can help right away at 7. They can simply take best player available.

Kings Lineup

Fox/Wright
Haliburton/Davis
Wiggins/ ZWill
Johnson/ Wagner
Wiseman

Warriors Lineup
Steph/Mitchell
Klay/Buddy
Barnes
Green
Looney

Buddy coming off the bench for the Warriors would be pretty crazy. 3 of the best shooters in NBA history on one squad. I would expect him to be a 6th man of the year candidate on a squad like this.
Warriors would require #9.

Wiseman would likely go top 10 in this draft, so they would see it as two firsts plus Wiggins for Buddy and Barnes.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I would do it, Warriors fans think that package would net them Lillard or Simmons (well maybe if they threw in their other pick). This isn't as sexy and it won't secure them for 10 years down the line but this would probably give the Warriors a legit crack at 2 or 3 more rings before it all crashes down. Considering that the league seems to be operating in 3-5 year windows right now, they should consider something like this.

Warriors would require #9.

Wiseman would likely go top 10 in this draft, so they would see it as two firsts plus Wiggins for Buddy and Barnes.
I’m sure they would ask for it but I wonder if they have any leverage? If I’m the Warriors I don’t want to go into next season with the same roster (plus Klay) as last year in addition to two rookies. Wiseman is raw still and it remains to be seen if he develops. Their best title shot is probably in the next 2-3 years. Now I’m sure they will try to swing bigger I just can’t think of any available vets that help them

I would do it, Warriors fans think that package would net them Lillard or Simmons (well maybe if they threw in their other pick). This isn't as sexy and it won't secure them for 10 years down the line but this would probably give the Warriors a legit crack at 2 or 3 more rings before it all crashes down. Considering that the league seems to be operating in 3-5 year windows right now, they should consider something like this.
yeh the Beals and Simmons types are going to cost a lot more than what the Warriors have to offer. If Buddy is 6th man of the year and Barnes provides 40 percent 3pt shooting and solid BBIQ I think that gives them a real shot at title contention and they do It while keeping their top ten pick.

I like this trade idea. There are probably some other variations with an Oubre or R Holmes sign-and-trade that make sense (but have salary cap limitations). A Warriors dear lineup of Holmes, Draymond, Klay, Hield and Curry would be tough.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see this at all from the Warrior's side.

They are taking on slightly more salary and Barnes isn't a huge upgrade to Wiggins which means essentially Buddy would have to be worth Wiseman and the #14 pick for them and he isn't worth anywhere near that much.

I can't see this at all from the Warrior's side.

They are taking on slightly more salary and Barnes isn't a huge upgrade to Wiggins which means essentially Buddy would have to be worth Wiseman and the #14 pick for them and he isn't worth anywhere near that much.
playoff time I think most squads would see Barnes as an upgrade over Wiggins IMO.

Do you see the Warriors standing pat with their roster plus the two lottery picks? If not, who is out there that could be had for a developing center and their picks?

Well, it's certainly interesting. Kings would be trading away two guys almost certain to help make the Warriors very formidable again for three dollops of "promise." In terms of individual performances next year, going from Barnes and Holmes to Wiggins and Wiseman is almost surely a downgrade. If the Kings really are "playoffs or bust" this coming year, that's a pretty danged risky strategy.

That said, in the Kings' situation, you need some uncertainties to break your way to become good. You just need to choose those uncertainties wisely. I'd hate to lose HB, but, yeah, I think a package of Wiseman, Wiggins, and the #14 in this draft would be worth the gamble - not so much for the coming year, but for the hope of the years after.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
playoff time I think most squads would see Barnes as an upgrade over Wiggins IMO.

Do you see the Warriors standing pat with their roster plus the two lottery picks? If not, who is out there that could be had for a developing center and their picks?
It doesn't seem that way, based on Myers' comments about not wanting to develop young guys at the cost of losing games. I don't see Beal, Simmons, or Lillard as realistic targets both for the cost and the fit for each of them.

Maybe Siakam? Myles Turner?

One thing the Warriors have been missing since Iguodala and Shaun Livingston moved on is one or more bigger playmakers/defenders off the bench.

I'm not sure who in the trade market really fits that bill. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer the MLE to Derrick Rose or even take a low cost flyer on Tyreke Evans once he's reinstated.

Last edited:
Curry will be 34 come playoff time. Their best shot at a title is this year and the next. Had they drafted Ball they could have been Booker and Paul for a few more years after that but they blew it. You could make a case it would be smart to go all in now and then start over in a few years when Curry is done.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curry will be 34 come playoff time. Their best shot at a title is this year and the next. Had they drafted Ball they could have been Booker and Paul for a few more years after that but they blew it. You could make a case it would be smart to go all in now and then start over in a few years when Curry is done.
I certainly expect them to try and package Wiseman and #7 and/or #14 for a win now player or players. I'm just not sure what that will net them. As a Kings fan I'd love to see Wiseman, Wiggins, and #14 for Barnes and Buddy but I don't know that the Warriors will see it as equal value.

And I think that will be the issue. That package isn't enough for a true star player and they may not like the offers they'll actually get for it.

Wiseman's inconsistency before his season ending injury probably means at least for now the market isn't that great for him.

I certainly expect them to try and package Wiseman and #7 and/or #14 for a win now player or players. I'm just not sure what that will net them. As a Kings fan I'd love to see Wiseman, Wiggins, and #14 for Barnes and Buddy but I don't know that the Warriors will see it as equal value.

And I think that will be the issue. That package isn't enough for a true star player and they may not like the offers they'll actually get for it.

Wiseman's inconsistency before his season ending injury probably means at least for now the market isn't that great for him.
The other thought is to draft Sengun with the seventh pick (which of course I don’t want them to do :D). I think he has a high ceiling and he would be paired with Green.

Steph
Klay
Black Falcon
Green
Sengun

Sixth Man of the Year Buddy Buckets

5 plus passers, 3 plus shooters and 2 elite defenders.

I’m sure they would ask for it but I wonder if they have any leverage? If I’m the Warriors I don’t want to go into next season with the same roster (plus Klay) as last year in addition to two rookies. Wiseman is raw still and it remains to be seen if he develops. Their best title shot is probably in the next 2-3 years. Now I’m sure they will try to swing bigger I just can’t think of any available vets that help them
Yea, I think they will try to swing bigger. But for your offer, I just don't see them doing it without the Kings including #9. Wiseman, I think is a better two way prospect than Bagley. He's bigger, has slightly more skill (not saying much), and is a legit 5. And, more importantly, Wiseman has three more years on his rookie deal while Bags has only 1. For those reasons, think the dubs will rate him, fairly, as worth a top 10 pick.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If I think my house is worth twice as much as anyone is going to pay for it, that's great. But if I need to sell it, I take what the market will bear.

So the question is do the Dubs think keeping Wiseman is worth their window slamming shut?

They're also paying to unload Wiggins, who ok, he didn't suck last year as bad as he has with Minnesota, but there's no reason to believe he isn't a giant albatross around any team carrying him. The only reason he worked with the Warriors is because they are so far above the cap that he gives them a placeholder for future deals.

Like this one.

How About:
Kings trade Harrison Barnes, Buddy Hield, #9
Warriors trade James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins #7

Dubs still gets #9 and #14 , could still get Segun at #9 or maybe at #14
Kings get our center, Kuminga at #7, Wiggins, still have #39

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
How About:

I would do that in a heartbeat but I think #7 is probably more valuable to the Warriors than 9 and 14 whereas 9 and 14 would be slightly more valuable to us especially if we got Wiseman in the deal.

I think any combo of Barnes, Bagley and Hield will appeal to some teams once the dominoes start to fall or it becomes clear certain players aren't actually on the table.

How About:

that isn’t totally unreasonable. We get first crack at the best of the rest after the elite 6 and are first in line in case someone falls.

I look at it this way trade value wise:

Wiggins is worth negative value or at best second round value due to his contract

Wiseman’s value is hard to predict but he is now a former #2 pick instead of the number #2 pick. In this draft he would probably be taken 7-10.

Buddy’s value to the right team is late lottery IMO
Barnes is about the same.

In my mind the Warriors are slightly over paying if including the #14th pick but in doing so They are getting their return now instead of 2 years down the road.

Last edited:
I would do that in a heartbeat but I think #7 is probably more valuable to the Warriors than 9 and 14 whereas 9 and 14 would be slightly more valuable to us especially if we got Wiseman in the deal.
I think Just moving down from #7 to #9 to get two win-now vets is better than giving up a mid 1st at #14 for a #39

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think Just moving down from #7 to #9 to get two win-now vets is better than giving up a mid 1st at #14 for a #39
I was talking about the 9 & 14 vs the 7 since the players didn't change much.

I think the original proposal of the players plus the 14 to Sac with the 7 & 9 staying put gives everyone what they "need" for the next 2-3 years and makes the most sense. I think it very realistically gets the Warriors at least one more finals appearance.

Well I’m not opposed to trading with the Warriors. Best trade we ever made was with the Warriors which then turned into a pretty good trade with the Wiz.
Still I would like to keep Barnes a King, time line doesn’t matter to me all that much.

I still would like to see two draft night trades

Why warriors - trade down 2 slots to get two win now vets

Kings trade Bagley , #39
OKC trades #16, #18

Why OKC - They have to many picks and get Potential in Bagley

#7 kings pick best SF (Barnes/Kuminga?)
#16 kings pick best PF - Garuba?
#18 kings pick best C - Segun?

Kings:
Fox,Wright
Hali, TD
Kuminga, Wiggins, Woodard
Garuba, Metu
Wiseman, Segun, Jones

Kings win Draft night
Kings keep backcourt Fox/Hali
Fresh Blood up front

Last edited:
I still would like to see two draft night trades

Why warriors - trade down 2 slots to get two win now vets

Kings trade Bagley , #39
OKC trades #16, #18

Why OKC - They have to many picks and get Potential in Bagley

#7 kings pick best SF (Barnes/Kuminga?)
#16 kings pick best PF - Garuba?
#18 kings pick best C - Segun?

Kings:
Fox,Wright
Hali, TD
Kuminga, Wiggins, Woodard
Garuba, Metu
Wiseman, Segun, Jones

Kings win Draft night
Kings keep backcourt Fox/Hali
Fresh Blood up front
If there is a way to add Garuba with a later pick then I’m a happy fan.