Would Webber Have Made A Difference This Year In Playoffs???

T

thesanityannex

pretty simple question. just wondering what everyone thinks. personally, i think they could have gotten out of the first round with him, but after that.....dead to the spurs. not that i wanted him to stay just for that reason (second round birth). he will reinjure his knee again (poor guy) and i think they got rid of him while he still had value.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, like we need to start the whole Webber thing over again? Sorry, that ship sailed. And, as BLNINJA eloquently pointed out, there's no way of knowing what might or might not have happened.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have been asked by a member of this forum to reopen this thread as he feels it is something some people would like to discuss.

After thinking about it, I am going to honor his request with this proviso:

If you're going to simply use this thread as a way to bash Webber, bring up the old Peja-Webber arguments, etc. DON'T BOTHER because your post will be deleted.

Thank you.

Perhaps Webb would have made a difference in a game or two, but as far as winning a series I don't think so, especially against a rebounding machine like Seattle.

There are a lot of what-ifs. My guess is that if the trade hadn't gone down this year's playoffs would have been closer to last year's. They would have played Dallas, and won the series (although probably in more than 5 games). Then they would have most likely lost in the second round again. There are two big reasons they would have done better this year.

One, the team would be much more familiar with each other. I think the lack of experience together played a big role in this year's quick exit. Remember last year, like this year, there were several close games that came down to the end. The playoff-tested Kings of last year won those close games. The inexperienced Kings of this year (at least as a unit) lost them.

Two, Webber's vocal leadership would have helped carry them during the down times. I doubt the team would have been tired of his style of leadership had he still been around. Instead, I think they would have rallied a little better instead of losing focus and confidence.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We would have made it past the first round I think. Would have had our sense of identity, known who and what we were, been able to dissect them better with passes etc. Would have made it tough on Seattle. But the San Antonio draw in the second round probably would have been it. There was that one game in early January that gave us hope there, so who knows. But probably not enough. Now if we could have drawn Phoenix in the 2nd round (and if we keep Webber I think we are actually in that 4/5 matchup instead of the 3/6 with Seattle), that would have given us a real shot. Webber, even old hobbled Webber, had shown that he could punish Marion inside, and we'd played them very tight. But that's all speculative. Either way, San Antonio was probably the one team we weren't going to realistically beat out West. So whenever we ran into them, could very well have been it.

A

AriesMar27

it would have been nice to see that go down one last time.... but it didnt...

I would've liked to see Webber guarding James. Maybe a bigger body, and the star factor would've stymied him. Then again, with Webber on the floor, James probably wouldn't have played as much.

Brick and uolj got it right. We were lacking team cohesion and leadership. I remember the series against Dallas last year, there were times we were trying to run with them, but Webber was vocal about slowing it down. We won close games on execution and getting the necessary stops.

We’ll never know, but seeing how things turned out, it would be fun to see the alternative.

Yes he would have made a difference. Look at his performance before the trade. Pretty good for a guy with only leg as people like to point out. We also would have more of the continuity that we were seriously lacking b/c our team had not played as a team until the play offs. I'm not saying we would have won the championship but I bet we would have beaten Seattle. Plus his rebounding skills would not have hurt.

VF21 said:
Yeah, like we need to start the whole Webber thing over again? Sorry, that ship sailed. And, as BLNINJA eloquently pointed out, there's no way of knowing what might or might not have happened.
I was just about to say, "Don't do this to yourself." I have a feeling y'allz will be thankful that Petrie got rid of his contract in the near future.

i think webber would have, because he gave problems to the seattle big men. Thats one of the reasons jerome dominated on us, because we didn't have much post presence. And with mobley and all the other shooters, i think he would have made a difference. But then there are so many other things you would have to put into the mix like skinner, corliss, and thomas, all the rebounds and toughness they brought too us. Its impossible to tell.

Gargamel said:
I was just about to say, "Don't do this to yourself." I have a feeling y'allz will be thankful that Petrie got rid of his contract in the near future.
Most people think that the trade wasn't made for this year, and even right when it happened many of us figured this would happen in the first round this year. It's not an indication of whether the trade was bad or not. We won't know for at least two more years.

What this discussion does highlight is what the Kings should be looking for in the future. I think they need to replace the two things that I mentioned above that the Webber trade took away. They need to gain playoff experience as a unit over the next couple years (whenever they settle on a new core). They also need to find a new lockerroom leader or two (I don't think Bibby can be that main guy right now, maybe in 3-4 years). I'm looking forward to a few good threads about those topics this off-season.

Trying to understand what they lost when Webber, Divac and Christie left is an important part of figuring out what they should do in the future.

I think with Webb, there was a better chance of getting pass the first round. But I think we probably might lose in 7 @Seattle (or @Dallas if we were to face the Mavs). Even if we did win and went to 2nd Round, Spurs will give us troubles. Webb would have helped on offense, but I don't know about defense.

As much as we all wanted to see Webber still in the postseason against the Sonics, it didn't happen. And, he's gone. I know we have a hard time of letting our players go, and this one was the hardest. He might of been the driven force which Sacramento needed to beat Seattle, but we're beyond that now. We have three different faces, and it's not about what we would of had if we still had whom, it's about what needs to be done to improve on what we've done wrong.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gargamel said:
Don't worry, Gargy.

I accept the inevitable conclusion that the trade was best for the FUTURE of the Kings. I am not sure I'll ever accept the timing, but I also understand we might not have gotten an offer like that at the end of the year. AND if Webber had done well in the playoffs there would have been a tremendous amount of pressure on the Maloofs and Petrie to keep him even though he's pretty much a time bomb at this point and his salary is completely prohibitive for a non-championship team to try and justify.

My reason for that comment was that I was afraid people would use the thread as simply another way to dig up old and now meaningless grievances against Webber, and I closed the thread for that reason. As I posted subsequently, however, someone convinced me I was being a tad too protective and premature...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bad Boy Bo said:
We have three different faces, and it's not about what we would of had if we still had whom, it's about what needs to be done to improve on what we've done wrong.
Ah, but the joys of message boards are the need/desire to revisit what MIGHT have been over... and over... and over... and over.

It took two years before we quit second guessing the Bibby-Williams trade and that one was a no-brainer.

;)

If Petrie had waited and Webber had degenerated further, he could NEVER have traded him. At least this way, the 76ers could have some hope that he had something left in the tank.

I checked the old box scores of our games against the Sonics this season where Webber played. We got killed in one by 30 and lost another one that was close. We were out-rebounded in both by double-digits.

I honestly do not think we would even make the playoffs given the health of big men this season. Webber's knee is so bad that he could not pratice with the team. Given what happen to us this year and all of the injuries I am glad we have Petrie. He traded two players who were often injuried this season for players that added the much needed depth to survive through further injuries

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Petrie had waited and IF Webber had degenerated is moot. Petrie didn't wait and, BTW, Webber didn't degenerate. He adapted his game and actually put up pretty decent numbers in a totally different offensive scheme.

He was traded because of his salary, the potential for debillitating injury, and the offer from the 76ers - it wasn't like Petrie was trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

The question was would he have made a difference in the playoffs.

Since he DIDN'T collapse in Philly and was able to perform for them post-season, there is every reason to believe he would have played even harder here - for the Kings. Is that so difficult for people to acknowledge?

And for the record? Doug Christie didn't have a history of injuries. His trade was primarily because of his salary on the books, too, along with his age, and declining production. (Which probably was related to the plantar fasciitis and bone spurs, which have now been removed.)

I don't mind the rebuilding but I fail to understand why some people have to justify the trades by belittling the players involved.

VF21 said:
If Petrie had waited and IF Webber had degenerated is moot. Petrie didn't wait and, BTW, Webber didn't degenerate. He adapted his game and actually put up pretty decent numbers in a totally different offensive scheme.

He was traded because of his salary, the potential for debillitating injury, and the offer from the 76ers - it wasn't like Petrie was trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

The question was would he have made a difference in the playoffs.

Since he DIDN'T collapse in Philly and was able to perform for them post-season, there is every reason to believe he would have played even harder here - for the Kings. Is that so difficult for people to acknowledge?

And for the record? Doug Christie didn't have a history of injuries. His trade was primarily because of his salary on the books, too, along with his age, and declining production. (Which probably was related to the plantar fasciitis and bone spurs, which have now been removed.)

I don't mind the rebuilding but I fail to understand why some people have to justify the trades by belittling the players involved.
No Doug was was injuried this season and traded in part because he was. I did not belittle anyone. I stated what I thought were the reasons in which they were traded. I think the health of the players played major roles in Petrie's decision. No way Petrie trades a healthy Webber or Christie.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
AleksandarN said:
No Doug was was injuried this season and traded in part because he was. I did not belittle anyone. I stated what I thought were the reasons in which they were traded. I think the health of the players played major roles in Petrie's decision. No way Petrie trades a healthy Webber or Christie.
Sorry. I should have clarified. I wasn't talking about YOU belittling players...I was replying to two different posts at the same time and probably should have made it clearer.

------------------------------------------------

sloter - Yeah, I think those rebounds AND his points AND assists most likely would have been most helpful. AND his playoff savvy and experience would have been a real asset. Too bad your blinders don't let you see anything good about one of the best players to ever don a Sacramento Kings uniform.

Hate on...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Yeah, because that's exactly what he would have averaged if he were still here...

[/sarcasm]

Webber would have averaged more than 5.6 rebounds per game for Sacramento, simply because 3/5 of the starting lineup don't even make an attempt to rebound the basketball.

And anyway, Webber did actually lead the team in rebounding before the trade, so I'd like to see you try to make a cogent argument that he wouldn't have had he stayed...

VF21 said:
Sorry. I should have clarified. I wasn't talking about YOU belittling players...I was replying to two different posts at the same time and probably should have made it clearer.

------------------------------------------------

Ok no problem. I was wondering what was going on there.

Last edited:
Would Webber have made a difference in the playoffs? Well not having him seemed to, we just got totally embarassed in the 1st round... why do people keep pretending we didn't?

VF21 said:

I wrote what I wrote because several people said they would have liked to have had one more try with Webber and then trade him if he played poorly. I was pointing out that you could only trade him while people think he has a big upside.

Diabeticwonder said:
Perhaps Webb would have made a difference in a game or two, but as far as winning a series I don't think so, especially against a rebounding machine like Seattle.
In the last game he played against the Sonics, Webber almost had a triple double with 8/13, 19 pts 9assists and 9 rebounds. And as far as I remember he play Danny Forstan and the rest of their guys very well. So he would definitely would have made a difference. And if we won 2 games because of him, I think the rest of the guys could have pulled out another, so I think the series was winnable with Webber's presence.

you know i was glad to see webber go, but i really do think he would have made a difference. I think it was a bad to trade him in the middle of the season expecially cause.... well cause hes chris webber, lol. i think our main guys missed him a lot, expecially bibby and peja. the weight was put on there shoulders to carry the team and they did the best they could i guess. i just felt when ever we played bibby was thinking, oh man i wish chris was here. idk, I just think chris would have made a Huge difference in these playoffs.