Would Webber Have Made A Difference This Year In Playoffs???

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

Dixon's a free agent, so we can't trade anybody for him. But thanks for totally misinterpreting my point, "smart guy."

Thank you for stating that there are 20 guys who scored 20 or more this season in the NBA when the "50 such players given minutes and shots" was obviously not ment to include Shaqs and Duncans of the league.

I find two problems with this assessment: 1) The Kings don't have two superstars, but 2) The Sonics are not an "awesome" team.
The Sixers had two superstars. The Pistons are an awsome team.

And the Sonics were "written off" the moment the final buzzer sounded in Game 5 between the Spurs and the Nuggets. And you can quote me.
I say even with the injuries they have a chance.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So instead of discussing what the Kings might have done in the playoffs with Webber in the lineup, we're now reduced to "No, they can't" and "Yes, they can" and it's about the bleeping Sonics?

:rolleyes:

CAUTION: DANGER AHEAD-Me thinking out loud

I haven't even been posting in this thread, yet I am frustrated. Would Webber have made a difference this year in the playoffs? You'd have to have you head too far up yo....(PG-site, I remember) not to think so, whether you believe the difference would have been positive or negative.

And now we are getting these arguments like "well it was all for the best anyway now we can retool" My biggest fear in all of this is that we wont----well at least for a little while. The Kings renaissance wasn't a one year thing, it was a couple years in the making. And even those teams that can turn things around in one year do so because they have the cap flexibility to do so (prime example: PHX).

I believe the pendulum will swing back our way, but what if its not to 3-4 years down the line? You know when Webber's contract, Dougs Contract or anything that Vlade would have signed would have expired and thus leaving us with lots of $$$ under the cap? Would people still say the trade "was for the best" because we've gotten back to becoming contenders again? In that case we would all have to start subscribing to the "Drafting Pervis Ellison #1 was the right move and all for the best" theory because slowly, yet surely we became the team we wanted.

In any case, nevermind my blabbering. I fully believe the Kings, if not this season, then next, will make a MAJOR change.

ReinadelosReys said:
I haven't even been posting in this thread, yet I am frustrated. Would Webber have made a difference this year in the playoffs? You'd have to have you head too far up yo....(PG-site, I remember) not to think so, whether you believe the difference would have been positive or negative.

And now we are getting these arguments like "well it was all for the best anyway now we can retool" My biggest fear in all of this is that we wont----well at least for a little while. The Kings renaissance wasn't a one year thing, it was a couple years in the making. And even those teams that can turn things around in one year do so because they have the cap flexibility to do so (prime example: PHX).

I believe the pendulum will swing back our way, but what if its not to 3-4 years down the line? You know when Webber's contract, Dougs Contract or anything that Vlade would have signed would have expired and thus leaving us with lots of $$$ under the cap? Would people still say the trade "was for the best" because we've gotten back to becoming contenders again? In that case we would all have to start subscribing to the "Drafting Pervis Ellison #1 was the right move and all for the best" theory because slowly, yet surely we became the team we wanted.

In any case, nevermind my blabbering. I fully believe the Kings, if not this season, then next, will make a MAJOR change.
Well stated^. It seems like with each new post trade dissapointment more excuses pop up. We need to make some good moves and improve the team signifigantly from where it finished this year. If we do, great... then they were good trades(including letting Vlade go), but if it continues the way it has gone then maybe we didn't get the right guys for what we had. Maybe, just maybe, our management made some wrong decisions. I certainly didn't see any improvement in our interior presence or rebounding when the supposedly hobbled Webber was dealt for some more "athletic" fowards. I didn't see any decent defense that could match even a hobbled Doug out of Cat, and while Mobley could score big at times, I think the loss of Dougs passing really hurt our offensive flow. We certainly can't lead the league in assists like we used to anymore. I "Hope" Petrie can move some of these bad contracts, and that Cat opts out and we can turn it around but you can't say for sure he will because he hasn't done it yet.

Last edited:
KP said:
Well stated^. It seems like with each new post trade dissapointment more excuses pop up.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Did you expect the team to go all the way? Do you think the trades were made solely for this season?

I think any fan is disappointed when their team doesn't go all the way. IMO the Christie and Webber trades were GREAT trades! I didn't feel the Kings were championship material with either of those players. Maybe a little better than what we have now. So, I'm in the camp that believed Petrie realized the team wasn't going anywhere this year and had to unload 2 BAD contracts. I'm hoping that was just the starting point.

If at this time next season things aren't different......someone has some splaining to do!!!

G_M said:
If at this time next season things aren't different......someone has some splaining to do!!!
Exactly^! But so far you can't say it's been a success, right? You'll have to see the results of the offseason and next year to know for sure right? The rest of my post(besides what you quoted) shows what I meant, which was that the guys we got have underachieved when compared to their predecessors, and that if we don't improve next year (especially considering after that Webbs contract would have been HUGE salary cap relief for anyone who would have taken him)they will be bad trades.

Last edited:
I "Hope" Petrie can move some of these bad contracts, and that Cat opts out and we can turn it around but you can't say for sure he will because he hasn't done it yet.
Actually, we have to hope Cat picks up his option and we can move him in a Sign and Trade, otherwise that 7 Million dollars just walks out the door. We are still over the cap without it. Then it will be like trading Doug for nothing.

KP said:
Exactly^! But so far you can't say it's been a success, right? You'll have to see the results of the offseason and next year to know for sure right? The rest of my post(besides what you quoted) shows what I meant, which was that the guys we got have underachieved when compared to their predecessors, and that if we don't improve next year (especially considering after that Webbs contract would have been HUGE salary cap relief for anyone who would have taken him)they will be bad trades.
I agree. There's a difference between whether Webb would have made a difference, and whether or not the trade was good (long term). To me, it's a given that Webb would have made a difference this year, but I know that the trade was made for the future of this team. I don't think GP is done, and I don't think we'll be able to really judge this trade until we see what our team is going to look like, and how they're going to play.

KP said:

First, it was a success trading Webber's contract. Wins and losses were incidental. I would agree that if you believe the trade was done to improve the team this year then it was a failure. However, not to make excuses but realistically you can't overhaul the roster and expect them to compete in the same season. Especially, given the injury situation.

The problem is that Webber has 3 more years left on his contract. If you believe that Miller, Peja and Bibby are in their prime you need to get it done in the next 2-3 years. Webber has 62 million left on his deal. The irony to me is that Webber's high level of play allowed him to be traded. If you have read the Philly papers and national reports there aren't many people that believe Philly did the right thing in adding Webber.

First, it was a success trading Webber's contract.
Actually, moving Webb's contract was only the first step. If they make no other moves, we are actually on the hook for 3 million dollars MORE over the course of the life of the contracts we took on. If those pieces (either by themselves or packaged with others) are unable to be moved for pieces that IMPROVE the team over the next season or two, then the original move won't be deemed a success here either.

If you believe that Miller, Peja and Bibby are in their prime you need to get it done in the next 2-3 years.
True. Let's hope Petrie can make the moves going forward to get them the help they need. Right now, we are far from being considered contenders.

G_M said:
First, it was a success trading Webber's contract. Wins and losses were incidental. I would agree that if you believe the trade was done to improve the team this year then it was a failure. However, not to make excuses but realistically you can't overhaul the roster and expect them to compete in the same season. Especially, given the injury situation.

The problem is that Webber has 3 more years left on his contract. If you believe that Miller, Peja and Bibby are in their prime you need to get it done in the next 2-3 years. Webber has 62 million left on his deal. The irony to me is that Webber's high level of play allowed him to be traded. If you have read the Philly papers and national reports there aren't many people that believe Philly did the right thing in adding Webber.
Look, I think we agree on just about everything other than the fact that you can't call it a success(or a failure) yet. You have to wait to see what happens next year, obviously you weren't one of the people that thought this team got better right away because of the trade, but there were plenty that did, and still do... and that is who I was speaking to. As far as what Philly papers and fans have to say about Webber, trust me I've read plenty and watched every single game they played after the trade, and it wasn't all negative. They were 3 games below .500 when Webb got there and went 17-11 after the trade, not to mention going 8-2 to finish up the season. Webber missed some of those games and only played decent most of the time but they didn't have to give up anything to get him and a lot of their fans realize this. Trust me if Webb picks it up a little next year and the rookies can get a little more consistant, Philly will be fine with the trade... if that does happen and the Kings slide even farther than they already have, I will not be.

Last edited:
A

Archibald

PixelPusher said:
Jerome James: "...By the way, how's the ankle support on those sneakers..."
Ragging on Jerome James may make you feel better in the short run, but then where does it leave you? Your team - still 1-and-out of the playoffs. Even with the early exit, I think the Kings were better off without Webber. As soft as they seemed to be in the middle and no interior defense, he would have made them softer. His questionable knee would have been a huge liability going into the playoffs, given all the pounding and rough play that goes on in the post season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Archibald said:
Ragging on Jerome James may make you feel better in the short run, but then where does it leave you? Your team - still 1-and-out of the playoffs. Even with the early exit, I think the Kings were better off without Webber. As soft as they seemed to be in the middle and no interior defense, he would have made them softer. His questionable knee would have been a huge liability going into the playoffs, given all the pounding and rough play that goes on in the post season.
Oh, lighten up Sonics fan.

It was a joke... You know... a joke. Much like your team's performance so far against the Spurs?

As for Webber's questionable knee, it seemed to work okay for him back East. It wasn't his knee that was responsible for the 76ers early exit in the playoffs.

Last edited: