With the 7th pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings select .....

bajaden

Hall of Famer
And what I'm saying is that while I like Burks, the argument I'd have to make is that he IS the BPA. Not down the road when he possibly develops his shot, but right now. I think there's still an argument that he is. I'd prefer him over, say, Klay Thompson even though the latter already has shooting because of the other things Burks brings to the table.
I really, really tried to get excited about Burks during the past season, and I couldn't. Yeah, he'd make an occasional spectacular play, and yes, he showed that he had a lot of tools. But for some reason, none of it translated to wins. Or at least enough wins to make the tourney. Although at the time I thought Colorado got screwed. As I've said before, something about him just didn't hit me right. Hopefully for his sake, I hope I'm wrong. He has a lot of potential, but of all the guys out there that the Kings could take, he would be the most disappointing of them all for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly support him if we choose him. And I'll really, really hope I'm wrong about him. More than anything, with his current skill level, I can't think of a worse fit next to Tyreke. They have almost identical strengths and weaknesses. Put them on the floor together, and you have two guys that shoot under 30 % from beyond the arc. Burks shot 29% from the 3 pt line last season. And that was the college three. Adding on another foot or so isn't going to help his shooting.

I think it all depends on what you call a good shooter. Some would say that Kidd is a good shooter now. And if you want to narrow it down to having a wide open set shot, he is. But thats it. Kidd can't come off a screen from behind the 3pt line and shoot with any accuracy. If you want to say that players who were bad shooter can become good enought that you have to guard them, I'll agree. But not many players that were bad shooters have become good or great shooters. I think Gerald Wallace might be the usual standard. He's developed into a decent outside shooter. But he's far and away from being a great shooter.

Almost all your truely great outside shooters in the NBA, were good shooters coming out of college. I certainly think Burks will improve, and he doesn't have to improve a whole lot to become a player that might be an all star. But I doubt he'll ever be a guy that shoots over 40% from behind the line.
That's all I'm trying to say.

And what I'm saying is that while I like Burks, the argument I'd have to make is that he IS the BPA. Not down the road when he possibly develops his shot, but right now. I think there's still an argument that he is. I'd prefer him over, say, Klay Thompson even though the latter already has shooting because of the other things Burks brings to the table.
I'm not even saying he'd have to become that great of a shooter to be the bpa here. He actually has an alright set shot, so I don't see him having that much trouble improving that. If he can be just decent off the dribble (his mechanics are definitely salvageable, and he gets good elevation, which is always a plus) and add some strength, I think he can being better than a lot of the players on the board.

And neither is it the #30 pick. Don't make light of a #7 pick, we may never pick this high for a long time.
We already have a decent crop of young talent, and it's a 7th pick in a draft where the 3-10 players are probably closer to mid 1st picks in most normal drafts. So I think since we may not get a higher pick than this for a while, that's a good reason to go BPA since plenty of the specific skill/fit players will be easily gettable in later drafts in the late lottery and mid 1st.

Hold on there, shooting is a major category, but passing, rebounding and defending aren't? Let me know how it goes when your shooter can't get the ball. I think we should just move on.
No, they are, you just only attempted to explain how improvable certain aspects that go into rebounding are. Defense? Yeah, you can improve commitment, but look at Luke Walton to see that you can only go so far since so much depends on physical ability as well. There are very few examples of poor rebounders becoming good rebounders after early development years, I can't think of any examples personally. As far as passing goes, I don't know if true raw passing ability improves in players as much as it's just decision making and court awareness. I don't contend that these skills can't improve though, so you're kind of arguing against a straw man. I'm arguing that shooting improves more more commonly than these other categories.

We already have a decent crop of young talent, and it's a 7th pick in a draft where the 3-10 players are probably closer to mid 1st picks in most normal drafts. So I think since we may not get a higher pick than this for a while, that's a good reason to go BPA since plenty of the specific skill/fit players will be easily gettable in later drafts in the late lottery and mid 1st.
I don't disagree with you on that, and I've always been a proponent of BPA. I'm not trying to start a debate about BpA, the point isn't about drafting BPA, the point is that Burks is not ever going to be a good shooter anytime soon. Yes, many bad shooters have improved their jumpshots to a point where they can knock down wide open shots, but it takes years and years for them to get there. That doesn't mean Burks is not the BPA, just that don't expect him to knock down those jumpers consistently anytime soon. Which of course, does beg the question of how he fit with Tyreke, because he will have to play next to Evans at some point if the Kings draft him.

And for the record, I'm fine if the your answer is: just pick the best guy and figure out the rest later.

Last edited:
It may be a smokescreen, but GM Kahn says Minny will take Kanter at #2. DraftExpress has now bought it showing Kanter as #2 overall pick instead of Williams opening up Utah's #3 for a trade with somebody. The Jazz don't need Williams but also having #12 pick, how about Kings swap them their #7 (allowing Utah to take home state BYU hero Fredette) and in #3 spot Sac takes Williams, their perfect (or as good as it gets in this draft) SF stud. To make it have any chance of happening Kings also send anybody else (or two players, plus maybe future #1) except for Evans, Cousins, Thornton. Also, Minny is said to be set to fire Rambis and his staff so we could send them an entire coaching staff back in return if they wanted:)

Of course, if Utah thinks Fredette will be there at #12 it's a mute point (plus, with AK47 departing maybe they would take Williams - unless he's too much like Millsap for their taste).

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....idering-kanter-at-no-2-that-or-a-smokescreen/

Last edited:
I don't think so. I don't think he really fits defensively at either position at the moment, but I think he can grow into a PF defensively. SF? Not so much. He measured in shoes at about 6'8.5, weighed in at 250 lbs, and he has a 9'0 standing reach. I don't think he can really create off the dribble so well out on the perimeter. I see him more as mainly a 15 ft in player, using his explosiveness and finishing ability around the basket, and occasionally leaking out for the perimeter shot. You force him out onto the perimeter and I think you under-utilize his post game and essentially turn him into Marvin Williams. Plus, he's a 2-foot jumper, that fits much better down low.

I don't think so. I don't think he really fits defensively at either position at the moment, but I think he can grow into a PF defensively. SF? Not so much. He measured in shoes at about 6'8.5, weighed in at 250 lbs, and he has a 9'0 standing reach. I don't think he can really create off the dribble so well out on the perimeter. I see him more as mainly a 15 ft in player, using his explosiveness and finishing ability around the basket, and occasionally leaking out for the perimeter shot. You force him out onto the perimeter and I think you under-utilize his post game and essentially turn him into Marvin Williams. Plus, he's a 2-foot jumper, that fits much better down low.
Carmelo Anthony would like to have a word with you.

Not making a direct comparison, but a post-oriented SF with 3-pt shooting ability is not out of the realm of reality.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
In the last 48 hours alone I have heard:

#7 for Raymond Felton (Woj)

#7 for Tony Parker (Woj)

#7 + Francsico Garcia to the Cavs for the capspace (Ford)

#7 for Eric Maynor + ? (Ford)

Who knew the #7 pick in such a weak draft was such a hot comm

what other national rumors we have?

I would be seriously disappointed with Ray Felton for 7.

I read someone saying Rondo was in play for 7 (hahaha)

It was a "celtics news" twitter page.

It may be a smokescreen, but GM Kahn says Minny will take Kanter at #2. DraftExpress has now bought it showing Kanter as #2 overall pick instead of Williams opening up Utah's #3 for a trade with somebody. The Jazz don't need Williams but also having #12 pick, how about Kings swap them their #7 (allowing Utah to take home state BYU hero Fredette) and in #3 spot Sac takes Williams, their perfect (or as good as it gets in this draft) SF stud. To make it have any chance of happening Kings also send anybody else (or two players, plus maybe future #1) except for Evans, Cousins, Thornton. Also, Minny is said to be set to fire Rambis and his staff so we could send them an entire coaching staff back in return if they wanted:)

Of course, if Utah thinks Fredette will be there at #12 it's a mute point (plus, with AK47 departing maybe they would take Williams - unless he's too much like Millsap for their taste).

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....idering-kanter-at-no-2-that-or-a-smokescreen/
If D-Will is a SF, Utah would pick them up themselfs - it's thier biggest need.