With the 7th pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings select .....

Considering we're keeping the pick, who do you think we're going to take at #7. Players that are pretty high on my list right now are:

Kawhi Leonard
Jan Vesely
Bismack Biyombo

How likely is it, that Brandon Knight or Kemba are dropping down to #7?

Leonard would be my pick for now. You look at OKC and in their starting lineup you can only see 2 scorers, Durant and Westbrook. The 3 other men are solid defenders, Ibaka, Perkins, Thabo.

Leonard would bring what Thabo brings to OKC, given time at least. Or probably what a Gerald Wallace would bring on this team on this team at most.

so long as we don't trade the pick... for iguodala or granger... we lose any leverage of signing thornton and dally for the contracts that they want and at the sametime reasonable...

Im not so sold on iguodala and granger.. and I don't believe this is a weak draft... that was said in tyrekes draft right? (that outside griffin and rubio everything else was a crapshoot)

Biyombo
Kanter
Leonard
Burks
btw what are the chances of kanter dropping to 7? I would be worried of snagging the 7th if our GM wasn't good at picking talent.. thankfully GP is our GM. we didn't get the top pick in the last two drafts but we ran away with some decent players...

if we pick bismark biyombo its going to be because dally would sign with the knicks. or were getting rid of whiteside. he's an intriguing talent indeed, athletic, but the 6foot9 height for a center/PF... the way ibaka is playing for the thunder is helping bismark boost his stock, well also his playing :D

im hoping other players go nuts on the combine... im pretty sure kanter will be gone by 4th no way the cavs miss on them they don't have a darn center

born in 92... so thats around 18 to 19 years old.... I don't know about him really i just heard of him all of a sudden just a few weeks ago...

How old is Biyombo.... Really?
I read somewhere (might have been draftexpress) that according to some bone tests and scans that he did when he got to spain, he is as old as he says he is! It also says that he is happy to share those scans with the teams and some teams are already assessing them! So he probably is 19!

if we pick bismark biyombo its going to be because dally would sign with the knicks. or were getting rid of whiteside. he's an intriguing talent indeed, athletic, but the 6foot9 height for a center/PF... the way ibaka is playing for the thunder is helping bismark boost his stock, well also his playing :D

im hoping other players go nuts on the combine... im pretty sure kanter will be gone by 4th no way the cavs miss on them they don't have a darn center
If we draft him its because we think he will add something to this team going forward!

Ben Wallace is 6'9 also but this dude has 7'7 wingspan and is very athletic so his lengtt is certainly more than adequate for PF/C! Then if he is 18 or 19 he might grow an inch :D

You can never have excess of big guys! If anything I would think that it would be great to have Dally as his mentor and Whiteside has not proven a thing and counting on his as a certainty is a bit premature

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
7 is probably exactly where kemba walker will fall. i would have to take the man who is arguably the best pg in the draft.
I really hope he doesn't. I don't want him on the Kings. A scorer at best, I don't think he's anywhere near the 6ft that he's listed as. I've seen quite a few Big East games. I do like that he's much more seasoned than anyone else, and would (should) be ready to contribute right away.

If we draft him its because we think he will add something to this team going forward!

Ben Wallace is 6'9 also but this dude has 7'7 wingspan and is very athletic so his lengtt is certainly more than adequate for PF/C! Then if he is 18 or 19 he might grow an inch :D

You can never have excess of big guys! If anything I would think that it would be great to have Dally as his mentor and Whiteside has not proven a thing and counting on his as a certainty is a bit premature
oh right! haha i forgot about big ben!!! its because the likes of Kenny Thomas, Shelden williams, David west 6"9 forwards got me scared picking biyombo... 7'7 wingspan is huge indeed!

if we do pick him were going to be a terror on the boards in the future... with Cousins, Biyombo and Whiteside.. if they all turn out awesome..

Kemba fits. He is a winner and a guy who makes plays. I prefer Knight and he could slip, but prob not, Watch out for Jordan Hamilton. 7 will produce a player that will contribute.

Let's wait for the measurement at the combine before we talk about size and wingspan ;) Which day of the combine are the players measured? The combine is starting today, isn't it?

Pretty sure Bismack was already measured at some official event--not sure if it was Europe or the Nike summit or whatever. But those #s are generally accepted as legit.

Pretty sure Bismack was already measured at some official event--not sure if it was Europe or the Nike summit or whatever. But those #s are generally accepted as legit.
I wasn't talking about Biyombo solely. Actually I just found out that the European guys except Kanter won't be there. Especially the measurements of Kemba will be interesting. But right now watching Barea I'm not much concerned about smaller point guards.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really enjoyed watching Kemba Walker play at UConn but I'm surprised by the number of people that want him on the Kings.

Tyreke isn't a true PG and many will argue that he's not a PG at all and while I disagree, I can understand that. But does anyone disagree that we are looking to he and Cousins to be the building blocks for this team? If so, why would you take the ball out of his hands, take away his physical advantage against smaller guards, reduce his ability to penetrate at will and hand the reins over to a diminutive rookie PG who took 18 shots a game in college and has a shaky outside shot while ALSO pushing Thornton to the bench to do so?

I can see Walker as a change of pace third or fourth guard but that seems like a bit of a waste of his talents when other positions could be addressed. Again, I like Walker and want to watch him in the NBA, just not on the Kings. Same things with Kyrie Irving, who got the vast majority of his offense on isolation plays and pick & rolls. Tyreke isn't a traditional PG but he is most effective with the ball in his hands and I'd keep it that way.

In this draft I'd only assume that Irving and Williams will definitely be gone before our pick. So right now I'd stack my board this way:

Leonard
Kantner
Knight
Hamilton
Biyombo
Vesely
Valanciunas
Walker
Motiejunas
Fredette

This list would very obviously change since I can't say I've watched any of the international prospects a whole lot. I've seen the same all-star game that Biyombo made a splash in just like everyone else and obviously no one has seen Kantner in real competition for over a year.

I'm super high on Leonard at the moment. I think he has the mechanics and drive to become a solid spot up shooter and brings pretty much everything else we want at the SF spot right now. I also like Jordan Hamilton a fair amount. Kantner in some ways would be like having a second Demarcus on the floor which is both good and bad. Knight would eventually be a solid upgrade over Beno. Again, very good talent but perhaps not the best use of the pick when there's a hole at SF right now. But if Petrie were to deal Casspi (and perhaps a future protected pick) for Iguodala, resign Dalembert and Thornton and draft for bench depth (Knight, Hamilton, Biyombo, Valanciunas, Motiejnas etc) I'd be very happy with this offseason.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
One scenario would be for the Kings to sign Iggy, then not sign Dalembert (because it just wouldn't work with three poor outside shooters), then draft Thompson or Biyombo as a project for a shot blocking threat to replace Dalembert (he would compete with Whiteside, similar to the Greene/Casspi dual). Jason Thompson would take over for Dalembert. He can shoot 18 footers very consistently and open the floor for Iggy and Tyreke. In that situation you only have two bad outside shooters (Tyreke and Iggy) on the floor instead of three.

Or, if they can't get or don't want Iggy, then spend the FA $ in a trade to get a 3 who can consistently shoot from the outside, but who doesn't have the defensive skills of an Iggy. Who that is, I have no idea. Then resign Dalembert. Then you still only have two guys who can't open up the floor - Tyreke and Dalembert. If they get very fortunate and Knight or Kemba drop in their lap, then they take one of those guys. If not then they really don't want that pick and use it as a throw-away in a trade.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I really enjoyed watching Kemba Walker play at UConn but I'm surprised by the number of people that want him on the Kings.

Tyreke isn't a true PG and many will argue that he's not a PG at all and while I disagree, I can understand that. But does anyone disagree that we are looking to he and Cousins to be the building blocks for this team? If so, why would you take the ball out of his hands, take away his physical advantage against smaller guards, reduce his ability to penetrate at will and hand the reins over to a diminutive rookie PG who took 18 shots a game in college and has a shaky outside shot while ALSO pushing Thornton to the bench to do so?

I can see Walker as a change of pace third or fourth guard but that seems like a bit of a waste of his talents when other positions could be addressed. Again, I like Walker and want to watch him in the NBA, just not on the Kings. Same things with Kyrie Irving, who got the vast majority of his offense on isolation plays and pick & rolls. Tyreke isn't a traditional PG but he is most effective with the ball in his hands and I'd keep it that way.

In this draft I'd only assume that Irving and Williams will definitely be gone before our pick. So right now I'd stack my board this way:

Leonard
Kantner
Knight
Hamilton
Biyombo
Vesely
Valanciunas
Walker
Motiejunas
Fredette

This list would very obviously change since I can't say I've watched any of the international prospects a whole lot. I've seen the same all-star game that Biyombo made a splash in just like everyone else and obviously no one has seen Kantner in real competition for over a year.

I'm super high on Leonard at the moment. I think he has the mechanics and drive to become a solid spot up shooter and brings pretty much everything else we want at the SF spot right now. I also like Jordan Hamilton a fair amount. Kantner in some ways would be like having a second Demarcus on the floor which is both good and bad. Knight would eventually be a solid upgrade over Beno. Again, very good talent but perhaps not the best use of the pick when there's a hole at SF right now. But if Petrie were to deal Casspi (and perhaps a future protected pick) for Iguodala, resign Dalembert and Thornton and draft for bench depth (Knight, Hamilton, Biyombo, Valanciunas, Motiejnas etc) I'd be very happy with this offseason.
Kemba works well with or without the ball. He cuts well without the ball. He uses screens with or without the ball. In that regard, he's more well rounded than Tyreke. I think he can work with any type of guard on the offensive end, and with Tyreke he could take the pressure off of him in guarding the smaller ultra quick guards.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
What sucks is, they could have had last year's Landry Fields but took Whiteside instead, who so far at least, is looking like bust city.
What? We knew that Whiteside was a project coming in, and halfway through the season he got hurt. Can't we actually let a guy begin to creep towards his potential before we call him a bust?

7. So many possibilities, wow. Minny/Kahn may even be open to trading the #2 pick.

I agree with Funky about Walker, as well as Irving. Anybody else not really digging using the #1 pick on Irving (if the Kings had the 1)? It just wasn't sitting right with me, but we'll see.

I think I'd have to group the players into categories right now (with some overlap):

Droppers: Any of the projected top 5 falling to the Kings, for now let's say Irving, Williams, Kanter, Knight, Vesley.

Defenders: Biyombo, T Thompson, Singleton, Faried.

International: Valanciunas, Vesely, Motiejunas, Biyombo

Shooters: Fredette, Klay Thompson, Hamilton

SF: Vesely, Singleton, Leonard, Honeycutt, Hamilton

PG: Knight, Walker

That's a lot of players in play, and I think the Kings will take a serious look at all of these guys. To me, Leonard or Biyombo makes the most sense at this point. I'd guess Vesely is pretty high on Petrie's list as well, but may be gone.

#7 is an interesting spot because there is always a team that would like to move up to guarantee they get their guy, and I could see a few teams freaking out of Biyombo at this spot. Kings would do well to trade the pick if they can get back in the 12-18 range to pick up a guy like Fredette or Faried. I'm really high on Faried in this draft, I think his legacy will be a top 5 player from this group.

Biggest dark horse is Jonas Valanciunas - DX is high on him, but I haven't seen anything to exciting about him yet.

I'm also not going to get too focused on a SF because I think that's where the Kings will try make a splash via trade or free agency. I think this years pick will be more of a talent pick - which is why Walker might be the pick - or a trade piece.

btw what are the chances of kanter dropping to 7? I would be worried of snagging the 7th if our GM wasn't good at picking talent.. thankfully GP is our GM. we didn't get the top pick in the last two drafts but we ran away with some decent players...
It would take a lot for Kanter to drop at the moment. His stock is about as high as it can get right now.

He'll probly go at #4 with Clevelands second pick. What a haul for the Cavs in a bad draft .. Irving and Kanter is a solid solid solid foundation.

I suggested this in another thread, but right now Cleveland is in the "Acquire young talent" phase we were in a few years ago. They are going for quantity now while we are going for quality. There is a chance the Cavs will fall in love with Biyumbo, and if he is there when we pick we could swing Biyumbo (our pick) and Casspi over to the Cavs for Kanter. They could use a nice young small forward and Omri could be thier guy.

Some may think its too high a price, but I'd do it. If everything goes according to plan, we'll have a new starting SF next year (Prince, AK, Iggy, ect ..) and Donte is a fine backup. No real need for Casspi with that rotation, and adding Kanter will help us next season and beyond.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
7. So many possibilities, wow. Minny/Kahn may even be open to trading the #2 pick.

I agree with Funky about Walker, as well as Irving. Anybody else not really digging using the #1 pick on Irving (if the Kings had the 1)? It just wasn't sitting right with me, but we'll see.

I think I'd have to group the players into categories right now (with some overlap):

Droppers: Any of the projected top 5 falling to the Kings, for now let's say Irving, Williams, Kanter, Knight, Vesley.

Defenders: Biyombo, T Thompson, Singleton, Faried.

International: Valanciunas, Vesely, Motiejunas, Biyombo

Shooters: Fredette, Klay Thompson, Hamilton

SF: Vesely, Singleton, Leonard, Honeycutt, Hamilton

PG: Knight, Walker

That's a lot of players in play, and I think the Kings will take a serious look at all of these guys. To me, Leonard or Biyombo makes the most sense at this point. I'd guess Vesely is pretty high on Petrie's list as well, but may be gone.

#7 is an interesting spot because there is always a team that would like to move up to guarantee they get their guy, and I could see a few teams freaking out of Biyombo at this spot. Kings would do well to trade the pick if they can get back in the 12-18 range to pick up a guy like Fredette or Faried. I'm really high on Faried in this draft, I think his legacy will be a top 5 player from this group.

Biggest dark horse is Jonas Valanciunas - DX is high on him, but I haven't seen anything to exciting about him yet.

I'm also not going to get too focused on a SF because I think that's where the Kings will try make a splash via trade or free agency. I think this years pick will be more of a talent pick - which is why Walker might be the pick - or a trade piece.
Some good points there. I think Irving will be a good PG in the NBA but I never saw him as a star. In fact, I think Walker will be the best PG from this draft when all is said and done.

I like Faried a lot too. It's hard to miss on hard working energy guys. At worst they are great bench players and at best they round out their game to become frontline guys. Leonard and Faried both fall into that category for me. I probably wouldn't take him at 7 but if the Kings traded down then absolutely.

Valanciunas does nothing for me. In everything I've watched he looks long and fairly skilled but doesn't ever dominate, doesn't do any one thing well and I don't see him being a good compliment for Cousins.

What? We knew that Whiteside was a project coming in, and halfway through the season he got hurt. Can't we actually let a guy begin to creep towards his potential before we call him a bust?
I didn't say he was a bust yet, just that he's looking like one. Time will tell if he is or not. Sure he was a project, but I don't think they knew he was going to be so raw that he wouldn't even be able to get garbage NBA minutes on the Kings, of all teams. And if they did, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me why they drafted him. Then there's the reports about his poor attitude, which if true, aren't very encouraging for a guy who has as much work to do as he does.

I would like an athletic defender SF who can knock down open shots if need to. But honestly, at number 7 you just take whoever is best player available.