Will we call up Queta?

Queta had a monster game vs Santa Cruz with 38 pts and 18 rebounds. Do you see a scenario before the all star break we bring him up to help in the middle, or at all?

I'd imagine that one of our current bigs either have to:

1. Get injured (which I am not wishing happens to anyone, by the way)

OR

2. Falls off of the face of this earth, and forgets how to play basketball (which, too, I am not wishing happens to anyone)

SLAB

Hall of Famer

OR

2. Falls off of the face of this earth, and forgets how to play basketball (which, too, I am not wishing happens to anyone)
I mean, Richaun and Len are already at level 2 and Metu is just Metu. I’d rather see Queta than all of them at this point.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I mean, Richaun and Len are already at level 2 and Metu is just Metu. I’d rather see Queta than all of them at this point.
I tend to agree with you. The Kings run the ball through Sabonis, and they can't really do that with any of our backup centers, and I'm including Metu in that group. Queta on the other hand as shown the ability to handle the ball at the top of the circle and make good decisions. I watched that game against the Warriors G-League team, and Queta looked like a man amongst boys in that game. The problem is the log jam ahead of him on the parent club.

If Queta starts putting up more games like this last on, they may not be able to ignore him for much longer. Unlike Holmes, he has the size to match up against the bigger centers in the league. Steven Adams etc. He's a much better athlete than Len, and he can shoot the three a little, and he's improving in that area. The biggest improvement I've seen is his ballhandling. He really impressed me on a couple of plays where he took the opposition off the dribble with a behind the back and through his legs move to get to the basket from the top of the circle. He's also an impressive screener. I'd say give him a shot!

I'd like to see him do a bit more in the G League first. He does some really impressive things that not many big men his size can do, but he also still doesn't do the basics like box out on rebounds. I can see him rebounding like an SF in the NBA.

He gets blown by easily by drivers but he has the quickness and length to catch up and block the shot. I'm just not sure if that's going to transfer or not in the NBA.

The numbers he put up against Wiseman were huge. He's a very intriguing prospect but I don't think he's a difference maker on the NBA roster right now. I'd like to see the season play out a little more before giving him minutes.

One issue I see is that Holmes and Len are veterans that wont/don't deserve to play for Stockton. So unless one of them are traded or Len gets bought out, I don't see us adding a big at the expense of a wing.

Might as well call Queta up... I'm of the firm belief that defense is just not in this years kings DNA. It's not that they don't want to get better on defense, they just don't have the ability to. We need defensive players.

At his age, I think he's ready. If not now, then spending eternity in the G-league isn't going to help.
They need to clear the way for him first. Alex Len has played well for the Kings in both stints that he's played for the team. He's just as capable of that now, if given an opportunity. Do we have reason to believe that Queta is a better NBA player than Len right now? I sure wouldn't bet on that

He completely showed up James Wiseman in this game too.

I'm back on the Queta hypetrain..

Not sure if I see the urgency in getting him on the team to sit and mostly play garbage minutes. I feel like his time will come though and the Kings have done a pretty good job identifying and developing Queta.

I don't think the Kings will call up Queta until they can move Holmes in a trade. No need to further bury Holmes down the bench. I can see the Kings bringing Queta up after the trade deadline.

I don't think the Kings will call up Queta until they can move Holmes in a trade. No need to further bury Holmes down the bench. I can see the Kings bringing Queta up after the trade deadline.
I'm not sure there's much of a market for Holmes at the moment.

But it may also be the case that the Kings let Queta develop this season and sign him as a backup for next season and possibly beyond.

After this year Len and Metu are both FAs. If Holmes IS traded, there'd be no one signed beyond this year that could backup Sabonis.

When you're buried you're buried. 3 feet of dirt might as well be 30 feet and Holmes IS buried right now haha. No doubt about that one. The Kings could use that size at C. Call Queta up and play the man.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can certainly see both sides of the argument. There's benefit for him to stay in Stockton and get serious minutes on the floor, instead of collecting dust sitting on the bench with the parent club. The only way being brought up would make sense is if he leaps over everyone else and is handed the backup center role, and I doubt that's going to happen.

So he probably won't get his shot until next season, unless there's some injuries. Metu has been playing well of late, and his trade stock may have risen as a result. So who knows, maybe a slot will open up for Queta. I watched Cleveland's G-league team play the other night to see Sam Merrill play. There was no doubt that Merrill was the best player on either team that night. I still think the Kings should have found a way to keep him. He's an outstanding shooter, and I was impressed with his defense in that game. He also ran the point at times. Hopefully the Kings are monitoring his play.

I can certainly see both sides of the argument. There's benefit for him to stay in Stockton and get serious minutes on the floor, instead of collecting dust sitting on the bench with the parent club. The only way being brought up would make sense is if he leaps over everyone else and is handed the backup center role, and I doubt that's going to happen.

So he probably won't get his shot until next season, unless there's some injuries. Metu has been playing well of late, and his trade stock may have risen as a result. So who knows, maybe a slot will open up for Queta. I watched Cleveland's G-league team play the other night to see Sam Merrill play. There was no doubt that Merrill was the best player on either team that night. I still think the Kings should have found a way to keep him. He's an outstanding shooter, and I was impressed with his defense in that game. He also ran the point at times. Hopefully the Kings are monitoring his play.
Is Merrill available if we make a trade that opens a roster spot? Or is he on a 2-way with Cleveland? (in the odd event we move Davion)

Holmes trade value is gone and him sitting on bench isn't ever going to help that. We need size and defense. Len is not the future I don't even know why he was signed. Personally I'd have rather had Basemore stay than 3 centers and Quinta waiting. This reminds me of another center we let rot in g league who became a beast when he got time with heat

There's time! Centers develop at a slower pace than the other positions. Dikembe Mutombo was 25 years old when he was drafted!
yeah leave him down for the year. Traveling commercial at that size is hard but letting him mature another year before subjecting his joints and tendons to the rigors of the NBA is a good thing for his health and career longevity.

He can continue to mature his game and his body. My son is only 6’6” 220 and he clearly developed later than others. I can’t imagine a kid Queeta’s size.

Holmes trade value is gone and him sitting on bench isn't ever going to help that. We need size and defense. Len is not the future I don't even know why he was signed. Personally I'd have rather had Basemore stay than 3 centers and Quinta waiting. This reminds me of another center we let rot in g league who became a beast when he got time with heat
There's a pretty substantial gap between Hassan being waived by the Kings and him breaking out in Miami. Dude couldn't even stick in the g league and ended up overseas playing in Lebanon and China for a couple years. Then bounced around summer league/training camp/g league rosters for another year before Miami gave him a shot. The situation with Queta isn't even close to being the same.

I'm still trying to figure who is Quinta? Did we sign a hotel chain?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
There's a pretty substantial gap between Hassan being waived by the Kings and him breaking out in Miami. Dude couldn't even stick in the g league and ended up overseas playing in Lebanon and China for a couple years. Then bounced around summer league/training camp/g league rosters for another year before Miami gave him a shot. The situation with Queta isn't even close to being the same.
I'm fairly certain that the Hassan Whiteside story includes a midnight meeting at an unmarked crossroads in Louisiana with Ol Scratch.

Last edited:
One issue I see is that Holmes and Len are veterans that wont/don't deserve to play for Stockton. So unless one of them are traded or Len gets bought out, I don't see us adding a big at the expense of a wing.
Love Holmes, but I’d like to see him get traded somewhere he can play. The Pacers perhaps? I bet Hali could bring him back to his old self…

OR

Or a trade that ships out big man or two.

Holmes has effectively fallen off the face of this earth. Metu is better and RH can't even get run with Trey out sick. We could be looking at having to include a pick in any trade just to get off his deal.

Holmes has effectively fallen off the face of this earth. Metu is better and RH can't even get run with Trey out sick. We could be looking at having to include a pick in any trade just to get off his deal.
I wouldn’t be all doom and gloom about Holmes. There is still a lot of season left and he might figure it out. Plus - there are a lot of bad contracts in the NBA and other teams are looking to get off their guys as well.