Who Should We Sign? (2023 Off-Season)

Assuming they would agree to sign here, which SF/PF would be your top choice in free agency?

• Cam Johnson

• Dillon Brooks

• Grant Williams

• Jae Crowder

• Jalen McDaniels

• Jerami Grant

• Josh Hart

• Kyle Kuzma

• PJ Washington

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This was on Heavy.com

A Darkhorse for Draymond? Sacramento Kings

Ah, but there is a darkhorse in the Draymond situation—the Sacramento Kings.

If Green and his agents want to keep up some pressure on the Warriors for a new contract, Sacramento is the best bet. The Kings tried to find a taker for backup center Richaun Holmes at the deadline, and according to sources around the league, creating enough space to add Green in the summer was one of the end goals. Holmes is still on board, but the Kings are expected to look to dump his contract again in the offseason, giving the team space to add a major free agent to what is (finally) an up-and-coming team.

Sacramento has a trove of second-round picks it could attach to Holmes to get his two years and $24 million off the books. That would give the Kings plenty of room to add Green, and reunite him with head coach Mike Brown, a former Warriors assistant.

“That is the team to watch for me,” the West exec said. “They’re gonna make the playoffs and they’re gonna start thinking about bigger things, about guys who can add some toughness and make that part of the culture. You have Vivek (Ranadive, the Kings owner and former Warriors investory) there and he’s a Warriors guy. Mike Brown, Draymond is his kind of guy. He would make (De’Aaron) Fox and (Domantas) Sabonis that much better. If you want to go from a playoff team to being a team that, OK, we’re going to get to the second round, to the conference finals, Draymond is a fit there for them.”

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I doubt we will get Green but if it was a S&T for Holmes I don't think I would mind. Might even be good for Holmes since he wouldn't have to move far.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Draymond Green at all, personally, but man, if Kings fans hated watching DeMarcus Cousins' complain on the court, Draymond is going to be an interesting pill for some to swallow.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Draymond Green at all, personally, but man, if Kings fans hated watching DeMarcus Cousins' complain on the court, Draymond is going to be an interesting pill for some to swallow.
yeh I don’t enjoy watching complainers but could tolerate it if it meant taking that next step.

If we want to keep it simple and stay a bit patient, perhaps we do the following during the 2023 offseason:
  1. Trade Richaun Holmes and 2nd round picks for pure cap space
  2. Waive our bird rights/cap holds to Harrison Barnes, Terence Davis, Alex Len, Chimezie Metu, & Matthew Dellavedova
  3. Waive PJ Dozier's unguaranteed contract
This leaves us with ~$31.9 mil in cap space with the following players under contract (or cap hold):

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Murray / Edwards
PF - Lyles (cap hold)
C - Sabonis
2023 Picks - SAC 1st

With that ~$31.9 mil in cap space, I'd look to try and resign Harrison Barnes (his cap hold is $27.5 mil so it makes sense to waive the bird rights since I can't see him making close that that much on his new contract) and sign one of Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, or Grant Williams. For example, if we resign Barnes to a $60 mil/4 year deal, the first year of his contract would be $13.35 mil leaving us ~$19.6 mil in cap space. That would allow us to offer up to a $84.3 mil/4 year contract to one of Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, or Grant Williams (1st year salary of $19.6 mil with 5% raises each year).

After the cap space is used up, you'd be able to go over the cap and resign Lyles (since we have his cap hold in place) and we could use our MLE on a backup C (Mason Plumlee, Naz Reid, Nerlens Noel, Mo Bamba, etc.). We'd fill out the remaining roster spots with minimum contracts and go into next season with the following roster:

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Johnson / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Murray / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Plumlee
2023 Picks - SAC 1st

I think that's an improved roster over what we have today and hopefully helps the team take another step in the right direction. In the 2024 offseason, our 2024 1st hopefully conveys to ATL (only top 14 protected) which frees up all of our future 1st round picks to explore upgrading the roster further via trade. We'd have the following "young" assets to use in a trade:
  • De'Aaron Fox
  • Davion Mitchell
  • Kevin Huerter
  • Malik Monk (resigned)
  • Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, or Grant Williams
  • Kessler Edwards (resigned)
  • Keegan Murray
  • Domantas Sabonis (resigned)
  • 2025 SAC 1st
  • 2026 SAC 1st Pick Swap
  • 2027 SAC 1st
  • 2028 SAC 1st Pick Swap
  • 2029 SAC 1st
  • 2030 SAC 1st Pick Swap
  • 2031 SAC 1st

For instance, if Keegan doesn't look to be developing into that 3rd star we may need to become a championship level team, perhaps we use some of the assets listed above to bring in a player of that caliber.

For me it wasn't the complaining as much as it was the complaining while standing on the other side of the court while his teammates played 4 on 5.

Then again maybe he was just being a company man since that's what Vivek wanted.

If we want to keep it simple and stay a bit patient, perhaps we do the following during the 2023 offseason:
  1. Trade Richaun Holmes and 2nd round picks for pure cap space
  2. Waive our bird rights/cap holds to Harrison Barnes, Terence Davis, Alex Len, Chimezie Metu, & Matthew Dellavedova
  3. Waive PJ Dozier's unguaranteed contract
This leaves us with ~$31.9 mil in cap space with the following players under contract (or cap hold):

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Murray / Edwards
PF - Lyles (cap hold)
C - Sabonis
2023 Picks - SAC 1st

With that ~$31.9 mil in cap space, I'd look to try and resign Harrison Barnes (his cap hold is $27.5 mil so it makes sense to waive the bird rights since I can't see him making close that that much on his new contract) and sign one of Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, or Grant Williams. For example, if we resign Barnes to a $60 mil/4 year deal, the first year of his contract would be $13.35 mil leaving us ~$19.6 mil in cap space. That would allow us to offer up to a $84.3 mil/4 year contract to one of Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, or Grant Williams (1st year salary of $19.6 mil with 5% raises each year).

After the cap space is used up, you'd be able to go over the cap and resign Lyles (since we have his cap hold in place) and we could use our MLE on a backup C (Mason Plumlee, Naz Reid, Nerlens Noel, Mo Bamba, etc.). We'd fill out the remaining roster spots with minimum contracts and go into next season with the following roster:

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Johnson / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Murray / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Plumlee
2023 Picks - SAC 1st

I think that's an improved roster over what we have today and hopefully helps the team take another step in the right direction. In the 2024 offseason, our 2024 1st hopefully conveys to ATL (only top 14 protected) which frees up all of our future 1st round picks to explore upgrading the roster further via trade. We'd have the following "young" assets to use in a trade:
  • De'Aaron Fox
  • Davion Mitchell
  • Kevin Huerter
  • Malik Monk (resigned)
  • Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, or Grant Williams
  • Kessler Edwards (resigned)
  • Keegan Murray
  • Domantas Sabonis (resigned)
  • 2025 SAC 1st
  • 2026 SAC 1st Pick Swap
  • 2027 SAC 1st
  • 2028 SAC 1st Pick Swap
  • 2029 SAC 1st
  • 2030 SAC 1st Pick Swap
  • 2031 SAC 1st

For instance, if Keegan doesn't look to be developing into that 3rd star we may need to become a championship level team, perhaps we use some of the assets listed above to bring in a player of that caliber.
The playoffs will tell it but Monte has to at least consider his options as some of the last big names that have been dangled out there for a few years might be available. If Monte can get a 3rd all star now before his cap is basically cemented on Fox and Sabonis then he can start building a team of tough 3 and D players around it and Brown won't have to stagger Fox and Domas as much.

Another option is something I proposed in another thread...trading for Royce O'Neale.

BKN Gets: Richaun Holmes, Davion Mitchell, & Future 2nd (Top 55 Protected)
BKN Gives: Royce O'Neale & Patty Mills

Team X Gets: Patty Mills
Team X Gives: Future 2nd (Top 55 Protected)

SAC Gets: Royce O'Neale
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes & Davion Mitchell

After doing this trade, we'd have ~$30.9 mil in cap space with the following players under contract:

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - O'Neale / Huerter
SF - Murray / Edwards
PF -
C - Sabonis
2023 Picks - SAC 1st / IND 2nd / SAC 2nd

If we can resign Barnes to a $60 mil/4 year contract (w/ 8% raises) we'd have ~$17.6 mil in cap space which would allow us to offer a FA a $75.7 mil/4 year contract ($18.9 mil per year average). I think that might be enough to steal someone like PJ Washington or Grant Williams. If we do sign one of those guys, and then use our MLE on a FA backup C (Plumlee, Noel, Reid, Bamba, etc.), we could have a rotation of:

PG - Fox (32 min) / Monk (16 min)
SG - O'Neale (26 min) / Monk (10 min) / Huerter (12 min)
SF - Murray (30 min) / Huerter (14 min) / Barnes (4 min)
PF - Washington or Williams (26 min) / Barnes (22 min)
C - Sabonis (32 min) / Plumlee (16 min)

This would give us 3 good defenders with length between Fox & Sabonis (hopefully improving our bottom tier defense). Offensively, you'd still have excellent spacing around Fox & Sabonis considering O'Neale, Murray, and Washington/Williams are all good/great shooters (keeping them in the top tier offensively). The bench would be by far the best in the league (Monk, Huerter, Barnes, and Plumlee/Reid/Noel/Bamba). That's three legitimate 6th man of the year candidates on one team who could probably be quality starters for many teams. Then you also have Edwards, 2023 SAC 1st, 2023 IND 2nd, and 2023 SAC 2nd as young bench talent to develop in the background.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I might be the only one in his fan club at the moment, but I still think this is the guy we should get and we just figure out the offensive fit in time:

https://youtube.com/shorts/1PBFjXgRiio?feature=share

Draymond is too old/volatile. Cam Johnson, Grant Williams, and Kyle Kuzma aren't going to help our atrocious interior defense. PJ Washington could be a good fit but I don't think he's even close to Okongwu as a defender. My impression of Jerami Grant since he got to Portland at least is that he seems like a selfish player who hunts his own shot too much, but maybe I'm wrong about that. What do people here think about Saddiq Bey? Atlanta seems likely to let him leave. I thought he was a good defender in college but that part of his game hasn't translated as well as his shooting.

I might be the only one in his fan club at the moment, but I still think this is the guy we should get and we just figure out the offensive fit in time:

Draymond is too old/volatile. Cam Johnson, Grant Williams, and Kyle Kuzma aren't going to help our atrocious interior defense. PJ Washington could be a good fit but I don't think he's even close to Okongwu as a defender. My impression of Jerami Grant since he got to Portland at least is that he seems like a selfish player who hunts his own shot too much, but maybe I'm wrong about that. What do people here think about Saddiq Bey? Atlanta seems likely to let him leave. I thought he was a good defender in college but that part of his game hasn't translated as well as his shooting.
I’m a huge fan of Onyeka but I just don’t see Atlanta letting him go. Collins might finally get traded in the off-season and Capela has just two years left on his deal which will open up a front court starting position for Okongwu

You’re not the only fan of Okongwu. He’s an exceptional young talent. There is just disagreement with the fit on this roster considering we have Sabonis at C and Okongwu has not shown to be any type of floor spacer so far in his career. He’s an excellent fit on one side of the ball and an awful fit on the other side.

Cam Johnson and Grant Williams are both good/solid defenders in my book and could help improve the defense. Shotblocking isn’t the only way to improve the interior defense. Preventing penetration and making smart/timely rotations is a way to help. I think both guys can help in that department.

As you alluded to, Washington does have more shotblocking prowess but you’re right that he’s not the defender Okongwu is. If he was, we’d be talking about a Jaren Jackson Jr. level player who can be a menace on the defensive side while also being able to space the floor. Obviously, those types of players are few and far between.

Agree on Grant. His motivations worry me, and I wouldn’t feel good about adding someone like that to our chemistry/locker room.

Saddiq Bey hasn’t been very good defensively so far (which has surprised me as I thought he would be a good defender coming out of college). I would think he’d be a defensive downgrade over both Murray and Barnes.

I’m a huge fan of Onyeka but I just don’t see Atlanta letting him go. Collins might finally get traded in the off-season and Capela has just two years left on his deal which will open up a front court starting position for Okongwu
Yeah agree. I would think ATL would be looking to move on from Capella and make Okongwu their long term C since he’s on the same timeline as much of their young core.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah agree. I would think ATL would be looking to move on from Capella and make Okongwu their long term C since he’s on the same timeline as much of their young core.
Right, but I addressed this already in my first post in this thread. If you look at Atlanta's salary cap, I don't see any way they can afford to keep Okongwu (who is a restricted free agent next summer) unless they manage to move 2 of these guys in the next year: John Collins (3 years and $78 million remaining), Clint Capela (2 years and $43 million remaining), and DeAndre Hunter (4 years and $90 million remaining). Who's taking these guys at those salaries? Even if they do manage to do that they will also have All-Star DeJounte Murray hitting free agency the same summer as Okongwu.

And regarding the other part, I think when you're buying in on a 22 year old player it's pretty short-sighted to write them off because they're not presently much of a shooter. Al Horford made 10 three point shots combined over the first 7 years of his career. He currently has 754 made three point shots in the NBA with a career average of 37.6%. Brook Lopez made only 3 three point shots combined over the first 8 years of his career. He currently has 788 made three point shots in the NBA with a career average of 34.6%. Okongwu can certainly grow into being at least a spot-up shooter later in his career like those players have. As I pointed out before, he's shooting 78% from the free throw line this year so it's not like this is an impossible projection that he might become a decent shooter at some point in the next 5 years if he's on a team where that is a point of emphasis. I also think it would help us tremendously to have a gifted offensive rebounder on the floor and a player who attracts double-teams if he catches the ball close to the basket since Sabonis is often setting up dribble hand-offs at or near the arc.

Last edited:
Atlanta is an interesting to watch as they have a surplus of 3/4s. Hunter, Collins, Bey, AJ Griffin and Jalen Johnson. I haven’t watched them at all this year but Jalen has been racking up blocks and assists in the last stretch of the season. At least two of those guys probably won’t be on the team long term

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I think we should forgo signing a “big” FA this off-season. I’m not sold on the current FA class really giving us an impactful boost over someone like Barnes (I feel most confident about Johnson but he’ll be pretty pricey to try and lure away from BKN)

If we move/let go of the following players ahead/during the 2024 off-season…
  • Dellevadova
  • Monk
  • Davis
  • Dozier
  • Barnes
  • Lyles
  • Metu
  • Len
  • Holmes

…we’d have ~$40.97 mil cap space with the following players under contract:

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter
SF - Murray / Edwards
PF -
C - Sabonis
Picks - 2023 SAC 1st

A max contract for a player with 6 or less seasons would be $35.75 mil and a max contract for a player with 7-9 seasons would be $42.9 mil. Technically, we’re a couple mil shy of this max but we could technically move Edwards and/or 2023 SAC 1st to get there.

So that brings us to the 2024 FA class:
  1. Jaylen Brown (UFA)
  2. Pascal Siakam (UFA)
  3. OG Anunoby (UFA)
  4. Anthony Edwards (RFA)
  5. Devin Vassell (RFA)
  6. Jaden McDaniels (RFA)
  7. Aleksej Pokusevski (RFA)
  8. Patrick Williams (RFA)
  9. Onyeka Okongwu (RFA) - for hrdboild

I feel much better about the impact and fit of many of these players compared to the 2023 FA class

Last edited:
So at the end of the regular season, I can see 2 players that would fit with Fox, Sabonis and Murray better than others.

- Cam Johnson (make an offer that the Nets will not match.)
- De'Anthony Melton (trade Malik Monk + what? for him. His defense is amazing and he's a nice alternative to Huerter at SG.)

Then figure out how to trade for Jericho Sims from the Knicks. He can be real useful playing 20mins at C, and offers the coach a different approach compared to Sabonis. He is a good defender, rebounder and rim-roller.

G: Fox, Davion
G: Melton, Huerter
F: Murray, Barnes or ?
F: Johnson, Lyles
C: Sabonis, Sims, Len or Metu?

Cam plays a lot like Murray. 2x Murrays would be an awesome Forward pairing to have around Fox and Sabonis. Melton is the lead defender on guards like Curry, Morant, SGA, Booker, Donovan, etc. Sims in the lineup when Sabonis is resting or out will make the team harder to score on.

This team could have a problem stopping guys like Doncic, KD or Giannis going off without a lead forward defender... but on the flip side, their teams will have a problem stopping this whole team on offense too.

A guy to keep an eye on as a possible replacement for Barnes is Patrick Williams. His stock has fallen, so could be available on the cheap.

Last edited:
So at the end of the regular season, I can see 2 players that would fit with Fox, Sabonis and Murray better than others.

- Cam Johnson (make an offer that the Nets will not match.)
- De'Anthony Melton (trade Malik Monk + what? for him. His defense is amazing and he's a nice alternative to Huerter at SG.)

Then figure out how to trade for Jericho Sims from the Knicks. He can be real useful playing 20mins at C, and offers the coach a different approach compared to Sabonis. He is a good defender, rebounder and rim-roller.

G: Fox, Davion
G: Melton, Huerter
F: Murray, Barnes or ?
F: Johnson, Lyles
C: Sabonis, Sims, Metu or ?

This is the roster the FO needs to be aiming at. Cam plays a lot like Murray. 2x Murrays would be an awesome Forward pairing to have around Fox and Sabonis. Melton is the lead defender on guards like Curry, Morant, SGA, Booker, Donovan, etc. Sims in the lineup when Sabonis is resting or out will make the team harder to score on.

This team could have a problem stopping guys like Doncic, KD or Giannis going off without a lead forward defender... but on the flip side, their teams will have a problem stopping this whole team on offense too.

A guy to keep an eye on as a possible replacement for Barnes is Patrick Williams. His stock has fallen, so could be available on the cheap.
Trade Monk? Wrong answer.

Trade Monk? Wrong answer.
The reason I'd written about Melton is so that Barnes (or Murray, or Cam Johnson if the FO can get him) will not have to chase guys like Steph around. Melton is a really good lead defender on guards. Plus he can shoot and make plays too. He is not as smooth as Monk on offense though.

Last edited:
You all aren’t going to like this considering how well he played for us last game…

---------------------------------------

BKN Gets: Richaun Holmes, Keegan Murray, Davion Mitchell, PJ Dozier, 2023 SAC 1st, Unprotected SAC 1st 2 Years After Pick Conveys to ATL (Likely a 2026 1st), & Unprotected SAC 1st 4 Years After Pick Conveys to ATL (Likely a 2028 1st)
BKN Gives: Mikal Bridges & Dorian Finney-Smith

PG - Dinwiddie / Mitchell / Mills
SG - O'Neale / Thomas / Sumner / Dozier
SF - Johnson / Harris
PF - Murray / Simmons
C - Claxton / Holmes / Sharpe

SAC Gets: Mikal Bridges & Dorian Finney-Smith
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes, Keegan Murray, Davion Mitchell, PJ Dozier, 2023 SAC 1st, Unprotected SAC 1st 2 Years After Pick Conveys to ATL (Likely a 2026 1st), & Unprotected SAC 1st 4 Years After Pick Conveys to ATL (Likely a 2028 1st)

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Huerter / Davis
SF - Bridges / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Finney-Smith / Lyles
C - Sabonis / FA MLE Backup C

This gives us an up & coming big 3 of Fox - Bridges - Sabonis who are all on the same timeline, and after Sabonis’ extension, all locked up for awhile. Fox & Sabonis are already a great pairing but Bridges ability to play off the ball, space the floor, and pick his spots (like how Middleton fits with Holiday/Giannis) should make him a seamless fit with our core while raising our ceiling at the same time.

A starting lineup of Fox - Huerter - Bridges - Finney-Smith - Sabonis still has great spacing/shooting around Fox & Sabonis allowing our offense to not skip a beat. And with another fringe star talent who is unselfish (Bridges), who’s to say our offense couldn’t improve?

On defense, we’d be replacing Murray & Barnes in the starting lineup with a good/great defender in Finney-Smith and an All NBA defender in Bridges. I don’t think this catapults into Top 5 defense territory but it should help us at least move closer to average. And when Fox is locked in defensively, you have two elite defenders on the perimeter.

The bench would be improved as well. Since this trade doesn’t require us to use cap space, we can maintain our cap holds for guys like Barnes, Lyles, Davis, etc. and go over the cap to sign them. That means our bench could have 2 6th man candidates in Monk and Barnes while still having Davis, Edwards, Lyles, and a FA MLE backup C. That’s an extremely solid bench with a lot of firepower and versatility.

Let that core simmer and gel over the next few years and maybe there’s a finals appearance in their future.

Last edited:
You all aren’t going to like this considering how well he played for us last game…

BKN Gets: Richaun Holmes, Keegan Murray, Davion Mitchell, PJ Dozier, 2023 SAC 1st, Unprotected SAC 1st 2 Years After Pick Conveys to ATL (Likely a 2026 1st), & Unprotected SAC 1st 4 Years After Pick Conveys to ATL (Likely a 2028 1st)
BKN Gives: Mikal Bridges & Dorian Finney-Smith

PG - Dinwiddie / Mitchell / Mills
SG - O'Neale / Thomas / Sumner / Dozier
SF - Johnson / Harris
PF - Murray / Simmons
C - Claxton / Holmes / Sharpe

SAC Gets: Mikal Bridges & Dorian Finney-Smith
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes, Keegan Murray, Davion Mitchell, PJ Dozier, 2023 SAC 1st, Unprotected SAC 1st 2 Years After Pick Conveys to ATL (Likely a 2026 1st), & Unprotected SAC 1st 4 Years After Pick Conveys to ATL (Likely a 2028 1st)

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Huerter / Davis
SF - Bridges / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Finney-Smith / Lyles
C - Sabonis

This gives us an up & coming big 3 of Fox - Bridges - Sabonis who are all on the same timeline, and after Sabonis’ extension, all locked up for awhile. Fox & Sabonis are already a great pairing but Bridges ability to play off the ball, space the floor, and pick his spots (like how Middleton fits with Holiday/Giannis) should make him a seamless fit with our core while raising our ceiling at the same time.

A starting lineup of Fox - Huerter - Bridges - Finney-Smith - Sabonis still has great spacing/shooting around Fox & Sabonis allowing our offense to not skip a beat. And with another fringe star talent who is unselfish (Bridges), who’s to say our offense couldn’t improve?

On defense, we’d be replacing Murray & Barnes in the starting lineup with a good/great defender in Finney-Smith and an All NBA defender in Bridges. I don’t think this catapults into Top 5 defense territory but it should help us at least move closer to average. And when Fox is locked in defensively, you have two elite defenders on the perimeter.

The bench would be improved as well. Since this trade doesn’t require us to use cap space, we can maintain our cap holds for guys like Barnes, Lyles, Davis, etc. and go over the cap to sign them. That means our bench could have 2 6th man candidates in Monk and Barnes while still having Davis, Edwards, Lyles, and a FA MLE backup C. That’s an extremely solid bench with a lot of firepower and versatility.

Let that core simmer and gel over the next few years and maybe there’s a finals appearance in their future.
Davion, Keegan, 3 FRP for Bridges?

Nah, that's a package you send to get you a KD/Luka level talent. I like Bridges a lot, think he's absolutely shown all-star upside with BKN, but this trade package is beyond pushing all-in.... you basically better be sure Bridges is a top 10 player in the league for the next 5 years by doing this or you're screwing yourself over. This is more than Minny gave up for Gobert.... who's a better player than Bridges at the time of the trade.

Davion, Keegan, 3 FRP for Bridges?

Nah, that's a package you send to get you a KD/Luka level talent. I like Bridges a lot, think he's absolutely shown all-star upside with BKN, but this trade package is beyond pushing all-in.... you basically better be sure Bridges is a top 10 player in the league for the next 5 years by doing this or you're screwing yourself over. This is more than Minny gave up for Gobert.... who's a better player than Bridges at the time of the trade.
Durant was just traded for Bridges, Johnson, 4 1st round picks, and a pick swap.

Bridges > Murray
Johnson > Mitchell
4 1sts > 3 1sts
1 Pick Swap > 0 Pick Swaps

And this also doesn’t even consider the fact that we’re dumping Holmes negative contract and acquiring Finney-Smith (who’s probably worth a 1st by himself) .

I think it’s safe to say that your evaluation that this is a Durant level package is pretty far off.

As for Gobert vs. Bridges. I’d easily rather have Bridges..
  • He’s an excellent two way player while Gobert is just excellent on one side of the ball
  • He’s a rare offensive fit in that he can complement two other stars in a Middleton type role
  • You don’t have to worry about Bridges being played off the floor in the playoffs (as we’ve seen with Gobert)
  • You don’t have to worry about the locker room/chemistry with someone like Bridges while Gobert has had his run ins with teammates
  • Bridges is 26 and Gobert was 30 at the time of the trade
  • Bridges makes $23.3 mil/year for the next 3 years while Gobert was making $42.5 mil/year for the next 4 years at the time of the trade

And with all that in mind, it still took the following to land Gobert:
  • Malik Beasley (maybe worth a decent 2nd)
  • Patrick Beverley (filler)
  • Leandro Bolmaro (filler)
  • Jarred Vanderbilt (worth a 1st round pick)
  • 2022 #22 (Walker Kessler)
  • 2023 1st
  • 2025 1st
  • 2026 Pick Swap
  • 2027 1st
  • 2029 1st
That’s 6 1st round picks, a pick swap, and a 2nd (Beasley) for a lower value player in Gobert. And on top of that, the Wolves didn’t have the added luxury of dumping a negative contract and also acquiring someone like Finney-Smith.

Again, I think you’re evaluation of these trades compared to the trade I posted above is fairly far off.

Last edited:
The Nets are in a tough position. If they didn’t have the fall out with Kyrie they might actually be on to something but now they are stuck in neutral. They don’t have a ton of incentive to tank because of the pick swaps still owed to Houston. I guess I don’t see the point of trading their best player for another player at the same position, a point guard who is not a primary facilitator or scorer and picks that will likely be in the 20s. Bridges averaged 28 a game in April. He is a great defender. My guess is they will build around him and look at the free agent market once they get Simmons off the books. I’d look to trade Smith and Royce, add some shooting and go from there.

At this point we have 3 iso players (Fox, Monk, Barnes) and 2 half iso guys (Sabonis Huerter) 3 facilitators (Sabonis Fox Monk) 4 shooters (Keegan, Huerter, Barnes, Monk) if we bring Lyles back you can put him in that group or Sasha if he comes over) 1 defensive stopper ( Davion), one potential stopper (Kessler) and one rim protector if brought back. (Len). One more iso guy and one more rim protector would be nice