What's your pick today? (June 11, 2018)

Who do you want at the #2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doncic is the only player at #2 who has the ability/mentality to transform the culture/playstyle of a team. He will make everyone around him better from day one. He will get the best out of the Willie's and Skal's of the world. He is the pick.
Imagining him alongside Bogie and Fox, really really excites me as well, but everything you said the is the main reason I’m on the Luka bandwagon.

If Ayton is there - get him! He can work on his defense. Instant 2nd alley-oop target for Fox. Much better offensive touch than Willie Cauley Stein.
Also like Jaren Jackson Jr with his uncanny reach, defense, and very good shooting for size. I wouldn't mind the Kings trading down for Jaren Jackson Jr if Ayton is unavailable for a 2nd player in the draft (Trae Young?).

Wouldn't really be upset with Doncic as a sort of "safer" pick, and would be intriguing anyway. The Kings are in an enviable place thanks to lady-luck.

Honestly the more i think about Ayton, the more i get pretty skeptical. I mean, we had cousins for 7-8 years and I’m not sure how impactful Ayton will be in comparison, even if he does put up impressive numbers offensively. Will it be much of the same? Great numbers with the win total hovering around the same mark? Obviously they’re two different players, but the talk that Ayton is supposedly pretty damn bad defensively, scares the hell outta me.

To recoup lost assets and create abundance? The kings can kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone if they trade down, get their guy and pick up a 2019 1st and another 1st.

The Kings are multiple peices away anyway you slice it.
How? Drafting some other Stauskas or McLemore?
We've been terrible in the range you hope to draft.
We got Cousins and then just missed out every other pick (Stauskas, McLemore, Fredette, Robinson).
Didn't we have enough? Come on.

I'm the only one on jjj so far, either gonna look like an idiot or a genius in a few years lol
I think if Ayton is unavailable and they can trade down for JJJ and another player, I'd do it. JJJ's reach and defense maybe best in the draft at his size. Was not as impressed with Bagley from what I saw in the March Madness tournament.

Last edited:
How? Drafting some other Stauskas or McLemore?
We've been terrible in the range you hope to draft.
We got Cousins and then just missed out every other pick (Stauskas, McLemore, Fredette, Robinson).
Didn't we have enough? Come on.
You have been beaten into a defeatists attitude it seems. I'm not that way. Call me crazy but if i lose 100 coinflips in a row i still think my chances are 50/50 on the next.

You also pay the lower picks less. You want Doncic right? What if they know he's gonna fall if they dont take him 2nd?

paying him as the 2nd pick is considerably worse than if they could nab him at 4 or 5 and parlay other assets (2019 1st rd pick).

Honestly the more i think about Ayton, the more i get pretty skeptical. I mean, we had cousins for 7-8 years and I’m not sure how impactful Ayton will be in comparison, even if he does put up impressive numbers offensively. Will it be much of the same? Great numbers with the win total hovering around the same mark? Obviously they’re two different players, but the talk that Ayton is supposedly pretty damn bad defensively, scares the hell outta me.
Ayton looks more like Kevin Willis than Cousins. I think his rebounding edge cannot be understated. He instantly relieves pressure off Cauley Stein for rebounding and offensive posting. Cousins had a major attitude problem that never went away that I doubt Ayton will ever have. Of course its a draft and Ayton may not be the best player in 5 years, but I like how he looks.

I also like Jaren Jackson Jr if Ayton unavailable. I think the Kings need to take a frontline player more - either Ayton or JJJ would be my top 2. JJJ with trade-down for 1st rounder next year or for a team to get Bridges/Young? I like Doncic, and wouldn't be upset anyway if they pick him. He looks like Jason Williams in a bigger body without quite as good ball-faking. He launches 3's like Williams did for sure. Remember though how sad it was when Williams was "neutered" in Miami? He was leashed and a shell of his old razzle-dazzle?

You have been beaten into a defeatists attitude it seems. I'm not that way. Call me crazy but if i lose 100 coinflips in a row i still think my chances are 50/50 on the next.

You also pay the lower picks less. You want Doncic right? What if they know he's gonna fall if they dont take him 2nd?

paying him as the 2nd pick is considerably better than if they could nab him at 4 or 5 and parlay other assets (2019 1st rd pick).
You're confusing probability with ineptitude.
It's not about being unlucky drafting every year a bust.
Thinking it's about luck is the easiest way not to improve and get better.
I don't care about saving 2 millions on Doncic when we pay 11 to Shumpert dead body.
We have to reach league minimum team salary, so I'd rather get Doncic without gambling.

Call me coward. If I really want Doncic (I do) I pick him without losing time and energies in mind games.

Maybe you're right and Doncic falls and you can gain some more assets, I'm doubtful.

KD is getting 11M less than Curry next season, if we pick Bamba. Vlade should maybe at least try and say "hi" to KD right after the draft. Without DMC and the kids still growing, Kings wouldn't have problem giving him the key to the franchise.

Vlade: Wazzup Kevin, seems you really like the sun here in California. Actually, there's actually a new and luxurious basketball house in California and it's not that far from where you play. How about you drop your player option and sign a bigger money with the Kings. And you know, you can help the NBA get more balanced out and less boring.
KD wouldn’t even take the call...

You're confusing probability with ineptitude.
It's not about being unlucky drafting every year a bust.
Thinking it's about luck is the easiest way not to improve and get better.
I don't care about saving 2 millions on Doncic when we pay 11 to Shumpert dead body.
We have to reach league minimum team salary, so I'd rather get Doncic without gambling.

Call me coward. If I really want Doncic (I do) I pick him without losing time and energies in mind games.

Maybe you're right and Doncic falls and you can gain some more assets, I'm doubtful.
You think im an advocate for luck? LOL

I don't think your a coward i think your take is inspired by instant gratification seeking behavior, which is how most people(consumers) justify things.

Your probabilities example doesn't make any sense then.
So the Spurs were wrong looking for "instant gratification" with Duncan? Or the Blazers with Roy or Lillard?
I just evaluate players, if they're already great even better.

So the Spurs were wrong looking for "instant gratification" with Duncan? Or the Blazers with Roy or Lillard?
The Family Guy video you posted a few days ago is the best way to describe this situation...:p

The Family Guy video you posted a few days ago is the best way to describe this situation...:p
My post went over his head. His response about players and teams is not the topic i was addressing at all. I was addressing the window of time between now and the last second the kings aare on the clock, in which they have the opportunity to read the tea leaves, posture, inquire, drum up bidding wars, smoke screen and ultimately extract maximum value. I say to forfeit this opportunity or to fail to recognize it and put all your eggs in one basket 9 days before the draft is a suckers move, it's imprudent and an Instant gratification seeking behavior way of thinking. With no 2019 pick and a young improving core the kngs are unlikley to have this kind of leverage anytime in the forseable future and they need to weild it accordingly .

DX (Now ESPN) hate it or love it has been the most accurate on the internet year after year after year, for months they had doncic 1st, now he's 4th. It's plenty feasible he can fall. So many players who shouldve gone top 3 or 5 fall outside those ranges, happens all the time. The kings hold the best position in this draft to capitalize on this the suns cant afford to pass on Ayton.

To recoup lost assets and create abundance? The kings can kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone if they trade down, get their guy and pick up a 2019 1st and another 1st.

The Kings are multiple peices away anyway you slice it.
The Kings find themselves in the #2 spot in the Draft through incredible good fortune. In addition the roster is already populated by multiple young players with various upside. IMO this is the year you make the pick at #2 to get the most dynamic player available, Luka Doncic.

Trading away the #2 pick is like trading a dollar for 2 or 3 nickels. IMO this draft needs to be quality over quantity. Especially when you consider the better playoff teams were only going 7 or 8 deep in their rosters in those important games.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The Kings find themselves in the #2 spot in the Draft through incredible good fortune. In addition the roster is already populated by multiple young players with various upside. IMO this is the year you make the pick at #2 to get the most dynamic player available, Luka Doncic.

Trading away the #2 pick is like trading a dollar for 2 or 3 nickels. IMO this draft needs to be quality over quantity. Especially when you consider the better playoff teams were only going 7 or 8 deep in their rosters in those important games.
Hypothetical question to you, and I'm with you to just keep the pick but, what if Dallas says we will trade you Harrison Barnes and the pick at 5 for Zbo or Koufos or Shump and the pick at 2.

You have a chance to get Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Porter, JJJ, Bamba and add a guy like Barnes who is a complete upgrade at 3. I don't see how we can turn down a hypothetical deal like that.

Hypothetical question to you, and I'm with you to just keep the pick but, what if Dallas says we will trade you Harrison Barnes and the pick at 5 for Zbo or Koufos or Shump and the pick at 2.

You have a chance to get Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Porter, JJJ, Bamba and add a guy like Barnes who is a complete upgrade at 3. I don't see how we can turn down a hypothetical deal like that.
I am for trade down scenarios where we don't leave the top five.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Rarely do you see a tweet or story that the Kings are leaning to Doncic. It's usually Bagley or Porter and occasionally there is JJJ/Bamba but mainly Bagley or Porter. Makes me think the pick is Doncic. Reason is that unlike previous years, we have never been this high in the draft so the smoke screens were not as important. At 2? Extremely important so that no one knows what the hell you are going to do. I think it's a reason you saw the JJJ going off tweet yesterday in Phx. Of course Phx is set on Ayton but they are trying like hell to increase the value of that pick. I think Sac is doing the same.

For me, Barnes who was a 7th pick and whoever is left at 5 is not equal to the having the #2 pick. I have my sights set on Doncic.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love Luka's game but what are the odds that he's the best player to come out of this draft? 10:1? 20:1? More?

I think his floor is high enough that his bust potential is low. But does anyone actually think he can be the best player on a contending team?

He's not a go-to scorer. He's going to be a mediocre to poor team defender and a poor to very poor individual defender, at least initially but with athletic limitations on how good he can be on that end. He's a pick and roll maestro and his BBIQ is shockingly good for a kid his age. Luka seems like a great piece on a team that already has an offensive star where he can be a playmaker and complimentary player. I just don't know that he's a franchise guy though.

And right now the Kings still need a franchise guy. Right now we have two solid but not great players at SG, a young PG coming off a disappointing rookie season who needs a lot of development but is still worth waiting on, a C who is soft on the boards, doesn't show up consistently and is entering the last year of his rookie deal, a PF who flashed a ton of potential in HS but is coming off two major knee injuries and hasn't played a minute in the NBA and then a collection of young and veteran roleplayers.

This team needs a franchise player. When all is said and done I think he's at best the third or fourth best player from this draft class which is a solid double when the Kings really need a homerun for once. Am I wrong?

I love Luka's game but what are the odds that he's the best player to come out of this draft? 10:1? 20:1? More?

I think his floor is high enough that his bust potential is low. But does anyone actually think he can be the best player on a contending team?

He's not a go-to scorer. He's going to be a mediocre to poor team defender and a poor to very poor individual defender, at least initially but with athletic limitations on how good he can be on that end. He's a pick and roll maestro and his BBIQ is shockingly good for a kid his age. Luka seems like a great piece on a team that already has an offensive star where he can be a playmaker and complimentary player. I just don't know that he's a franchise guy though.

And right now the Kings still need a franchise guy. Right now we have two solid but not great players at SG, a young PG coming off a disappointing rookie season who needs a lot of development but is still worth waiting on, a C who is soft on the boards, doesn't show up consistently and is entering the last year of his rookie deal, a PF who flashed a ton of potential in HS but is coming off two major knee injuries and hasn't played a minute in the NBA and then a collection of young and veteran roleplayers.

This team needs a franchise player. When all is said and done I think he's at best the third or fourth best player from this draft class which is a solid double when the Kings really need a homerun for once. Am I wrong?
And who is that? They all have question marks, including soft/motorless Ayton

The rumors that the Kings are trading back, if true though, are disappointing and show a lack of faith in the top projected three.

I agree that this draft has solid prospects like Carter, Bridges etc far out, but I’m not trusting our FO

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
All this Doncic sliding stuff, it makes no sense to me. I think a lot of agents working back channels trying to get him to slide in public perception and hoping a few teams lock in on someone else. Some of the stuff about the team sour on Doncic dates to mid-season, which again tells me they might think Vlade and Peja's euro-influence may drop his stock around the league.

Here's the thing, we built this team around a superstar big man for 5+ seasons, it got us nothing. We now have a shot at building around a superstar wing. The owner loves that style. The NBA seems to be going that style. If the modern NBA is 4 wings and 1 big, we have 5 guys that can hopefully be that 1 big. Especially if Giles is real.

Too many questions, I focus on the last one. Yes.

Joking aside, you didn't see Doncic play.
Why poor team defender? Why poor individual defender? He's a go to scorer as well, in case of need. Not the kind of player who care about his personal stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.