What's your pick today? (June 11, 2018)

Who do you want at the #2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Luka Doncic. Porters back is too big a risk at #2 IMO. Also I don't want to trade down. I have the picks ranked as follows:

1) Doncic
2) Ayton
3) Bagley
4) Bamba
5) Jackson
6) Porter

I figured Luka would be the leader but I didn't think it would be by that big of a margin either. Kinda glad I started the poll and thanks to whomever it was who suggested it.
I am assuming that most people expect Ayton to be gone at #1, thus such little votes.

But, I wonder if Phoenix surprises everyone and takes Bagley or MPJ or someone else #1, leaving both Doncic and Ayton at #2, who would be Kings fans pick then?

gunks

Hall of Famer
I am assuming that most people expect Ayton to be gone at #1, thus such little votes.

But, I wonder if Phoenix surprises everyone and takes Bagley or MPJ or someone else #1, leaving both Doncic and Ayton at #2, who would be Kings fans pick then?
I'd roll the dice on Ayton finding his fire in the big leagues.

For somebody with a suspect motor, he sure dominated the heck outta the NCAA.

Yeah I didn't even see his name cause I'm just assuming he'll be gone. He's a no brainer at #1

wow it is truly shocking how loud a tiny minority can be... or maybe I've just had selective hearing. I'm really pleased to see this poll - maybe we won't mess this up after all.

I'm tempted to try and start a chant on June 21 at G1C when the Kings go on the board... "Luka, Luka, Luka, Luka, Luka"... see if we can get it going. Will be a lot of fun if they actually just simply pick the great Slovenian!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is an incredibly difficult draft to peg.

There really aren't any of the top 5 or 6 guys that I really dislike or don't want the Kings to draft other than Trae Young.

Ayton? Yeah, sure
Doncic? Absolutely
Bagley? Yep
Bamba, Jackson, & Porter all make me more nervous for differing reasons but I can also see any of those three becoming the best player from this draft.

Can the Kings just please nail this pick? Is that too much to ask?

I'm the only one on jjj so far, either gonna look like an idiot or a genius in a few years lol
I like JJJ too. I just think he's less of a sure thing than a few of the others.

I actually could see any of Ayton, Dončić, Bagley, Jackson, Bamba or Porter becoming star players and possibly the best of their draft class when it's all said and done. It's just so hard to know whom to select.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
This! It's like they forgot ---- You don't pass on Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie because you've got Clyde Drexler!
This comparison doesn't actually work in our scenario. The BPA will undoubtedly fill a position of need. The Kings are only "set" at PG and SG. Neither of those positions have an upgrade with the second pick in the draft. SF, PF, and C all have arguable upgrades available with pick #2.

That you don't agree with the player is a different discussion, but it certainly isn't a Bowie situation if Doncic is chosen.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Taking the second best big in the draft if Ayton is #1 certainly looks like a Bowie situation if you ask me.

There's no reason that the direction of the NBA can't once again turn on a dime but right now wing play is the most valuable and the court vision and all around game Doncic has makes me think he should probably be picked #1 overall and I'm delighted if we can get him at 2. And that comes from someone who spent most of the NCAA season drooling over Ayton.

I figured Luka would be the leader but I didn't think it would be by that big of a margin either. Kinda glad I started the poll and thanks to whomever it was who suggested it.
Well now you've done it, VF. Your poll is going to motivate the 'Doncic doubters' ('haters' is such an ugly word, don't you think?) to repeat their posts 100 times a day instead of just 25 times a day, according to current standards.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
May I ask why some people want to trade down? We waited ages to get a top three pick... to trade down and then gamble again? Get Luka and enjoy.
Honestly I think we all had made contingency plans for picking 7th and who would fall that some are just hyped on who we thought we would get if someone reached for Young.

It's Bamba, even if Ayton drops to #2.
If this was the 90's, Ayton will be my #1 and Luka #2 and Bamba will be like #9.
But the game these days has lot to do with footrace and length if you are a big man.
Why? because the game now uses complex switching to get space for shooters in the perimeter.
Ayton will be like Cousins getting 2 pts for every 3pts that the opponent take after losing on the foot race and getting stuck in switches.
Although Bamba offers lesser post moves, mostly there's just one or 2 defenders in the post now as everybody focuses more on defending the perimeter.

It's all about Bamba's length and foot speed for me. He will be very capable to adapt to the league not just in defense but in offense as well. We got the speedy Fox. And what's more dangerous than a speedy PG in an open lane? A big man that sprints like a guard. The 22ft perimeter is like 2 arms length and a jump for this kid. So guarding the perimeter or making pick and lob play that Bogdan does so well will an easy bread and butter for this team with Bamba.

Doncic will be awesome. But he isn't direct complimentary to any of the King's roster. So we will force to move a lot of personel or tank another season. But Kings don't have a pick next season. So most likely we trade to get the better players. But given the history of the Kings, we'll end up with guys like Shumpert or KK in the end.

And Bagley is like Skal learning to dribble. It'll take a couple of years for him to matter. But he will be good.

May I ask why some people want to trade down? We waited ages to get a top three pick... to trade down and then gamble again? Get Luka and enjoy.
To recoup lost assets and create abundance? The kings can kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone if they trade down, get their guy and pick up a 2019 1st and another 1st.

The Kings are multiple peices away anyway you slice it.

KD is getting 11M less than Curry next season, if we pick Bamba. Vlade should maybe at least try and say "hi" to KD right after the draft. Without DMC and the kids still growing, Kings wouldn't have problem giving him the key to the franchise.

Vlade: Wazzup Kevin, seems you really like the sun here in California. Actually, there's actually a new and luxurious basketball house in California and it's not that far from where you play. How about you drop your player option and sign a bigger money with the Kings. And you know, you can help the NBA get more balanced out and less boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.