What the hell is wrong with Ja Morant?

If it's one thing that the NBA (and any professional sports league) doesn't like is bad publicity. I think Ja's story may get even uglier as more stories come out. Memphis may go from "darlings" and getting the favorable refereeing with all star Ja Morant to "Kings level" officiating overnight.

This could bold well for the Kings fortunes (ie officiating) though as the NBA will be looking for a "feel good" or "Cinderella" type story to cover up this Ja mess.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Honestly hope he is sincere and has the full team's support and "time away" isn't two games. Even if you think that bringing a gun to the strip club is a totally reasonable thing to do, the way he was playing with it isn't responsible fire arming.

Ja "Not worried about anyone in the West" Morant
He shouldn’t be. He clearly has enough to worry about on his own.

The last time we played Memphis I said that as big a Ja fan as I was when he came out in the draft — he’s really started to become a dislikable player.

Makes me appreciate De’Aaron Fox that much more.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
just another reason why these franchises need to include sports psychology sessions for all young millionaires to cover things like money management and overall well-being that is a absolute must when being a pro

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
just another reason why these franchises need to include sports psychology sessions for all young millionaires to cover things like money management and overall well-being that is a absolute must when being a pro
I politely disagree. To the franchise's players are movable pieces of meat that have no value other than trade or production. Quite frankly they don't care and the capitalist system essentially dictates that they shouldn't. It's the players union that needs to step up. There really needs to be a several day set of mandatory sessions for rookies in which retired players, vets etc sit down and discuss things like money management, on and off court decorum, the importance of community and the consequences of unacceptable behavior. Give these young players every opportunity to be successful in life.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I politely disagree. To the franchise's players are movable pieces of meat that have no value other than trade or production. Quite frankly they don't care and the capitalist system essentially dictates that they shouldn't. It's the players union that needs to step up. There really needs to be a several day set of mandatory sessions for rookies in which retired players, vets etc sit down and discuss things like money management, on and off court decorum, the importance of community and the consequences of unacceptable behavior. Give these young players every opportunity to be successful in life.
sure, they are movable pieces but these players are investments for the owners and it's in their best interest to provide them success in life as you mentioned in your last sentence. Young millionaires have low hanging fruit hanging all over the tree in this era compared to two decades or even one decade ago.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

As someone that taught high school kids once upon a time, it's a percentages game of who you can really reach. Some young men (and women) will listen and heed the warnings. But some will have that sense of invulnerability that often accompanies youth and have to find things out the hard way.

Fortunately for us as Kings fans, De'Aaron has seemingly always been mature and responsible, even as a teenager entering the NBA.

It's just one more reason among many that he's easy to root for.

I adore Steven Adams; despite the shift in the league away from players with his particular skillset and physical profile, I've wanted him in Sacramento for ages. And it does not surprise me that, prior to Ja's social media post, Adams was the veteran presence in that locker room calling for better behavior and greater focus from his teammates when the Grizzlies are on the road. That said, I can't imagine the oddball New Zealander on the roster is the guy that Memphis needs in Ja's ear. I'm thinking there's not a ton of common ground there, and I suspect the Grizzlies will need to seek out a veteran voice for their locker room who is more likely to command Ja's respect. Hell, I'd take a flyer on Demarcus Cousins if I were Memphis, just to see if his growth as a man and a professional rubs off on Ja.

I adore Steven Adams; despite the shift in the league away from players with his particular skillset and physical profile, I've wanted him in Sacramento for ages. And it does not surprise me that, prior to Ja's social media post, Adams was the veteran presence in that locker room calling for better behavior and greater focus from his teammates when the Grizzlies are on the road. That said, I can't imagine the oddball New Zealander on the roster is the guy that Memphis needs in Ja's ear. I'm thinking there's not a ton of common ground there, and I suspect the Grizzlies will need to seek out a veteran voice for their locker room who is more likely to command Ja's respect. Hell, I'd take a flyer on Demarcus Cousins if I were Memphis, just to see if his growth as a man and a professional rubs off on Ja.
Or at least scare him straight, "I would have been 100 million dollars richer today if I were able to behave like a professional"

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been an Adams fan since the Thunder drafted him. Kind of hard to believe he's still only 29. It seems like he's been in the league forever.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt the NBA will be able to prove conclusively that Ja had the gun on the team plane. But I still expect they'll suspend him. My guess is 8-10 games.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I doubt the NBA will be able to prove conclusively that Ja had the gun on the team plane. But I still expect they'll suspend him. My guess is 8-10 games.
Unless he bought the gun in Colorado, if it was registered at home in Memphis, he brought it on the plane?

Maybe Brandon Miller drove the gun over to him.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I expect a players union to die on almost any hill (particularly DV and SA), but irresponsible gun possession in 2023 might be a bridge too far given it is pretty much a one person acting alone type of offense.