What the hell is wrong with Ja Morant?

The bulk of the substance:

Last summer, in an encounter that has not been previously reported, the head of security at a Memphis mall told police that Morant “threatened” him during an altercation in the parking lot, leaving him alarmed enough that he filed a police report. A member of Morant’s group shoved the director in the head, he told police. No arrests were made, records show.

Four days later, Morant repeatedly punched a teenage boy in the head during a pickup basketball game at Morant’s house, the boy told police. Morant and his friend struck the 17-year-old so hard they knocked him to the ground and left him with a “large knot” on the side of his head, according to a police report narrative written by deputies who said they observed the boy’s injuries

The teenager told detectives from the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office that, after the fight, Morant went into his house and re-emerged with a gun visible in the waistband of his pants and his hand on the weapon, according to police interviews obtained by The Post, which have not previously been reported.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Ja Morant is looking like more and more of an idiot and wanna be gangster every day. Nike decided to push him as their feature athlete to spearhead their new generation of signature shoes. It's unconfirmed, but Shannon Sharpe said that his contract with Nike is $200million. With all the controversy around him, I wonder if they're starting to regret it?
Those contracts typically have some kind of behavior clause. I bet they could back out if they want.

Geez. Talk about knuckleheading your way out of ascendancy as the Next Big Thing. I'm hardly Ja's biggest fan, but it's a shame to see a dynamic young talent self-sabotage like this, and all for the sake of maintaining a "rep" with hangers-on from the old neighborhood. I mean, Morant is supposed to be the new face of Nike, for chrissakes. Yet he continually puts himself in situations where the blowback is likely to cause harm not only to himself, but to those who have put their faith in him, as well.

I don't know what kind of infrastructure exists within the Grizzlies franchise to provide support and guidance for young wayward superstars who are newly-minted millionaires, but somebody's gotta get in Ja's ear and tell him to grow up, behave like a professional, and cut the possee loose, or he can wave the endorsements and the accolades goodbye. You can't handle him like you're afraid of "upsetting the talent."

I do get it, to some degree; nobody who reaches Ja's level wants to turn their back on those that were there from the beginning. But at a certain point, you have to decide who your friends are going to be, and if the answer is, "Those who can't be bothered to discourage the brandishing of a firearm on multiple occasions that will get me in hot water with my team and the league," then you've chosen poorly.

Hopefully Memphis recognizes the need to surround Morant with much stronger influences. Of course, this is the danger of pursuing a youth movement as an overarching philosophy and foregoing the presence of steady veterans in the locker room. Sometimes you only need one of those guys, like a Harrison Barnes, who can help young hotheads like Ja handle the pressures that come with money, fame, and the grind of NBA life. Right now, the Grizzlies just don't have that guy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, in my post earlier, when i looked at the Memphis schedule, it looked to me like a mine field. At that time I knew nothing about JA's off the court problems. After i began reading about them, I was like, "man, this is ugly". When Jonas Valanciunas was with the Grizzlies (he was a good fit) - i watched a lot of of their games. I really liked how they played. Competitive, with the edge, very talented with the huge potential.
At the start of the season JA was special. He could make plays, due to his freaking athletic abilities, that no one ever could do.
Now, situation with JA is a complete mess. Sadly for Grizzlies, it's not like it was with Denis Rodman and the Bulls. JA is like MJ for the Grizz. If he is 100% on the game - it's scary. In sports, psychology, either individual or a collective, has the same importance as athletes talent, skills, training. Another thing - NBA is a HUGE business. Hundreds of billions, maybe more correct number is some trillions of $$$ circulates like a blood in this machine.
To be short - JA is screwed up right personally and that messed up Grizzlies a s team. Even if JA's current problems will go away, it will leave the stain on him forever. JA is a good guy, just got overwhelmed by everything and now he needs lots of things to go right and lots of true help. It's not the same story like it was with the late Kobe. Kobe was squeaky clean darling of NBA, that even his ugly story in Colorado somehow went away. JA and Memphis organization will need good couple seasons to sort things out. Especially in the current environment. I wish all the best for JA and Memphis. All people make mistakes. Important thing is how we reflect on them and how it changes us.
From the Kings perspective - it's a good thing. Though i like pure sportsmanship. We don't need extra help, in whatever form it might come. We only need to play 5 on 5, and let the basketball court decide who is who.

[/QUOTE]
I don't want to like that but I'm glad something is being done about Ja. Might end up saving his life.
Dude has a rare opportunity to be an icon player, like an AI, Kobe, Vince Carter, etc. And not only change his family's fortunes for generations, but his community as well.

Sincerely hope he figures it out. All the reports are I've been seeing are just ugly ugly ugly

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well, in my post earlier, when i looked at the Memphis schedule, it looked to me like a mine field. At that time I knew nothing about JA's off the court problems. After i began reading about them, I was like, "man, this is ugly". When Jonas Valanciunas was with the Grizzlies (he was a good fit) - i watched a lot of of their games. I really liked how they played. Competitive, with the edge, very talented with the huge potential.
At the start of the season JA was special. He could make plays, due to his freaking athletic abilities, that no one ever could do.
Now, situation with JA is a complete mess. Sadly for Grizzlies, it's not like it was with Denis Rodman and the Bulls. JA is like MJ for the Grizz. If he is 100% on the game - it's scary. In sports, psychology, either individual or a collective, has the same importance as athletes talent, skills, training. Another thing - NBA is a HUGE business. Hundreds of billions, maybe more correct number is some trillions of $$$ circulates like a blood in this machine.
To be short - JA is screwed up right personally and that messed up Grizzlies a s team. Even if JA's current problems will go away, it will leave the stain on him forever. JA is a good guy, just got overwhelmed by everything and now he needs lots of things to go right and lots of true help. It's not the same story like it was with the late Kobe. Kobe was squeaky clean darling of NBA, that even his ugly story in Colorado somehow went away. JA and Memphis organization will need good couple seasons to sort things out. Especially in the current environment. I wish all the best for JA and Memphis. All people make mistakes. Important thing is how we reflect on them and how it changes us.
From the Kings perspective - it's a good thing. Though i like pure sportsmanship. We don't need extra help, in whatever form it might come. We only need to play 5 on 5, and let the basketball court decide who is who.
If Ja becomes a model citizen and a top 50 all time talent I don't think when he dies everyone will crawl out of the woodwork to remind people he was a rapist. Kobe's problem went away but as we get further away from people who saw him play, I think he'll fade from memories because of it.