What the hell is wrong with Ja Morant?

Stein has walked back the mandatory 50 game suspension:
It would have surprised me if the specific rule of 50 games was in the CBA. I think 50 games was a reference to the Crittendon Arenas incident

The firearms provision is in the CBA, page 120 https://cosmic-s3.imgix.net/3c7a0a5...-NBA-NBPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement.pdf
Section 9. Firearms and Other Weapons.(a) Whenever a player is physically present at a facility or venueowned, operated, or being used by a Team, the NBA, or any Leaguerelated entity, and whenever a player is traveling on any NBA-relatedbusiness, whether on behalf of the player’s Team, the NBA, or anyLeague-related entity, such player shall not possess a firearm of any kind orany other deadly weapon. For purposes of the foregoing, “a facility orvenue” includes, but is not limited to: an arena; a practice facility; a Teamor League office or facility; an All-Star or NBA Playoff venue; and the siteof a promotional or charitable appearance.(b) At the commencement of each Season, and if the player owns orpossesses any firearm, the player will provide the Team with proof that theplayer possesses a license or registration as required by law for any suchfirearm. Each player is also required to provide the Team with proof ofany modifications or additions made to this information during the Season.(c) Any violation of Section 9(a) or Section 9(b) above shall beconsidered conduct prejudicial to the NBA under Article 35(d) of theNBA Constitution and By-Laws, and shall therefore subject t
Which references the NBA constitution article 35(d)

(d) The Commissioner shall have the power to suspendfor a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding$50,000, or inflict both such suspension and fine upon any Player who,in his opinion, (i) shall have made or caused to be made any statementhaving, or that was designed to have, an effect prejudicial ordetrimental to the best interests of basketball or of the Association or ofa Member, or (ii) shall have been guilty of conduct that does notconform to standards of morality or fair play, that does not comply atall times with all federal, state, and local laws, or that is prejudicial ordetrimental to the Association.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the word addiction means this is going to be one long and painful process, should he come out of it in remission. Goes to show that all the money in the world, the fame, your name and face on billboards is a lot to handle and that's not to add what type of environment he was raised in.

the new preferred term is alcohol use disorder. he's young enough where he can probably get over it with therapy. but obviously nobody knows the extent of it.

what's the difference between an addiction and a disorder?
It was a revision in the DSM-V to combine the two categories of dependence/addiction and abuse into a single disorder. I think this was at least partially done to reduce stigma, as well as to broaden and clarify the treatment options. I'm not a doctor, I work in patient simulation - we primarily teach communication skills to our learners (I work with MD, PA, Nurses, Pharmacy, Dental, and other students and residents), clinical reasoning does come into play and often managing and minimizing the stigma of diagnoses is a key concept when discussing next steps.

It's clear from the video that Ja is on the use disorder spectrum, but where in that path he is, I have no idea. Being young and rich it's possible he's still just in the abuse phase. Moving towards very heavy abuse.

It was a revision in the DSM-V to combine the two categories of dependence/addiction and abuse into a single disorder. I think this was at least partially done to reduce stigma, as well as to broaden and clarify the treatment options. I'm not a doctor, I work in patient simulation - we primarily teach communication skills to our learners (I work with MD, PA, Nurses, Pharmacy, Dental, and other students and residents), clinical reasoning does come into play and often managing and minimizing the stigma of diagnoses is a key concept when discussing next steps.

It's clear from the video that Ja is on the use disorder spectrum, but where in that path he is, I have no idea. Being young and rich it's possible he's still just in the abuse phase. Moving towards very heavy abuse.
We're taking situations where Ja was most likely just idolizing and mimicking the behaviors of his friends that live the partying and gangster lifestyle and we're attempting to call the results of his behavior a disorder in order to reduce the stigma of his poor behavior.

I don't think changing treatment options based on stigma is what the medical professionals should be doing. The stigma of alcoholism is there for a reason and it's because it can cause a lot of pain and heartache for people. It can tear families apart, kill the ones who have the addiction and kill innocent others. The medical professionals should be concentrating on treating the issue, whether it's physical or psychological. Not changing definitions based on destigmatizing a very serious addiction in order to lessen the guilt or shame that the person exhibiting the poor behavior feels.

This isn't a response to you personally btw. It's about the people who write the books.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I see that you didn't mention working with psychologists or neuroscientists. I bring these two professions up because I wonder if a disorder is in part to a compulsion where as in an addiction the brain circuitry is faulty to a point where it's much more difficult to diagnose versus a compulsion which is due from anxiety but comes with a better chance of recovering.

I don't think a 1 day rehab stint will solve all his issues.

This is a case where Memphis should step in and make it mandatory that Ja finishes the program correctly and gets real help. It's going to be much, much worse for Memphis and Ja if he continues down this path. Memphis should be watching out for Ja's overall well being.

We're taking situations where Ja was most likely just idolizing and mimicking the behaviors of his friends that live the partying and gangster lifestyle and we're attempting to call the results of his behavior a disorder in order to reduce the stigma of his poor behavior.

I don't think changing treatment options based on stigma is what the medical professionals should be doing. The stigma of alcoholism is there for a reason and it's because it can cause a lot of pain and heartache for people. It can tear families apart, kill the ones who have the addiction and kill innocent others. The medical professionals should be concentrating on treating the issue, whether it's physical or psychological. Not changing definitions based on destigmatizing a very serious addiction in order to lessen the guilt or shame that the person exhibiting the poor behavior feels.

This isn't a response to you personally btw. It's about the people who write the books.
I see that you didn't mention working with psychologists or neuroscientists. I bring these two professions up because I wonder if a disorder is in part to a compulsion where as in an addiction the brain circuitry is faulty to a point where it's much more difficult to diagnose versus a compulsion which is due from anxiety but comes with a better chance of recovering.
They coupled abuse and addiction into one spectrum.

It makes sense. Because abuse can lead to addiction. Addiction is a physical or psychological dependence, a lot of people abuse alcohol without dependence and aren't alcoholics. The treatment for these is different, but it is a spectrum.

I don't see the problem with destigmatizing diagnoses, if it leads to people accepting treatment. It isn't just a "feel good" thing, it's about getting people to accept they need help in a non-patronizing or demoralizing way. The problem with the old way is it lead to people refusing treatment and help.

Anyways, I think they are making a mistake with Ja. He needs more extensive counseling. I think "the lifestyle" has gotten to him and the most effective treatment will be separating from it for an extended period of time - 2-3 months typically is a good start, not 2 weeks.

Hilarious “suspension”… guess we know where the NBA has its focus. That Florida clinic must be the best in the world. 24 hour turnaround. Go from idiotic choices to brilliant decisions overnight!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
It seems as if no one, in this case, seems to care about what is best for Morant and by extension those who end up in his orbit. I wish him the best and hope I am wrong, but his behavior seems like a cry for help, and the league and Team are not even offering a band-aid. If he had addiction/mental health issues, this is going to get worse.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I don't think a 1 day rehab stint will solve all his issues.

This is a case where Memphis should step in and make it mandatory that Ja finishes the program correctly and gets real help. It's going to be much, much worse for Memphis and Ja if he continues down this path. Memphis should be watching out for Ja's overall well being.
Agreed, but I wonder if that’s allowed by his contract or the players union?