What the hell is wrong with Ja Morant?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The league knows a 1 year suspension wouldn't hold up on appeal based on precedent.

….

Based on Ja's recent history, I think 10-15 games is likely.
The guy got 8 games just a couple months ago. He immediately pivoted and spat in the face of the NBA and the commissioner doing the exact same thing. There’s no way he only get suspended between 2 and 7 more games.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The guy got 8 games just a couple months ago. He immediately pivoted and spat in the face of the NBA and the commissioner doing the exact same thing. There’s no way he only get suspended between 2 and 7 more games.
We'll see. The first incident happened in a public place while Morant was under the influence and very likely involved him transporting a gun on a team plane though that last part can't be proven. This was Morant in a private vehicle during the offseason.

He'll likely get a harsher penalty for exactly what you stated - being dumb enough to do something similar not long after being suspended and meeting with the commish about it, but I can't imagine a really lengthy suspension holding up on appeal from the NBAPA based on the actual act, even with his recent history.

But the number of games is pretty immaterial at this point. The bigger issue is that after everything that's happened, Morant hasn't gotten the message.

I dont know all the rules of player conduct for the NBA, but the punishment will have to reflect something enforceable.

It dosent matter how Silver FEELS about it. He needs to enforce the bylaws and correct the image of the NBA within the laws and rules agreed upon. Sure theres lattitue within that as his previous punishment was laughable. The min will be double that if I had to guess, maybe they go a little harder since it will be at the beginning of next season. He'll have time to come back to entertain us in the race to the playoffs. So 20 to 30 is my guess.

The media always talks about what a privilege it is to play in the NBA. Maybe one of those other 4,000 dudes with a better head should be allowed to step up.

Maybe one day ChatGPT will be advanced enough to stop him from going IG live with a gun so that he doesn't need it to write his apology for him...lol that ish is funny

So Ja writes "Bye" on his Instagram account. They did a welfare check on him, but he's taking a break from social media.
As much as I want pile on that he can’t even leave social media right, I did the same exact thing and got the same exact results at that age. Kids these days.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
it's a "slap on the wrist" but he seems completely unable to control his behavior so whether he can get through 25 games without further incident and additional punishment is very much in question.

at this point he hasn't actually hurt anyone so I'm not sure what else they can do.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It was brought up today that this punishment, if it stands, prevents him from being eligible for any postseason awards and thereby also possibly reduces the amount he could get paid on his next contract. While I think he should have gotten more games taken away, it could be a VERY significant chunk of change he loses in addition to the time away (and his normal pay lost for just the games themselves).

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was brought up today that this punishment, if it stands, prevents him from being eligible for any postseason awards and thereby also possibly reduces the amount he could get paid on his next contract. While I think he should have gotten more games taken away, it could be a VERY significant chunk of change he loses in addition to the time away (and his normal pay lost for just the games themselves).
I'd be shocked if that wasn't part of the thought process when deciding on his suspension. I was thinking 15 games (which would mean if he missed 3 games he'd be ineligible for awards) but 25 guarantees it.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention but AFAIK the player's association hasn't argued the length of the suspension. To me that was the big sticking point with a long suspension being handed down but I'm guessing the NBA discussed it with them first to avoid that.

And yes, while Morant still has a monster extension kicking in this season, his behavior is costing him a lot in terms of potential bonuses as well as endorsements.