What is up with De'Aaron Fox?

Fox was never as good as most fans assumed. This isn't new for me. I thought then and believe more now that Hali is a going to be a better player. See here: https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/trade-suggestion-fox-for-simmons-28.79959/

As for his regression, he put on pounds and lost his burst. I applaud him for putting in the work, but his trainer/agent and him made the wrong calculation. They thought the muscle would turn him into Russ 2.0, who is straight line like Fox, but is levels more beast mode. With the added muscle, Fox needs to zig and zag like Donovan Mitchell. Fox has never zigged or zagged. Don't think he'll ever truly be great at it. HIs ceiling is likely a longer Tony Parker. If he misses that ceiling, he's Leandro Barbosa 2.0. Average to poor shooter. Speed. Straight line. 10 year career.
I think he is as good as we think. I think it has more to do with the "pecking order" and him not wanting to be confrontational. That's why I like Mitchell. He's over all that and will do what he needs to do.

That's why I am OK with trading Buddy and Fox now. We need someone to lead this team. Like a Trae Young did since day 1 of his rookie campaign.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I think he is as good as we think. I think it has more to do with the "pecking order" and him not wanting to be confrontational. That's why I like Mitchell. He's over all that and will do what he needs to do.

That's why I am OK with trading Buddy and Fox now. We need someone to lead this team. Like a Trae Young did since day 1 of his rookie campaign.
The closest player we have to a Trae Young is the guy you're trying to get rid of.

you must be a new Kings fan lol. We never get the good end of trades

And now it's to the point where teams are just openly using them for leverage, even nearly completing a trade to get another one greased up haha.
I can live with being a poverty franchise and all that cause I ain’t leaving. Saddest moment for me as a Kings fan is when talking to my friends 21 year old son hearing “Kings fans exist?”. I lost a piece of myself there LOL

I can live with being a poverty franchise and all that cause I ain’t leaving. Saddest moment for me as a Kings fan is when talking to my friends 21 year old son hearing “Kings fans exist?”. I lost a piece of myself there LOL
I’ve been in the Bay Area a long time. Warriors fans used to see the Kings as a rival when I first got here during the We Believe days, then the Kings became an after thought during the Curry heyday, now it’s just sincere pity when they discover I am a Kings fan.

I’ve been in the Bay Area a long time. Warriors fans used to see the Kings as a rival when I first got here during the We Believe days, then the Kings became an after thought during the Curry heyday, now it’s just sincere pity when they discover I am a Kings fan.
I was born and raised in SF and I get the whole “just be a dubs fan bro you were born here”. My response NEVER!!!!!!

I was born and raised in SF and I get the whole “just be a dubs fan bro you were born here”. My response NEVER!!!!!!
My wife and all of my friends here are dubs fans, so switching would be easy to do. They wouldn’t hate either, since I’m a fan of all the other Bay Area sports teams and have lived here forever. Guess I like torture.

If Fox is to be kept he has to be someone who yells at teammates for the disgrace to basketball that occurred tonight. He is either not that king of guy, or he is used to losing. You don't exit 15 years of basketball purgatory when your best player is used to losing and isn't mad at his teammates.

If Fox is to be kept he has to be someone who yells at teammates for the disgrace to basketball that occurred tonight. He is either not that king of guy, or he is used to losing. You don't exit 15 years of basketball purgatory when your best player is used to losing and isn't mad at his teammates.
Fox got paid and no longer cares. and he was never much of a leader in the first place.

Fox lives in a glass house.

He's never been a vocal guy from what I can see.

If you were in the trenches with this group of guys it would be pretty quiet that's for sure. Do they even talk?

The closest player we have to a Trae Young is the guy you're trying to get rid of.
Unfortunately in professional sports, "close" isn't good enough, especially when you're paying lots of money for it. Teams don't get good by saying "close enough" and wishing for the best.

Fox has looked a bit more disengaged to me as well. Could be a lot of things (many mentioned here) or much to do about nothing.

I will throw out one theory myself…perhaps Fox isn’t taking to the fact that the new GM drafted two PGs with his only two 1st round picks. I equate it to a franchise QB seeing his team draft a QB in the first round (e.g., Aaron Rodgers). Fox likely sees himself as the leader and franchise player. Then the GM who drafted him is fired and he sees the new GM draft two PGs. Maybe he’s feeling like the current management doesn’t view him as the franchise player he thinks he is.

I obviously have no facts to back this up. Just a wild theory and an argument against this is that the new GM gave him a max extension.

Fox has looked a bit more disengaged to me as well. Could be a lot of things (many mentioned here) or much to do about nothing.

I will throw out one theory myself…perhaps Fox isn’t taking to the fact that the new GM drafted two PGs with his only two 1st round picks. I equate it to a franchise QB seeing his team draft a QB in the first round (e.g., Aaron Rodgers). Fox likely sees himself as the leader and franchise player. Then the GM who drafted him is fired and he sees the new GM draft two PGs. Maybe he’s feeling like the current management doesn’t view him as the franchise player he thinks he is.

I obviously have no facts to back this up. Just a wild theory and an argument against this is that the new GM gave him a max extension.
Rodgers was already an MVP and Super Bowl MVP when the Packers drafted Love. And Rodgers is still playing at an MVP level and has the Packers rolling towards the playoffs. If anything he seems a little DGAF this year which is fun (certain actions exempted)

The problem with this, is that if someone really is a franchise player,...no amount of other players at their position on the roster, would prevent them from showing how valuable they are.

Point being that if Haliburton and Mitchell being there has somehow screwed up his game, then he was never a franchise player in the first place.

His stats don’t really back up something being off but it’s not out of the question that he could be dealing with depression. Imagine signing a life altering contract with a team that has a terrible track record for success and then having a huge chunk of the media and fan base ready to trade you after 10 games. Imagine hearing you are not even as good as Tyrese Maxey. Imagine losing every year of your professional career. These guys have feelings too and it has to be hard to tune out all of it.

My wife and all of my friends here are dubs fans, so switching would be easy to do. They wouldn’t hate either, since I’m a fan of all the other Bay Area sports teams and have lived here forever. Guess I like torture.
i picked one vice and it was basketball cause it’s my least favorite sport anyway due to the purity of the sport being not good. You must be a Giants fan also since you like torture lol

His stats don’t really back up something being off but it’s not out of the question that he could be dealing with depression. Imagine signing a life altering contract with a team that has a terrible track record for success and then having a huge chunk of the media and fan base ready to trade you after 10 games. Imagine hearing you are not even as good as Tyrese Maxey. Imagine losing every year of your professional career. These guys have feelings too and it has to be hard to tune out all of it.
What you're saying isn't wrong but Fox was looking disengaged right as the season started.

From Grant Hill:

Why ‘necessary sacrifice’ separates the greats from everybody else

[Mindset] certainly plays a huge role, but I think it’s your willingness to make the necessary sacrifices.

Are you going to come in and put in the work? Are you going to put in your 10,000 hours? A lot of my friends who I think loved the game, and had the same goals in mind, at times maybe didn’t put in the necessary amount of work.

When you love something and you’re passionate about something, that opens the gates. There are some people who just want to be on the team, play and have fun. Then, there are those who want to be the best ever.

There’s something there that drives you, pulls you along and doesn’t allow you to accept anything less than winning and being successful.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/02/ex-...e=iosappshare|org.mozilla.ios.Firefox.ShareTo

From Grant Hill:

Why ‘necessary sacrifice’ separates the greats from everybody else

[Mindset] certainly plays a huge role, but I think it’s your willingness to make the necessary sacrifices.

Are you going to come in and put in the work? Are you going to put in your 10,000 hours? A lot of my friends who I think loved the game, and had the same goals in mind, at times maybe didn’t put in the necessary amount of work.

When you love something and you’re passionate about something, that opens the gates. There are some people who just want to be on the team, play and have fun. Then, there are those who want to be the best ever.

There’s something there that drives you, pulls you along and doesn’t allow you to accept anything less than winning and being successful.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/02/ex-nba-star-grant-hill-on-work-ethic-mindset-necessary-sacrifice.html?__source=iosappshare|org.mozilla.ios.Firefox.ShareTo
we still getting 25? Lol

It was the new/current management that signed Fox to a pricey extension. That seems like a pretty strong vote of confidence to me.

That trip to India a few seasons back took it out of him he's still getting over the jet lag. Once that goes away I'm sure Super Swipa will be putting up HOF per36 numbers and leading the Kings to their destiny.

That trip to India a few seasons back took it out of him he's still getting over the jet lag. Once that goes away I'm sure Super Swipa will be putting up HOF per36 numbers and leading the Kings to their destiny.
Sarcasm aside, the irony is you might actually be right, with the only caveat that our destiny might not be what everyone hopes for :)

The problem with this, is that if someone really is a franchise player,...no amount of other players at their position on the roster, would prevent them from showing how valuable they are.

Point being that if Haliburton and Mitchell being there has somehow screwed up his game, then he was never a franchise player in the first place.
It’s not just drafting 2 players at his position. It’s drafting 2 players at your position and moving you from that position. Not even competing for the spot. It’s you can have it part time and they will play it part time. Someone brought up Aaron Rodgers. Imagine drafting Jordan love, then splitting your time at qb and wr and asking why you aren’t your numbers the same. It’s not a perfect analogy cuz it’s different sports but there are other factors at play, not just drafting 2 other pg.