What is up with De'Aaron Fox?

Seriously, our beloved young man and potential savior has regressed a lot. He was supposed to be the All Star last year and seemed a sure thing All star this year.
He looks passive, disconnected and disinterested during games at times.
All of sudden it seems like Monta Ellis of new era Warriors situation.
I am concerned. What you guys think?

Fox was never as good as most fans assumed. This isn't new for me. I thought then and believe more now that Hali is a going to be a better player. See here: https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/trade-suggestion-fox-for-simmons-28.79959/

As for his regression, he put on pounds and lost his burst. I applaud him for putting in the work, but his trainer/agent and him made the wrong calculation. They thought the muscle would turn him into Russ 2.0, who is straight line like Fox, but is levels more beast mode. With the added muscle, Fox needs to zig and zag like Donovan Mitchell. Fox has never zigged or zagged. Don't think he'll ever truly be great at it. HIs ceiling is likely a longer Tony Parker. If he misses that ceiling, he's Leandro Barbosa 2.0. Average to poor shooter. Speed. Straight line. 10 year career.

I actually think he is just in a shooting slump and that’s it. His stats this year are almost identical to his career average across the board with the exception of 2 and 3 point shooting. I also don’t think he has lost much if any speed.

Fox was good most of last year and then great during his super nova phase. I think we are all just disappointed he didn’t build on that to start this season. The reality is if he was shooting his career average from 3 we would be looking at 23 points a game. Couple that with resurgence of the Black Falcon and the lineup changes and maybe it’s not surprising his scoring is down.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
New ball which has messed with a lot of players shooting numbers (and Fox was never great at shooting to begin with) and too much bulk.

I’m still optimistic he’ll work his way back to being a 25ppg player. He’s also adjusting to Hali’s increased role on the offense.

His iffy defense isn’t new. Haha

I think his "regression" is greatly overstated. Physically, I don't think there's anything wrong. He looks explosive to me - fast and quick. He still gets anywhere he wants to go. He's just missing more - more layups, more 10-footers, more 3-pointers. His effective FG% is down to 44% from 52% last year and he's shooting a bit less from the field and from the free throw line. So of course his scoring is a bit down.

I call that an extended shooting slump and I think he'll get over that.

My bigger concerns w/DFox are the ones that have carried over from last year: 1) his on-ball and off-ball defense are WAY too casual WAY too much of the time, often within the same game. His offseason promises about locking in defensively - and our hope that Davion's example would rub off - they haven't translated w/anything remotely approaching consistency. That's concerning.

2) As many others have noted, D'Aaron's way of "going supernova" is to dominate the ball and freelance. At his best, it's remarkable what he can do, often, playing that way. But it leaves everyone else watching for extended amounts of time and, at very least, is a waste of very good shooting talents like HB, Buddy, Tyrese, and even Richaun (in his way). IMO, this is the toughest nut to crack.

Tell me you didn't watch the last two games without actually SAYING you didn't watch the last two games...
The Detroit game was pretty good overall in spite of the not great shooting, but you don't think 5-14 FG against OKC with a key turnover was a problem?

Monta Ellis was no slouch either by the way.

Fox was never as good as most fans assumed. This isn't new for me.
Love how opinion is stated as fact here. It’s far from it.

Furthermore nobody ”assumed“ anything. He is a really good player. Anyone disputing that has an agenda. Any player that can average 25/7 over a season with solid FG numbers and 22/6 over a 3 year period can’t be considered anything but a really good player.

Is he an MVP level player? No. He’s a borderline all-star that has played well enough at times during his career to be an all-star.

Enlighten us as to which fans “assumed“ he has been anything more than that.

That’s just a silly dismissive statement.

As for Swipa’s current season, nobody has a clue what the issue is. Just a lot of speculation. Clearly something is off.

Furthermore nobody ”assumed“ anything. He is a really good player. Anyone disputing that has an agenda. Any player that can average 25/7 over a season with solid FG numbers and 22/6 over a 3 year period can’t be considered anything but a really good player.

Is he an MVP level player? No. He’s a borderline all-star that has played well enough at times during his career to be an all-star.

As for Swipa’s current season, nobody has a clue what the issue is. Just a lot of speculation. Clearly something is off.
Fox’s numbers were a byproduct of the team’s pace. Bagley was close to an 18/10 guy on last year’s team.
As for assuming, I’m going to assume that you think your opinion is fact. Carry on.

Fox’s numbers were a byproduct of the team’s pace.
According to you. But suppose for a moment it‘s truth, WTF does that matter and how does it in any way invalidate him as a very good player?

And, again, he’s been a 22/7 player for THREE seasons now. “Pace” isn’t the only reason, if it’s even a reason.

Bagley was close to an 18/10 guy on last year’s team.
Now you’re making $#/t up. Delusional. MB3 has never come close to those numbers for a season. He’s never even played or started remotely close to a full season. But even when he did play 40-60 games, he was 14/7.

Swipa’s averages are real and occurring over multiple seasons playing more games and way more minutes.

Stop with the nonsense.

As for assuming, I’m going to assume that you think your opinion is fact. Carry on.
Of course you do. Assuming is what you do best. Along with making up your own truth.

My opinions aren’t fact. That’s why they are labeled opinions and not facts. The difference is, my opinions are actually based off real facts, not made up BS.

Your entire argument about Swipa is subjective speculative nonsense.

As you were KB.

Last edited:
If Dame Lillard can be as awful as he’s been most of the season with this new ball, then anyone can. Sure, Fox has likely gotten too bulky but I’m not super worried yet. A little concerned because i want his confidence to be as sky high as his potential is, but I’m certainly not ready to trade him away just yet.
I’d completely forgotten about the new ball. It sure doesn’t seem like a coincidence that so many notable players effectiveness and production has been down. Dame is the prime example.

Swipa may have multiple things going against him.

According to you. But suppose for a moment it‘s truth, WTF does that matter and how does it in any way invalidate him as a very good player?

And, again, he’s been a 22/7 player for THREE seasons now. “Pace” isn’t the only reason, if it’s even a reason.

Now you’re making $#/t up. Delusional. MB3 has never come close to those numbers for a season. He’s never even played or started remotely close to a full season. But even when he did play 40-60 games, he was 14/7.

Swipa’s averages are real and occurring over multiple seasons playing more games and way more minutes.

Stop with the nonsense.

Of course you do. Assuming is what you do best. Along with making up your own truth.

My opinions aren’t fact. That’s why they are labeled opinions and not facts. The difference is, my opinions are actually based off real facts, not made up BS.

Your entire argument about Swipa is subjective speculative nonsense.

As you were KB.
See the bolded parts above. That’s funny. Thanks for confirming that you assume your opinions are facts. Lolzzzzzzzz.

The impact of pace is real. And so is Fox’s decline. Carry on.

Honest question - if your assessment is truly that Fox is a borderline all star, would you advocate giving him a max contract and making him the face of the franchise/treating him as THE GUY who is basically untradeable?

He misses a lot more around the basket this season. Thats the main regression I see. As for his passiveness: I believe people are confusing the fact that he no longer has to force the issue because we no longer have an issue scoring points otherwise with passivity. He doesn't force it because he doesn't have to. Just needs to go back to making a higher % of shots around the basket.

See the bolded parts above. That’s funny. Thanks for confirming that you assume your opinions are facts. Lolzzzzzzzz.

The impact of pace is real. And so is Fox’s decline. Carry on.
I feel like I'm stepping into a conversation where I have no need to... but.... You have once again somehow twisted things (even when directly quoting). The statement "my opinions are actually based off real facts" does not equal "my opinions are facts".

I feel like I'm stepping into a conversation where I have no need to... but.... You have once again somehow twisted things (even when directly quoting). The statement "my opinions are actually based off real facts" does not equal "my opinions are facts".
Everyone's opinions are based off of real facts. If you don't understand the context and don't get why that's funny than don't jump in.

He's playing much better in November which is encouraging, but he's still not what we expected and what we needed him to be. The bad stats aside, he just looks extremely irritated all the time and indifferent to the outcome of the game. It's a far cry away from the hungry, fiery kid who looked like he was doing everything he could to improve his game and win. It almost makes me wonder if he had a ton of frustration with this organization that he bottled up so he could secure his max deal and is now letting it go and having it affect his game.

Sorry, I missed your obviously hilarious joke. If you really think all opinions are based on facts, you haven’t been living in 2021.
The NBA facts that you cite or that I cite or that others cite, they're real facts. Your facts are not more factual than mine and others facts are not more factual than yours. Someone saying their facts are real facts (and thereby implying that other's facts are not) is just kinda head scratching funny.

If you want to expand the conversation to things outside of the NBA, I don't play in those arenas. Have fun and carry on.