what do we do?

VF21 said:
I'm holding out for Kevin Garnett.

;)
I hear that! BTW, I've seen a lot of posts commenting on trading bjax. I can't imagine why. He's a former sixth man, and awesome off the bench. He has had some bad luck with injuries, but he's a King, so that's expected. I can see trading any of the new guys, Peja, and even Miller, but who do we have as backup pg if Bobby is gone? Does any one really think we can get a better PG for less?

I don't remember who it was, but somebody said that we are "reloading, not rebuilding." I know that is just symantics, but I do like it better than a complete overhaul. I really believe that Chris and Doug's trade was to help make major moves this summer. That is why I am not all that upset about our early exit from the play offs this year. I don't see Petrie getting rid of Bibby or Miller, but anyone else is free game. Im my opinion, if we cannot sign Peja to an extension this summer, we will have to trade him. We cannot lose him to free agency and not get anything in return. We do not have a lot of cap space and since I do not see the Maloofs going spending crazy again anytime soon, big trades will have to happen to put us into contention again. We must make some big changes, especially on the defensive end. I am almost looking forward to seeing what is going to happen. I HATE having to wait so long in the summer to officially begin seeing our new team form. Let's face it, the Kings we all knew and love are a thing of the past. It will be time for us to embrace a new team, with a new "window of opportunity."

Sparky said:
I hear that! BTW, I've seen a lot of posts commenting on trading bjax. I can't imagine why. He's a former sixth man, and awesome off the bench. He has had some bad luck with injuries, but he's a King, so that's expected. I can see trading any of the new guys, Peja, and even Miller, but who do we have as backup pg if Bobby is gone? Does any one really think we can get a better PG for less?
I think that Eddie House's play at the end of the regular season has probably made that less of a concern.

Not saying that should be the case, necessarily, or that House is better than Bobby -- but his play leading up to Bobby's return would certainly make Bobby's potential departue less shocking.

GoGoGadget said:
I think that Eddie House's play at the end of the regular season has probably made that less of a concern.
You have a valid point. I am guessing that House is also younger than Bobby, as well. Still, House does not have the same spark. Maybe it's nostalgia, but when Bobby is on, he lights up Arco all by himself.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sparky said:
You have a valid point. I am guessing that House is also younger than Bobby, as well. Still, House does not have the same spark. Maybe it's nostalgia, but when Bobby is on, he lights up Arco all by himself.
Without a doubt. A younger and healthier Bobby still workng on his mini contract wuold absolutley be part of the solution rather than the problem. But again, injury prone Bobby entering the last year of his contract....well if he could bring back significant help, gotta consider it.

Most people seem to be focusing on Peja so I will add my comments with the below statement first. Lets note this is the first real trade players thread I have entertained all year. I think its time to start the talk :)

Petrie obviously has a vision for this team. I think his moves this year showed us some of that vision. In Petrie I trust so I won't second guess what he does. Like VF I think this will be a 2-3 year process but I also think it won't take a lot to get us back in the mix.

While I cannot stand Peja's vanishing act. I think using him as the #3 option can be a lot more effective. Right now everyone expects him to be the #1 or #2 option and that is just not who he is.

Options on the floor as I see it:
#1 = Yet to be named superstar/elite player
#2 = Bibby
#3 = Peja or trade Peja in a package deal for an elite SF/PF
#4 = Miller
#5 = Possibly Evans? Or trade for a SG that has D skills like DC. Possibly start giving Kmart some more min to groom him for that starting spot.

Keep some of our bench. Darius, Skinner... Get rid of Tag, House (unless we can keep him for min salary) Either Bobby or Corliss as the #6 man. I think Bobby prolly has more trade value as well as K9. K9 has posted nothing but double double after double double and could have some decent trade value. Cat could be used in a possible sign and trade.

I would trade anyone except Bibb if it was for an elite player.

VF21 said:
I'm holding out for Kevin Garnett.

;)
people say this is a pipe dream, and i would agree with them. but, i will say, if there is one GM in the league who could pull the strings to make it happen, it is geoff petrie.

VF21 said:
Toss Bobby into the mix, forget about Corliss and see what you can finagle.

;)
I've tried, but realgm won't let you trade Bobby in the simulator because the Kings technically haven't picked up his option yet. I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sparky said:
My thought is we're going to have to give value for value. If we even seriously think about Kevin Garnett, we aren't going to be able to get him without it hurting at least a little. Bobby IS valuable, that's what makes it a possibility.

They aren't happy with the Alien, so sending Bobby AND Peja and whatever else it takes just might make it tempting to Kevin McHale. Who knows what kind of magic Petrie might be able to cast?

VF21 said:
My thought is we're going to have to give value for value. If we even seriously think about Kevin Garnett, we aren't going to be able to get him without it hurting at least a little. Bobby IS valuable, that's what makes it a possibility.

They aren't happy with the Alien, so sending Bobby AND Peja and whatever else it takes just might make it tempting to Kevin McHale. Who knows what kind of magic Petrie might be able to cast?
Honestly for KG I would trade anyone on the roster even Bibby and build around KG. He is the type of player that can make a franchise or take a franchise if its built and coached properly. AKA Petrie and RA... KG is young enough to have plenty of years left and is one of the best players in the league.

HAHA I might even trade my wife to MN to get him here! HAHAHA Glad she doesn't read forums! <--- Just kidding of course

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia
20.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.1 apg in 38.4 minutes

Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
12.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.1 apg in 29.7 minutes

Corliss Williamson
6-7 SF from Arkansas
10.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.1 apg in 21.2 minutes

Brian Skinner
6-9 PF from Baylor
4.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 0.9 apg in 19.2 minutes
Incoming

Kevin Garnett
6-11 PF from Farragut Academy HS (IL)
22.2 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 5.7 apg in 38.0 minutes

Jerome Williams
6-9 PF from Georgetown
4.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 15.3 minutes
Change in team outlook: -20.9 ppg, -3.8 rpg, and -0.0 apg.

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Kevin Garnett
6-11 PF from Farragut Academy HS (IL)
22.2 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 5.7 apg in 38.0 minutes

Wally Szczerbiak
6-7 SF from Miami
15.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.4 apg in 31.6 minutes
Incoming

Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia

Brian Skinner
6-9 PF from Baylor

Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis
7.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 24.2 minutes

Mike Sweetney
6-8 PF from Georgetown
8.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 0.6 apg in 19.6 minutes
Change in team outlook: +2.9 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and -2.5 apg.

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis

Mike Sweetney
6-8 PF from Georgetown

Jerome Williams
6-9 PF from Georgetown
4.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.5 apg in 15.3 minutes
Incoming

Kenny Thomas
6-7 PF from New Mexico
12.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.1 apg in 29.7 minutes

Corliss Williamson
6-7 SF from Arkansas
10.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.1 apg in 21.2 minutes

Wally Szczerbiak
6-7 SF from Miami
15.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.4 apg in 31.6 minutes
Change in team outlook: +18.0 ppg, +3.2 rpg, and +2.5 apg.

Holy $#%$

Who needs a Petrie?

Note: Skinner is used in place of Bobby because realgm won't let me mess around with Bobby's contract. I figure his is close enough and there would likely be some draft picks and cash thrown around as well.

I like JYD too, and I'd live with his contract if it meant we got KG.
T-Wolves get instant cheap offense in Peja (who may also be expiring) and a young post talent in Sweetney.
Isiah Thomas is just stupid, I guess he does this to lose Penny and JYD's contracts, he'll probably tweak tons more and wouldn't mind Corliss and Kenny's smaller, more tradable deals.

Kings lineup (we would proceed to bring back Evans, Mobley, and Songaila, and House maybe or possibly a cheap PG like Steve Blake) would be

Miller
KG
Evans?
Mobley?
Bibby

Minny:

Kandi
Sweetney
Peja
Hassell
Bobby

They'd then have flexibility to ship out Alien or Hudson. They'll have a ton of room in 06 when Bobby, Peja, Penny, Sam (if not traded) and Kandi's deals all expire.

NY:

Hell, who cares about the Knicks?

Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia

Brian Skinner
6-9 PF from Baylor

Anfernee Hardaway
6-7 SG from Memphis

Mike Sweetney
6-8 PF from Georgetown
Change in team outlook: +2.9 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and -2.5 apg.
No way Minny does this. They are getting screwed in this trade. They could get more in a trade with Nets and the Lakers for crying out loud.

AleksandarN said:
No way Minny does this. They are getting screwed in this trade. They could get more in a trade with Nets and the Lakers for crying out loud.
Free agents in 2006 include:

Shaq
Amare
Yao
Dirk
Carter
Pierce
Antawn Jamison
Ben Wallace
Peja (but they'd already have him)

Last edited:
LPKingsFan said:
Free agents in 2006 include:

Yao
Dirk
Carter
Pierce
Antawn Jamison
Ben Wallace
Peja (but they'd already have him)
Still does not matter they are not getting good enough talent in return. You do not trade a KG and Walter for cap space in 2006.

AleksandarN said:
Still does not matter they are not getting good enough talent in return. You do not trade a KG and Walter for cap space in 2006.
If KG wants out, and none of these guys are available through trade, then, you think about it.

I am waiting to see if anything more comes out about KG's knee injury. There were a lot of rumblings that is worse than had been advertised. Also, is really on the block? And if so, why?

I will like to add that I agree with the pipedream consensus of trying to get KG at all costs. Let's reach for the sky and set our sights on hoping Petrie can get a deal done. As I've already posted previously, I've read in SI that Minny might put KG on the market rather than go through the expensive process of rebuilding around him. SI also said the trade partner would have to take Hudson and Wally in the deal so maybe it would turn into a possible 3 team trade.

If we can't get KG, then it's time to move on to the 2nd tier players to see what we can get.

LPKingsFan said:
If KG wants out, and none of these guys are available through trade, then, you think about it.
Still with a superstar like KG you will not settle for cap space. Answer this question how many teams would like to have KG on thier team? The market dictates the value of the player.

Peja and Miller for KG works under the cap. That's two All-Stars for one, and I'd do it in a heartbeat. You move Skinner to Center, Garnett plays Power Forward and Kenny Thomas moves to small forward. The Kings are instantly one of the best rebounding and shotblocking front lines in the NBA. KG plays help defense/goalie when Skinner is outsized (which really doesn't happen that often any more). Your bench is Corliss, Darius, Ostertag, Bobby and Evans/Martin/House. Bibby, Cuttino and KG are a championship-caliber core. Would Minnesota do it? I doubt it, but I can dream.

Edit - For some reason, this trade doesn't work on RealGM any more. It worked earlier in the year and you can see the salaries are close, so let's assume it works the way it is or with cap filler.

Last edited:
Team Dime said:
I will like to add that I agree with the pipedream consensus of trying to get KG at all costs. Let's reach for the sky and set our sights on hoping Petrie can get a deal done. As I've already posted previously, I've read in SI that Minny might put KG on the market rather than go through the expensive process of rebuilding around him. SI also said the trade partner would have to take Hudson and Wally in the deal so maybe it would turn into a possible 3 team trade.

If we can't get KG, then it's time to move on to the 2nd tier players to see what we can get.
The thing is though, that leaves US rebuilding around KG, and I'm not sold that that is a good idea. I've stated in other threads why I think that, but it's kind of like rebuilding around Kobe. And he kills your cap, dead. He's a former MVP, but depending on how this summer shakes out, we might finally have some serious cap space in 2006 to make a run at all those big names. My major thing is that KG has not worked for Minnesota, so why would he bring us championships? But, convinve me. What is the advantage to completely demolishing the team and acquiring KG rather than retool and concentrate some of the talent?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NewMonkey said:
Peja and Miller for KG works under the cap. That's two All-Stars for one, and I'd do it in a heartbeat. You move Skinner to Center, Garnett plays Power Forward and Kenny Thomas moves to small forward. The Kings are instantly one of the best rebounding and shotblocking front lines in the NBA. KG plays help defense/goalie when Skinner is outsized (which really doesn't happen that often any more). Your bench is Corliss, Darius, Ostertag, Bobby and Evans/Martin/House. Bibby, Cuttino and KG are a championship-caliber core. Would Minnesota do it? I doubt it, but I can dream.

Edit - For some reason, this trade doesn't work on RealGM any more. It worked earlier in the year and you can see the salaries are close, so let's assume it works the way it is or with cap filler.
I would sure hate to give up Miller in the deal.

I wonder how many possible combinations we can come up with between now and draft day.

And I also wonder if every single one of them will actually get posted.

;)

VF21 said:

I wonder how many possible combinations we can come up with between now and draft day.

;)
Hey, you asked!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I know, LP...and hard as it may be for long-time members to believe, I may actually participate in those conceptual trade threads WITHOUT threatening to hack up my own spleen.

The team is going to rebuild. Not because we're unhappy with a couple of players or just bitter because we didn't win it all. We're rebuilding because it's time to rebuild. That's exciting. It's like being able to draw up the plans for that dream house you've always wanted without having to worry about actually paying for it.

:D

VF21 said:

;)
The real question, of course, is how many times will every single one of them get posted.

I shudder at the thought of TDOS.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Don't look at it as TDOS.

Look at it as "The time of the Gathering of the New Pieces"

I watched "The Village" this weekend. I'm feeling positively 19th century. Verily.

Hey, what if we had a separate trade forum like realgm? That way we could just talk Kings when we wanted, then when we need to get our trade fix we could post there and not bother everyone else.