Waiting for whales and latest news, rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is KJ having his weekly presser tomorrow? Maybe a bit more info coming out in a few hours.

I get the feeling when our group gets announced and the plan get revealed, it will be a huge bomb that blows Maloofs and Hansen/Ballmer out of the water!

Is KJ having his weekly presser tomorrow? Maybe a bit more info coming out in a few hours.

I get the feeling when our group gets announced and the plan get revealed, it will be a huge bomb that blows Maloofs and Hansen/Ballmer out of the water!
Wouldn't be surprised if it comes next week, not tomorrow. I also would not be surprised if it comes after the March 1 deadline. That was a self imposed deadline, basically picked out of thin air, and may have been used just to grease the wheels to get this thing together quickly. Technically we have until the BOG meeting, maybe ideally a week or two before as a courtesy to give the committee adequate time to review (don't want to give the opposition any reason to claim there wasn't enough time to review our deal.) So, practically, it seems to make sense to wait as long as possible to prevent a counter from H/B, but enough time for BOG to get comfy with what we have. At the same time though, you have to motivate/grease the machinery on our side to get the deal together. The March 1 deadline may have been more about that. Also maybe to just keep the other side off balance (making them think they'll have time for a counter.) So now, at this point, if the deal is greased and nearly ready, KJ CAN actually sit back, power in hand, and drop the bomb when the external timing makes best sense. Which, again, may be closer to late March/early April. Another point is that that may be the actual public announcement, but if we can inform Stern/BOG in total confidence/privately what we have, then they'll be primed (and possibly have already reached a consensus behind closed doors) to publicly approve our thing shortly after our "counter offer" is publicly announced. Honestly, ****, we may have already done all this and have it basically conditionally approved behind closed doors and it's now just waiting to be played out publicly according to the best timing politically.

Does this sound plausible to people?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Wouldn't be surprised if it comes next week, not tomorrow. I also would not be surprised if it comes after the March 1 deadline. That was a self imposed deadline, basically picked out of thin air, and may have been used just to grease the wheels to get this thing together quickly. Technically we have until the BOG meeting, maybe ideally a week or two before as a courtesy to give the committee adequate time to review (don't want to give the opposition any reason to claim there wasn't enough time to review our deal.) So, practically, it seems to make sense to wait as long as possible to prevent a counter from H/B, but enough time for BOG to get comfy with what we have. At the same time though, you have to motivate/grease the machinery on our side to get the deal together. The March 1 deadline may have been more about that. Also maybe to just keep the other side off balance (making them think they'll have time for a counter.) So now, at this point, if the deal is greased and nearly ready, KJ CAN actually sit back, power in hand, and drop the bomb when the external timing makes best sense. Which, again, may be closer to late March/early April. Another point is that that may be the actual public announcement, but if we can inform Stern/BOG in total confidence/privately what we have, then they'll be primed (and possibly have already reached a consensus behind closed doors) to publicly approve our thing shortly after our "counter offer" is publicly announced. Honestly, ****, we may have already done all this and have it basically conditionally approved behind closed doors and it's now just waiting to be played out publicly according to the best timing politically.

Does this sound plausible to people?
I don't think any "counter-offer" would be forthcoming, they have a signed contract. No re-negotiating at this point.

I was also wondering if we may have already submitted (or will soon submit) the counteroffer to the league before public pronouncement. I would think they would want to do it asap (and definitely by March 1) to meet the self-imposed deadlines. I don't see the reason to hold that info from the public though, as news of the submittal would help swing public support our way. Unless he is looking to make a "splash" at the State of the City address or something. But at this point Seattle can do nothing other than sit and watch.

KJ under-promised and over-delivered to keep the team from moving to Anaheim. I am hoping for more of the same here! The worst thing to do is unrealistically raise expectations and fail to meet them. And he hasn't done that yet.

I don't think any "counter-offer" would be forthcoming, they have a signed contract. No re-negotiating at this point.

I was also wondering if we may have already submitted (or will soon submit) the counteroffer to the league before public pronouncement. I would think they would want to do it asap (and definitely by March 1) to meet the self-imposed deadlines. I don't see the reason to hold that info from the public though, as news of the submittal would help swing public support our way. Unless he is looking to make a "splash" at the State of the City address or something. But at this point Seattle can do nothing other than sit and watch.

KJ under-promised and over-delivered to keep the team from moving to Anaheim. I am hoping for more of the same here! The worst thing to do is unrealistically raise expectations and fail to meet them. And he hasn't done that yet.
I'm not as confident as you about there not being a counter of some kind. In my thinking, yes, there is a signed deal... but could both sides simply not just agree to change that deal? Or, does that have to be resubmitted to the NBA? Is that our protection? That it needs to be submitted/approved by the NBA?? If so, I get it, and that's exactly the condition that gives us the ultimate advantage here... the deadline for the opposition to "re-submit" a deal already passed. Since it involves relocation and has been lumped into one committee/decision, that deadline would be March 1, right?? Hmm... maybe KJ's "self-imposed" March 1 deadline has meaning after all. they can get it all together, show it to the NBA, then make the announcement Feb 28th, leaving zero time for a counter/re-submission.

And about VF's guardian angel with the twitter leaks... that may have been the silent game changer in this whole scenario. I knew H/B were screwed when they announced their deal so early. This may also be partly what is creating this sense of vendetta/vengence that seems to be behind the Robinson trade. The Maloofs must know they are getting screwed from the inside, that Sac based people (employees) are turning on them, and they are willing to do whatever they can to pillage the franchise before being forced out. Sad.

I'm not as confident as you about there not being a counter of some kind. In my thinking, yes, there is a signed deal... but could both sides simply not just agree to change that deal? Or, does that have to be resubmitted to the NBA? Is that our protection? That it needs to be submitted/approved by the NBA?? If so, I get it, and that's exactly the condition that gives us the ultimate advantage here... the deadline for the opposition to "re-submit" a deal already passed. Since it involves relocation and has been lumped into one committee/decision, that deadline would be March 1, right?? Hmm... maybe KJ's "self-imposed" March 1 deadline has meaning after all. they can get it all together, show it to the NBA, then make the announcement Feb 28th, leaving zero time for a counter/re-submission.

And about VF's guardian angel with the twitter leaks... that may have been the silent game changer in this whole scenario. I knew H/B were screwed when they announced their deal so early. This may also be partly what is creating this sense of vendetta/vengence that seems to be behind the Robinson trade. The Maloofs must know they are getting screwed from the inside, that Sac based people (employees) are turning on them, and they are willing to do whatever they can to pillage the franchise before being forced out. Sad.
the NBA has a simple solution. tell Hansen the relocation fee will be $300 mil. renegotiations are over.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member

The deal between Seattle and MSE has been signed to by both parties and submitted for approval. No changes to it now. Sacramento isn't "bidding" to "steal" the deal, they are just trying to match it (roughly) so the BOG looks at it and says, "Well, MSE is making the same amount of money, the hometown city coughed up for their part of an arena deal that we have already approved, and MSE as an organization is just a piece of ****. Why again are we considering moving the team from a place that generally supports it?"

The deal between Seattle and MSE has been signed to by both parties and submitted for approval. No changes to it now. Sacramento isn't "bidding" to "steal" the deal, they are just trying to match it (roughly) so the BOG looks at it and says, "Well, MSE is making the same amount of money, the hometown city coughed up for their part of an arena deal that we have already approved, and MSE as an organization is just a piece of ****. Why again are we considering moving the team from a place that generally supports it?"
Thank you.

Confidence: solidfied.

Given all of the above, and knowing what I know about the history of this saga, I'm even more 100% confident that this can only turn out one way: Kings stay, get new owners.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get that. But that becomes politically harder if H/B come back with a higher counter offer.
David Stern already said that this won't become a bidding war.

The price has been set. Now the only questions remaining are (1) can KJ and his team get the buyers and the arena deal shored up and (2) would the BOG prefer to move the team to Seattle and become the Supersonics or keep them in Sacramento as the Kings.

At this point I honestly think the answer is that they will stay put.

Google Ads has epic timing (and a pretty good engine, too!). Reading these posts, I keep getting ads for Whale Watching tours. The joy of keyword-matching ads...

Come on, KJ, show us your Whales already!!!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Stern said that economics had nothing to do with the BOG's decision. As the NBA gets none of the money, that makes sense.

Apparently there's a lawsuit going before a judge in Seattle tomorrow filed by the Local Longshoreman's Union as to location of their new arena, which is set to build across from the port. They say HB group didn't study other site options which is demanded by law, and the arena will affect them and jobs. They want Seattle to throw out the arena deal between Hansan/Ballmer and the city and look for another location.

Should be interesting.

Apparently there's a lawsuit going before a judge in Seattle tomorrow filed by the Local Longshoreman's Union as to location of their new arena, which is set to build across from the port. They say HB group didn't study other site options which is demanded by law, and the arena will affect them and jobs. They want Seattle to throw out the arena deal between Hansan/Ballmer and the city and look for another location.

Should be interesting.
Doesn't mean the city would pull back its money. It just might mean looking for another site or reviewing other sites and deciding the site chosen is the best one after review.

Is it just me or is anyone else mad about Sonics fans that keep calling Kings fans pathetic, naive, stupid and/or delusional?

Doesn't mean the city would pull back its money. It just might mean looking for another site or reviewing other sites and deciding the site chosen is the best one after review.

Is it just me or is anyone else mad about Sonics fans that keep calling Kings fans pathetic, naive, stupid and/or delusional?
It could cause delays and uncertainty for their arena process, while ours will hopefully be more solid and airtight. Could buy us time, and hopefully BOG votes.

And yeah, there are some classless, and clueless, Sonics fans out there. Looking forward to seeing them backpedal in mid-April...

KJ didn't exactly pick March 1st out of the air. The NBA review of the Seattle deal is already well underway. KJ would like to get Sac's proposal to the NBA as soon as possible, so the league committee can start reviewing it with some time on the clock before April 18th/19th.

It could cause delays and uncertainty for their arena process, while ours will hopefully be more solid and airtight. Could buy us time, and hopefully BOG votes.

And yeah, there are some classless, and clueless, Sonics fans out there. Looking forward to seeing them backpedal in mid-April...
I just had dinner with one of the major developers in Sacramento the other night. He said the downtown plaza would be a lot easier to get through the paper work process and can be built a lot faster than a blank slate at the railyards.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just had dinner with one of the major developers in Sacramento the other night. He said the downtown plaza would be a lot easier to get through the paper work process and can be built a lot faster than a blank slate at the railyards.
I've had similar discussions and came up with the same conclusion.

I've heard that a few times. Glad to hear it from a source with some knowledge. The railyards isn't bad, but I think DTP just has more positives location wise and the chance for simultaneous development.
Yesterday David Taylor spoke at the ULI reception at the Crocker and said that Downtown Plaza arena site will create economic spinoff.
Assistant City Manager John Dangberg also said "If arena is built at Downtown Plaza, it'd be part of larger real estate project with sq footage that'd dwarf arena."

Should be interesting.
Hopefully the judge will look at "intent" rather than if the proper motions are carried out. The intent is to put it at the SODO(?) site and everything else is just going thru the motions for legal appearances.

I've heard that a few times. Glad to hear it from a source with some knowledge. The railyards isn't bad, but I think DTP just has more positives location wise and the chance for simultaneous development.
Yesterday David Taylor spoke at the ULI reception at the Crocker and said that Downtown Plaza arena site will create economic spinoff.
Assistant City Manager John Dangberg also said "If arena is built at Downtown Plaza, it'd be part of larger real estate project with sq footage that'd dwarf arena."
This sounds a lot like what my buddy who is involved in this process told me. In particular, there are some redevelopment and new construction projects that would also result. Exciting if it happens!

Should be interesting.
I have to wonder about the timing of the arena designs release. They claim it's not a done deal but Hansen's team or someone released the plans today. I follow Chris Daniels twitter feed and with the plans released today, there is no way you can arguably claim with a straight face that the site location isn't a done deal. I hope the judge sees them or they are brought to his attention.

Last edited:
Case dismissed. Carmichael Dave had tweeted that this was the expected outcome.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave
As we said earlier, dismissal no surprise at all. Never really an issue. Sac isn't going to win this way. Not part of the blueprint.

Last edited:
Some tweets about the hearing:

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski
However this goes down, there are a cornucopia of quotes by Hansen and SEA attorneys regarding the lack of a final arena deal

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
BREAKING: North didn't even hesitate. Clearly he had already made his decision. (North was the judge)

This means that ILWU will have to wait until a later date to challenge the EIR process.

In the end, Sacramento will retain the Kings based on the strength and merits of its OWN proposal, not the weakness of Seattle's.

Shawn Borin ‏@bgpappa
So Hansen wins, but because there is no legal binding decision. So he won in Court, but how is Stern looking at it. (emphasis mine)
Retweeted by Crown Downtown

What WILL be significant about today? If KJ gets all ducks in a row, Sac will have leg up in "shovels in the ground" argument to NBA

ILWU Attorney Mann - This not a done deal. But no plans as of right now to appeal.

But Sac is a year removed from their council cutting a check, with a state law streamlining enviro rulings as opposed to I-91. Big ad- Sac

ILWU Attorney Mann expressed disappointment in decision, says NBA should pay attention to KC/Sea admission #SeattleArena deal isn’t done.

As I wrote, I think it's a tightrope SEA can walk, but procedural advantages SAC has due to new EIR law give them head start

Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler
I'm told by @McCannSportsLaw that Hansen's insistence there isn't a done deal for arena probably won't come back to haunt him with NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.