Voisin: Webber's wounded knee is huge concern

50pts said:
do you really expect managment just say "yes we are shopping webber".
Conversly, do you really expect management to just tell Vioson that they are "aggressivelt attempting to trade Webber?

Last edited:
Heuge said:
Conversly, do you really expect management to just to Vioson that they are "aggressivelt attempting to trade Webber?
A lot of trade talks that attempt to be private are leaked. It's very common.

KA_2 said:
My point was not that they were leaked but rather they were only leaked to Vioson and the other beat writers have still made know mention of it.

KA_2 said:
That's pretty much exactly the point. Voison is the only Sacramento media personality to pick up this leak? When there are other, actual journalists, not columnists, in closer contact with the team? What about the leaks from the other side? They are usually more common, as Petrie is a closemouthed SOB. Where are they?

50pts

Kingsgurl said:
That's pretty much exactly the point. Voison is the only Sacramento media personality to pick up this leak? When there are other, actual journalists, not columnists, in closer contact with the team? What about the leaks from the other side? They are usually more common, as Petrie is a closemouthed SOB. Where are they?
but chad ford also mentioned it...oh wait he could be in Voison secret society aswell .....ahhh is see now.

50pts said:
but chad ford also mentioned it...oh wait he could be in Voison secret society aswell .....ahhh is see now.
Yes, the secret society of people who have access to sacbee.com.

Her columns slowly morphed over time from, "the Kings should shop Webber" to "the Kings are shopping Webber" without any type of supporting detail. It's funny that there's never been any mention of which teams they've shopped Webber to or what they hoped to get in return.

50pts said:
Ah, but Chad Ford cited 'reports out of Sacramento' as his source. Not 'sources close to the team' not, to rehash a Voison phrase 'word on the street', not a 'Kings official' The only 'reports' coming out of Sac were her repeated mentions of it in her column. I notice Chad didn't follow up on this juicy story. Why ever not?
Also, you still haven't addressed the issue of why there is nothing but deafening silence from the other side. Wouldn't teams that had been offered Webb in a deal, ESPECIALLY if they had turned down such a deal, have no compunction about leaking such info? That's the part I don't get. Could you explain it to me?

50pts

Kingsgurl said:
Ah, but Chad Ford cited 'reports out of Sacramento' as his source. Not 'sources close to the team' not, to rehash a Voison phrase 'word on the street', not a 'Kings official' The only 'reports' coming out of Sac were her repeated mentions of it in her column. I notice Chad didn't follow up on this juicy story. Why ever not?
Also, you still haven't addressed the issue of why there is nothing but deafening silence from the other side. Wouldn't teams that had been offered Webb in a deal, ESPECIALLY if they had turned down such a deal, have no compunction about leaking such info? That's the part I don't get. Could you explain it to me?
Well then chad ford seems to find Voison a bit credible. no? Did he write that for insider ?(i cant remeber) if so man ppl that pay for that got so ripped of if he is just reading the sacbee and telling them what the sacbee said...cheaper to read the sacbee. Would ESPN allow chad ford to just report what the sacbee reported if chnaces are its just made up? depends what your opinion is of ESPN i guess.

why would he follow up on it? he said that sources say the kings are shopping webber...whats to follow up on? doesnt he say that no one want his contract (i cant be bothered reading it)?

The fact is this: either chad ford thinks she has some credability or he is also involved in the scheme against webber!

50pts

NME said:
Yes, the secret society of people who have access to sacbee.com.

Her columns slowly morphed over time from, "the Kings should shop Webber" to "the Kings are shopping Webber" without any type of supporting detail. It's funny that there's never been any mention of which teams they've shopped Webber to or what they hoped to get in return.
if what you say is true then she has tricked the NY times, ESPN, yahoo cause all these sports media outlets just swallowed her lies. But tell me what is her motive why would she dedicate all her articles to lying about webber? why? is she crazy?? what proof do you have of that? what theories can you enlighten me with?

50pts said:
Well then chad ford seems to find Voison a bit credible. no? Did he write that for insider ?(i cant remeber) if so man ppl that pay for that got so ripped of if he is just reading the sacbee and telling them what the sacbee said...cheaper to read the sacbee. Would ESPN allow chad ford to just report what the sacbee reported if chnaces are its just made up? depends what your opinion is of ESPN i guess.

why would he follow up on it? he said that sources say the kings are shopping webber...whats to follow up on? doesnt he say that no one want his contract (i cant be bothered reading it)?

The fact is this: either chad ford thinks she has some credability or he is also involved in the scheme against webber!
Wow... Haven't read very many ESPN articles have you? I can find a few articles in which ESPN articles stated that Kobe was going to the Clippers... I can name various ESPN acrticles with other lies and "hunches" with no real credibility...

50pts

SacKings384 said:
Wow... Haven't read very many ESPN articles have you? I can find a few articles in which ESPN articles stated that Kobe was going to the Clippers... I can name various ESPN acrticles with other lies and "hunches" with no real credibility...
As far as ive read kobe at one stage was close to going to the clips..ESPN didn’t say kobe IS a clipper when he wasn’t one.......there probably was allot of talk between kobe and the clippers.

Anyway Im not saying they are credible im just saying if chad ford did write what the sacbee wrote he either thinks its is credible info OR he is ripping ppl off. just a statement not an opinion.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
50pts said:
As far as ive read kobe at one stage was close to going to the clips..ESPN didn’t say kobe IS a clipper when he wasn’t one.......there probably was allot of talk between kobe and the clippers.

Anyway Im not saying they are credible im just saying if chad ford did write what the sacbee wrote he either thinks its is credible info OR he is ripping ppl off. just a statement not an opinion.
Think you need to read some more Ford articles -- of COURSE he rips people off. His "news" is 50% made up, 50% regurgitated from what somebody else says. I'm not sure you have a firm grasp on just how most national journalists covering the league get their news.

As for Voison, she is not a national figure. Some columnist in Sacramento reports that Webber is being "aggressively shopped" and the Kings are "desperate" to unload him, if you're a Chad Ford, bingo!, there's your source. You now have your national "scoop" since nobody outside of Sacto sees the Voison article. Nor is it even necessarily him intentionally being a dufus -- I sincerely doubt he has time to keep up on the internal workings and rumors of all 30 teams personally. Of course he's going to take the word of a writer close to the team. And of course in his position he WANTS it to be true. No news is bad news for him. He makes his living writing about trade rumors etc. 99% of the Sacto writers have no info on a Webb trade, but Voison does? Well Voison gets the nod. It doesn't fill or sell a column to say "and nothing out of Sacramento regarding Chris Webber".

Voison remains the ONLY "source" in Sacto pleading her ridiculous case. Has for the entire offseason. You will note she doesn't even cite a "sources close to" or anything else when she makes her statement. That's because there are none. She has made herself the source. Let the line between what she wants to happen and what is actually happenign become so blurred in her mind that she can no longer tell the difference -- and that's giving her credit for being more than an ultra-cynical gossip columnist making it up out of wholecloth to sell papers to people she considers rubes knowing they will lap it up.

If Voison herself has no "source", if no other Sacramento area writer has a "source", and if not one single other beat writer in the entire league so far as I know has a source in his own organization talking about Webber, then where exactly is this story coming from? Webber being traded would be huge news. Not even so much for his impact as for his reputation. The silence is absolutely deafening, no matter how loud Voison squeaks.

Last edited:
Did he write that for insider ?(i cant remeber) if so man ppl that pay for that got so ripped of if he is just reading the sacbee and telling them what the sacbee said...cheaper to read the sacbee
Actually, that's precisely why I don't pay for insider. If you read the local papers of a team, half the stuff they write about is right there, in print, on the internet for anyone to see. The other half is couched as 'rumors', thus not needing much credibility. I never understood why anyone would want to pay for Insider, myself.
You STILL never addressed my other point, WHERE are the stories from the other side? How many teams would Petrie need to contact to be considered not only shopping Webb, but AGRESSIVELY shopping Webb? 5? 10? 15? Not ONE of those teams leaked even a breath of a rumor that they turned down Petries offer? That they considered it, but thought the price too high?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Its all pointless anyway for the kings sake. If you trade Webber you will not get a championship. 1 because nobody out there will trade somebody of equal value. 2 we don't want anybody of lesser value. 3 Bibby, Miller, Peja, are in their prime this is probably going to be there best year. They need an experienced PF in this offense to run it. Webber is still one of the top 10 PF in the league at. At 60% he would out perform anybody we could possibly get in a trade. The only way it makes sense would be to get 2 or 3 players and they would never see the court and we would have an extremely subpar PF playing in the west.

It may just be me but i would rather have a guy hurt putting all his heart into his team and wanting to play for the kings than a guy that bitches an wines every week about being traded and being unhappy with the kings. Hell i would like to be traded from my job to being bill gates apprentice.

Last edited by a moderator:

50pts

Kingsgurl said:
Actually, that's precisely why I don't pay for insider. If you read the local papers of a team, half the stuff they write about is right there, in print, on the internet for anyone to see. The other half is couched as 'rumors', thus not needing much credibility. I never understood why anyone would want to pay for Insider, myself.
You STILL never addressed my other point, WHERE are the stories from the other side? How many teams would Petrie need to contact to be considered not only shopping Webb, but AGRESSIVELY shopping Webb? 5? 10? 15? Not ONE of those teams leaked even a breath of a rumor that they turned down Petries offer? That they considered it, but thought the price too high?
well if a team is not interested in a trade there is not much to leak. im sure there are many players teams want to get rid of but if we were hearing about every "no" there would be an information overload. I just don't think its a bif deal players get "shopped" every day and unless its a big name usually no one ever knows. I dont think webber is at the moment seen as a valuable player (im not saying i dont think he isn’t a valuable player). But you havent told me what is Voisins motive...please tell me im dying to know! Do you have some info on why she would risk her job reporting totally made up stuff with no basis.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
50pts - YOu're missing the point entirely. Ailene Voison is a columnist. She has a lot of latitude in what she writes. It is no secret that she doesn't like Webber OR Adelman. Her columns continually reflect her dislike of both.

Her motive is quite simple. She's hoping that if she says it enough, people will start to believe her.

50pts

Bricklayer said:
Think you need to read some more Ford articles -- of COURSE he rips people off. His "news" is 50% made up, 50% regurgitated from what somebody else says. I'm not sure you have a firm grasp on just how most national journalists covering the league get their news.

As for Voison, she is not a national figure. Some columnist in Sacramento reports that Webber is being "aggressively shopped" and the Kings are "desperate" to unload him, if you're a Chad Ford, bingo!, there's your source. You now have your national "scoop" since nobody outside of Sacto sees the Voison article. Nor is it even necessarily him intentionally being a dufus -- I sincerely doubt he has time to keep up on the internal workings and rumors of all 30 teams personally. Of course he's going to take the word of a writer close to the team. And of course in his position he WANTS it to be true. No news is bad news for him. He makes his living writing about trade rumors etc. 99% of the Sacto writers have no info on a Webb trade, but Voison does? Well Voison gets the nod. It doesn't fill or sell a column to say "and nothing out of Sacramento regarding Chris Webber".

Voison remains the ONLY "source" in Sacto pleading her ridiculous case. Has for the entire offseason. You will note she doesn't even cite a "sources close to" or anything else when she makes her statement. That's because there are none. She has made herself the source. Let the line between what she wants to happen and what is actually happenign become so blurred in her mind that she can no longer tell the difference -- and that's giving her credit for being more than an ultra-cynical gossip columnist making it up out of wholecloth to sell papers to people she considers rubes knowing they will lap it up.

If Voison herself has no "source", if no other Sacramento area writer has a "source", and if not one single other beat writer in the entire league so far as I know has a source in his own organization talking about Webber, then where exactly is this story coming from? Webber being traded would be huge news. Not even so much for his impact as for his reputation. The silence is absolutely deafening, no matter how loud Voison squeaks.
well from time to time ford does give some good articals on euro basketball and so on...however i dont pay for insider so of course i dont feel ripped off. Can you give me examples or articals where he has ripped of other uninfomed sources?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Give you examples? Stick around here during the season and you'll see them on a pretty regular basis.

;)

And just to set the record straight, it's not that he's "ripping off uninformed sources." It's that - in some cases - people like Chad Ford use articles such as Voison's simply because they bring out points the writer (Ford) wants to emphasize.

I'm sure there are other writers who do the same thing. We just happen to have had experience with the ones involving the KIngs.

And you will get people who disagree vehemently with the prevailing opinion about Voison's bias. She's a columnist; she's paid to stir things up, sell papers and get people talking. She does her job very well.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Furthermore. Webber deserves respect from everybody in the sportsworld. He could have easily said well i can't ever play again i will just take this 30 mil and sit at home. Not Webber he is trying and putting forth effort that most of the population would not dream of. If you don't believe that look at some disability numbers in america and those ppl don't have millions to fall back on. Webber coming back and playing because he felt like he could contribute speaks volumes to me. You can say what you want about he shortcomings off the court but his willingness to come out and rehab and show that amount of heart and determination speaks alot of his character. I don't know alot about Alonzo Mourning but the fact that he is putting forth the effort deserves respect as a sports fan as well.

50pts

VF21 said:
50pts - YOu're missing the point entirely. Ailene Voison is a columnist. She has a lot of latitude in what she writes. It is no secret that she doesn't like Webber OR Adelman. Her columns continually reflect her dislike of both.

Her motive is quite simple. She's hoping that if she says it enough, people will start to believe her.
I don't think there is any evidence that she dislikes them...she doesnt share your view but does that mean she dislikes webber? do you know somthing about Voisons relationship with webber that i don't? could you please share it with me im interested in what her motive could be? diiferent political views.....a previous argument.......?

If i just made up lies at work i would be in deep trouble and im not a columnist! she is taking a big risk..there must be a reason.

50pts

Entity said:
Furthermore. Webber deserves respect from everybody in the sportsworld. He could have easily said well i can't ever play again i will just take this 30 mil and sit at home. Not Webber he is trying and putting forth effort that most of the population would not dream of. If you don't believe that look at some disability numbers in america and those ppl don't have millions to fall back on. Webber coming back and playing because he felt like he could contribute speaks volumes to me. You can say what you want about he shortcomings off the court but his willingness to come out and rehab and show that amount of heart and determination speaks alot of his character. I don't know alot about Alonzo Mourning but the fact that he is putting forth the effort deserves respect as a sports fan as well.
ok I respect him

50pts

VF21 said:
Give you examples? Stick around here during the season and you'll see them on a pretty regular basis.

;)

And just to set the record straight, it's not that he's "ripping off uninformed sources." It's that - in some cases - people like Chad Ford use articles such as Voison's simply because they bring out points the writer (Ford) wants to emphasize.

I'm sure there are other writers who do the same thing. We just happen to have had experience with the ones involving the KIngs.

And you will get people who disagree vehemently with the prevailing opinion about Voison's bias. She's a columnist; she's paid to stir things up, sell papers and get people talking. She does her job very well.
fair point i guess we will see

First off, Chris is a 'big name' player. The whole drama of the knee and the gamble a franchise would be taking on (or avoiding) by entering into talks concerning him would be big news. You are talking about a 20-10-5 player, when healthy, and the question of health would make it an even bigger story.
You aren't from Sac, are you? Adelman and Aileen had a very major blow-up, some of it on the radio even, years ago, leading to her loss of access to certain key areas. I'm not entirely sure what the deal with Chris started out to be, but she remains VERY put out that he will not talk with her.
She isn't risking her job, she's a COLUMNIST. She didn't report anything.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
50pts said:
I don't think there is any evidence that she dislikes them...she doesnt share your view but does that mean she dislikes webber? do you know somthing about Voisons relationship with webber that i don't? could you please share it with me im interested in what her motive could be? diiferent political views.....a previous argument.......?

If i just made up lies at work i would be in deep trouble and im not a columnist! she is taking a big risk..there must be a reason.
Oh please. How long have you been a Kings fan? Do you live in Sacramento? How long have you been reading Ailene Voison's columns in the Bee?

Do you know anything about columnists and/or sports writers and the differences between them?

She is NOT taking a risk at all. She is paid to write her OPINIONS. She does it well - as I said above, she sells papers and she gets people talking.

50pts

VF21 said:
Oh please. How long have you been a Kings fan? Do you live in Sacramento? How long have you been reading Ailene Voison's columns in the Bee?

Do you know anything about columnists and/or sports writers and the differences between them?

She is NOT taking a risk at all. She is paid to write her OPINIONS. She does it well - as I said above, she sells papers and she gets people talking.
- I have been a kings fan since 2000 but i always liked them.

- yes i know the difference between columnists and writers. my apologies i might have used writer in the wrong context.

-I dont live in Sacramento but to be honest i didnt know that you had to live in Sacramento to be a kings fan (thats the point you were making right? otherwise your question is a bit odd)...

- Ive been reading the bee quite a bit on the net i didnt really look at the authors but i have read many of her articals and some a better than others. I guess she reflects the opinions of many kingsfans (judging from the bee message boards).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My point wasn't that you had to live in Sacramento to be a Kings fan. Sorry if it came across that way. My point was that if you're not from around this area, you couldn't possibly hear all the stuff that floats around about Ailene Voison and her intense dislike of Rick Adelman and Chris Webber. Again, I'm sorry. I should have made that clearer.

JUst to clarify one other point - While she does reflect the feeling of some Kings fans, it is by no means a majority IMHO. The Bee message boards are a hotbead of certain types of posters who love to get together and shout down anyone who even attempts to defend Webb or Adelman.

To be fair, some people would say that a lot of us here at Kingsfans try to shout down the Webber detractors.

In all honesty, I think the majority of fans WANT Webber to do well because they realize how important he can be to the team. They may not like how he acts or what he says and I know he lost the respect of a lot of fans with the whole perjury/drug suspension episode, but he is still liked by a lot of fans.

If he can put his money where his mouth is, so to speak, and actually take this team to a championship I think everything will be pretty much forgiven.

VF21 said:
In all honesty, I think the majority of fans WANT Webber to do well because they realize how important he can be to the team. They may not like how he acts or what he says and I know he lost the respect of a lot of fans with the whole perjury/drug suspension episode, but he is still liked by a lot of fans.
That some up my feelings on Webber well.

50 pts -

I share your view , but this board is predominantly a webber support board. There have been so many discussions here during the suspension period and the downfall last season at the end of the regular season. Most of it ended up with lots of support for webber, i am not going to say it is right or wrong, but it seems like the long time kings fans think that webber is the sole reason for the kings change of fortunes and sometimes they seem to be leniant towards webber.
I do think that the kings fortunes changed with webber and lots of other pieces, and i dont think he is the only piece and i am sure there are others who support that view, but that doesnt bode well here and any webb bashing ;) is met with lots of resistance.
when i mean webb bashing, i mean anything against him, fans were willing to give him the benefit of doubt even after he was suspended, whereas i have seen the same fans being tough on other nba players committing similar offenses.
I have even seen the fans turn against peja for the sake of webber comments and it sometimes gets mind boggling, however i wouldnt say its a majority of the fans.

Voisin for some reason is on the other side and maybe she is against webber, but i dont see her views that badly, but this board(atleast the vocal part of it) seems to dislike her for that