Voisin: Webber's wounded knee is huge concern

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11054364p-11971217c.html

Webber's wounded knee is huge concern

By Ailene Voisin
Published 2:15 am PDT Monday, October 11, 2004

Following a summer of discontent, when players feuded from near and afar, when team officials aggressively attempted to trade one veteran forward (Chris Webber) while refusing to trade the other (Peja Stojakovic), most of the Kings return, accompanied by many of the same old issues.

All eyes will be on Webber, on Peja.

All eyes will be on Webber, on Brad Miller.

All eyes will be on Webber, and soon enough, on Rick Adelman.

But before anyone learns the extent of the fallout from Webber's withering criticism of current and former teammates, the most intense scrutiny will be directed not toward anyone's body language, but rather, someone's surgically repaired left knee. The Kings' eyes will be absolutely riveted on Webber, peering, prying, probing to determine the success/failure of his offseason effort to fully rehabilitate a knee that was operated on almost 16 months ago.

And already, there is puffiness, swelling, cause for concern. After practicing three days and sitting out two sessions last week, Webber was scratched from Sunday's preseason opener "because of a sore left knee," according to a team publicist.

Sounds eerily familiar. Sounds like something has to change. Indeed, there should be no debating the fact that sometime within the next several weeks, the Kings have to make an absolutely necessary, coldly clinical assessment of their star player's physical condition, and then react both appropriately and decisively. No more games. No more feeble spinning in back rooms and public forums.

The last thing the Kings need is a repeat performance of last year's closing scenes, either by their franchise player or by their coach. Beginning the season by begging the question would be another blunder of colossal proportions, similar to Adelman returning the still-hobbled Webber to the starting lineup last March, then acquiescing as the 12th-year pro demanded - and then assumed - a dominant role that disrupted the offense. The result was a poor finish, altered roles, erratic individual and collective efforts in the playoffs, bruised feelings and fractured bonds in the locker room, and an offseason punctuated by Webber pointing fingers, yet as Vlade Divac escaped into the L.A. smog, failing to look into his own mirror.

In the end, the Kings spilled more bad blood than tears.

No, if the Kings are intent on moving forward, the feuds and the frayed relationships have to be tabled for the moment, with the first several weeks of 2004-05 devoted exclusively to a critical examination of Webber's knee, and a determination of both its short-and long-term impact on the upcoming regular season. Can he withstand the rigors of an 82-game season? What has he lost? What he has regained? And most importantly, what is the best way to maximize his talents without detracting from the considerable abilities of his teammates?

Resolving the Webber health issue is the very root of the immediate future, from which all else will sprout. Victories. Defeats. Player roles. Offensive and defensive philosophies. A coach's job security. Trade demands. Trades.

The best-case scenario has the former All-Star functioning as a consistent scorer, passer and rebounder who occasionally skips practices to alleviate unnecessary stress on his knees. Yet based on the experiences of other NBA players who have undergone the same surgery, a delicate procedure that attempts to replace the removed, damaged cartilage by facilitating formation of scar tissue - among them Allan Houston, Jamal Mashburn, Terrell Brandon, Eduardo Najera and Penny Hardaway - as well as discussions with members of the medical community, the greater likelihood is that Webber's knee problems will be persistent and probably chronic.

"A lot of guys carry some level of fluid," said Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie, choosing his words carefully. "Where that settles in at ... I don't know. But it's nothing Chris seems to be concerned about."

Of course Webber is concerned. Of course the Kings are concerned. Of course this is serious. There is no such thing as minor swelling in a knee that has been subjected to major surgery.

Nonetheless, once Webber's status is determined, it is incumbent upon Adelman to dictate a course of action that is fair and palatable to all concerned. This is not just about Chris Webber, but also, how Webber best fits with his teammates. And with his unique assortment of basketball gifts, he can be a major contributor as a primary option or as a setup man, as a starter or as a reserve. Perhaps he becomes a facilitator, a foil for the high-scoring Stojakovic and the increasingly effective Mike Bibby.

Maybe he becomes a more physical presence down low, deferring to Miller on the high post, and enabling Divac's more muscular heir to continue developing as a passing fancy. Maybe he just plays differently, plays fewer minutes.

There are many definitions of leadership. But the Kings need answers, need answers soon.

Last edited:
Nothing new for Poison....= /, though in principle, we are all asking questions. Thanks for stating the obvious (always with the opinions you try to pass off as facts), I'm surely getting my money's worth with my subscription :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It took her a while to wander on in out of the normal Voison fantasy land (I've mentioned before that the Bee really shouldn't have to pay her seperately for submitting the same article a dozen times over). But after her last feeble attempt to stir the trade winds, I think she settled down into mere bias and innuendo for the last few paragaphs and was at least actually within the realm of reasonable discussion.

I did not even waste my time reading. Once I saw her name, I knew that it was "poison". Does she have something personal against Chris Webber and Rick Adelman. I can not wait for the day hat they prove her wrong.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Oh, wonderful. Here come the winds of controversy as only Voison can blow. This ought to be a good thread.........uhhh, make that redundant thread. :rolleyes:

G

Garliguy

Voisin is the worst. Doesn't she realize that the future of our franchise, and dare I say the future of America, is in Webber's competent hands? There is absolutely no doubt that Webber will be MVP this year and lead us to the promised land. Go Kings!!

M

Markezi

Bricklayer said:
It took her a while to wander on in out of the normal Voison fantasy land (I've mentioned before that the Bee really shouldn't have to pay her seperately for submitting the same article a dozen times over). But after her last feeble attempt to stir the trade winds, I think she settled down into mere bias and innuendo for the last few paragaphs and was at least actually within the realm of reasonable discussion.
I agree with you 100% exept for the last sentence - there was NO reasonable discussion. What a hater. She could type "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" and anyone who can't see that it's all lies and innuendo biased against God's children (the Kings) are just plain ignorant.

Long live Marty McNeal! More Marty!!!

M

Mike B

Poisin is like a "Mad Libs" of hate. If the article involves Webber it is just an "insert hateful adjective here." Why does she not see what any self-respecting Kings Fan KNOWS? - CHRIS WEBBER IS THE BEST PLAYER IN BASKETBALL!!!

If you don't know that - you are NOT a Kings fan.

If you didn't know, this is where the national media get its "Reports out of Sacramento"- they pick-up the vibe of the local media and run with it. It's been reported enough it's pretty much truth now. That is unless the usually elusive and restrained Petrie has a Jekyll and Hyde complex and is at the phones furiously after dark calling up every beat writer in the country to let them in on his little secrets.

Notice how it's never a source from Portland or NY that passed along this tidbit. It's always reported as a leak from Sacramento because no other local media outlets are talking about this. There's nothing to run with.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
:confused:

Well... I'm sure somebody must have thought that was funny...

:: goes to look for someone who thought that was funny ::
i actually find voison very entertaining. i can't help but be amused by someone with such an obvious hatred for a person that they write a scathing article about him when our team was just demolish.....and he didn't even play.LOL she reminds me of a little kid that's had their feelings hurt, so she keeps trying to do/say things to try and hurt that other person(does chris know her?:confused: ). whatever real points she has is lost to me b/c after all the "hating' i don't take her serious anymore.

50pts

LMM said:
there we go again with "team officials aggressively attempted to trade one veteran forward (Chris Webber)."

uh, ok.

its not like she made that up..its been said by many other sports writers.

Now i actually believe there is a secret writers society that meets once a week and plans this.(as far as i know Voisin is in it along with yes youd never believe it marc Stein!(the peja article)) there whole purpose is to bring down webber, could they be responsible for webbers past legal problems and injury? i suspect the have started to arm themselves with voodoo dolls..webber voodoo dolls.....articles like this one a proof of that. I suspect steve kerr might be involved as well but i have no proof of that yet.

Bricklayer

50pts said:
its not like she made that up..its been said by many other sports writers.
No actually, they haven't. That's the point. There have been next to zero articles coming out of anyplace but Voison's backside saying the Kings have been agrressively trying to trade Webber. The few that have even mentioned it in passing have all used the euphemism "reports out of Sacramento" which would seem to strongly indicate they are based on 2nd hand reports of stuff Voison herself has made up. If I make up the story that Rick Adelman has resigned and that's picked up on another messageboard somewhere, it doesn't suddenly make my initial lie any more true (I use that example since it happened with a parody story I made up).

If Webber were truly out there being shopped aggressivelythere would be a long list of hacks having a field day with the story. Think of what they did with Peja after we said he was NOT out there.

This is a clear and simple case of a journalist 1) being dishonest, perhaps even to herself; 2) trying to cover her *** by singlehandedly repeating a falsity she initially made up herself; and 3) perhpas hoping that her one man campaign can become self-fulfilling (which is actually why she has fans amongst those who want Webber gone -- make up the story, press it, create a buzz, make him and management uncomfortable, and maybe they do it).

Last edited:

#1sacfan

Bricklayer said:
No actually, they haven't. That's the point. There have been next to zero articles coming out of anyplace but Voison's backside saying the Kings have been agrressively trying to trade Webber. The few that have even mentioned it in passing have all used the euphemism "reports out of Sacramento" which would seem to strongly indicate they are based on 2nd hand reports of stuff Voison herself has made up. If I make up the story that Rick Adelman has resigned and that's picked up on another messageboard somewhere, it doesn't suddenly make my initial lie any more true (I use that example since it happened with a parody story I made up).

If Webber were truly out there being shopped aggressivelythere would be a long list of hacks having a field day with the story. Think of what they did with Peja after we said he was NOT out there.

This is a clear and simple case of a journalist 1) being dishonest, perhaps even to herself; 2) trying to cover her *** by singlehandedly repeating a falsity she initially made up herself; and 3) perhpas hoping that her one man campaign can become self-fulfilling (which is actually why she has fans amongst those who want Webber gone -- make up the story, press it, create a buzz, make him and management uncomfortable, and maybe they do it).
Or maybe its true and not as ridiculous as some of your conspiracy theories

#1sacfan said:
Or maybe its true and not as ridiculous as some of your conspiracy theories
Looking at Brick's comments and looking at Viosen acticle which seems to be more along the lines of conspiricy theory. When has management said Webber is being shopped? (aggressively no less)

50pts

Bricklayer said:

yes i see now.....Intresting....very interesting indeed.... esspecially your third point:

3) perhpas hoping that her one man campaign can become self-fulfilling (which is actually why she has fans amongst those who want Webber gone -- make up the story, press it, create a buzz, make him and management uncomfortable, and maybe they do it).[/
A form of mind control to turn kingsfans against their superstar...like you said some king fans have already joined her "cause". i mean whats next spurs fans wanting to trade duncan! the heat feeling "ripped off" for landing shaq! the cavs trading lebron for Darko!!!!!! KG being cut! the nba as we know it could be in danger.........

Actually, management has generally said that they are happy with the players they have. Of course, I don't think they would say anything otherwise, Petrie and company tend to be very diplomatic or silent when it comes to these things, but based solely on management comments I'd say they have not been aggressively shopping Webber.

That doesn't mean it's not possible, of course it is. But so far this off-season the only places I've seen that idea mentioned have been by Voisin several times in her articles, and by other national columnists appearing to refer to Voisin's columns.

So really, while possible, it is only conjecture at this point. And since the only thing that supports that idea is that Voisin says so, many of us go with the rest of the information out there that says that it's false.

Voisin is doing what she does best: Formulating an opinion based upon speculation and printing it in a newspaper that apparently continues to pay her to do so. If that's how she wants to make her money so be it. I highly doubt its her intent to convince everyone that she is right as it is to sell papers and create a buzz. I wouldn't even be shocked in any sense if she came out and said she doesn't really believe anything she writes. She has a particularly enticing viewpoint for all the dissenters out there and gives them confirmation that Webber truly is everything she claims. I'm tired of arguing against Voisin's columns because I've come to the conclusion that someone in journalism has to express the opposite opinion, whether they believe it or not, to simply keep the curiousity up. I think, in a sense, her columns bring more interest to the Kings. If people are actually convinced her take has any merit, they will want to see it for themselves. I don't agree with 95% of what she writes. But hey, she's good at what she does, as apparent by this thread and im sure others and countless other discussions across Northern California.

Bricklayer

Vlad said:
This is sarcasm, right?
If you knew Garliguy at all you wouldn't have to ask that. I'm fairly sure he believes Webb eats small children in between bilking senior citizens out of their life's savings. ;)