UPDATE: Bulls match offer sheet for Zach LaVine (NEW Poll)

What's your take on the 4/78 offer to Zach LaVine?

• Total voters

dude12

Hall of Famer
One more thing on taking bad contracts to add a pick. This team just doesn’t need to add another 19 year old to the roster next year unless it is a guaranteed top 3-5 pick. Adding 23 year old guys who have some years under their belt? Yes

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We ‘can’ get better at SG. I’m sure we could even get better at PG and maybe PF if we tried. I don’t think anyone is claiming Buddy/Bogdan to be franchise players, although they are significantly underrated I find here, but it’s more about asset location. We have a finite amount of funds, and so I think it’s natural for some to want them to go to the weakest positions. Maybe the complexion of that changes if you have more confidence than I do some of the players at the weakest positions.

But, I’m also seeing a discrepancy on how Buddy is viewed by the forum. The way he finished the season, improving rapidly on both ends and being a threat to drop 20 every night, I have the belief that he can be a 18/5/3, super efficient starting SG, arguable with even a healthy LaVine. Maybe others see it different, and in fact do just view him as a replaceable bench microwave.

There is also the notion of his health. The only thing we know, and will know upon paying him, is he was bad post injury. To gamble a healthy contract on such a question mark would not go over well if he continues to be bad, by a lot of the fan base and I’m sure to Vivek
I don't disagree with any of that. There is some uncertainty with Hield due to his late trajectory and whether he can continue with that trajectory against starters. And then there's uncertainty with LaVine and his injury. There's even some uncertainty with Bogs and what he can do totally healthy and rested. None of these guys are proven commodities, imo. Also, none of these guys are in their prime yet, which could portend a fairly big step-up in a few years.

When I add it all up, if the doctors give the green light to LaVine, I'd make him an offer. I'm not smart enough to what that offer should be. I like adding a 3rd "uncertain" but high ceiling two guard to the mix because hopefully we can get at least one very good two guard out of that concoction. If we really luck out we get something more than very good. We might get an All Star.

Just because there is nothing on the market and you have money to spend, it doesn’t mean you should spend it.
Nothing on the market tho? Over a billion dollars of contracts is about to be spent on free agents...

If you don't do anything with your space, it's not like you save it for a rainy day......... it goes to waste....

Building a team takes a vision, patience, shrewd signings, trades and draftees.
It also takes player development, which is a key factor for smaller franchises to level the playing field. LaVine is a match with much of this list and certainly has a ton of room for improvement.

He's a young potential appreciating asset, Kings can't have enough of those as far as I can see it.

He's just a few months older than the 21st pick of the 2018 draft, Grayson Allen..........................

NBA HOF'er Dikembe Moutumbo didn't even play a game til his mid 20's but these days people think watching a season or 2 of a player in their teens or early 20's provides some definitive trajectory.

I'ma keep repeating this cuz it's my absolute favorite stat from last season; Lou Williams became the oldest player in NBA history to score 20+PPG for the first time at 31 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPL are just out of their minds with these defensive advanced statistics too. LOL What they lack is true context. Flimsy ass stats can't fool me. Put LaVine or any bad defender on the Utah Jazz and their stats will rise. Basketball is a team game, the focus on the individual skews perspectives too often. I blame Michael Jordan tbh.

LaVine isn’t getting close to that, no matter where ends up.

‘If’ the Kings were interested, they wouldn’t have to clear any cap whatsoever IMO
Unfortunately, this is why the call this NBA FA frenzy the "silly season". Maybe you're right, but Chicago was already expecting to pay him in the $15million range. All of the first week signings will be silly, always is.

It also takes player development, which is a key factor for smaller franchises to level the playing field. LaVine is a match with much of this list and certainly has a ton of room for improvement.

He's a young potential appreciating asset, Kings can't have enough of those as far as I can see it.

He's just a few months older than the 21st pick of the 2018 draft, Grayson Allen..........................
If LaVine is healthy, I really like his fit with the Kings. I've seen a lot of posts getting deep into his stats, but his teammates where absolutely lousy last season. It may take a season with the Kings to click, but this seasons Kings should compliment his game very well.

I'ma keep repeating this cuz it's my absolute favorite stat from last season; Lou Williams became the oldest player in NBA history to score 20+PPG for the first time at 31 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well its not like he improved a lot as a player. He had more minutes and a little more usage so his box score stats got better as well.

PPL are just out of their minds with these defensive advanced statistics too. LOL What they lack is true context. Flimsy ass stats can't fool me. Put LaVine or any bad defender on the Utah Jazz and their stats will rise. Basketball is a team game, the focus on the individual skews perspectives too often. I blame Michael Jordan tbh.
Advanced defensive stats arent the absolute truth, alltough they are a decent indicator. For example the top players in espn drpm are Rudy Gobert, Andre Robinson and Robert Covington ect. When the drpm is bad and the film confirms it, then the player is probably bad defensively.

NBA HOF'er Dikembe Moutumbo didn't even play a game til his mid 20's but these days people think watching a season or 2 of a player in their teens or early 20's provides some definitive trajectory.

Picking two complete outliers like Dikembe and Lou Williams is a pretty flimsy argument. In that case we should have held on to Stauaskas in case he became the 2nd ever 31 year old to score 20ppg for the first time.

Stats don't always tell the whole story but they don't lie either. Take a look at the top DRPM players in the league

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

One thing about defensive statistics is that they weigh heavier for big men but you can see that pretty much all these players are considered top notch defenders. You won't find a King who played full time on the list until you get to Koufos at the 123rd spot. You won't find Lavine until you're a few hundred players deep. These lists don't have good defenders at the bottom. Basketball is obviously a team game so if you want to compare him against his own team, go ahead. He's still going to be near the bottom of that list as well.

People tend to rely on their eye too much when evaluating defense. A player like Bogie had defensive moments where he trapped and ball hawked guys and looked extremely impressive. That sticks out in peoples minds and they wind up thinking that Bogie is a good defender but if you pay attention to him over the course of a year, he was below average. It's just that his impressive plays stick in your brain and his bad plays don't register as memories.

I don't know of a single good team out there that has bad advanced stats and I don't know of a bad team that has good advanced stats. They aren't 100% foolproof but they don't lie.

Larry Bird was what
Picking two complete outliers like Dikembe and Lou Williams is a pretty flimsy argument. In that case we should have held on to Stauaskas in case he became the 2nd ever 31 year old to score 20ppg for the first time.

Stats don't always tell the whole story but they don't lie either. Take a look at the top DRPM players in the league

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM

One thing about defensive statistics is that they weigh heavier for big men but you can see that pretty much all these players are considered top notch defenders. You won't find a King who played full time on the list until you get to Koufos at the 123rd spot. You won't find Lavine until you're a few hundred players deep. These lists don't have good defenders at the bottom. Basketball is obviously a team game so if you want to compare him against his own team, go ahead. He's still going to be near the bottom of that list as well.

People tend to rely on their eye too much when evaluating defense. A player like Bogie had defensive moments where he trapped and ball hawked guys and looked extremely impressive. That sticks out in peoples minds and they wind up thinking that Bogie is a good defender but if you pay attention to him over the course of a year, he was below average. It's just that his impressive plays stick in your brain and his bad plays don't register as memories.

I don't know of a single good team out there that has bad advanced stats and I don't know of a bad team that has good advanced stats. They aren't 100% foolproof but they don't lie.
There's just too many holes in your argument for me to even begin. LOL. the stats are all flawed, they can't account for how players will plug into different systems, they just give you a reading on how they performed in a finite set of circumstances that will never be recreated again.

Let me just ask one question -

Do you think in 200 years the top applied mathematicians are gonna look back at these stats and stand in awe of their accuracy ??? LOL or will they have much better equations and formulas and talk about the early 2000's like they were from the stone age? I'm gonna go with the latter.

Larry Bird was what

There's just too many holes in your argument for me to even begin. LOL. the stats are all flawed, they can't account for how players will plug into different systems, they just give you a reading on how they performed in a finite set of circumstances that will never be recreated again.

Let me just ask one question -

Do you think in 200 years the top applied mathematicians are gonna look back at these stats and stand in awe of their accuracy ??? LOL or will they have much better equations and formulas and talk about the early 2000's like they were from the stone age? I'm gonna go with the latter.
I'm not sure if it's possible to have a rational discussion at this point so I'm going to bow out.

If we signed Zach Lavine. I would be happy as heck. This team needs young talent and Zach is talented. As far as I am concerned we can trade all the vets away at this point and let the strongest survive. As long as we don't sign someone to stupid money

Why would we spend so much on a sg? I don't understand this rumor and thread at all. Kings really need a small forward next season, hmm, let's blow all our capspace on a sg even though we have bogie, buddy and temple/shump opted in.
If they really want him it's not like it's impossible to trade the others and get a SF (not saying we should/shouldn't).

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Why would we spend so much on a sg? I don't understand this rumor and thread at all. Kings really need a small forward next season, hmm, let's blow all our capspace on a sg even though we have bogie, buddy and temple/shump opted in.
I agree the first priority is SF. But what do you think of this reasoning. Let's say that they are unable to land a good consistent prototypical SF in free agency. Let's say that they could only get an inconsistent SF like a Hezonja who is a 50-50 proposition on whether he can become the prototypical 6'8" SF of the future. Isn't an alternative to get somebody who is 6'5" and can guard many small forwards around the league, but who has a ceiling much higher than just an ok small forward?

I agree the first priority is SF. But what do you think of this reasoning. Let's say that they are unable to land a good consistent prototypical SF in free agency. Let's say that they could only get an inconsistent SF like a Hezonja who is a 50-50 proposition on whether he can become the prototypical 6'8" SF of the future. Isn't an alternative to get somebody who is 6'5" and can guard many small forwards around the league, but who has a ceiling much higher than just an ok small forward?
Not if it will use up all our cap space and it's long term. We already have 2 6'6" guys that can do that in a pinch in bogie and temple. If you don't see a star sf worth the money, offer a cap flexible contract to a possible stop gap sf so we have space next year. I just think we need to be prudent with our money and using it on another sg isn't worth it for me.

Also looking at bad cobtracts makes me remember how much we wanted to offer max contracts to some of the players who we consider bad contracts now. I'm glad we didn't get Wes Matthew's, nic batum or even Alan crabbe considering their play vs their pay.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Not if it will use up all our cap space and it's long term. We already have 2 6'6" guys that can do that in a pinch in bogie and temple. If you don't see a star sf worth the money, offer a cap flexible contract to a possible stop gap sf so we have space next year. I just think we need to be prudent with our money and using it on another sg isn't worth it for me.

Also looking at bad cobtracts makes me remember how much we wanted to offer max contracts to some of the players who we consider bad contracts now. I'm glad we didn't get Wes Matthew's, nic batum or even Alan crabbe considering their play vs their pay.
The judgement part is figuring out whether LaVine is really Mathews, or is he healthy. If he's healthy, giving him a 3 year contract seems like a reasonable time line, but I'm no cap expert.

We are going to have around 40 mil next offseason in cap space and this year we have a nearly full roster as it is, I’m not so worried about cap space this year. LaVine is still young, already a terrific player and without a draft pick next season there’s absolutely no reason to play it cute and safe this offseason. He is another asset at the end of the day and the kings are in asset acquiring mode, given that nobody has jumped off the paper as a cornerstone as of yet and guys are still developing.