Poll: should the Kings match the offer for Bogi?

Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Marc Stein @TheSteinLine
The Kings, I’m told, have until 11:59 PM ET tonight to make their decision on matching Atlanta’s four-year, $72 million offer sheet to restricted free agent Bogdan Bogdanovic ... if Sacramento wishes to take it to the buzzer
So we have a long wait today, but on the plus side McNair has more time to try and swing a deal

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's considered a poison pill (my understanding) because it specifies that the Kings would pay it.
I think the problem here is that the term "poison pill", which originally had a specific definition, has now been co-opted to refer to any number of contractual provisions that make trades/matching offer sheets more difficult. It's just a terminology thing and the best solution is probably to drop the term "poison pill", especially as I'm pretty sure that it was originally applied to unmatchable offer sheets that were basically done away with by the Gilbert Arenas provision. Calling it a "trade kicker" doesn't sound as cool, but it's more precise and reduces confusion.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think that’s always been Monte’s plan. At this point, I just want him to be able to carry out his vision for the team as quick and as clean as possible, sentimental pain be damned.
I‘m honestly still not sure which direction he goes on the Bogi front though.
We don't really know him yet but what little we do know it seems clear that neither player seems to line up with what he has drafted or how he seems to be setting up. Neither player aligns with what we know "won him the job" either, being that I think he wants to have the core 24 or under right now. Possibly Barnes as the vet, but I can see him moved as well.

If Fox, Bagley, and Haliburton are the only players left standing at the end of the season I am totally fine with that.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think the problem here is that the term "poison pill", which originally had a specific definition, has now been co-opted to refer to any number of contractual provisions that make trades/matching offer sheets more difficult. It's just a terminology thing and the best solution is probably to drop the term "poison pill", especially as I'm pretty sure that it was originally applied to unmatchable offer sheets that were basically done away with by the Gilbert Arenas provision. Calling it a "trade kicker" doesn't sound as cool, but it's more precise and reduces confusion.
That's fair, although my understanding of "poison pill" always just meant that it caused punishment to the party that triggers it. 15% of this contract doesn't seem like a death penalty - yet it may ultimately be the reason we don't match. But I'm cool not using it since I just gave someone a lecture on the word "coup" on reddit this morning :D

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That's fair, although my understanding of "poison pill" always just meant that it caused punishment to the party that triggers it. 15% of this contract doesn't seem like a death penalty - yet it may ultimately be the reason we don't match. But I'm cool not using it since I just gave someone a lecture on the word "coup" on reddit this morning :D
A coup has two doors, a sdan has four doors.

So we have a long wait today, but on the plus side McNair has more time to try and swing a deal
This all seems pretty odd if they were going to match or swing a deal for Buddy. I don't think either would be down to the wire. Especially the first. If the Kings were that into Bogdan they wouldn't have tried to trade him prior to free agency and they would have signed that offer sheet asap as a measure of good faith. Every second that ticks by just builds more animosity.

My thinking... the Kings will have only 1 #2 guard being paid 18 to 20 mil., tonight or in the not to distant future. If they don't have a real sense that they can swing something for Buddy, they will let Bogie go tonight. I am sure they are trying to market Buddy as we speak. However, my sense is that they let Bogie go.

Furthermore, I'm afraid that the new GM is thinking along the lines of old Kings thinking, build this team. Rather the GM needs to build a different team with corresponding ages, around the supposedly up and coming "Star" player. Everybody else on the team currently, should be marketed and available for youngish assets or future draft picks. This requires wholesale changes. What is the new GM waiting for? Otherwise, it is just more of the same.

Question 91 of the cbafaq.com explains it.

My thinking... the Kings will have only 1 #2 guard being paid 18 to 20 mil., tonight or in the not to distant future. If they don't have a real sense that they can swing something for Buddy, they will let Bogie go tonight. I am sure they are trying to market Buddy as we speak. However, my sense is that they let Bogie go.

Furthermore, I'm afraid that the new GM is thinking along the lines of old Kings thinking, build this team. Rather the GM needs to build a different team with corresponding ages, around the supposedly up and coming "Star" player. Everybody else on the team currently, should be marketed and available for youngish assets or future draft picks. This requires wholesale changes. What is the new GM waiting for? Otherwise, it is just more of the same.
A palatable offer from another team?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This contradicts the Amick report and also the appearance that the new GM drafted directly over Buddy and Bogi.

I think Monte's "inaction" is his action. He is dumping Vlade's roster ASAP.

This contradicts the Amick report and also the appearance that the new GM drafted directly over Buddy and Bogi.

I think Monte's "inaction" is his action. He is dumping Vlade's roster ASAP.
I read Sam's article in the Athletic pertaining to the GM's presentation to the ownership. This is fine.

However, I see Barnes, Buddy, Bjelica, Joseph, Parker and quite possible Bogi still on the roster. At this juncture, in my opinon, the current roster does not seem to meet the presentation.

Sam Presti, and Darly Morey, seem to have a plan and have taken decisive action.

I say the GM needs to get cracking.

dude12

Hall of Famer
For the guys who think the smart play is to match even with no Buddy or Bogi deal in place because you don’t want to see an “asset” walk for nothing, the smart play is to still let him walk. It allows McNair to do something now looking for a low level FA signing.

Lets Hali get run at both PG and SG if they want to see him at PG. Furthermore, I don’t think Cojo is going to be going anywhere unless a team has cap room and they also have an expiring so he’s probably here to stay. I do think we will see Ramsey at least for a bit but if we are logjammed, we won’t. Don’t even know if McNair likes Guy but he does like shooters. I’d give him a look as well. The 3 guard lineups being proposed would bite into DQJ and Woodards time but I’m sure they can still get run as Barnes moves to PF more full time.........hence the possible interest in Whiteside as Barnes doesn’t rebound well from the 4.

I think Bjelica may be the first chip to fall or Holmes. Both are productive, and both come in at cheap salaries.
Matching Bogi just effs it all up. Banking on getting a return at trade deadline and A worthy return I just don’t see is way too much of a high risk low reward move.

If I’m McNair I just wear it, bank on his ability to mine the draft for good players and build a team based on athletic, long and high IQ guys who can shoot.....he’s off to an incredibly good start.

Id let him walk unless there is another deal in place involving Hield.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I read Sam's article in the Athletic pertaining to the GM's presentation to the ownership. This is fine.

However, I see Barnes, Buddy, Bjelica, Joseph, Parker and quite possible Bogi still on the roster. At this juncture, in my opinon, the current roster does not seem to meet the presentation.

Sam Presti, and Darly Morey, seem to have a plan and have taken decisive action.

I say the GM needs to get cracking.
All of those guys outside of Barnes and Buddy expire or are not fully guaranteed beyond this season. I am pretty sure that Buddy is next out the door but I won't be surprised if they start him and move him mid-season.

We have to field a roster, so I don't expect any of those guys to move until near the deadline when their contracts have value. We will also have to sign ~3-4 more bodies, most likely they will all be short deals at or near the minimum.

If house cleaning is the goal and next year is a FA bonanza, we're actually in an ideal spot. Especially with the news going out yesterday to the Season Ticket holders that their payments are officially being applied to the 21-22 season.

All of those guys outside of Barnes and Buddy expire or are not fully guaranteed beyond this season. I am pretty sure that Buddy is next out the door but I won't be surprised if they start him and move him mid-season.

We have to field a roster, so I don't expect any of those guys to move until near the deadline when their contracts have value. We will also have to sign ~3-4 more bodies, most likely they will all be short deals at or near the minimum.

If house cleaning is the goal and next year is a FA bonanza, we're actually in an ideal spot. Especially with the news going out yesterday to the Season Ticket holders that their payments are officially being applied to the 21-22 season.
Exactly and even if house cleaning isn't the goal, let what they see early in the season determine where they go. Flexibility is flexibility. It doesn't mean you immediately blow the doors off but it also means you don't re-sign pieces that didn't work to major deals that basically can't even be traded for some time while you might already have to deal with other contracts weighing you down.