Poll: should the Kings match the offer for Bogi?

Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think it's only in year 1. That wouldn't be much of a poison pill. In year 1, Kings can’t trade him without his permission. But that is standard for this type of FA signing.
Yeah but the way the twitter people are talking about it is that "it amounts to a one year no trade", which is already the default (without a waiver) on matches. So who the hell knows. I was under the impression the NBA limited the way poison pills worked and I know Bogi doesn't have the years required for a proper no-trade so we're basically working off what the Woj's of the world tell us.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Igor took team Serbia after the World Cup and Bogdan never played a NT game with him as a coach. Let’s please avoid fake news at least here on our message board :)
I literally said that.

Rainmaker was being unclear as to which national team coach he was referring to and the present tense nature of the conversation seemed to indicate it was Igor.
Also I’m not quite sure Dordevic had any idea how to use Bogi either (or any of his players for that mater) but that’s a discussion for another day.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah but the way the twitter people are talking about it is that "it amounts to a one year no trade", which is already the default (without a waiver) on matches. So who the hell knows. I was under the impression the NBA limited the way poison pills worked and I know Bogi doesn't have the years required for a proper no-trade so we're basically working off what the Woj's of the world tell us.
There is a no trade clause in addition to the kicker

There is a no trade clause in addition to the kicker
It's just the standard one year that is part of a match, though? I was sort of under the impression that most "no-trade" clauses are just big kickers, and that the NBA has pretty severe limitations on who actually qualifies for one, but I thought it was 3rd contract or 7 years of service, though Bogi's age may change that criteria as well.

Honestly, I don't particularly care other than it's a lot of hassle to keep a guy that doesn't really fit our path forward, just "so we can make sure we get something for him". WHAT IF he tears something the first day of camp? It would be the ultimate LOL KANGZ!

I mean it's a really dumb roll of the dice to commit that money just to keep someone to a trade later.

I mean it's a really dumb roll of the dice to commit that money just to keep someone to a trade later.
Dumb roll of the dice? You’ve got to be kidding.

The dude clearly has garnered a lot of interest. The contract isn’t all that large considered what other players — many of lesser dimensions — are getting. And what will be handed out down the road.

They will be able to trade him. That’s not an issue. Pretty shortsighted to believe otherwise.

A lot of folks believe it’s beyond dumb to allow what’s been proven to be a coveted asset to leave for free.

So there’s that side of the coin too.

The dude clearly has garnered a lot of interest. The contract isn’t all that large considered what other players — many of lesser dimensions — are getting. And what will be handed out down the road.

They will be able to trade him. That’s not an issue. Pretty shortsighted to believe otherwise.

A lot of folks believe it’s beyond dumb to allow what’s been proven to be a coveted asset to leave for free.

Did he get a lot of attention? Or did teams just kick the tires because he's a free agent option and then back away when he asked for 18mil?

There is no market for Bogi at 18mil

If "Lots of team want him" how come we couldn't work out a S&T with similar terms during the day and a half from Friday at 3pm to Sunday morning when he signed the offer sheet?

Again, we are committing a lot of money, to a player that doesn't want to be here, that doesn't seem to match our future direction, so that we can trade him a year from now, but in that year, all kinds of new things can happen, including that player getting hurt and us then being stuck with him for four full years.

It's a roll of the dice man.

If "Lots of team want him" how come we couldn't work out a S&T with similar terms during the day and a half from Friday at 3pm to Sunday morning when he signed the offer sheet?

Again, we are committing a lot of money, to a player that doesn't want to be here, that doesn't seem to match our future direction, so that we can trade him a year from now, but in that year, all kinds of new things can happen, including that player getting hurt and us then being stuck with him for four full years.

It's a roll of the dice man.
I have no idea if it played into any of the trade discussions, but S&T are trickier with the cap because it hard caps the receiving team at the luxury tax threshold. If Bogi was under contract, there would be more teams that could trade for him within their cap situation. Would they want him at 18m? There will be some teams that will, but will the Kings want what they are offering? Like you said, it's a gamble.

So monte is really gonna take the full 48 huh? If he’s planning on matching and screwing atl by holding their cap space hostage then I like him even more. If he doesn’t match, we’re losing out on free agents so why wait?

So monte is really gonna take the full 48 huh? If he’s planning on matching and screwing atl by holding their cap space hostage then I like him even more. If he doesn’t match, we’re losing out on free agents so why wait?
Might as well wait I guess. If anything it's more so giving Bogdan a little tossing and turning haha. In the end it doesn't really cost Atlanta much headache other than wondering. All the moves they've made fit within their available space anyway.

That’s a reason why you keep bogi. What are we gonna do with the cap space? No one wants to come here. We build through trades and drafts. Match bogi and trade him or buddy later
Burying players and having repeat Hill and Dedmon scenarios is a big reason why they don't want to come to Sac. You can't keep putting teams together on paper like it's 2K with attitude mode or whatever turned off.

Have to have willing trade partners to trade players. The team stuck in a situation or with a player they don't want usually ends up with the short end of the stick with a trade.

If you sign Bogi just so you can trade him or Buddy later, every NBA team knows why. Maybe there's a team that is making a playoff push that desperately needs a SG and they want one of ours at the deadline. But that is far from guaranteed and not within the Kings control. So signing Bogi is a gamble.

It really does sound like people have played too much 2k when they say, just trade x player for a bunch picks as if it's foregone conclusion that you can.

Also dig this. What do people really think a package for Bogdan is going to look like a year down the road? What if that year down the road his knee starts acting up again, or Walton chooses Haliburton over both he and Buddy? The sweetheart deal was likely already offered because the team offering it is doing ANYTHING their star says and he said Bogdan. And no, likely what is less than a Donte DiVincenzo level player is not worth the risk of being stuck. And a flexible cap isn't just about signing FA's. This is why I was PO'd last year with Vlades moves. He should have held onto that space like the year before. He got the player he needed in Barnes for NOTHING when likely Barnes would have never signed with Sac in free agency. Also getting picks by clearing cap for other teams is an option with space. Or packaging space and a young player can net you a star. Screw signings in FA, hopefully Vivek has learned his lesson there.

Also dig this. What do people really think a package for Bogdan is going to look like a year down the road? What if that year down the road his knee starts acting up again, or Walton chooses Haliburton over both he and Buddy? The sweetheart deal was likely already offered because the team offering it is doing ANYTHING their star says and he said Bogdan. And no, likely what is less than a Donte DiVincenzo level player is not worth the risk of being stuck. And a flexible cap isn't just about signing FA's. This is why I was PO'd last year with Vlades moves. He should have held onto that space like the year before. He got the player he needed in Barnes for NOTHING when likely Barnes would have never signed with Sac in free agency. Also getting picks by clearing cap for other teams is an option with space. Or packaging space and a young player can net you a star. Screw signings in FA, hopefully Vivek has learned his lesson there.
Expirings contracts and a late round pick. Teams were interested in a rfa bogi and we almost got young prospects (possibly a pick if NO didn’t rob the bucks blind). Imagine when he is already under contract and they don’t have to deal with sign and trades which is harder than regular trades. Maybe we can revisit bogi for turner if they get are in the playoffs or get rid of oladipo. Maybe we can revisit the bucks. Anything is possible and bogi can waive the trade kicker if he wants to go to a contender now that he has his payday. Or you can trade buddy instead. Almost anything is better than getting nothing for an asset.

Did he get a lot of attention? Or did teams just kick the tires because he's a free agent option and then back away when he asked for 18mil?

There is no market for Bogi at 18mil
He’s restricted. Good RFA’s don’t get a lot of interest because of the obvious. Yet multiple teams were trying to trade for him. And one actually offered 4/72. Facts.

As I said before, if he was an UFA we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Spare me the “there’s no market” crap. You can’t be that naive. Have you seen the contracts being handed out to marginal UFA’s? Smh.

Expirings contracts and a late round pick. Teams were interested in a rfa bogi and we almost got young prospects (possibly a pick if NO didn’t rob the bucks blind). Imagine when he is already under contract and they don’t have to deal with sign and trades which is harder than regular trades. Maybe we can revisit bogi for turner if they get are in the playoffs or get rid of oladipo. Maybe we can revisit the bucks. Anything is possible and bogi can waive the trade kicker if he wants to go to a contender now that he has his payday. Or you can trade buddy instead. Almost anything is better than getting nothing for an asset.
Good, that's not worth the risk. There was no visiting Bogdan for Turner. The one report with any legs said Indy never even considered it.

If "Lots of team want him" how come we couldn't work out a S&T with similar terms during the day and a half from Friday at 3pm to Sunday morning when he signed the offer sheet?.
You guys can’t be this naive. Seriously.

Does it really need to be spelled out?

Not every team had the available cap space. Furthermore, Bogdanovic had to agree to want to go to whatever team showed interest. There are lots of factors.

The Lakers wanted him. But couldn’t afford him outright. And the KINGS weren’t gonna help make a division rival better. Same goes for the Warriors.

Not only that, teams don’t want to tie up $$$ and wait for 3 days for a decision on a RFA while the rest of the parade passes by.

Again, if he was an UFA things would have been much different. Look at all the expensive contracts handed out to players not as well rounded as Bogdanovic. And he’s a coveted shooter too.

I don’t get how you guys can’t see the difference between interest in UFA and RFA. It matters. A lot.

He’s restricted. Good RFA’s don’t get a lot of interest because of the obvious. Yet multiple teams were trying to trade for him. And one actually offered 4/72. Facts.

As I said before, if he was an UFA we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Spare me the “there’s no market” crap. You can’t be that naive. Have you seen the contracts being handed out to marginal UFA’s? Smh.
And more facts, none of the other ones were interested enough to either pay him that or create a sign and trade to get the Kings to bite on.

Last edited:
You guys can’t be this naive. Seriously.

Does it really need to be spelled out?

Not every team had the available cap space. Furthermore, Bogdanovic had to agree to want to go to whatever team showed interest. There are lots of factors.

The Lakers wanted him. But couldn’t afford him outright. And the KINGS weren’t gonna help make a division rival better. Same goes for the Warriors.

Not only that, teams don’t want to tie up $$$ and wait for 3 days for a decision on a RFA while the rest of the parade passes by.

Again, if he was an UFA things would have been much different. Look at all the expensive contracts handed out to players not as well rounded as Bogdanovic. And he’s a coveted shooter too.

I don’t get how you guys can’t see the difference between interest in UFA and RFA. It matters. A lot.
And not every team is going to have a trade package that won't be entirely complicated both in terms of salary and the kicker involved in his contract. He basically can say no to a trade for the season and if he does get traded the other team will absorb an extra cap hit at about half of that kicker over the next two seasons from what we are now hearing. Look at Buddy for instance. If for some reason Bogdan ends up on the bottom of that 4 way race this gets ugly because you possibly still have to move both Buddy and him. Look at Dedmon, they couldn't even get all the way out of his deal after a few months of misuse.

Good RFA’s don’t get a lot of interest because of the obvious. Yet multiple teams were trying to trade for him. And one actually offered 4/72. Facts.
A lot of contradictions in these 3 sentences.

I did specifically say that there was no market at 18mil for Bogi. Not that there was no market.

There were no reports of multiple teams trying to trade for Bogi either. Inquiring about Bogi and making legitimate offers are not the same.

A lot of contradictions in these 3 sentences.

I did specifically say that there was no market at 18mil for Bogi. Not that there was no market.

There were no reports of multiple teams trying to trade for Bogi either. Inquiring about Bogi and making legitimate offers are not the same.
Well there was the bucks offer and Sam amick reported the lakers were pursuing a sign and trade for bogi. So technically 2 is multiple :p . But yeah that’s just what was reported, there could have been others.

Well there was the bucks offer and Sam amick reported the lakers were pursuing a sign and trade for bogi. So technically 2 is multiple :p . But yeah that’s just what was reported, there could have been others.
My take from that was the Lakers were seeing how cheap they could get him for. That doesn't make it a legitimate pursuit.