Tyreke Evans watch

No team is going anywhere with Evans at PG. One good stretch of games in a disappointing season doesn't justify 11 mill. It's pretty par for the course for Tyreke to rack up numbers once the season is a waste.

Tyreke is a high usage player that doesn't turn into wins. He didn't pair well with Cousins either, which is another reason I didn't mourn his departure. He does pair very well with the Pelicans roster. Evans needs the paint all to himself and there's no big in NO who wants the paint, so it's all Tyrekes. Unfortunately, Tyreke is the third or fourth best player on the team and struggles to be effective without the ball. That's why they had him coming off the bench. Despite being the #1 guy on the bench and having an ideal roster around him, he's struggled.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No team is going anywhere with Evans at PG. One good stretch of games in a disappointing season doesn't justify 11 mill. It's pretty par for the course for Tyreke to rack up numbers once the season is a waste.

Tyreke is a high usage player that doesn't turn into wins. He didn't pair well with Cousins either, which is another reason I didn't mourn his departure. He does pair very well with the Pelicans roster. Evans needs the paint all to himself and there's no big in NO who wants the paint, so it's all Tyrekes. Unfortunately, Tyreke is the third or fourth best player on the team and struggles to be effective without the ball. That's why they had him coming off the bench. Despite being the #1 guy on the bench and having an ideal roster around him, he's struggled.
No, despite being injured all throughout the early season, and having a disastrously chaotic mess of a roster around him and no defined role he struggled early. And by "struggled" we mean he struggled with his shooting. He has had a big year in virtually every other way. Then late in the year suddenly he's started and given a role, and boom. Shocker.

Per 36:
6.6reb 6.1ast 1.5stl 0.3blk 3.3TO = LeBron James
6.3reb 6.3ast 1.5stl 0.4blk 2.9TO = Tyreke Evans
5.0reb 5.2ast 1.6stl 0.6blk 3.1TO = Dwayne Wade
4.4reb 5.3ast 1.4stl 0.4blk 3.4TO = James Harden
5.1reb 4.7ast 1.7stl 0.3blk 1.8TO = Andre igoudala

Last edited:
No team is going anywhere with Evans at PG.
Well he has been playing at SF ;)

Evans season recap:

I thought earlier in the season (nov/dec) he was playing well off the bench, not at these high usage stats but looking to be a 6th man candidate.

NO was hovering around .500 before the AS break. The team looked like they were developing some nice chemistry, much more than this constant mess here with the Kings. Developed some nice pick-and-roll chemistry with Anderson and Ajinca and surprisingly meshed well with Holiday (they even seemed to not mind sharing ball handling duties, weird!). Then the Holiday and the team's only 3 point shooter (Anderson) went down and so did the team.

Along the same period, prior to March, Evans suffered more than one ankle lingering injuries and his play suffered drastically (had plenty of sporadic DNPs). Towards the end of Feb ankle seemed to be getting better as did his play of himself and the team.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
IYAM, Cousins, Evans and Gay could have been the core of a title contender, no question. Have Thomas doing his thing off the bench... Get those guys a shot blocker, and watch the rest of the western conference bow down.
I posted this in the "What's IT worth" thread but that lineup could have been assembled EASILY. Whether IT would hang around as a sixth man I don't know, but here's what could have been:

I said this summer that the Kings had two options. One was to go scorched Earth (ala Philly who ironically has the GM I wanted most) and just ship out absolutely everything (including DMC) for cap space and picks. If Jrue Holiday netted a lottery pick, so would Cousins and the Kings could start with the rookies from last summer and two more lottery picks in a nice draft as a new core. I wouldn't want to go that route because DeMarcus will be the best big man in the league next season if he isn't already, but at least I'd understand the strategy.

The other option is the idea to retool on the fly around the big fella. And it could have been done SO much more effectively. And this isn't even hindsight. It starts with moves I advocated for on this board last offseason:

You match offers on Tyreke. Yeah, it's a chunk of change but here's the sad part. Signing Landry and trading for Mbah a Moute only cost $400k less. And after the Luc for DWill swap the Kings are paying over $200k MORE for those two. And next year when Evans' contract goes DOWN slightly and Williams' goes UP the Kings will be paying over $2million MORE for Landry and Williams than Tyreke. Ouch.

So you match on Tyreke and then you draft a guy that compliments him. I was advocating for CJ McCollumn and I'd still go that way. MCW is far better but he and Tyreke are a terrible shooting backcourt and Burke is ball dominant and honestly I didn't see either playing as well as they have this season. But still McCollum isn't the best talent but he's a nice fit. I wanted either Withey or McCallum in the second round but the latter gives a McCollum/McCallum duo so let's go that route.

Then you sign Dorrell Wright and Anthony Morrow to just a bit over what Portland and New Orleans gave them respectively to give you backup shooters on the wings.

And then you make the same two good moves PDA has made in dealing for Gay and shipping out MT. Sure, Jimmer has to replace Vasquez in the Gay deal but otherwise you can still deal Thornton who until the deadline would have either be starting with Tyreke or been the third guard playing major minutes behind IT and Reke (who swings to the point) for Evans and Terry. You can still help out the Heat by taking Mason Jr off their hands.

All of that leaves you with a payroll just $2 million or so above what the Kings have now both for this season AND next season.

Ready for the best part? With all the upheaval and turnover the Kings still likely end up with a lottery pick. Maybe 10th or 11th instead of in the top seven but with that pick and the ending contracts of guys like Outlaw and Terry and maybe one more you deal for Larry Sanders. Maybe IT walks or maybe you sign him for high end 6th man money. If it's the latter the Kings are right at the luxury tax threshold with this roster:

C Cousins/Thompson/Cheap emergency Big (Gray, N'Diaye, etc)
PF Sanders/Thompson/Evans
SF Gay/Wright/Emergency wing
SG Evans/Morrow
PG McCollum/Thomas/McCallum

And if IT walks then you have Ray as the backup PG and the MLE to bring in another combo guard and/or third PG

Either way, that's a big, balanced, nasty roster built for the playoffs.

And other than the Sanders deal being iffy (maybe the Kings just draft Willie Cauley-Stein instead?) those moves aren't even difficult to pull off.

Sigh.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
A fun time was had at the Hawks game; only the second time I've gotten to see Evans play live. He had a ton of turnovers tonight, but otherwise played very well. He certainly seems to get to the rim a lot, for a guy whose lack of a jump shot is allegedly holding him back.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Evans had a pretty good game as Batman to Davis' Superman: got off to a horrible start, missing his first four shots (I think he was 1-6, at one point), but finished the game with 16, on 7-14 shooting, 4 boards, 8 assists, and 2 steals. FWIW, the Pels are now 13-10 when Evans plays 30+ minutes.

Last 10 games(month of March): 21.5ppg/6.1apg/5.5rpg with .541%FG and .368% from 3.

NO is 6-4 in those 10 games. Davis is really excelling ever since Reke entered to starting lineup and getting 35+ mins.

Last 10 games(month of March): 21.5ppg/6.1apg/5.5rpg with .541%FG and .368% from 3.

NO is 6-4 in those 10 games. Davis is really excelling ever since Reke entered to starting lineup and getting 35+ mins.
as always, defined roles and chemistry matter. when presented with a logjam of holiday/evans/gordon, the pelicans floundered as those three rarely added up to more than the sum of their parts. now that both holiday and gordon are battling various injuries, evans is settling into an extremely productive starting role as robin to anthony davis' batman. they're making each other better in very obvious ways, and the scrubs elsewhere on the roster are benefiting from it. less is more, and all that. once new orleans gets ryan anderson back and healthy, that offense is going to be rather scary...

the question will be what they do once holiday and gordon are healthy. i'm a big fan of jrue, but i still have my doubts as to whether or not a holiday/evans backcourt can sustain any level of success. you certainly get the feeling that new orleans will sell low on gordon just to unclog their backcourt rotation, but what to do with holiday and evans? can they coexist? the 'reke-as-sixth-man experiment has been a failure so far this season. could it be salvaged now that he's building confidence? i don't know what they do going forward, but i have extreme fondness for the idea of giving davis/evans/anderson a chance to develop into a potent inside-out trio...

Bricklayer

11 games since they finally quit ****ing around and started starting him:

38.1min 22.4pts (.548 .409 .797) 5.6reb 5.8ast 1.6stl 0.5blk 3.4TO

however, luckily we have this:

Ben as starter:
27.9min 8.5pts (.363 .293 .839) 3.1reb 1.0ast 0.6stl 0.2blk 1.3TO

So of course what would we need Reke for?

Oh, and hey, more salt on the wound -- Reke moved into the starting lineup just before March began, and so Anthony Davis in March:

40.1min 27.5pts (.543 .500 .843) 11.8reb 2.0ast 0.8stl 2.3blk 1.8TO

which is odd because I'm pretty sure Reke can't play with a young star big.

So, 33/10/7/3 yesterday, which now bring his March averages to:

11 games/22.5ppg/6.2apg/5.9rpg/.588%FG/.381% from 3.

More importantly, NO is 7-4 in those games. He's not only playing the best ball since his rookie year, arguably ever, but NO is winning as a result, along with Davis who has elevated his play and who's chemistry with Reke keeps improving.

Oh, and hey, more salt on the wound -- Reke moved into the starting lineup just before March began, and so Anthony Davis in March:

40.1min 27.5pts (.543 .500 .843) 11.8reb 2.0ast 0.8stl 2.3blk 1.8TO

which is odd because I'm pretty sure Reke can't play with a young star big.
This is simply mounting evidence against all those who thought Reke/Boogie couldn't pair successfully, but that's just fans. Bigger issue is PDA didn't recognize it which raises red flags.

It was never about the talent. It was about the poor use of Reke which our GM failed to recognize.

This is simply mounting evidence against all those who thought Reke/Boogie couldn't pair successfully, but that's just fans. Bigger issue is PDA didn't recognize it which raises red flags.

It was never about the talent. It was about the poor use of Reke which our GM failed to recognize.
could this be because hes an advanced stats guy?

Bricklayer

could this be because hes an advanced stats guy?
Possibly. They had a number in mind.

But I have been scowling for a while at the potential influence of local anti-Rekes who were close to the incoming team. Who knows what the message passed along was. There are times when stupid people saying stupid stuff can actually matter, especially when you have inexperienced people who don't know the team coming in. Thank god they were set on Cuz from the beginning.

If our FO panders to asinine local opinion rather than making sound judgement, this IT situation could turn real ugly if he gets a 7-8M or greater offer and we decide to match due to assumed popular local opinion.

That's a real concern. I have not been the least bit impressed with the marketing of this new regime, everything revolving around the pizza guy and the 20/20/20 accomplishment. Same shtick the Maloofs gave us for years. I'm just not sure yet what it means. If they think winning a popularity contest outweighs putting together a balanced team with less popular players, we're going to have a problem.

Either way, we'll have a very good idea where they stand 12-14 weeks from now.

Possibly. They had a number in mind.

But I have been scowling for a while at the potential influence of local anti-Rekes who were close to the incoming team. Who knows what the message passed along was. There are times when stupid people saying stupid stuff can actually matter, especially when you have inexperienced people who don't know the team coming in. Thank god they were set on Cuz from the beginning.

i don't have faith in the gm's work. he
If our FO panders to asinine local opinion rather than making sound judgement, this IT situation could turn real ugly if he gets a 7-8M or greater offer and we decide to match due to assumed popular local opinion.

That's a real concern. I have not been the least bit impressed with the marketing of this new regime, everything revolving around the pizza guy and the 20/20/20 accomplishment. Same shtick the Maloofs gave us for years. I'm just not sure yet what it means. If they think winning a popularity contest outweighs putting together a balanced team with less popular players, we're going to have a problem.

Either way, we'll have a very good idea where they stand 12-14 weeks from now.
if the pizza guy gets 7-8m, we're going to be royally ****ed for years to come. i hate to be a debbie downer but i don't agree with the moves thus far and what looks to be around the corner. letting reke walk, signing mandry to an outrageous deal.. soon to be throwing $$$ at lil pizza boy, maybe picking tweener aaron gordon. i don't know if the gerbil is a real talent evaluator or just look at the stat sheet.

Bricklayer

Well one would certainly hope that after being in control of the franchise for a year and getting to know everybody/everything, that they would be beyond the listen to numbnuts stage.

But I was not amused last summer, and remain unamused in retrospect about how a rookie owner who only became owner after a whirlwind fight, who then hired somebody's assistant video editor or whatever to suddenly take over the team two weeks before the draft/free agency...well none of these people, none of them, expected to be in that position even 6 months before they took over. They weren't watching us like that. They weren't paying attention at that level.

I have said, and will say again, WE are the Sacramento Kings, or were. They were newbies. They needed to learn everything that we already knew. I was concerned from the beginning about just who they were learning those lessons from. Should have volunteered myself. Could have saved them and us a lot of blundering about, and of course in this case, talent.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
i don't have faith in the gm's work. he

if the pizza guy gets 7-8m, we're going to be royally ****ed for years to come. i hate to be a debbie downer but i don't agree with the moves thus far and what looks to be around the corner. letting reke walk, signing mandry to an outrageous deal.. soon to be throwing $$$ at lil pizza boy, maybe picking tweener aaron gordon. i don't know if the gerbil is a real talent evaluator or just look at the stat sheet.
I am hoping the gerbil looks at the stats and takes the advise of Mullin as to the visuals. Mullin seems to be Vivek's right hand man and not PDA.

Bricklayer

Yeah, I do not consider Mullin sitting next to the owner every game a good sign at all. I'm not sure who I trust, but at least the gerbil is being active, and he's forbidden by ownership form even thinking of touching Cousins, so he can only do so much damage to a 25win team. I just don't know how you can come into the year talking about more defense and better passing, then trade all your defenders and passers. Duh.

Rookies. :p

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I do not consider Mullin sitting next to the owner every game a good sign at all. I'm not sure who I trust, but at least the gerbil is being active, and he's forbidden by ownership form even thinking of touching Cousins, so he can only do so much damage to a 25win team. I just don't know how you can come into the year talking about more defense and better passing, then trade all your defenders and passers. Duh.

Rookies. :p
Mullin is not a rookie. Surely you can't see his involvement with the Kings as a bad sign. If so, I'd like more of a clarification. The more brains involved the better I would think although the chain of command may be very murky. At the worst, it's an owner who found out very quickly he is in over his head and is doing the best he can. So far I think the results are mixed.

BTW, the musical chairs game with guards has hit the worst case scenario. Malone said he doesn't think IT will be able to play tomorrow and that Rudy might have to be a point forward as a backup to Ray. Wonderful. I think it was extremely dumb to put the team in this position and the excuse they are new at it really shouldn't be a powerful excuse anymore.

Unless the FO was very willing to leave the team vulnerable for whatever reason they had, this is not a sign of a well managed team.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Mullin is not a rookie. Surely you can't see his involvement with the Kings as a bad sign. If so, I'd like more of a clarification. The more brains involved the better I would think although the chain of command may be very murky. At the worst, it's an owner who found out very quickly he is in over his head and is doing the best he can. So far I think the results are mixed.

BTW, the musical chairs game with guards has hit the worst case scenario. Malone said he doesn't think IT will be able to play tomorrow and that Rudy might have to be a point forward as a backup to Ray. Wonderful. I think it was extremely dumb to put the team in this position and the excuse they are new at it really shouldn't be a powerful excuse anymore.

Unless the FO was very willing to leave the team vulnerable for whatever reason they had, this is not a sign of a well managed team.
Mullin's not a rookie.

But his track record is highly dubious.

Kind of the underlying problem here is this: Vivek is a very bright guy. But he's still a basketball neophyte. Now I am the last guy to ever suggest you need some deep basketball background to get basketball. I have said repeatedly it isn't rocket science. But, it does require experience and feel. And if you are a relative neophyte in the field, and if you work off the philosophy I want/need to hire people smarter than me (on this topic), well who do you turn to? People you know. And names.

We have money, enthusiasm, and a young franchise center in town. There should be no way to **** this up. But we're working on a solid decade now since I haven't done better with my predictions than the guys running the franchise have done with theirs. To say that my faith is all used up would be an understatement.

P.S. as for the IT thing -- we are very lucky its taken this long. We have essentially had one NBA level PG on the roster for months now, and an undersized one at that that we run into the ground. We already don't have a real backup SG. We've basically had 3 guards on the roster since the trade deadline (with the Orlando Johnson interlude just that). Now the main one just went out. We now are starting two rookie guards, without a single other natural guard of any sort on the roster.

Last edited:
Mullin's not a rookie.

Kind of the underlying problem here is this: Vivek is a very bright guy. But he's still a basketball neophyte. Now I am the last guy to ever suggest you need some deep basketball background to get basketball. I have said repeatedly it isn't rocket science. But, it does require experience and feel. And if you are a relative neophyte in the field, and if you work off the philosophy I want/need to hire people smarter than me (on this topic), well who do you turn to? People you know. And names.

We have money, enthusiasm, and a young franchise center in town. There should be no way to **** this up. But we're working on a solid decade now since I haven't done better with my predictions than the guys running the franchise have done with theirs. To say that my faith is all used up would be an understatement.

P.S. as for the IT thing -- we are very lucky its taken this long. We have essentially had one NBA level PG on the roster for months now, and an undersized one at that that we run into the ground. We already don't have a real backup SG. We've basically had 3 guards on the roster since the trade deadline (with the Orlando Johnson interlude just that). Now the main one just went out. We now are starting two rookie guards, without a single other natural guard of any sort on the roster.
i don't think its lucky.. i was hoping the plane would crash and burn a long time ago as this season was meant to fail by letting so much talent go. now, we are in the middle of the lottery. if this was the mastermind plan of the gerbil, we failed miserably.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Mullin's not a rookie.

I'm fed up also. I am trying to find glimmers of hope or at least excuses that mean our team will be better managed in the future. This IT injury didn't help and as you say, we are probably lucky there were no IT health problems before this. He gets banged around a lot and although that shows his heart (BFD, BTW), it also shows how vulnerable the Kings are.

This Royce White thing didn't help and as people say "what does it hurt to sign him to a couple 10 day contracts?" I have to say that the likelihood of White contributing to the Kings is less than 1%. If you are going to waste money, waste it on someone who might help. The fact that in the three games White has been under contract he has played less than 2 minutes doesn't tell me why he has gotten so little time but I can't in my imagination come up with any reson that is positive. This guy was doomed to be a failure. Now we are signing some shot blocker who just played in China. I have nothing against that except now we have White and whoever this guy is. We need a guard and if we are hoping to make a long shot score on a 10 day contract guy, let's get a guard to fill a temporary need.

This FO has left me scratching my head more than I would like. They are flailing about but I have faith in Vivek. I don't have faith in anyone else.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
i don't think its lucky.. i was hoping the plane would crash and burn a long time oach are those of a guy highly motivated to win.ago as this season was meant to fail by letting so much talent go. now, we are in the middle of the lottery. if this was the mastermind plan of the gerbil, we failed miserably.
The moves by our GM make it look like a tank but the actions of our coach show a guy with a fire to win.

Bricklayer

I'm fed up also. I am trying to find glimmers of hope or at least excuses that mean our team will be better managed in the future. This IT injury didn't help and as you say, we are probably lucky there were no IT health problems before this. He gets banged around a lot and although that shows his heart (BFD, BTW), it also shows how vulnerable the Kings are.

This Royce White thing didn't help and as people say "what does it hurt to sign him to a couple 10 day contracts?" I have to say that the likelihood of White contributing to the Kings is less than 1%. If you are going to waste money, waste it on someone who might help. The fact that in the three games White has been under contract he has played less than 2 minutes doesn't tell me why he has gotten so little time but I can't in my imagination come up with any reson that is positive. This guy was doomed to be a failure. Now we are signing some shot blocker who just played in China. I have nothing against that except now we have White and whoever this guy is. We need a guard and if we are hoping to make a long shot score on a 10 day contract guy, let's get a guard to fill a temporary need.

This FO has left me scratching my head more than I would like. They are flailing about but I have faith in Vivek. I don't have faith in anyone else.

here's the glimmer of hope: I think they are trying. I said at the time they were not ready, should not have been making those decisions so soon after taking over. But since the initial ****ups, I think they are really trying. Not the same thing as succeeding, but trying.

Let's be serious here, for the last 5 years or so there was no hope. Petrie had his hands tied, his stupid prejudices to small soft guys too, and there just wasn't any hope of anything major happening. But PDA has been very active. PDA gobbled up all the low hanging fruit on the trade market. We made 3 in season trades, have run something like 24 different players out on the court this year? Aggression at that level is pretty much unprecedented in Kingsland. So point of hope would be this: at least they are going to try. At least you can hope for SOMETHING happening. Even if you fear it might be the wrong something.