Tyreke Evans detained by CHP this evening for reckless driving

i was just thinking--could they do a re-vote for ROTY because of this incident? :|
No.

Why would they? How does driving fast have anything to do with his play on the court and his award for the Rookie of the Year? He won Rookie of the Year, He didn't win law abiding citizen of the year.

"Officers say they didn't find any drugs or alcohol in Evans' vehicle. After finding he had a clean record, Evans was cited and released for reckless driving."

Yeah, seems like trouble. Talk to me when there's a dead hooker in the trunk.

Raise your hand if you've never tried to see how fast your car could go. Anyone? I got my Pontiac Grand AM GT to 110 on county roads before I chickened out. Probably the dumbest thing I've done. I was 21 at the time, just out of college.
So you're saying you'd crucify him for that? Come on, who hasn't had a dead hooker in their trunk? There's a lot of dead hookers out there, it's only a matter of time one ends up in your trunk.

Ya, but I wasn't worth millions and didn't have teammates that relied on me.
I think it is not too late to trade Evans for someone who can realy be a perfect fit for Sacramento..

Who is Evans anyways?

Rookie of the year and one of only 4 players ( together with MJ, Oscar Robertson, and Lebron ) who averaged 20/5/5 on their rookie year.

He is such a big headache for the team at 20 years old.

Is there anyway we can swap Evans for Rubio and get some goodies in the process?

Last edited:
And don't forget the comments about how great Ricky Rubio is!;)

I can see the headlines now

"TYREKE EVANS ARRESTED"

And of course, Voison's going to post a column about how some dream boat from another country wouldn't have done this and that Tyreke is immature blah-blah-blah-blah

I had a Jay Williams scar for a minute. Really the thing that worries me the most is him getting on a motorcycle and crashing.

I think it is not too late to trade Evans for someone who can realy be a perfect fit for Sacramento..

Who is Evans anyways?

Rookie of the year and one of only 4 players ( together with MJ, Oscar Robertson, and Lebron ) who averaged 20/5/5 on their rookie year.

He is such a big headache for the team at 20 years old.

Is there anyway we can swap Evans for Rubio and get some goodies in the process?
Ricky Rubio wouldn't have done this. blah blah blah.... :rolleyes:

Dumb move on his part, but when you compare it to the things that the likes of Zach Randolph and others do it's really nothing

I got a speeding ticket when I was his age too. My car wouldnt even go as fast as his did. Driving a car like his, he probably didnt even notice he was going that fast.

piksi

Hall of Famer
he isn't very smart after all:mad:

being young and dumb is part of life I guess and surely if it was the average Joe - no one would even report it but you have to be pretty dumb to jeopardize a great thing you got going for yourself.

He just bought a new car, so he was probably attempting to push the envelope to see how fast it would go. He has pictures of it on his Facebook. No excuse for driving it that fast, but it is a beautiful car.

That is exactly the wrong attitude. It IS a big deal. He easily could have killed himself and others. It was dangerous, reckless, and stupid. If he had hit another car he would have gone to jail, and if someone had died could easily have been convicted for involuntary manslaughter. Just because you don't hit anyone with a bullet doesn't make firing a loaded gun into a crowd "not a big deal."

I get it- we have all been there before. We all speed, we all do dumb things when we are 20. I did something similar to Tyreke's incident when I was about his age. It is part of being young, but you have to learn from it.

Having people tell him "it is no big deal" is no help. He needs people to tell him "you freaking moron, why the hell would you do that. Just because you are young, rich, and the face of the city doesn't make you immune to things like this." He needs to be embarrassed and ashamed. That is how you learn from something like this. If everyone says it is no big deal, he will think he can do it again.

He is a good kid, and I think has the right frame of mind to learn from this. He also got lucky as hell that something more didn't come of this. maybe my perspective is different as a parent, but I would go through four stages on hearing this news: 1) thank god he is alright, 2) thank god he didn't hurt anyone else, 3) hope that he is not so stupid again, and 4) dress him down as much as possible to damn well make sure it doesn't happen again. I certainly would not tell him it is "no big deal..."

What's the point of getting a hot new car if you can't test it?:p

The kid got pedal happy with his new ride...big deal. This even happen to a bunch of old farts with new car as well.

I used to drive like an idiot when I was his age also, but he needs to look at bobby hurley. **** can happen in a split second. Life is short and the franchise it depending on this young man. That said I think it is a good learning experince. Remember its like when Kmart was here and didn't wear a seatbelt. Young and stupid. He will learn.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Anyone know what the penalty for reckless driving is?

How does this compare to drunk driving? On the surface, seems like the offenses are pretty comparable.

How does this compare to drunk driving? On the surface, seems like the offenses are pretty comparable.
Nothing like drunk driving... he'll get like a $500 ticket, lose points in the license (no driving school allowed to make up for reckless driving). His insurance rates will double... Not like he can't afford it.

Not saying it was OK... just that the PR hit is a lot worse than the $$ hit he'll take for this.

Much ado about nothing. What 20yo male *hasn't* taken their Toyota Camry to 120? Replace that car with something fast and you've got a major temptation.

Frankly, I'm much more concerned that he drove a murderer around during a killing.

If you were 20 years old and this was your car, you cant tell me you wouldn't push triple digits. If you were any age you would try it at some point, we all would. He happened to get caught and he will learn from his lesson. He learned from his lesson when he got tossed in the last game of the year. He has a good head on his shoulders....

Plus what else is there to do if you are not 21 and live in Sac??:p

Alas, been his age, pulled that trick, albeit in a car that probably had a lot lower top speed. A reminder sometimes that Tyreke is our franchise player... and is still not old enough to officially drink. All those dumb thoughts you had at 20? He's still having them.
Sure, a lot of us have been there. But the take from this should not be "it was stupid, but...". No but. It was simply stupid, stupid, stupid. No matter how old or young you are, you're putting other people's lives on the line when you leave your driveway. Don't want to get too political in this forum, but look up how many Americans die in auto accidents every year versus how many die from acts of terrorism. We need to get our heads on straight here.

Sure, a lot of us have been there. But the take from this should not be "it was stupid, but...". No but. It was simply stupid, stupid, stupid. No matter how old or young you are, you're putting other people's lives on the line when you leave your driveway. Don't want to get too political in this forum, but look up how many Americans die in auto accidents every year versus how many die from acts of terrorism. We need to get our heads on straight here.

BINGO. "Stupid, but..." is not the correct response. "Stupid, and I am glad you didn't harm anyone and hope you learn from the experience" is a much better one. Maybe we have all been there, but it doesn't make it less stupid. It was stupid plain and simple. Reke doesn't need us making excuses for him...

This does tend to debunk the view that Tyreke would be a maturing influence on Cousins.
Not true. Most people, even though it's unfortunate, learn and adjust from experience. Tyreke, after doing something like this can actually help lead Cuz in the other, better direction.

Dumb on Tyreke. Really dumb. However..

1) If he learns from it, this will be no big deal in a few years. Just a dumb mistake that we are all capable of.

2) I'm thankful it was just speeding and not some of the other things we've seen with athletes over the years... (See Randolph, Kobe, Big Ben, LT, Stallworth, etc etc etc..)

Learn from this Tyreke.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's dumb and hopefully he learned his lesson, if that is the most dangerous thing he is doing then he's probably a pretty fine young man. Let's just say, been there, done that, and I'll add that in cars designed for triple digits the sense of speed isn't there the way it is in a minivan or ecobox. But that isn't and excuse and still it is stupid because he puts everyone else in danger that isn't expecting to be passed by someone travelling twice their speed. So stop it!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
i was just thinking--could they do a re-vote for ROTY because of this incident? :|
You do realize that you look like an idiot, right? Your like the 12 year old child trying to get involved in the conversation of adults. Go back outside and play with people your own age.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Not even close! Drunk driving your license is suspended. Huge fine. Not a good thing. All that Tyreke will get is a fine, and of course a black mark on his license. I was pulled over for going 90 on the causeway many many years ago. I had a lot of crap going on in my head and my mind was elsewhere. All of a sudden I look in my rearview mirror and see red flashing lights. I told the patrolman that I didn't even realize I was going that fast. He laughed and said he believed me because I passen him on the causeway.. I was sited for speeding and reckless driving. Cost me more money than I had at the time. Never happened again.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Reckless is two steps below DUI, like bajaden says the DUI is an automatic license suspension and the fine is higher plus court fees. Sometimes you can get a DUI down to a "wet reckless" which carries the fine of a reckless + the insurance companies flag you as a DUI driver and any DUIs in ten years will be treated as a repeat offense. As with just about any ticket the real cost is not the fine but the penalties you will pay in insurance premiums. DUIs are significantly worse in that regard.

But for a young multimillionaire, it's all pocket change.

But he was drunk right?? ..no? Then he must have been high? ...no?? ..Then he must have been with a prostitute?? ..no???

Wait...so this is just about a 20 year old speeding on a freeway in his new car? During a holiday weekend night? This should be filed under 'not a big deal'.