Tick-tock: Time's up for Artest

Well, if he comes I'll support it and if he doesn't I'll support that too. Basically I trust Geoff and will support the decision he makes. After watching the interview SacTownKid posted I don't think he's crazy. He doesn't sound crazy anyways by what he said there. Basically what I'm getting from him is he's sick of being thought of as that guy on indiana who went crazy and beat up a fan and IS crazy. Also Carlisle is apparently one of those guys who really micro manages the game and I think rick would just let him play.

VF21 said:
Whoa.

I just took a few minutes and read some of the vast multitude of threads/posts about this at PacersDigest. The consensus is about 3 to 1 in favor of totally washing their hands of him, even though some of them admit he's the best player on their team right now. Their comments about him make the most vile stuff posted here about Webber look like testimonials.

If they're THAT fed up with him, I'm more convinced than ever that Ron Artest is simply a liability we do not need.
3 to 1?

I'd say it's more like 200 to 1, but I'm not sure I could find one person in favor of keeping him

trust me when i tell u, u can dismiss the kravitz column....hes voisin times 10...voisin hopes she can grow up one day and be like bob...

he has had a personal vendetta against ron for quite some time....and it all comes down to rons refusal to give him an interview....and its only gotten worse...no matter what happens, bob finds a way to spin things in a way to defame ron and criticize both walsh for bringing him to the pacers and walsh and bird for keeping him here...

soup mentioned kravitz is colts guy...thats not really true...hes bashed the colts the same...not until this undefeated season has he been forced to back off-what else is he gonna do? just wait till they lose-if they lose....and heaven forbid if they dont win the superbowl...it will be a bloodbath...

ultimately this comes down to irreconciliable differences between artest and carlisle....everything else is window dressing....yes, ron has issues as ive discussed before....and they play a role in his not being able to play for carlisle....

thats why the situation he goes do has to be one that is suitable for his success and therefore the teams success....is that fair? shouldnt all guys be able to play no matter what? maybe...but ron isnt like most guys....he is incredibly talented, but with a very different emotional and mental makeup....

ron needs a system that allows him a great deal of freedom....if given that he will produce unbelievably, mark my words...the thing that differentiates him from a spoiled brat ball hog is this-hes not a spoiled brat....and he raises the level of intensity of the whole team...when u watch him play defense the way he does, u cant help notice how it changes the other guys defense as well....and its really not hard to forgive a guy for trying to take over a game on the offensive end when u see him putting forth so much effort on the defensive end....

i will say this...i think he needs to go to a relatively young team....ron always does great with the young guys and rookies...he literally took granger under his wing....why that may scare some, it shouldnt...no one works harder off the court, with endless workouts...he and grangers countless one on one battles are already somewhat of a legend, and it should be very interesting when ron returns to face the pacers and the 2 go at it...

quite honestly, new york is the ideal situation...isiah thomas loves artest...they need a sf...hes from there...he wants to go there...they have larry brown...the guy who thinks he can fix anybody...now-it would be interesting-because larry is very structured...but hes also incredibly forgiving when it comes to a guy that puts forth the effort that ron does...it would probably drive larry crazy to the point larry would resign...which zeke would love because he could get back on the bench and coach ron and the rest of the youngins he would have accumulated...

two problems though, its the knicks-who are a rival and an eastern conference team....and two, larry bird fired isiah and with the way this has went down, i cant see larry ever giving ron what he wants-let alone giving thomas what he wants....

so i dunno...truthfully i think he might be a great fit in new orleans...i think byron scott is the perfect coach for him...and makes me wish scott wouldve got the job way back when...they are a young team with some great young talent....and i wouldnt be shocked, if a deal was made there involving pj brown....

ron is high maintenance, no other way around it...but in a day where stars are coddled, rons situation is a bit different than other stars, though ultimately the results are somewhat similar....

wherever he goes, he will provide ups and downs, but i truly believe the ups will far outweigh the downs...but i will say this, all things end, and when it ends with ron, it will probably be a bit messy...u just hope that time doesnt come too quickly and the ride was worth it....

P.S. he would probably do fairly well in LA...know u dont wanna hear that....but phil could handle him better than most...

my honest opinion is, though the kings desperately need someone like him, i dont think he would be a good fit...

I don't see him going to NY/Cleveland/Miami. Simply because Miami/NY are conference rivals, and Cleveland are in the same division and a threat. Also Indy wouldn't be getting back Wade/Shaq/LeBron/Z/Hughes.

Didn't think about LA, but I doubt they give up Odom or that they want his contract.

Kings113 said:
I don't see him going to NY/Cleveland/Miami. Simply because Miami/NY are conference rivals, and Cleveland are in the same division and a threat. Also Indy wouldn't be getting back Wade/Shaq/LeBron/Z/Hughes.

Didn't think about LA, but I doubt they give up Odom or that they want his contract.
i actually think LA would love to give up odoms contract for artest and bender or cros deal....think of the cap space they would have in 2 years...

that being said, theres no way the pacers would take it...

i said this in the other thread but if artest did go to LA it would probably involve one of LAs centers...

and yes i agree...the chances of him going to NY/Clev/Miami are unbelievably slim....though the knicks would probably be willing to give up more than anyone in the league to get him..plus they would probably take tinsley in a trade-something i think the pacers want as well...

i just think the knicks are the last team in the league the pacers want to make a deal with....and that includes detroit....

im aware of benders impending retirement...

the pacers might choose to hold off on that if they feel that using his contract might facilitate the move of artest...

i have a feeling bird is pretty pissed....they got the bender situation finally resolved and he gets on a plane for europe to scout, only to then have artest go into trade mode...

im really wondering what all is going thru birds mind...

Last edited:
Vlad said:
2) I hate the Kings' softness too. But, I don't think that trading for Ron is the answer.
Agreed. Not only do the kings need toughness, they need a leader, and Artest is NOT that leader.

But man, it'd be sweet to see the kings shave stuff into their head.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Jerryaki said:
Agreed. Not only do the kings need toughness, they need a leader, and Artest is NOT that leader.

But man, it'd be sweet to see the kings shave stuff into their head.
Yes, Imagine how dangerous it would be to sit close to the floor

Hmmm great, Peja for Artest, an attempt to solve the teams woes for 50+ remaining games, which can backfire and also have Artest skimpering back to overhyped gotham city next year like Marbury did who so badly wanted to go "home" and did nothing plus the Kings still have the "eternally overpaid 3 amigos" clinging to this team for a while. How about just sticking to what we have and just forget about even playoffs this year. This is just not worth it. This dude is clueless.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PFFFT!! said:
Hmmm great, Peja for Artest, an attempt to solve the teams woes for 50+ remaining games, which can backfire and also have Artest skimpering back to overhyped gotham city next year like Marbury did who so badly wanted to go "home" and did nothing plus the Kings still have the "eternally overpaid 3 amigos" clinging to this team for a while. How about just sticking to what we have and just forget about even playoffs this year. This is just not worth it. This dude is clueless.
Artest can't go anywhere until 2009. Part of the beauty of it. Peja is the one with one foot out the door.

Brick, then why is everyone talking about Artest "leaving next season for NYC"? I thought he had the same contract as Peja? There is a big risk on this guy, the minute some little dust particle appears on something, hes probably going to blow up on something or someone and bring down the whole ballclub.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PFFFT!! said:
Brick, then why is everyone talking about Artest "leaving next season for NYC"? I thought he had the same contract as Peja? There is a big risk on this guy, the minute some little dust particle appears on something, hes probably going to blow up on something or someone and bring down the whole ballclub.
No idea who everybody is, or why they are saying that, but they are wrong. ;)

Artest is signed through 08-09. And to about what Peja earns now. If he stays sane he is an increidble bargain for years.

Ther basically ARE no negative issues surrouodnign Artestcept the underlying issue of his sanity. Pretty much if you think he might hold it togetehr, everything else argues strongly for getting him. If you think he's nuts, you may not want him, but its not because of his contract.

I think the sanity of all top performers is questionable -- some more than others of course, but it kinda comes with the territory to at least some extent. Ok... maybe this one is a little extensive. ;)

Bricklayer said:
No idea who everybody is, or why they are saying that, but they are wrong. ;)

Artest is signed through 08-09. And to about what Peja earns now. If he stays sane he is an increidble bargain for years.

Ther basically ARE no negative issues surrouodnign Artestcept the underlying issue of his sanity. Pretty much if you think he might hold it togetehr, everything else argues strongly for getting him. If you think he's nuts, you may not want him, but its not because of his contract.
Artest is signed through 2007-2008, with a player option for 2008-2009. After 2007-2008, he has made it abundantly clear that he will opt out of his contract, and if he's playing for a western conference team, sign with New York.

He wants to play for New York. If he was traded to Sacramento, I wonder if he'd be more interested in basketball or promoting his clothing line and record label (insanity aside).

Vlad said:
Artest is signed through 2007-2008, with a player option for 2008-2009. After 2007-2008, he has made it abundantly clear that he will opt out of his contract, and if he's playing for a western conference team, sign with New York.

He wants to play for New York. If he was traded to Sacramento, I wonder if he'd be more interested in basketball or promoting his clothing line and record label (insanity aside).
He said recently he has people for him to take care of the music producing, so he can concentrate on 'ball. I'm sure the same would be when his clothing line is set-up.

Kings113 said:
He said recently he has people for him to take care of the music producing, so he can concentrate on 'ball. I'm sure the same would be when his clothing line is set-up.
My point was that Artest is already a distracted man. He said that he wants to play for New York. If he was traded to Sacramento, I think he'd be more unhappy and more distracted. It seems to me that all the problems he has with Indiana would be the same problems (maybe worse) he would have playing for the Kings:

1. Indiana and Sacramento are both non-New York, small market teams.
2. More importantly, Ron wants to be a Kobe/Lebron-type player. Do you think he'd have that opportunity on a team that plays the Princeton offense and is already loaded with potent offensive players?

I'd much rather keep a guy like Peja, who yesterday said, "I'm here. I like being here. I believe in this team, and I believe we have the potential to be good."

ski said:
He also recently said he wants to win a championship in Indiana. How long did that last?
Time.

Besides, that's irrelevant to having organization for things off the court.

Vlad said:
My point was that Artest is already a distracted man. He said that he wants to play for New York. If he was traded to Sacramento, I think he'd be more unhappy and more distracted. It seems to me that all the problems he has with Indiana would be the same problems (maybe worse) he would have playing for the Kings:

1. Indiana and Sacramento are both non-New York, small market teams.

2. More importantly, Ron wants to be a Kobe/Lebron-type player. Do you think he'd have that opportunity on a team that plays the Princeton offense and is already loaded with potent offensive players?

I'd much rather keep a guy like Peja, who yesterday said, "I'm here. I like being here. I believe in this team, and I believe we have the potential to be good."
I'm fine with Peja on the team, don't want him gone or hate him, I like him quite a bit. But if there's a deal for a player like Artest/Deng/Pierce/Bosh/good young prospects, etc. You do it.

Artest said "in an ideal world" he'd want to go to NY. Never heard he wants to be like Kobe/LeBron/T-Mac, he just wants more offensive oppurtunities. I believe that'd be fine here in Sac, indeed.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/38290/20051213/walsh_on_artest_he_said_hed_go_anywhere/ - read that, too.

Last edited:
Vlad said:
Weren't we lamenting our lack of a go-to guy not so long ago? Someone who can carry the team when the Princeton gets bogged down?

Kings113 said:
Artest said "in an ideal world" he'd want to go to NY. Never heard he wants to be like Kobe/LeBron/T-Mac, he just wants more offensive oppurtunities. I believe that'd be fine here in Sac, indeed.
"Here I don't think I'm going to have a chance to maximize my opportunity for my potential," he said. "When I first got here, all I wanted to do was play defense. I never really cared about offense, but what I see is players like Kobe (Bryant), Tracy (McGrady), (Gilbert) Arenas and Jermaine (O'Neal) getting the opportunity to maximize their potential on the court and to get paid. I'm out of my character a little bit here.
"I don't think I'm going to maximize my opportunity just playing defense. I have to show I'm one of the premier players on offense on the wing. So when it's that time, there's no question what type of player I am."

Ron is unhappy with 15 FGA per game and being the second leading scorer on a title-contender. Why do you think he'd be happy in Sacramento? There is no Kings player who averages more than 15 FGA per game (Bibby-15, Peja-14, Bonzi-13, 'Reef-11, Brad-10).

LPKingsFan said:
Weren't we lamenting our lack of a go-to guy not so long ago? Someone who can carry the team when the Princeton gets bogged down?
I don't think Ron is that go-to-guy. Even if he wasn't crazy, his offensive skills are nowhere near those of Lebron, Kobe, or T-Mac.

Vlad said:
I don't think Ron is that go-to-guy. Even if he wasn't crazy, his offensive skills are nowhere near those of Lebron, Kobe, or T-Mac.
I may or may not agree with you. I simply don't know. Ron's point is that he thinks he does have those skills, but Carlisle's system holds him back. Is he right? I guess we'll know for sure in 10 days or so.

Vlad said:
"Here I don't think I'm going to have a chance to maximize my opportunity for my potential," he said. "When I first got here, all I wanted to do was play defense. I never really cared about offense, but what I see is players like Kobe (Bryant), Tracy (McGrady), (Gilbert) Arenas and Jermaine (O'Neal) getting the opportunity to maximize their potential on the court and to get paid. I'm out of my character a little bit here.
"I don't think I'm going to maximize my opportunity just playing defense. I have to show I'm one of the premier players on offense on the wing. So when it's that time, there's no question what type of player I am."

Ron is unhappy with 15 FGA per game and being the second leading scorer on a title-contender. Why do you think he'd be happy in Sacramento? There is no Kings player who averages more than 15 FGA per game (Bibby-15, Peja-14, Bonzi-13, 'Reef-11, Brad-10).
Because of our passing mentaility, and Brad/Bibby wouldn't have to score 17-20 pts basically every game. Ditto Bonzi.

I just think it'd be fine here. Do you think he'd be better in Golden State with Jay Rich, Baron Davis, Troy Murphy and a bunch of young prospects? ;)

LPKingsFan said:
point is that he thinks he does have those skills, but Carlisle's system holds him back. Is he right? I guess we'll know for sure in 10 days or so.
Also agreed.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Now, without getting into the parts I agree with ro don't agree with, ponder for a second what you posted and where its coming from. Would you, for instance, have listened to and taken for gospel a Voison hit piece on Webber last year (didnt the unselfish offense comment sound familiar? Gotta love the underdogs, when you aren't responsible for winning that is)? What about that one Portland columinst -- name eludes me at the moment, who absolutely detests Bonzi Wells and rips him to shreds every time he gets an opportunity?

This article is meant to be inflamatory, but frankly it doesn't have much credibility. I have my own Artest ngihtmares that are far more graphic than anything this guy can come up with because he's mad and insulted by Ron. And then I have my Kings nightmares -- that of a sad soft passive team pandering to sweet little old ladies and soft touches everywhere while slowly sinking back into the morass of medicocrity and irrelevancy. A team so wussy that even I eventually just don't care anymore. And I look at Artest, and I see a jarring wakeup call. For better or worse, something to save us from ourselves.
Amen. For the sake of having a pulse and wanting to win, to do something about every team abusing us on the way to the basket, let's go for it!

Kings113 said:
I just think it'd be fine here. Do you think he'd be better in Golden State with Jay Rich, Baron Davis, Troy Murphy and a bunch of young prospects? ;)
More importantly, do you think WE'D be better off with Golden State having a core of Baron/Artest/J-Rich/Murphy? And I fully expect Diogu to be beast within years.