"SNEEK PEEK" of Brandon Jennings and Johnny Flynn

Wow you guys are really harsh on a 19 year old kid who was egged on by the media.....I bet you if it was Rubio saying all this you guys would admire his courage to say something like that :rolleyes:

Rubio isn't stupid enough to disrespect someone for no reason. You know, it really doesn't matter that Jennings thinks he's better than Rubio. If that was it, fine. He actually might be. But you do not say it in a press conference, or in public. It's disrespectful and it shows him to be both jealous and immature.

And BTW, your constant criticism of Rubio is getting silly. There are just as many people here who don't like him as there are people who do. Stop crying victim all the time; it gets tiring.

..and Brandon Jennings doesn't have time to mature..?

Fool is 19 years old...

Always, Always, Always room and time for improvement.

You can teach skills.

YOU CAN'T TEACH JUMPING.

AHEM.

RUBIO.
I can never understand the logic. Why do people have to dump on one player to promote another? It makes absolutely no sense. But really, don't let that stop you. I can see why you like Jennings. Two peas in a pod.

Jumping alone is nowhere near enough. If he doesn't have the mental acumen to make valid decisions, he's going to be totally useless as a point guard in the NBA. Jennings needs to learn to think twice and speak once. He's an ego with legs and has done nothing thus far to warrant his opinion of himself, IMHO. And it has nothing to do with Rubio, BTW...

As you said, "Fool is 19 years old." Your words, not mine. I do agree with one of them, however... Fool needs to shut up and let his game speak for him, while he still has the chance. He could talk himself right out of a pretty lucrative career in the NBA if he's not careful.

I still think that Jennings or Flynn are our best option sat PG right now. Sure Jennings has that certain ego about him some call it confidence and swagger others call it disrespect. I however think you guys cannot judge this kids character on one or two interviews. It's totally unfair to him.

I'm just saying ego is not all the bad, and it sure as hell dose not guaruntee he will have a bad NBA career.

And for those of you saying he hasn't proved anything. You need to realize that the NBA game is very different from the Euro game. I recall Josh Childress a very solid NBA starter who in his first year in the Euros put up vastly subpar numbers. And also Amick said that Jennings was the best one at the workout yesterday. Maybe It's just me but if I were to go up against two of the highest rated point guards in the draft and I outpreformed them that enough would put a swagger in my step.

I still think that Jennings or Flynn are our best option sat PG right now. Sure Jennings has that certain ego about him some call it confidence and swagger others call it disrespect. I however think you guys cannot judge this kids character on one or two interviews. It's totally unfair to him.

I'm just saying ego is not all the bad, and it sure as hell dose not guaruntee he will have a bad NBA career.

And for those of you saying he hasn't proved anything. You need to realize that the NBA game is very different from the Euro game. I recall Josh Childress a very solid NBA starter who in his first year in the Euros put up vastly subpar numbers. And also Amick said that Jennings was the best one at the workout yesterday. Maybe It's just me but if I were to go up against two of the highest rated point guards in the draft and I outpreformed them that enough would put a swagger in my step.
That interview was not the first time Jennings put up some red flags surrounding his character.

Look, I'm not going to get into this too much. Jennings could well be a very good player, but I have serious doubts about his mental strength and his character. His ego far outweighs his talent. I'd rather get a guy who shows himself to be level-headed and a leader, something Jennings has never done.

I'd take Flynn over Jennings 10 times out of 10.

Rubio isn't stupid enough to disrespect someone for no reason. You know, it really doesn't matter that Jennings thinks he's better than Rubio. If that was it, fine. He actually might be. But you do not say it in a press conference, or in public. It's disrespectful and it shows him to be both jealous and immature.

And BTW, your constant criticism of Rubio is getting silly. There are just as many people here who don't like him as there are people who do. Stop crying victim all the time; it gets tiring.

I can never understand the logic. Why do people have to dump on one player to promote another? It makes absolutely no sense. But really, don't let that stop you. I can see why you like Jennings. Two peas in a pod.
I don't criticize Rubio I criticize all of his fans on here who think that he is the second coming of Steve Nash or something. It is just absolutely ridiculous how some people think he could just single handedly turn this franchise arond. I know I am over exaggerating but that is what it seems like.

I seem to recall a certain Sarunas Jasikevioicus who everyone thought would be the next big european thing, and now he is nowhere to be found. I am not comparing Rubio to him just stating a fun fact ;)

I don't criticize Rubio I criticize all of his fans on here who think that he is the second coming of Steve Nash or something. It is just absolutely ridiculous how some people think he could just single handedly turn this franchise arond. I know I am over exaggerating but that is what it seems like.

I seem to recall a certain Sarunas Jasikevioicus who everyone thought would be the next big european thing, and now he is nowhere to be found. I am not comparing Rubio to him just stating a fun fact ;)

Fair enough. But if you've read all my posts you'll know I don't think Rubio is a sure thing. I like him, but he'll never be a franchise player. I'd be equally as happy with Flynn.

And regarding the Jennings thing, I'd have reacted the same way no matter who he dogged. I didn't jump on him just because it was Rubio.

I seem to recall a certain Sarunas Jasikevioicus who everyone thought would be the next big european thing, and now he is nowhere to be found. I am not comparing Jennings to him just stating a fun fact ;)
Fixed that for you. ;)

I think it's a bad idea for either side of this argument to be pointing at the one they don't like as an untested Euro player who may not do well in the NBA, since they both qualify for that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unfair? Nope... It's pretty standard fare on message boards.

It also doesn't guarantee he'll be able to live up to his own hype.

And why exactly is it again that Brandon Jennings chose to go play in Europe rather than play here??

I don't like Jennings for a variety of reasons. I do not think he'd be a good fit for the Kings.

As far as some of us thinking Ricky Rubio could be the second coming of Steve Nash, I don'[t think that's entirely out of the realm of possibility. He has game, and basketball smarts and more potential than I've seen in a very long time. The biggest question is whether or not that can translate to the NBA. Well, that and his size...

I don't see that kind of upside with Jennings. I see someone who, as I've said several times now, has an ego without the accessories to go with it.

Basketball IQ is mandatory for a successful PG in the NBA. I'm not sure Jennings has it...

One or 2 interviews?!

C'mon, now you are just being ignorant. This is the stigma thats followed this kid for years now. Its not something that has just appeared out there. There have been questions about his maturity and mental accumen to succeed. Sure you like his to trash talk his peers. Thats your choice but lets look at this kid since high school right to this point. There is no one here that is denying his talent. I have said before, based on pure talent and athletic ability, he has the potential to be the best player from this draft class.

However, talent alone is not enough and never will be enough. You need to have a certain level of maturity and mental toughness to succeed. Dogging on your peers is not on when you have proven nothing.

This is the kid that has shown a great deal of immaturity and inability to take responsibility for his actions. He wasn't bright enough to pass the entry exam and when questions were raised about his 2nd exam, rather than face the music, he bolts for europe. Once he gets there, he thinks just because he is a stay high school senior that he will be handed the team to him. It didn't happen. There is one thing that coaches value a great deal, that maturity and mental toughness. This kid doesn't have it. I hoped that his year in europe thought him a few things. That he became a bit more humble, a bit more mature but obviously not!

Sabastian Telfair had the talent but what ever happened to him?! Stephon Marbury had the talent but has never played for a winner because his ego was writing cheques that his game couldn't cash and has been a cancer his entire career. He has been run out of every team he has played for. Do we want that kind of player?!

Bricklayer made a very good point a while ago. You would hope that his year in europe has thought him something but there is always a danger that he will go back to his old habbits when he gets back home because he will have those same people hanging around him now that he did before and they will keep telling him how great he is and the worst thing is he will beleive it. He is obviously talented but his comments to the media in the last week have certainly raised a red flag with me. First he mouths off at Jrue Holiday and Teyeke Evans and now just trashes Rubio. He is talking the talk of a 10 time all-star but in reality he has proven nothing other than being a knucklehead!

If I had the choice of the pick, give me a kid with talent and great attitude and I know I will have a player who will never let me down. If I had to pick a talent who also happens to be a knucklehead (and has a history of being one) I know I wouldn't be getting much sleep at night if I was a GM or a coach.

This is not a question of Rubio Vs Jennings, its a question of character and quite frankly, after the least couple of days, I question whether Jennings has any.

His comments to me appear to be of this jelaous kid who screams "Look at me! Look at me!". How dare they ask me questions about Holiday, Evans or Rubio.....its all about me dawg!

It doesn't seem to be motivated by ego or confidence, his blatant misrepresentation of that game shows that he is desperate to come off as better than Rubio. Like dimedropper said, it shows more jealousy than ego, and that's not a good thing. That shows he's more interested in talking about how good he is rather than proving it.

Considering his maturity has been in question for awhile now, this isn't something that's being in question solely from two interviews and (at least for me) it isn't some final judgment of his character, but more like strikes against him.

I don't see how your Childress example shows that he's proven anything post-HS. I think there are things about Jennings that he has proven, but it's not his scoring ability, shooting, or advanced playmaking ability. He's still seen pretty much just as raw as he was in HS. These workouts don't really test Jennings' primary weaknesses.

It doesn't seem to be motivated by ego or confidence, his blatant misrepresentation of that game shows that he is desperate to come off as better than Rubio. Like dimedropper said, it shows more jealousy than ego, and that's not a good thing. That shows he's more interested in talking about how good he is rather than proving it.

Considering his maturity has been in question for awhile now, this isn't something that's being in question solely from two interviews and (at least for me) it isn't some final judgment of his character, but more like strikes against him.

I don't see how your Childress example shows that he's proven anything post-HS. I think there are things about Jennings that he has proven, but it's not his scoring ability, shooting, or advanced playmaking ability. He's still seen pretty much just as raw as he was in HS. These workouts don't really test Jennings' primary weaknesses.

I never said he was succesful post high school. I was just saying that the transition between American ball and Euro ball is tough.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I haven't seen any mention of actual workout video being available from Friday, but you might check the Kings website. We usually get those things posted by KINGSDOTCOM, but he didn't do it Friday... not sure why. It could have been overshadowed by the Westphal press conference.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
In Amick's blog he said extended video wasn't allowed given the "high stakes" of the matchup. Maybe the Kings will release something but I kind of doubt it.

In Amick's blog he said extended video wasn't allowed given the "high stakes" of the matchup. Maybe the Kings will release something but I kind of doubt it.
I was kind of expecting that, the Warriors didn't do it either. But, you know, I'm not sure how heavily something like that should be weighted, anyway. PGs can't be judged very well in the absence of a team to play with.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here's my two cents on this thing. When I was 18 years old, I was an idiot. Some people would say I still am. All I know is that I didn't have a real clue what life was all about. Nor did most of my friends. I was always amazed when I met someone my own age that seemed far wiser than he/she should have been. I just figured that they were from another planet or something.
I didn't have the where with all to take charge of my own bedroom, much less a basktetball team in the NBA. And yet, thats the onus we put upon these young men. We judge them by how they play. What they say. How they dress and what music they listen to. Hardly fair. But at the same time, some team is about to invest a lot of money in their future. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take notice when someone raises a red flag. But at the same time, I'm certainly not the same person today that I was when I was 18 years old.

So what I'm saying is that I don't think its fair to judge an 18 or 19 year old player the same way you would judge someone thats 28 or 29 years old. Not on their talent level or their character level. Both those things are likely to change, and hopefully for the better.

I admire Jenning's confidence, but not the way he expressed it. What he believes privitely is his own dark secret, and we'll never know. My grandmother told me that I should never judge people on what they say, but on what they do. Talk is cheap. I do know he said something stupid. I also know he took $50,000.00 of his own money and donated it to an earthquake fund over in europe. Personaly, I think his actions speak louder than his words..

Last edited:
Here's my two cents on this thing. When I was 18 years old, I was an idiot. Some people would say I still am. All I know is that I didn't have a real clue what life was all about. Nor did most of my friends. I was always amazed when I met someone my own age that seemed far wiser than he/she should have been. I just figured that they were from another planet or something.
I didn't have the where with all to take charge of my own bedroom, much less a basktetball team in the NBA. And yet, thats the onus we put upon these young men. We judge them by how they play. What they say. How they dress and what music they listen to. Hardly fair. But at the same time, some team is about to invest a lot of money in their future. I'm not saying that you shouldn't take notice when someone raises a red flag. But at the same time, I'm certainly not the same person today that I was when I was 18 years old.

So what I'm saying is that I don't think its fair to judge an 18 or 19 year old player the same way you would judge someone thats 28 or 29 years old. Not on their talent level or their character level. Both those things are likely to change, and hopefully for the better.

I admire Jenning's confidence, but not the way he expressed it. What he believes privitely is his own dark secret, and we'll never know. My grandmother told me that I should never judge people on what they say, but on what they do. Talk is cheap. I do know he said something stupid. I also know he took $50,000.00 of his own money and donated it to an earthquake fund over in europe. Personaly, I think his actions speak louder than his words..
There are different standards for basketball players because they're thrusted into much more mentally demanding careers much earlier than the average Joe and while for most people you expect them to mature once they're in their late twenties, that's far past a player's learning curve in the NBA. 18-24 are probably the most important years in a player's development and that's why you have to look for advanced maturity (relative to the general public) at those ages because they're going to need it in order to motivate themselves to develop their game and learn to take instruction. It's more important for Jennings because he's such a raw player and that is the x-factor for him.

I'm going to reiterate that none of this is conclusive, but rather pieces of evidence that goes against him. This is a very short period in time where Jennings has to prove quite a bit because he didn't get a chance to prove much in the Italian league, maybe that isn't a fair amount of time to evaluate a player's character but it's what the Kings have to work with. On talent alone I still think Jennings is the second best PG in this draft, but if he really feels the need to fudge facts in order to come off as a better player then that doesn't seem like a guy who's incredibly confident but rather self-conscious about his own actual achievements.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There are different standards for basketball players because they're thrusted into much more mentally demanding careers much earlier than the average Joe and while for most people you expect them to mature once they're in their late twenties, that's far past a player's learning curve in the NBA. 18-24 are probably the most important years in a player's development and that's why you have to look for advanced maturity (relative to the general public) at those ages because they're going to need it in order to motivate themselves to develop their game and learn to take instruction. It's more important for Jennings because he's such a raw player and that is the x-factor for him.

I'm going to reiterate that none of this is conclusive, but rather pieces of evidence that goes against him. This is a very short period in time where Jennings has to prove quite a bit because he didn't get a chance to prove much in the Italian league, maybe that isn't a fair amount of time to evaluate a player's character but it's what the Kings have to work with. On talent alone I still think Jennings is the second best PG in this draft, but if he really feels the need to fudge facts in order to come off as a better player then that doesn't seem like a guy who's incredibly confident but rather self-conscious about his own achievements.
I don't disagree with anything your saying. And I'm sure the Kings organization has a lot more to go on than we as fans do. So I'll trust their judgement. My only hope is that we don't pass on him because of some stupid thing he said and probably regrets saying, and find out 4 years later that he's one of the best point guards in the NBA. I'm by no means defending what he said, nor am I advocating that we draft him. I have no idea how good a player he will become. I just think that some of the reaction to his statements were a little extreme.

My guess is, although I doubt he would admit it, is that he knows he made a mistake going to europe. He gained little by sitting on the bench over there except anonymity. As a result he's probably trying to self-promote himself back into spotlight. Apparently he went to the Ali school of self-promotion. Not many people liked him either when he first arrived on the scene.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is, although I doubt he would admit it, is that he knows he made a mistake going to europe.
But that's just the thing. The mistake wasn't going to Europe. The mistake came earlier, when he didn't do the bare minimum to ensure that he would be eligible to play college ball. Europe only became an option because his scores were going to keep him from going to Arizona.

This is my point with Jennings. None of the things he's said and done are all that significant individually but in total they make you wonder if he "gets it". How committed is he to being a great player? He's got undeniable physical gifts, but that's not enough to be good in the NBA. Jennings to me has an incredibly high ceiling but I could just as easily see him flame out entirely as become a star.

Whatever I said about Jennings' immaturity, I don't know him as well as the Kings scouts and GP. I assume they'll do their due diligence. I do notice, though, that character and work ethic seem important to GP in the draft. And I think it should be important when your drafting very young men and you are taking a risk that they will work hard enough to realize their potential.

If GP drafts Jennings, I will assume he's satisfied enough with those aspects of Jennings.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Reynolds has already dismissed Jennings, at least for #4 consideration. Doesn't like him. Said he showed nothing in Europe to justify consideration. So why all the talk on Jennings?

Of all the players talked about in the top 7 or so, I'd give Jennings the least chance of being at #4, with Thabeet coming in second.

Whatever I said about Jennings' immaturity, I don't know him as well as the Kings scouts and GP. I assume they'll do their due diligence. I do notice, though, that character and work ethic seem important to GP in the draft.
I note that Jennings is cousin of Marcus Williams, who Geoff may have passed on (provoking many draft-night screams from Kings fans) for very similar reasons. I'm 100% sure that he tries to take character into account.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reynolds has already dismissed Jennings, at least for #4 consideration. Doesn't like him. Said he showed nothing in Europe to justify consideration. So why all the talk on Jennings?

Of all the players talked about in the top 7 or so, I'd give Jennings the least chance of being at #4, with Thabeet coming in second.
Yes, but what team official is completely candid with his opinion of potential draft picks? Jennings didn't show much in Europe, but it wasn't as if he was the starting PG and playing 40 minutes a night. He came off the bench, generally played less than 10 minutes and was often playing out of position at the 2 or 3. Besides, if that's the case, then why is Jrue Holiday under consideration (two workouts with the Kings) when he didn't show himself to be a PG during his time at UCLA. Jennings was the top PG recruit coming out of high school, ranked by most ABOVE Holiday.

I'm not saying the Kings will or won't draft Jennings. I'm just saying JR's reasoning is suspect and I don't take anything from any team's officials as gospel in the time leading up to the draft.