SAR Officially a King!!!

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Maybe so but when ESPN said that the draft pick traded was an expected lottery pick for NEXT season, then that made me think that they have already tossed away next season and are trying to rebuild. Part of the rebuilding is making this trade. They want to be back soon and not wait for draft picks to develop and become stars. They have a start and are willing to trade good picks for vets.

I could be wrong, BSPN could be wrong BUT if they do indeed intend on that draft pick being a lottery pick then I would think that they are rebuilding.
If that is the case then they would keep the pick especailly if they are tank this year. Why would you give up your pick next year if you are going tank and rebuild?

Well that's the thing, Songaila or Thomas are likely gone, or both. Trades. I think Thomas is more possible to stay than Songaila though. Wizards/Sonics/Sixers/Nets all have interest in him, the first two and NJ especially.

T

thesanityannex

SacTownKid said:
Not true. In a way it means that we can offer them a playoff team in its own right with a deal for Bonzi, Peja, and Shareef for KG + filler. Won't happen though, we will be too good.
How would we be TOO good. Bibby and Garnett + filler=No championship.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
thesanityannex said:
How would we be TOO good. Bibby and Garnett + filler=No championship.
However, Bibby, Garnett, MILLER and filler....

In any case, I'm not sure I can ever recall a team picking two major players up in one offseason and trading them away during the same offseason, so its moot.

T

thesanityannex

Bricklayer said:
However, Bibby, Garnett, MILLER and filler....

In any case, I'm not sure I can ever recall a team picking two major players up in one offseason and trading them away during the same offseason, so its moot.
I had forgotten about Miller, he's rarely talked about around here.

So when will we find out the length of his contract? Does anyone, even Petrie, know how long it is? There are different reports everywhere. SI.com has an article with the title "Kings sign Abdur-Rahim: Sacramento Quickly Signs Forward to one-year deal." But then states in the article, "The Kings signed Abdur-Rahim to a multiyear contract Friday,"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/08/12/bc.bkn.kings.abdur.rahim.ap/index.html

It may not seem like a big deal, but it will affect how I feel about it. One year is a waste, IMHO.

I am just curious as to the exact length.

chelle said:
So when will we find out the length of his contract? Does anyone, even Petrie, know how long it is? There are different reports everywhere. SI.com has an article with the title "Kings sign Abdur-Rahim: Sacramento Quickly Signs Forward to one-year deal." But then states in the article, "The Kings signed Abdur-Rahim to a multiyear contract Friday,"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/08/12/bc.bkn.kings.abdur.rahim.ap/index.html

It may not seem like a big deal, but it will affect how I feel about it. One year is a waste, IMHO.

I am just curious as to the exact length.

Kings sign Abdur-Rahim to 5-year, $29.3 million deal

var ppt=new Date(); var ppp=new Date('Fri Aug 12 21:12:00 PDT 2005'); var ppe=new Date(ppp.getTime()+1*(86400000)); var ppv=0; if (ppt < ppe) { ppv=1; } By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 9:12 pm PDT Friday, August 12, 2005

Get the latest news in sacbee.com's Kings Alert newsletter. Sign up here.
Shareef Abdur-Rahim walked in the room as a $100 million man before the purple ink had been signed. Before his deal with New Jersey fell through on Tuesday, and even before he hit the free agent market after leaving Portland last season, the 28-year-old had achieved the sort of feats that bring in dreamy kinds of cash, but nothing in the way of priceless legacies.

OAS_AD('Button20');

So when the Kings introduced Abdur-Rahim as their own Friday, the nine-year veteran looked very content for someone who will be supremely underpaid by market value.
When it came official, the Kings and their new player, who made $14.6 million last year alone, agreed to a five-year, $29.3 million contract. The Kings, who are over the salary cap, used their mid-level exception to add the one-time All-Star, with the first year worth $5 million and 8 percent increases every year thereafter. This deal was nothing like the 6-year, $38 million he lost out on with New Jersey, or the 5-year, $47 million contract he turned down from Milwaukee in the early summer. Then again, Abdur-Rahim said, it's not just about the money anymore.

He's never been in the playoffs, will never forget the six seasons in which his team couldn't break the 30-win barrier, and never plans to return to those days.

"The biggest thing for me was just getting on a team to win, and win big and compete at a high level," Abdur-Rahim said. "That's what I want to do for the rest of my career, and the guys that are already here are used to winning."

The question that will loom for the next half-decade is whether the $100 million man can be Bionic Man too. Abdur-Rahim only came the Kings' way because New Jersey lost faith in Abdur-Rahim's longevity and nixed a sign-and-trade with Portland three days before. Scar tissue popped up during Abdur-Rahim's physical with the Nets, leading team president Rod Thorn to fear arthritis in the long term and, in general, pass on what he perceived as a dangerous investment.

Abdur-Rahim was miffed by the whole ordeal. He said the Nets nearly convinced him that his body wasn't right, if only because one team doctor out of four, according to his agent Aaron Goodwin, threw up the red flag. The Kings doctors performed their own extensive medical checkup when Abdur-Rahim came to Sacramento on Thursday, including multiple MRIs. Goodwin said Abdur-Rahim has a bone spur in his right knee that's been there since he had arthroscopic surgery when he was 15, but there were no signs of imminent danger.

"It's like anybody if you go to the doctor and the doctor tells you your sick, you think, 'Well it's a doctor so he must know,'" said Abdur-Rahim, who has never missed time because of the knee. "But I'd always go back to the fact that I knew how I felt, I knew I hadn't hurt myself, I hadn't missed games. ... I'm just happy, I'm thankful, I'm grateful that this situation was here for me and I'm just ready to go."

The clincher, Goodwin said, was the Kings' confidence in Abdur-Rahim amid so much doubt.

"They easily could've said, 'What's wrong with your knee, maybe we'll bring you in, check you out, offer you a one or two year deal," Goodwin said. "They didn't. They immediately said, 'We know how good you are. ... We want you. Whether you want a one year deal or a five year deal, we want you. I think that meant a lot to him."

Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said the knee was a non-issue.

"He took an extensive physical here, and he passed," Petrie said. "We're comfortable with his future as a player and his productivity."

The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at (916) 326-5582 or samick@sacbee.com.

Entity

Hall of Famer
captain bill said:
sounds better...but 5 years is long. hmm. peja can leave next year, sar plays sf, we go after a good tough pf/c. lets hope sar holds up this long
Now that sounds very interesting to me. we always say GP thinks years ahead. Maybe next year is what this signing was about especially since Ben Wallace is a FA next year and so is Amare Stoudimire. Now if we can just dump KT for an expiring contract and take that and Peja off the books going into Free Agency next year we could offer some $ to somebody.

By the way i have a feeling that role player will be Matt Barnes. He is a great role player that fully accepts his role.

Entity said:
Now that sounds very interesting to me. we always say GP thinks years ahead. Maybe next year is what this signing was about especially since Ben Wallace is a FA next year and so is Amare Stoudimire. Now if we can just dump KT for an expiring contract and take that and Peja off the books going into Free Agency next year we could offer some $ to somebody.

By the way i have a feeling that role player will be Matt Barnes. He is a great role player that fully accepts his role.
We can only hope. I just hope he gets some minutes next year if it is him. He is an awsome talent and a great hustle guy. There were some nights I wished Rick would just sit Peja and Let Matt play.

SacTownKid said:
We can only hope. I just hope he gets some minutes next year if it is him. He is an awsome talent and a great hustle guy. There were some nights I wished Rick would just sit Peja and Let Matt play.
same here

I'd rather have Barnes back than Songaila.

Sign Barnes and a defensive role player like was anounced...

altho, dowe have any more MLE left? i dont quite know how SAR's contract works out

Entity

Hall of Famer
Corlis would have to be moved because he just wouldn't make sense. Maybe a trade for another 7 footer that hasn't meet his potential yet. Maybe Rebracca or somebody along those lines.

T

thesanityannex

just checked the lakers boards, and this trade has most of them whining at how crappy their gm. it is pretty funny. thanks to whoever posted the lakersground.net, i think i will be joining there shortly, oh the fun i will have.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Barnes could be had for the LLE or less very easily just because of the fact that Sacramento is where he wants to be. Plus that is what he is worth not much more.

BTW Yahoo has a pole going if SAR is a good fit or not out of 4500 ppl 71% say yes.

thesanityannex said:
just checked the lakers boards, and this trade has most of them whining at how crappy their gm. it is pretty funny. thanks to whoever posted the lakersground.net, i think i will be joining there shortly, oh the fun i will have.
lol nice sanity

have fun for me too, im too lazy to check their boards

Entity said:
Barnes could be had for the LLE or less very easily just because of the fact that Sacramento is where he wants to be. Plus that is what he is worth not much more.

BTW Yahoo has a pole going if SAR is a good fit or not out of 4500 ppl 71% say yes.
the prob is taht barnes did that last year and got traded...maybe he'll just ask for a no-trade clause along with it...which i think is reasonable

and about the yahoo thing, yeah i saw that too....good stuff, but eh, most ppl r idiots anyway...

we just have to wait and see (although i voted yes:) )

BobbyJ_for3! said:
the prob is taht barnes did that last year and got traded...maybe he'll just ask for a no-trade clause along with it...which i think is reasonable

and about the yahoo thing, yeah i saw that too....good stuff, but eh, most ppl r idiots anyway...

we just have to wait and see (although i voted yes:) )
Don't forget that Petrie had to do anything he could to move the Webber deal. If Matt comes back, like he said he hoped, then all is good.

Entity said:
Corlis would have to be moved because he just wouldn't make sense. Maybe a trade for another 7 footer that hasn't meet his potential yet. Maybe Rebracca or somebody along those lines.
I think Corliss will be moved too. Rebraca? No, he already re-signed with Clippers. Francisco Elson (unresrtricted free-agent from Nuggets) would be a fine choice for back-up center, is a 2-year player. Denver's only mentioned they "want to keep him". But that was early in the off-season. Nothing else since really.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/francisco_elson/index.html

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/francisco_elson.htm

Last edited:
Yeah, but what if he is traded (though I don't think he will be), we can and should get someone bigger. Ostertag was slated to be Brad's back-up, he was a 7 footer. Skinner I think would play PF more anyways if he stays, which is more his position. From potential trades/pick-ups we could have:

Skinner at C, Evans at PF.

Etan at C, Skinner at PF. With the two switching, as both are PF/C players.

Elson at C, Skinner at PF.

Or the least possible ones: Etan at center, Evans at PF. Elson at C, Etan or Evans at PF. ;)

Hell, even Eddie Griffin at PF, though he is the least possibility to be had. Or Melvin Ely.

Last edited:
BobbyJ_for3! said:
same here

I'd rather have Barnes back than Songaila.

Sign Barnes and a defensive role player like was anounced...

altho, dowe have any more MLE left? i dont quite know how SAR's contract works out
I think the idea is that the role player they were talking about may be Matt.

why does it always seem like when the kings have a player, he plays really good right before he leaves the team? Webber: remember the triple double spree he had? Barnes: won the game against the knicks for us. Mo evans: only person that did anything in game 5.

kingsofnba said:
i have a feeling the "role player" is matt barnes... at this point in the off season, most "role players" are waiting to see if they can get more money... whoever signs now will probably be getting the vet min.... only a player who is really eager to join a team NOW would sign so quickly... i have a feeling they are talking about bringing back matt barnes
if matt comes back, the kings will have some good energy and defensive hustle coming off the bench... the kings lineup would be pretty balanced overall...

PF SAR/ Thomas
SF Peja/ Corliss/ Barnes
C Miller/ Skinner/ Sampson
SG Wells/ Martin/ Garcia
PG Bibby/ Hart/ Price

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Čarolija said:
Stoked that we signed SAR for 5 years, $29million. I think thats a BARGAIN.
A bargain is an understatement. That's not much more than Webb will be earning in the LAST YEAR of his contract.

BibityBobtyBoom said:
why does it always seem like when the kings have a player, he plays really good right before he leaves the team? Webber: remember the triple double spree he had? Barnes: won the game against the knicks for us. Mo evans: only person that did anything in game 5.

Where's Micheal Bradley on your list?!?!?!?!?!?!?!