SAR Officially a King!!!

ForlornKing said:
As much of I like Matt Barnes, I don't think he is the "sparkplug" that we need coming of the bench. Matt Harpring IMO would be a better back up SF.
\
Amen to Harpring. Him or James Jones would be ideal back-up SF, who could play SG too. Barnes/A. Griffin/S. Anderson behind them. :D

ForlornKing said:
As much of I like Matt Barnes, I don't think he is the "sparkplug" that we need coming of the bench. Matt Harpring IMO would be a better back up SF.
\
No kidding. But you can't just go out and get a guy like Harpring. You most certainly would have to give up something of value to get him.

SacTownKid said:
No kidding. But you can't just go out and get a guy like Harpring. You most certainly would have to give up something of value to get him.
And can we not give value in return?

KT and Corliss For Matt Harprin and 1st round pick

ForlornKing said:
And can we not give value in return?

KT and Corliss For Matt Harprin and 1st round pick
Part 2 of the equation; they have to want what you're offering. They are looking to dump Harpring by all accounts. We don't have anything they would be looking for.

Yes, surprisingly, I think I've been the only person to bring him up since I came here. He's an RFA, yeah, but he could be had by trade, like Reggie Evans.

Kings113 said:
I think Corliss will be moved too. Rebraca? No, he already re-signed with Clippers. Francisco Elson (unresrtricted free-agent from Nuggets) would be a fine choice for back-up center, is a 2-year player. Denver's only mentioned they "want to keep him". But that was early in the off-season. Nothing else since really.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/francisco_elson/index.html

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/francisco_elson.htm
Elston is NOT a free agent. If we want him, we would have to trade with Denver to get him.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm

Damn, well I guess I got him mixed up with Buckner/Person, or I missed them getting him to that for this season. Doesn't mean he still couldn't be had though, would be a fine back-up for us.

Great, great deal, however you look at it. Even if SAR doesn't address our needs, to get player of his caliber on the cheap like this cannot be anything but a positive. Petrie has done it again, although this time he had to go undercover as a physician to get the job done.;) Move over Jerry Buss, there is a new Doctor in town. Now back to our needs, here's who I would like to see us try for:

Reggie Evans- Many teams prolly interested, so he will not come cheap.
Matt Harpring- Same goes for this guy, would love to see him back up Peja.
Doug Christie- I know he had an oral agreement with the Mavs, but I think he still has juice left in him especially in limited minutes. Make it happen.
Etan Thomas- If Evans is unattainable (which he pobably is) I want this guy. A true workhorse.
Matt Barnes- If we cannot swing Harpring. Either him or James Jones will do fine.
Darius Songaila- Petrie needs to re-sign this guy. We cannot let a big with his talent get away, esp since we have early bird rights. He might have to settle for being third string though.

A lot of these are either/or scenarios, given the roster space we have left.

Last edited:
Venom said:
What the heck are these guys talking about? What area, singular, does he improve us in, let alone multiple areas? I shall dub Petrie the Wizard of Oz, because I think he has been living off reputation for some time now. Do these guys even watch the playoffs after they are eliminated? Are they aware of the kind of teams that really do win championships? I really hope that this is a one year deal, because paying SAR until he is 34 would just be ridiculous. By the bye, what, EXACTLY, was the point of trading CWebb again? We are right back in "win now" mode, with no developing young talent, and all the worthless deadwood we got in the Webber deal are still wearing Kings jerseys. Is there any chance we could pry Dumars away from the Pistons?
I would not call Thomas, Skinner and corlis dead wood. Young talent, martin, cisco, and if he comes back, evans. I'm not sure what you want. This team will be able to compete and contend for a title, IMO. The webber trade was to get rid of $15-20 million in salary per year. :confused: Webber was never going to be the player he was before the injury. I'm confused by what you said about the "win now" mode.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KingsFan54 said:
I would not call Thomas, Skinner and corlis dead wood. Young talent, martin, cisco, and if he comes back, evans. I'm not sure what you want. This team will be able to compete and contend for a title, IMO. The webber trade was to get rid of $15-20 million in salary per year. :confused: Webber was never going to be the player he was before the injury. I'm confused by what you said about the "win now" mode.
We have rid ourselves of exactly ZERO dollars a year so far in the Webber trade. His entire salary is still on the books in the persons of the three amigos. Nto only that, it will still be on the books NEXT year as well, and about half of it is going to still be there in 2010. :eek:

What's done is done, but as long as the "Webebr three" remain on the books in undiluted form, now not even starting but just providing a series of mismatched bench pieces, the question is going to linger about why do you do that deal?

Here's a somewhat interesting lineup for you to consider:

C- Miller
PF- Webber
SF- Peja
OG- Bonzi
PG- Bibby
6th- Abdur-Rahim

Still couldn't stop anybody, but what talent!

KingKong said:
Great, great deal, however you look at it. Even if SAR doesn't address our needs, to get player of his caliber on the cheap like this cannot be anything but a positive. Petrie has done it again, although this time he had to go undercover as a physician to get the job done.;) Move over Jerry Buss, there is a new Doctor in town. Now back to our needs, here's who I would like to see us try for:

Reggie Evans- Many teams prolly interested, so he will not come cheap.
Matt Harpring- Same goes for this guy, would love to see him back up Peja.
Doug Christie- I know he had an oral agreement with the Mavs, but I think he still has juice left in him especially in limited minutes. Make it happen.
Etan Thomas- If Evans is unattainable (which he pobably is) I want this guy. A true workhorse.
Matt Barnes- If we cannot swing Harpring. Either him or James Jones will do fine.
Darius Songaila- Petrie needs to re-sign this guy. We cannot let a big with his talent get away, esp since we have early bird rights. He might have to settle for being third string though.

A lot of these are either/or scenarios, given the roster space we have left.
Agreed on everyone but Doug and Songaila. We'd likely have to trade him to get Evans or Etan Thomas because they both have high interest in him, especially Washington. I don't think Evans is unattainable by trade, because of Songaila. Doug? Unless it's for cheap, and in limited minutes sure, but all possibility of him coming back now is gone. I actually have only read 2 or 3 teams interested in Evans (Seattle/Minny (which is a fantasy for them)/Philly).

Great to see you mentioned James Jones, but actually put the guy on the list. :)

Also, aside from getting Etan Thomas or Reggie Evans for back-up PF, I think Melvin Ely is good too. Eddie Griffin is still out there, but who knows what Minnesota wants aside from Mo.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
What's done is done, but as long as the "Webebr three" remain on the books in undiluted form, now not even starting but just providing a series of mismatched bench pieces, the question is going to linger about why do you do that deal?
They'll (the 3 amigos) be gone soon enough. They're good solid players... Petrie will be able to move them rather easily when the right deal comes along, as opposed to Webber's giganto contract, which was much more difficult to move.

The thing I'm most happy about is that we now have similar talent to what we had in 2002, AND, as opposed to mass confusion about the team leader three years ago, we know who the unquestioned leader of the team is: Mike Bibby. Only good things will happen if the team follows in Bibby's footsteps. Bibby lead 'Zona to the national title in '98... having the strength and toughness to lead a team to an NCAA championship certainly isn't an easy task... just ask Webber. With Abdur-Rahim, we now have three talented starters (Peja, Reef, Brad) who don't mind falling into line and doing what they're told. Bonzi hopefully will follow. Because this is now Bibby's team.

Last edited:
That sounds great, but I think it will take Bibby at least one more year, maybe two, before he'll truly lead the team if it happens. It will also be interesting to see what role Wells plays in the emergence of a team leader... will he disrupt or intimidate Bibby and diminish his impact as a leader, or will he sign on and be the mouth that does all the talking for the leader?

Bricklayer

kingkung said:
They'll (the 3 amigos) be gone soon enough. They're good solid players... Petrie will be able to move them rather easily when the right deal comes along, as opposed to Webber's giganto contract, which was much more difficult to move.
They're solid players with bad contracts. Not so easy to move.

I don't think Wells should be that much of a problem.. From what I recall- wasn't most of his differences due to playing time? Which should be no problem, since he's the projected starter..

His best season was in 2001-2002 w/ 17pts a game..that was with Pippen, R.Wallace and Stoudamire at the helm..

Bricklayer said:
We have rid ourselves of exactly ZERO dollars a year so far in the Webber trade. His entire salary is still on the books in the persons of the three amigos. Nto only that, it will still be on the books NEXT year as well, and about half of it is going to still be there in 2010. :eek:

Here's a somewhat interesting lineup for you to consider:

C- Miller
PF- Webber
SF- Peja
OG- Bonzi
PG- Bibby
6th- Abdur-Rahim

Still couldn't stop anybody, but what talent!
Its easier to trade 3 small contracts, players, then it is one big one. I think that is why they made the trade.

Bricklayer

IVote4Replay said:
I don't think Wells should be that much of a problem.. From what I recall- wasn't most of his differences due to playing time? Which should be no problem, since he's the projected starter..

His best season was in 2001-2002 w/ 17pts a game..that was with Pippen, R.Wallace and Stoudamire at the helm..
So they say -- but while I like the move he's been an unmitigated *** for hsi entire career, starting or not, scoring or not. Just been a prick really. (see if that gets caught by the filters ;) ).