SAR Officially a King!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
DocHolliday said:
What the hell we didn't lock him up for a while. I wonder if he only wanted a year so that if he did really good, he could try to up the kings for more money. Hopefully he'll be a restricted free agent so we can try to match. This doesn't make much sense to me. He was going to have a 4 or 5 year deal with NJ

I'll repeat this post form the other thread (something I never do, but oh well):

One year?

Now that's interesting...

Does make sense in a way though:
1) SAR is coming to Sacto just looking to regain his market value so he can secure a mega-contact next year.
2) Geoff is keeping as much salary as possible off the books next year, and not tying the Maloofs down to a long term contract that thye might be squeamish about.
3) Takes the knee entirely out of the equation really.

Kajun said:
It's interesting it's just a one year deal. Abdur-Rahim could likely re-sign for early Bird Rights -- if I'm not mistaken -- for a bigger contract next year. Should he wish to stay in SAC, of course.
Were did you hear that this was only a one year deal? Did they say that in the Press Conf? I missed most the news when the announcement broke.

It sounds grand¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ Finally, Sacto gets a talented player. I think he will average around 4 asst/game. It will be greater to watch the games, but will we be able to dream??

Does anyone think that wells will play as peja back-up instead of to play as a SG in the line-up?

Has sampson ever played in any NBA team?

Oh Brick answered above. Gotta think about this. If it is a one year deal then IMO not a bad move as it really doesn't hurt our future. Doesn't help much either but we get a one year tryout and see what happens.

baiarri said:
It sounds grand¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ Finally, Sacto gets a talented player. I think he will average around 4 asst/game. It will be greater to watch the games, but will we be able to dream??

Does anyone think that wells will play as peja back-up instead of to play as a SG in the line-up?

Has sampson ever played in any NBA team?
Nope, Wells will start at SG most likely.

Sampson played with the Bobcats, Lakers and Bucks.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, what a one year deal definitely does is ensure that SAR won't be a King after the season. Without his Bird rights (or even his early bird rights) the Kings will be over the cap and unable to bring him back.

I was hoping for three years and I'm waiting to see official word that it is only a one year deal.

mazzystar said:
ESPN is reporting that its a one year deal for the full MLE... One year??
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2132889
One year??? espn is saying it is "believed" to be a one year deal... i still somewhat doubt that, because SAR was about to sign for the full mle for 5 years/$29mil with the nets (if portland didn't agree to the trade)... so i would think he would want to secure his future with a longer term contract... he would have no security from a 1 year contract... i will hold out until we hear the number of years for sure... for now, it is just speculation on the length of the contract

Last edited:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Folsom Al said:
Hoochie-Momma ..... we're smokin' now !!!

Hoochie-Momma! ? :eek:

I agree, we now become a force once they get used to each other. And that could, and likely will, take 30-40 games into the season. WOW, gotta love it! :D

Bricklayer said:
I'll repeat this post form the other thread (something I never do, but oh well):

One year?

Now that's interesting...

1) SAR is coming to Sacto just looking to regain his market value so he can secure a mega-contact next year.
2) Geoff is keeping as much salary as possible off the books next year, and not tying the Maloofs down to a long term contract that thye might be squeamish about.
3) Takes the knee entirely out of the equation really.
Yeah, I just now saw the one year thing on realgm, and that worries me. SAR is an upgrade over Thomas, but maybe we'll just hold on to them both and then go back to Thomas in a year. I don't like the way this looks right now.

CruzDude said:
Hoochie-Momma! ? :eek:

I agree, we now become a force once they get used to each other. And that could, and likely will, take 30-40 games into the season. WOW, gotta love it! :D
don't know about 30-40 games at all.

kingsofnba said:
One year??? espn is saying it is "believed" to be a one year deal... i still somewhat doubt that, because SAR was about to sign for the full mle for 5 years/$29mil with the nets (if portland didn't agree to the trade)... so i would think he would want to secure his future with a longer term contract... he would have no security from a 1 year contract... i will hold out until we hear the number of years for sure... for now, it is just speculation on the length of the contract
also, why would he accept a 1 year contract for less money($5mil), when the nets were offering to give him a 3 year deal for about $7mil/year guarenteed with options for 4th and 5th year... it would make no sense to take less money on a one year contract, when he could of had 3 years guarenteed for $7mil/year...

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
Bricklayer said:
I'll agree with you on that. Sacramento seems to be the place where players get a second chance. Webber, Doug, Vlade, Mike, Bjax all come into mind. Other than Portland, SAR has never been in an environment with great fans like Sacramento....I mean come on. Vancouver fans used to clap every time there was a free throw because they thought it was for two points. Hopefully ARCO will boost his ego and remind him of the player he once was.

CruzDude

Re one year contract. Doesn't it need to be 2 years so he becomes a restricted free agent and the Kings can match any other salary offer and even offer him more???

One year seems odd on one hand but as Brick points out has benefits on the other. Maybe the new CBA allows the Kings some resigning advantages that weren't there in the old CBA.

DocHolliday said:
Just announced on KHTK It's apparently a 5 year deal..whew makes more sense
sounds better...but 5 years is long. hmm. peja can leave next year, sar plays sf, we go after a good tough pf/c. lets hope sar holds up this long

captain bill said:
sounds better...but 5 years is long. hmm. peja can leave next year, sar plays sf, we go after a good tough pf/c. lets hope sar holds up this long
Well int he future if there was something better out there he is a very tradeable piece for his contract vs. salary vs. talent.

Friday, August 12, 2005

KINGS SIGN FREE AGENT FORWARD SHAREEF ABDUR-RAHIM
Press Conference Quotes

Geoff Petrie on the newest King:
“It gives me great pleasure to introduce the newest Sacramento King, Shareef Abdur-Rahim who we just signed this afternoon to a contract. He is a proven NBA player of a very high-caliber and we think he’ll improve our team in areas where we wanted to get better and give us dimensions on the block. He’s not only been a high-caliber player but also a high-caliber citizen. I really think you’ll enjoy him as a person and an individual. It has been a little bit of an odyssey in how he arrived here at this point in time. We spent some time with him earlier in the free agency process and had a great visit and that time and I think it was a terrific opportunity for us to become re-involved again and make him a Sacramento King.”

Abdur-Rahim on his thoughts about becoming a King:
“I thank God for this opportunity. The fans here and the overall atmosphere here is very exciting and I think it’s going to be a great experience. Things happened in an unpredictable manner regarding the New Jersey situation. Even when I made the decision to commit to New Jersey, it was between coming here or going there. Sacramento moved on and wouldn’t have become an opportunity and I would’ve been left scrambling to go anywhere, so more than anything I’m thankful that this situation was still here for me. I’m excited to come here and compete with a great group of guys and try and win a championship—and at this point in my career, that’s what it was about for me.

Answering questions about his health:
“The only thing I can tell you is that I’m healthy. I guess they (Nets) did their physical and some something that made them uncomfortable. I’ve never missed games or practices because of my knees so like I said, their concerns came out of the blue to me. As far as what went on in New Jersey, my focus, my heart and my attention is here. I’m ready to move forward and be apart of this team.”

About locating to Northern California:
“Since college I’ve always like this area. I spent two or three years after college here in the off-season so if I have a second home other than Atlanta it would be here.”

On what attracted him about the Kings:
“The biggest thing for me was trying to get on a team that had a chance to win and win big. That’s what I want to try and do for the rest of my career. The guys that are already here are accustomed to winning and competing at a high level. I’m looking forward to coming in and being a part of it. It’s a nice fit for me here.”

On playing with Mike Bibby in Vancouver early in their careers:
“I thought we had fun together. I had fun playing with Mike. I think it was tough on everyone because we were two to three year-old franchise and playing in a country that wasn’t a basketball country but nevertheless we enjoyed each other. It’s going to be fun great playing with him in a better situation.”

Kings Head Coach Rick Adelman on Abdur-Rahim:
“We haven’t had much of an inside game the last few years with Chris’ (Webber) injury and Vlade (Divac) leaving. Shareef gives us a presence inside and a proven scorer inside. He’s also a guy that can step out a face the basket and shoot the ball, which blends in nicely with what we do. I think we’ve been able to add pieces that are going to fit together well. The challenge this team has is that so many new players have to come together quickly. I talking with Shareef and the other players we have, we’re all about trying to win as a team. I’m excited this worked out.”

the thing that i like most about SAR is that he signed with the nets, then the kings, for less money than he could have got elsewhere... he was offered 6 years, $42mil or more by the bucks, but turned it down for a chance to win... this is the type of character that you want in a player... not like mobley going to the clippers for more money...

hopefully, SAR comes to sacto with a purpose... the kings haven't had that "chip on the shoulders" mentality since 2002-03 season... now with SAR and wells on board, hopefully they can regain that "chip on their shoulder" mentality...

PFFFT!! said:
"We're really delighted to be able to add a high-caliber player, as well as a high-quality person to our team," Kings President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie said in a statement. "His addition will improve us in a number of areas in which we wanted to get better."

"We're very happy that it worked out the way it did," Kings coach Rick Adelman said in a statement. "He's a guy we wanted all along. I think Shareef is going to really help us. He gives us a proven scorer inside. He's also a very good rebounder. He's going to give us a threat around the basket that we need at this point with this team."
What the heck are these guys talking about? What area, singular, does he improve us in, let alone multiple areas? I shall dub Petrie the Wizard of Oz, because I think he has been living off reputation for some time now. Do these guys even watch the playoffs after they are eliminated? Are they aware of the kind of teams that really do win championships? I really hope that this is a one year deal, because paying SAR until he is 34 would just be ridiculous. By the bye, what, EXACTLY, was the point of trading CWebb again? We are right back in "win now" mode, with no developing young talent, and all the worthless deadwood we got in the Webber deal are still wearing Kings jerseys. Is there any chance we could pry Dumars away from the Pistons?

CruzDude

SAR brings some nice stats as well. Over his career his stats are:

37 mpg
47% FG
82% FT
8.1 Reb
2.7 apg
1.07 spg
19.8 ppg

If you drop out his first two years in VAN he has been an 84% FT since with 3 years at 87% and 88%. Gotta love that: a big guy who can hit his FT. Dream: Brad and SAR hitting 85% of their FT from banging down under. This is better than we could have hoped for.

Venom said:
What the heck are these guys talking about? What area, singular, does he improve us in, let alone multiple areas? I shall dub Petrie the Wizard of Oz, because I think he has been living off reputation for some time now. Do these guys even watch the playoffs after they are eliminated? Are they aware of the kind of teams that really do win championships? I really hope that this is a one year deal, because paying SAR until he is 34 would just be ridiculous. By the bye, what, EXACTLY, was the point of trading CWebb again? We are right back in "win now" mode, with no developing young talent, and all the worthless deadwood we got in the Webber deal are still wearing Kings jerseys. Is there any chance we could pry Dumars away from the Pistons?
Well he's 28 so the contract is till he's 33. Also with the salary that he got 5 years for 29 million he's very tradeable down the road if there was something we wanted to trade for. We needed someone better over KT at PF, we got the best one that was available in our price range. You can't really complain about getting SAR. Well you can, but I'll point and laugh at you :D

kingsofnba said:
the thing that i like most about SAR is that he signed with the nets, then the kings, for less money than he could have got elsewhere... he was offered 6 years, $42mil or more by the bucks, but turned it down for a chance to win... this is the type of character that you want in a player... not like mobley going to the clippers for more money...

hopefully, SAR comes to sacto with a purpose... the kings haven't had that "chip on the shoulders" mentality since 2002-03 season... now with SAR and wells on board, hopefully they can regain that "chip on their shoulder" mentality...[/QUOTE

He turned down the Bucks for more money with the Nets, then that fell through and Petrie still had an offer on the table.